Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

ArcMage posted:

There's nothing to slip, really. The stage is pushing the roll, not her.

She's having to move her hands every time even so. There should be no point where a human can get into contact with a sharp or moving part of a machine without the machine first being shut down and then partially disassembled/opened up. Otherwise someone will lose a hand, eye, foot, penis, etc. as applicable.

"Pushing/steadying thing towards sharp part of machine" is something that another part of the machine should be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

https://m.imgur.com/r/Wellthatsucks/qeBoHOH

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nazca posted:

I saw an osha in the field once.

Horrible creatures.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Is a video of a suspension guy in the back corner of a convention room falling from his hooks and breaking his leg an appropriate thing for an OSHA thread..?.:

https://imgur.com/gallery/UwbMXFi

i am harry fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 22, 2019

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
E: yes ^

PurpleXVI posted:

She's having to move her hands every time even so. There should be no point where a human can get into contact with a sharp or moving part of a machine without the machine first being shut down and then partially disassembled/opened up. Otherwise someone will lose a hand, eye, foot, penis, etc. as applicable.

"Pushing/steadying thing towards sharp part of machine" is something that another part of the machine should be doing.

I mean, there is precisely as much danger of injury here as there is in standing next to a bandsaw, but I can't actually disagree with you.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

PurpleXVI posted:

There should be no point where a human can get into contact with a sharp or moving part of a machine without the machine first being shut down and then partially disassembled/opened up.

I do understand your larger point, but that strict of an approach would preclude anyone from operating even a power drill, nevermind any type of saw.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tag yourself I'm the automatic wipers triggering.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Never show this guy the woodworking section of youtube, lol

they'd have an aneurism at the first sign of a table saw

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017
So who's getting mangled today? (rubs hands together and grins)

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

b mad at me posted:

So who's getting mangled today? (rubs hands together and grins)

Me, probably. Lovely morning of rooting around in energized panels ahead.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Trabant posted:

I do understand your larger point, but that strict of an approach would preclude anyone from operating even a power drill, nevermind any type of saw.

I think the repetitive motion changes the dynamic enough to want to eliminate the hazard.

Regardless, she touches a lot of butt through those rolls drat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://vids.me.me/how-do-you-cut-your-veggies-i-found-his-instagram-43554056.mp4

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

torturemyballs posted:

Actually sane people who know what they're doing use a grinder disc or a gouging rod.

lol ok

or that exact gouging blade in an air grinder with a proper guard on it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

augh

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

I'm the wipers fighting my inevitable wet fate.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ArcMage posted:

There's nothing to slip, really. The stage is pushing the roll, not her.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yes, any bladed machinery should ideally be operated by a distance via a bomb-disposal robot, or WALDO unit.

Jabor posted:

Never show this guy the woodworking section of youtube, lol

they'd have an aneurism at the first sign of a table saw

I get that it's fun to be snarky, I really do, however the whole point of OSHA is to prevent that lady from chopping her fingers or hand off at work.

Working in a woodshop is not comparable to this, as much as it seems like it should be. This lady is standing there for 6 to 12 hours a day doing the same repetitive motion over and over again. It's very easy to zone out and slip your hand over a little too far and whoops the bandsaw just cut them off. The point of OSHA is to mitigate that risk and find ways for her to do her job safer.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I can only half picture it in my head, but toilet paper lady needs some sort of like, metal tube section that her left hand will rest on while she pushes the roll in with her right. The metal tube would end right at the blade and have a lip on it so that her hand could never hit that blade. It would be so easy to fabricate.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

or one of those chainmail gloves that's like $75

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

boar guy posted:

or one of those chainmail gloves that's like $75

But that could damage the bandsaw blade and lead to downtime while they install a new one. Squishy flesh won't hurt it though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The lady clearly needs a $250k Italian toilet paper conversion machine that is fed whole lengths of toilet paper rolls and cuts it down to a PLC specified length (so you can slowly incrementally reduce cost while giving the consumer less material for the same price, a soft invisible protection against inflation). All moving parts are contained in a series of cages preventing human body from entering firing lines and high energy zones while still allowing maintenance to reach in and perform PM without a full LOTO. All doors in the cage deenergize the circuits allowing easy single source lockouts for operators to clear jams or maintenance to perform more complex PMs

I like the pipe guide guy. You're gonna have to put and keep a hell of a polish because the smallest burr moving laterally is going to tear the gently caress up the first dozen sheets.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

zedprime posted:

The lady clearly needs a $250k Italian toilet paper conversion machine that is fed whole lengths of toilet paper rolls and cuts it down to a PLC specified length (so you can slowly incrementally reduce cost while giving the consumer less material for the same price, a soft invisible protection against inflation). All moving parts are contained in a series of cages preventing human body from entering firing lines and high energy zones while still allowing maintenance to reach in and perform PM without a full LOTO. All doors in the cage deenergize the circuits allowing easy single source lockouts for operators to clear jams or maintenance to perform more complex PMs

Or

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

I can only half picture it in my head, but toilet paper lady needs some sort of like, metal tube section that her left hand will rest on while she pushes the roll in with her right. The metal tube would end right at the blade and have a lip on it so that her hand could never hit that blade. It would be so easy to fabricate.
Yeah I was thinking there could be a lip over the last section so her hand can never get close to the blade. As it is, sure, it'd take something like her being startled or going on total autopilot and making the wrong motion for her to hurt herself, but if that's easily preventable you should prevent it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zedprime posted:

The Russians used a pencil.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I mean yeah but pushsticks are notoriously forgotten about on the bench. It's an administrative guard masquerading as an engineering guard.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

haveblue posted:

like, to wipe???

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

like, to wipe???

How did the mathematician fix his constipation? He grabbed a pencil and worked it out

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

haveblue posted:

Russians didn't have OSHA

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

like, to wipe???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8-Vjn2a8c

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

saw an eighteen-wheeler yesterday that made me think of this thread. It had 3 placards: Corrosive 8, Flammable 3, Dangerous. No NFPA placard, though. Any ideas?

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Captain Foo posted:

saw an eighteen-wheeler yesterday that made me think of this thread. It had 3 placards: Corrosive 8, Flammable 3, Dangerous. No NFPA placard, though. Any ideas?

it was hauling Clamdestine Boyster posts

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Foo posted:

Organic halide, maybe? They're flammable and burning them creates acids alongside all sorts of other nasty poo poo

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

:stare: what the fuuuuuuuuuuck

forget the wiping debate, who does THAT

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:stare: what the fuuuuuuuuuuck

forget the wiping debate, who does THAT

what wiping debate

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I get that it's fun to be snarky, I really do, however the whole point of OSHA is to prevent that lady from chopping her fingers or hand off at work.

No snark was intended. It's my unfortunately sincere opinion that her task is safe as performed.

Since almost all of the risk could be mitigated trivially with a bit of sheet metal, that would be the most correct thing to do, though.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Asmodai_00 posted:

what wiping debate
standing vs. sitting gets people whipped up in frenzied debates with both sides unable to comprehend that the other does it differently, definitely not a topic for the OSHA thread though

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

'how can I tell how hefty the turds are if not by holding them'

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Asmodai_00 posted:

what wiping debate

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MattO posted:

'how can I tell how hefty the turds are if not by holding them'

:hmmyes:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

The only right answer in a sea of lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is it crumple vs fold because you crumplers need to get out of the stone age.