Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

If the debt rises above $50 trillion, we all turn into pumpkins.

And that's why it's important to pay your taxes!

Dammerung fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Stereotype posted:

This is dumb.

Tell me what you want to test besides “people with 5g vs people with no 5g,” because there is no known physical phenomenon that affects cells or DNA or any chemical reactions at any frequencies up to 100GHz, especially at the low signal strengths they are going to be using.

If you can name one then yeah we should test it, but physicists and chemists don’t know about it probably because it doesn’t exist.

You should be far far more afraid of the sun.

There are some studies suggest that constant, prolonged exposure had some celluar effects on rats and rabbits but I think the consensus at the time was that A. The animals in question are way smaller then humans and B. They basically had exposure 24/7 for a long period ofntime.

The whole fear of base stations or whatever is unfounded though.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 22, 2019

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
The dangers of 5G are literally a Russian propaganda campaign.

Edit:
Oh no doubt.
vvvvvvvv

Zisky fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 22, 2019

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mummy Xzibit posted:

The dangers of 5G are literally a Russian propaganda campaign.

Yes, but its playing off the dangers of wifi and cell phone thing that has been around for awhile.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Stereotype posted:

This is dumb.

Tell me what you want to test besides “people with 5g vs people with no 5g,” because there is no known physical phenomenon that affects cells or DNA or any chemical reactions at any frequencies up to 100GHz, especially at the low signal strengths they are going to be using.

If you can name one then yeah we should test it, but physicists and chemists don’t know about it probably because it doesn’t exist.

You should be far far more afraid of the sun.

Or by the 'signal density' logic any visible light.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1131137371305644033

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i am harry posted:

While we're on that subject please don't anyone forget that once Americans noticed their kids were dying to IEDs in some desert, the Bush admin tried to pivot through "The Axis of Evil", raising the specter of NK and Iran as next destinations for the public to focus on and cheer for instead of worrying about what was going on in Iraq.

The axis of evil speech was given in january 2002 at his state of the union, well before the invasion of iraq, though the drum beat was starting. At the time, Afghanistan was going very well, and the whole world (including iran) was still on our side. In the very early days of the invasion of afghanistan the iranian national guard was on our side. we did joint missions with them.

The real reason for that was at the time no one was quiiiiiiite sure what was going to become of that US-Saudi alliance. Luckily the bush family wasn't going to take that opportunity to toss them into the garbage bin and shift to the much more sensible ally in the region so opportunity wasted.

But yeah, axis of evil was over a year before taking baghdad.

there wolf posted:

Why would the City of Savannah have a problem with that? This was probably just some regulation tour guide companies got into place to reduce competition.

Savannah is a very black, very liberal town that's mostly northern tourists or just locals. You can tell the difference because the locals will be passed out drunk everywhere. Sherman didn't burn it, and it's absolutely gorgeous.

There are obviously confederate cemeteries, but people down there take their civil war history VERY seriously, and someone that just started spouting off some nonsense would probably get jumped by aforementioned drunk locals.

Seriously you don't know what alcoholism is until you've been to savannah.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
With Hunt 2: Witch Hunter

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah but why-iran-in-specific was more what i was answering

We already hosed over Iraq, Kuwait, and Afghanistan. We can't gently caress over the Saudis because reasons, so who's left? Let's go gently caress with Iran again.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Telsa Cola posted:

Somewhat related but Arizona is looking at doing something similar (repealing the need for certification and exams) for archaeology work in the state and I basically cant stop screaming.

Edit: To clarify, I am screaming because people absolutely need to be trained to do archaeology and its a reaaaallly bad idea to let uncertified people do it.

