Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Looking good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Walked posted:

First brisket; 10hrs exactly.
6lbs; cooked at 230F, no crutch. