Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

lol Sansa doesn't give a gently caress but you give a gently caress

what

"well that's out of character"

"the character did it so it is in character!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Communist Bear posted:

You mean the character of Bran would be more exciting if it was played by Rygel out of Farscape?

You're right there, friend.

Rygel was a great actor and there's no role in film or television that would not be improved by him replacing the existing actor.

Except Jeff Goldblum in Ragnarok.

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™

Ralph Crammed In posted:

It should have ended like this-

After Drogon flies off with Dany's corpse we fade into....present day Westeros. It's sorta like our world, but like, the clothes are slightly different and the cars have three wheels or something. There's a professor standing in the ruins of the Red Keep, speaking to a tour group.

Professor - "...and it was here, 800 years ago, that the final Targayrn claimant to the throne died, and following her death, the Seven Kingdoms fractured into five, and then four, and well, we all know our own history don't we. Of course, there were really never dragons, they were only a metaphor for the sophisticated weaponry of Essostic technology....." blah blah blah more of this sort of poo poo.

He then goes to his office and opens up his email. There's a message from a research team in the far north - they've been looking for ruins of Free Folk (wildling is a slur now) settlements. URGENT reads the subject line. Professor comments something droll like "hmmm I suppose their wifi is spotty again" and he opens up the message.

Message text is short - The dead walk. The old legend is true. I seen it with my own eyes.

Professor- "nonsense, it is just a fairy tale."

And then the theme song kicks in again, but it's an electro remix.

Yes! I need this!:gizz:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
"Computer, pause holo recording "Book of Ice and Fire". What is this garbage even, gently caress! Just delete the whole thing."

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

who gives a poo poo about the Night King since he turned out to be a useless, largely inconsequential idiot?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

brugroffil posted:

who gives a poo poo about the Night King since he turned out to be a useless, largely inconsequential idiot?

I'm really surprised HBO signed off on the wet fart killing of the Night King seeing as how it deflates any stakes for the prequel show that was already in pre-production. But hey corporate execs are dumb, knock me over with a feather

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

sorry but the travel criticism is entirely valid when there's no real consistency in how it's carried out. Arya's travels were mostly handled really well because so much of her character development happened along the way, with run-ins with the BWB, stops at the crossroads, detour at a farm, etc. (and honestly this could have been channeled better in the end when she sailed off -- practically all she's done all show is travel, so it's not that crazy an ending for her)

also ravens as a plot device are literally there to allow characters to have those sorts of quick communications without having to bother with making them travel. the dragon was also ok for this.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

A man in alt-history seventies fashion explains to you the wonders of ancient winterfell but pronounces it how it would have sounded during the kingsmoot period instead of modern

A woman with a magnificent perm is filmed in a woodpaneled room, explaining why its obvious with historical evidence the portion about Samwell suggesting democracy was a later addition made shortly after the signing of the Great Accord which established what would one day become parliment.

this is kind of in the neighborhood of how merlin ended although I guess at least Merlin is from the get go supposed to take place in England obviously

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Fitzy Fitz posted:

sorry but the travel criticism is entirely valid when there's no real consistency in how it's carried out. Arya's travels were mostly handled really well because so much of her character development happened along the way, with run-ins with the BWB, stops at the crossroads, detour at a farm, etc. (and honestly this could have been channeled better in the end when she sailed off -- practically all she's done all show is travel, so it's not that crazy an ending for her)

also ravens as a plot device are literally there to allow characters to have those sorts of quick communications without having to bother with making them travel. the dragon was also ok for this.
Not to mention needing to cross a bridge was a crucial plot point in the good seasons.

BlackStar
Aug 21, 2004

Ralph Crammed In posted:

It should have ended like this-

After Drogon flies off with Dany's corpse we fade into....present day Westeros. It's sorta like our world, but like, the clothes are slightly different and the cars have three wheels or something. There's a professor standing in the ruins of the Red Keep, speaking to a tour group.

Professor - "...and it was here, 800 years ago, that the final Targayrn claimant to the throne died, and following her death, the Seven Kingdoms fractured into five, and then four, and well, we all know our own history don't we. Of course, there were really never dragons, they were only a metaphor for the sophisticated weaponry of Essostic technology....." blah blah blah more of this sort of poo poo.

He then goes to his office and opens up his email. There's a message from a research team in the far north - they've been looking for ruins of Free Folk (wildling is a slur now) settlements. URGENT reads the subject line. Professor comments something droll like "hmmm I suppose their wifi is spotty again" and he opens up the message.

Message text is short - The dead walk. The old legend is true. I seen it with my own eyes.

Professor- "nonsense, it is just a fairy tale."

And then the theme song kicks in again, but it's an electro remix.

A middle aged archaeologist, well-regarded in his field, is busy at work unearthing a recent discovery in Essos. There, in the dusty outreaches of what used to be Old Valyria, are the fossilized remains of a dragon with what appears to be human skeletal remains clutched in its claws. A helicopter makes an unwelcomed landing at the dig site, blowing the team's tents around and dusting finely tuned and rather expensive instruments. A man in a finely tailored suit, clearly a corporate lawyer, and a rather eccentric looking billionaire wielding a cane topped with amber convinces the archaeologist aboard with a wild claim. "We have brought them back."

Orchestral music starts playing.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Bran taking the throne felt lame because "omnipotent, all knowing, but distant" characters are almost always bland. He has the personality of cardboard so the audience feels nothing when he takes the throne.

I get that GoT is supposed to subvert some fantasy tropes (neither of the "chosen ones" get the throne) but goddamn he's so boring and alien.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bran was only to subvert expectations. Oh who's gonna win? Nobody guessed Haha you loving nerds.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Hey remember when Tyrion talked about Cersei's baby in front of Euron and they did nothing with it but everyone was sure it was setting something up?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

superjew posted:

Hey remember when Tyrion talked about Cersei's baby in front of Euron and they did nothing with it but everyone was sure it was setting something up?

That is is the sort of thing a good show would have done. What do you think this is?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

superjew posted:

‾\_(ツ)_/‾

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

superjew posted:

Remember the 5000 other things that had no payoff?

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
But it's cool, in their clinking together of random characters they had Tyrion ask Bran to tell him his life story, and then later gives a speech about stories being powerful so they clearly put a lot of thought into it.

Most of the finale looks like the actors/characters genuinely don't want to be there and are dragging rear end.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

superjew posted:

But it's cool, in their clinking together of random characters they had Tyrion ask Bran to tell him his life story, and then later gives a speech about stories being powerful so they clearly put a lot of thought into it.

Most of the finale looks like the actors/characters genuinely don't want to be there and are dragging rear end.
"Uh, can you remove your water bottle from the shot?"
"My what?"
"The water bottle in your hands."
"Oh, 'water', sssure. <places it by his foot>"
"...it's still in the shot."
"It doesssn't matter. Nuuthing mahtters."

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

superjew posted:

rofl

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

superjew posted:

The actor said he never read other characters' lines to keep his reaction natural and also that he was too far away from them to hear it. :laffo:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

kit (cloudkicker) harrington posted:

"I think no matter what anyone thinks about this season—and I don't mean to sound mean about critics here—but whatever critic spends half an hour writing about this season and makes their [negative] judgement on it, in my head they can go f–k themselves. 'Cause I know how much work was put into this. "I know how much people cared about this. I know how much pressure people put on themselves and I know how many sleepless nights working or otherwise people had on this show. Because they cared about it so much. Because they cared about the characters. Because they cared about the story. Because they cared about not letting people down. Now if people feel let down by it, I don't give a f–k—because everyone tried their hardest. That's how I feel. In the end, no one's bigger fans of the show than we are, and we're kind of doing it for ourselves. That's all we could do, really. And I was just happy we got to the end."

Awwww buddy. We ain't mad at you.

[Insert u know noffin joke here]

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

Universe Master posted:

Remember the 5000 other things that had no payoff?

To be fair, the last 3 seasons were only 23 episodes which were over an hour long, with no commercials. It's difficult to squeeze in everything in such a small amount of time

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Memes aside I'm pretty happy with how the series ended. I just wish it took longer to get there so it made a bit more narrative sense.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Man that must be nice.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Resting Lich Face posted:

Memes aside I'm pretty happy with how the series ended. I just wish it took longer to get there so it made a bit more narrative sense.

If you mean like, dany goes mad and everyone has to deal with finding the "heros" are on the wrong side.

As like a bullet point, its good.

Execution was top to bottom terrible and mad it poo poo like dany with a knife in her heart though

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Come the gently caress on. If you thought Dany was going to win or remain uncorrupted you clearly haven't watched the series very closely. Yes, that should've been handled better (over more time, mostly) but it's no surprise. True, the adage in storytelling is "show, don't tell" but sometimes you need to tell a bit too.

Given the abruptness the ending over the last few episodes was handled decently, though Dany's final leap over the edge was probably the weakest point.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

When will D&D return from their self exile?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Come the gently caress on. If you thought Dany was going to win or remain uncorrupted you clearly haven't watched the series very closely. Yes, that should've been handled better (over more time, mostly) but it's no surprise. True, the adage in storytelling is "show, don't tell" but sometimes you need to tell a bit too.

Given the abruptness the ending over the last few episodes was handled decently, though Dany's final leap over the edge was probably the weakest point.

The climax of the series was the weakest. But it's still good!

Right

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Come the gently caress on. If you thought Dany was going to win or remain uncorrupted you clearly haven't watched the series very closely. Yes, that should've been handled better (over more time, mostly) but it's no surprise.

Why didnt anyone tell that to Tyrion, the smartest smartman who ever thought a smart or had a cleverthink in his life. You know, the guy who was smart enough to wrap up the entire show in a 5 minute speech at the end

Tell me why? Ain't nothing but a mistake. I dont ever want to hear you say that you want it that way

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Bombadilillo posted:

The climax of the series was the weakest. But it's still good!

Right

I didn't say it was good; I said I'm mostly happy with it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Stop mincing words like a pain in the rear end

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Glenn Quebec posted:

Stop mincing words like a pain in the rear end

Yeah Bombadillo. Sheesh.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Y'know the more I think about it the reason Bran had to win is because he is the only one that had any real connection with the Children of the Forest. All the other rulers are fighting over their rule as invaders but he's the only one that has even spoken to the indigenous population.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've been watching The Last Kingdom and it's pretty solid.

I like the way they try to antiquate some terms and decided that instead of loving Uhtred instead gets down to some hardcore humping.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Surely jon would've known this from the many battles he stood in with a shocked look on his face.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Sure he spoken to them but then they all died and he hasn't even left any witnesses so I don't know if it's something you wanna mention approvingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Like if Arya teleported to Bran a few seasons earlier this whole silly night king plotline could have been over years ago!