Can't wait to go to Gettysburg to listen to Billy Bob explaining how the battle wasn't a Confederate defeat and how glorious and brave the rebels were when they whooped those yankee dogs

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SocketWrench posted:

Can't wait to go to Gettysburg to listen to Billy Bob explaining how the battle wasn't a Confederate defeat and how glorious and brave the rebels were when they whooped those yankee dogs

That's not going to happen at a place like gettysburg, or chancellorsville, or wherever. The people that get into civil war tourguiding aren't the dumb yeehaws but the weird nerds that like to hypothetically min/max meigs' supply lines or poo poo like that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Savannah is a very black, very liberal town that's mostly northern tourists or just locals. You can tell the difference because the locals will be passed out drunk everywhere. Sherman didn't burn it, and it's absolutely gorgeous.

There are obviously confederate cemeteries, but people down there take their civil war history VERY seriously, and someone that just started spouting off some nonsense would probably get jumped by aforementioned drunk locals.

Seriously you don't know what alcoholism is until you've been to savannah.

Seriously, Savannah's probably the only place I've been where there were English, Irish, and Scottish pubs all within staggering distance of each other. If I was ever to move down South, I'd try to move there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The craziness about EM signals somehow being bad for your health is a world wide thing. In Israel, they have signs in some of the elevators asking you to not use your phone because some people think the signal will be "trapped" in there with them and cause some sort of medical crisis. I've never seen anyone actually care when I ignored the signs, but apparently some people freak the gently caress out.

Why people are more worried about lower energy frequencies like WiFi and cell signals and not higher energy ones like goodamn light is beyond me. (No it's not, it's because they're invisible and invisible things are scary. These are probably the same people that walk around with no sunscreen because the sun is "natural")

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

The craziness about EM signals somehow being bad for your health is a world wide thing. In Israel, they have signs in some of the elevators asking you to not use your phone because some people think the signal will be "trapped" in there with them and cause some sort of medical crisis. I've never seen anyone actually care when I ignored the signs, but apparently some people freak the gently caress out.

Why people are more worried about lower energy frequencies like WiFi and cell signals and not higher energy ones like goodamn light is beyond me. (No it's not, it's because they're invisible and invisible things are scary. These are probably the same people that walk around with no sunscreen because the sun is "natural")

Funny you should mention that... https://www.outsideonline.com/2380751/sunscreen-sun-exposure-skin-cancer-science

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

KillHour posted:

The answer to that one is simple: the Microwave oven. Nevermind standing waves. To them, it's EM -> boiling water.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 22, 2019

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Telsa Cola posted:

Yes, but its playing off the dangers of wifi and cell phone thing that has been around for awhile.

I think the first article I ever read about someone claiming to have their health affected by non-ionizing radiation in ~2004 featured a photo of the person in question in their kitchen next to an old school chrome toaster. Christ that was funny.

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
It'd be nice if the IRS actually could, you know, enforce its regulations and prosecute blatant fraud, but well...

KillHour posted:

Fan death 2k19

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Where things get really silly is that 5g drastically reduces the actual radiated power by emphasizing micro-cellular designs and beam-forming. The whole thing is just pseudoscience woo at best.

there wolf posted:

Why would the City of Savannah have a problem with that? This was probably just some regulation tour guide companies got into place to reduce competition.

Requiring licensing for nearly every occupation whether it needs it or not is a major problem these days, especially since in many cases that licensing requires spending significant money on approved private education programs. It reduces economic mobility and increases inequality as a result.

Unfortunately the Koch brothers have latched onto the "licensing bad" idea as a way to push their "anti-regulation in all forms" agenda making it difficult to figure out whether a particular individual or organization opposing licensing is doing it to actually try to improve lives vs trying to make it easier for predatory companies to operate.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1130939177493782536

I love this man.

https://twitter.com/RepUnderwood/status/1130951366707433472

Rep Underwood is cool and good.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 22, 2019

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I really like highlighting these tweets, it's sometimes too easy to forget that we have a lot of great people in government fighting for us. And as long as we're complimenting people, I want to express how appreciative I am of Representative Porter. She's been consistently great at hearings, her lines of questioning are always phenomenal!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shifty Pony posted:

Requiring licensing for nearly every occupation whether it needs it or not is a major problem these days, especially since in many cases that licensing requires spending significant money on approved private education programs. It reduces economic mobility and increases inequality as a result.

