Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I actually finished the space launch goals available in early access in a single day via basic automation and a friend of mine asked how the gently caress i did that. Then he talked about how he left the game running overnight with the space bar jammed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cojawfee posted:

They should definitely pause new features at some point and focus back on the early game because it's pretty frustrating. It's often easier to just manually create the things I need than figuring out how to set up constructors and assemblers and all the belts needed. Sure, I can build a factory set up, but I can't build the setup I want yet, because they gimped the features of something to have a later thing do it. So I can waste my time building an automated setup that I will have to tear down or abandon later, or I can just hold down the space bar while looking at my phone. They need to have an easier way to upgrade things. Right now, when you remove a building, you can't just replace it because it won't want to attach to the conveyors that were attached to the last building that was there.

That's certainly also a thing. The act of building isn't very fun and it seems like they're leaning against that when they give you things like the smelter mk2 which is the same recipe just faster and less energy efficient. The only reason you'd want to use it is because you have to click fewer times to make the same production capacity.

Also, in factorio, making a compact layout is fun and rewarding. In this game, hitting the limits of what a belt can do is frustrating. Players can't reliably predict what is and isn't a valid belt placement. Once you've completed a chunk of work fidding with belts, you just have to do the exact same thing for the next machine.

Like, in factorio if I do a bunch of work to make a given part of my factory be 10% smaller or require 10% fewer materials to build, that's great because I did a fixed amount of work and then can tile that work to reap multiplicative gains. In satisfactory, I can design a cool thing but then I have to spend an amount of extra time per factory built to tile it and I would have been better off with whatever plan had the fewest clicks to build.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, I've found myself simply laying our larger factories simply because it is easier, logistically, to build rather than do belt-fiddly madness to fit it in a smaller section.

Space and resources are basically infinite, so what does it matter anyway?

Corbolan
May 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I just now got to coal power and boy it feels great to never have to pick up a leaf again

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I think they could fix a lot of problems with building by just adding some consolidated parts. You'd still need a lot of space but the challenge I've encountered is the pain of trying to sort and combine poo poo properly in a small space. Make some walls with splitters or combiners built-in, so you can belt into one on the outside and have it break into two or three on the inside without having to work out the best positioning for the wall and normal block with connecting belts. And some sort of filter (unless that comes later, I've only reached T3/4 in my game) option so you can pick which items to go to which belt.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nessin posted:

And some sort of filter (unless that comes later, I've only reached T3/4 in my game) option so you can pick which items to go to which belt.

That does exist, you need to discover and research Caterium to get those. (I think tier 5?)

Corbolan
May 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like you should just be able to put a miner/smelter/constructor together directly without the need for belts linking them

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Corbolan posted:

I feel like you should just be able to put a miner/smelter/constructor together directly without the need for belts linking them

Kinky.

But I like my smelters like I like my sex, smooth one-directional flow and as many belts as possible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got a programmable splitter and it also does the thing where it will only send materials out of one output, even if two are filtered for it. And it still doesn't bypass if the one output it has chosen to use backs up. I have to assume this is broken, because if they chose for it to work this way, that's dumb as hell and makes them almost completely useless.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I got a programmable splitter and it also does the thing where it will only send materials out of one output, even if two are filtered for it. And it still doesn't bypass if the one output it has chosen to use backs up. I have to assume this is broken, because if they chose for it to work this way, that's dumb as hell and makes them almost completely useless.

You could just put a regular splitter after the smart splitter?

It'd be an improvement to have that built in, but they still serve their main purpose of letting you sort a mixed belt into its separate items.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

mixed belt

I'm so triggered right now.

What's the point of a mixed belt anyway?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

DelphiAegis posted:

Neither item is outputting fast enough for a belt and are headed to the same long distance area.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

DelphiAegis posted:

This could become relevant if they add more programmability. In stead of a bus of specific belts en masse, you have maybe ten max speed belts of whatever, and factories can request resources they need when stocks run low and belts with capacity are used. More efficient (and more fun) than specialized belts.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

Trucking a mix of items from one base to another.

Corbolan
May 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Literally Kermit posted:

Kinky.

But I like my smelters like I like my sex, smooth one-directional flow and as many belts as possible.

:lol:

There's something so satisfying about linking a coal miner up to a coal power generator. The resource nodes are infinite, right? So it's basically a perpetual motion machine.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

What I want them to add are some proper thin floor/roof tiles that are aren't 5 feet thick so I can properly run convey belts, at the very least, either above or below all the machinery. The foundation tiles just eat up too much room.

Or maybe a floor grate tile that will create a small opening automatically if you run a belt or lift through it so you don't have to sacrifice possible floor space.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

It's a neat idea, but a bad practice. If any of the inputs are higher through put than they are being consumed, the entire belt will back up and only run at the speed that item is being consumed.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Corbolan posted:

:lol:

There's something so satisfying about linking a coal miner up to a coal power generator. The resource nodes are infinite, right? So it's basically a perpetual motion machine.

It's soo great. I like to set up a series of splitters in a huge open area so I can just drop down another Coal Generator whenever I need power.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Back Hack posted:

What I want them to add are some proper thin floor/roof tiles that are aren't 5 feet thick so I can properly run convey belts, at the very least, either above or below all the machinery. The foundation tiles just eat up too much room.

Or maybe a floor grate tile that will create a small opening automatically if you run a belt or lift through it so you don't have to sacrifice possible floor space.

You know you can delete the foundation and the structures remain.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Twibbit posted:

Neither item is outputting fast enough for a belt and are headed to the same long distance area.

I did this and made mixed belts at first, but it's a really crappy long-term solution. A better plan is to make stackable pylons so you can put two different conveyor belts on top of each other.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

euphronius posted:

You know you can delete the foundation and the structures remain.

Mods?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Not sure if Satisfactory can be modded yet, but it's vanilla behavior. It's very Minecrafty, seeing floating production machinery.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Ambaire posted:

Not sure if Satisfactory can be modded yet, but it's vanilla behavior. It's very Minecrafty, seeing floating production machinery.

No, I meant “mods” as in “mods, ban this sick unnatural filth”

While shaking my drat head, etc

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Literally Kermit posted:

I guess I missed the point where that became a meme on here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Literally Kermit posted:

It does feel unethical

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

euphronius posted:

It does feel unethical

It might be unethical, but I still find it very ... satisfactory.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DelphiAegis posted:

I have a mixed belt that goes into my warehouse where things get sorted into bins.

It also sorts my inventory when I'm done building.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Someone was angry about mixed belts earlier. Here's my factory.

It doesn't have massive throughput, but I can make everything I need to. The smart splitters supply the machines with conveyors that either come from the lift on the near side, or from the smelters in the surrounding area. The finished products get dumped into the mergers and head towards my warehouse via the lift on the far side. Because splitters are broken, it sometimes jams on the supply side. Easy to fix though. If they ever fix splitters, it will just overflow and be able to run forever.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I feel like they really need some kind of item destruction machine that just destroys everything that goes into it in order to make smart/programmable splitters actually useful. The way it is now, even if you plan for overflow it's only delaying the inevitable when that overflow belt or container or whatever gets full too.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Yep, only two ways to have a mixed belt not eventually back up regardless of buffer/overflow -- either ensure all consumers consume faster than their inputs and therefore run inefficiently, or have some way to destroy the excess material.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I'd like to be able to mate a splitter directly to a factory or container (Let it run at the fastest output belt attached to it).

I'd like some basic logic, so a factory can request an item from a container or splitter.

I'd like to be able to name trucks and then assign those trucks to specific truck stations.

I'd like greater control over truck waypoints.

I'd like a halfsize (physical and holding) container because I usually only need to grab one or two stacks of some items and the normal and large containers are to big.

I'd like to be able to dictate where the inputs and outputs go on containers and the orientation of those containers. (normal containers could stand on their end, large containers could be laid on their side)

Also, if CoffeeStain Studios could figure out world peace while they're at it...

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
You'd like to play Factorio. :v:

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I like factorio, I just wish coffeestain would get their heads out of their asses about satisfactory being compared to it. But then I gather so does everyone else in this thread.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Factorio is just really ugly to me.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I found Uranium, and also discovered it kills you with radiation when you mine it. Whoopsie.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Canuck-Errant posted:

I found Uranium, and also discovered it kills you with radiation when you mine it. Whoopsie.

It also irradiates a large area around where it is in the belt or container. :eng101: but if you shove it in a vehicle and get in the vehicle that's okay somehow, until you step out of the vehicle...

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lexorin posted:

I like factorio, I just wish coffeestain would get their heads out of their asses about satisfactory being compared to it. But then I gather so does everyone else in this thread.

Give it time, this is still a brand new game. Don't forget that Factorio has been out for 5 years with constant improvements - at the start it wasn't particularly impressive either. Their first patch was promising, they added a fair bit of content while also doing a bunch of little fixes and improvements. Lets hope they keep up that work, and in a couple years we can have a different, but also well polished game.

For me right now the biggest flaw is how much time it takes to tear down and rebuild stuff. I wanna be able to design something nice then copy-paste it, or quickly destroy it if something is messed up. Taking down a bunch of belts and poles takes forever and quickly burns me out when I'm trying to experiment with designs.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah a Deconstruction Grenade would be pretty dope, maybe a scalable sphere/cube alt setting for the deconstruction tool?

Pretty important to have the ability to not rip out foundation tiles if the player doesn't want, but have it on hand if they do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I read somewhere that they are focused on working on new features instead of bug fixes, so I might just put this game on the back burner for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think the biggest simple QoL improvement for me might be a hotkey to build whatever I last built, or whatever I last tore down. For example if I build a constructor the wrong way around, tear it down, hit the "rebuild" key, and be ready to build another one right away.