Unfortunately the Koch brothers have latched onto the "licensing bad" idea as a way to push their "anti-regulation in all forms" agenda making it difficult to figure out whether a particular individual or organization opposing licensing is doing it to actually try to improve lives vs trying to make it easier for predatory companies to operate.

From what I can tell, I think that's the point :smith:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Witch Hunt 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Witch Hunt 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Wow way to be ableist about immunity to electromagnetic fields :mad:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does TurningPoint USA even do anything except get itself embroiled in scandal anymore?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does TurningPoint USA even do anything except get itself embroiled in scandal anymore?

they push out really ineffective propaganda that gets lost in the tides that wash up on the fading beaches of Internet Boomer Island, and get mocked by everyone else

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

they post memes for hip young college conservatives*

*80 year olds on facebook

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hoover up donations from dark money scumbags and demented boomers?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1131174787986989056?s=19

The administration trying to kill OPM is a story that hasn't received a ton of attention, but it's another major effort towards making the experience of being a federal employee even worse.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

luxury handset posted:

i doubt the number of local history tours which have fake information, compares to the number of ghost tours, all of which by definition are fake information

If you'd ever lived in a town like Savannah with a lot of these local history tours, you wouldn't doubt it. Unless there's some sort of licensing or education requirement people just spout nonsense all day. I mean, it's not like a huge problem -- perhaps, in fact, one of the whitest problems there is -- but it is annoying as hell to be walking around town and hear tour guides spouting off nonsense that you know is just flat wrong. It's like people being wrong on the internet, but in real life.

Shifty Pony posted:

Where things get really silly is that 5g drastically reduces the actual radiated power by emphasizing micro-cellular designs and beam-forming. The whole thing is just pseudoscience woo at best.

Yeah, that's kinda my issue with this issue -- like, ok, sure, yes, a lot of licensing requirements are excessive, but I'm reminded of the time Nikki Haley tried to deregulate the cosmetologists and all the cosmetologists panicked because 1) there are actually needs for pretty stringent sanitation and public health safeguards if you're gonna prevent spread of lice, disease, etc., and 2) all those cosmetologists had sunk investment into getting their licenses and if you abolish that they have all that loan debt and nothing to show for it.

So if we're gonna unwind that part of the administrative state sure but I don't trust that to happen correctly or intelligently under Republican government.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Imagine what the white supremacists in Charleston, SC will get up to when this is undone.

"telling stories", my rear end. Is antivaxx "telling stories"?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Shifty Pony posted:

It also leads to poo poo like chiropractors and homeopaths being “licensed” by the state.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

It also leads to poo poo like chiropractors and homeopaths being “licensed” by the state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-k-v7i-QeI

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Junior G-man posted:

Hoover up donations from dark money scumbags and demented boomers?

Yeah I don't think it was ever meant to do anything except grift. Maybe trigger the libs as a secondary goal but it's hard for a diaper baby snowflake to trigger anyone so probably just grift.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i started seeing bullshit about how a bodycam exonerates eddie gallagher and of course the claim originated with duncan hunter lmao

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

i started seeing bullshit about how a bodycam exonerates eddie gallagher and of course the claim originated with duncan hunter lmao

new theory that all gallaghers are horrific right wing douchebags

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Lycus posted:

Witch Hunt 2: Witch Hunter

I'm not even going to buy this one until they release the Witch Hunt of the Year Edition with the Pee Tape DLC included :colbert:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

The bodycam footage will turn out to be gameplay footage from Duncan Hunter playing Insurgency on Steam.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

theflyingorc posted:

I think the main watermelon smashing guy turned out to be mostly apolitical.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Discendo Vox posted:

Imagine what the white supremacists in Charleston, SC will get up to when this is undone.

"telling stories", my rear end. Is antivaxx "telling stories"?

My wife got tickets to some bullshit “Christmas 1860” event at one of the homes on the battery and we went out of boredom. Let’s just say there’s no shortage of romanticization of secesh around here—regulation or no.

I’m more worried about carriage accidents, horsepiss and overworked animals.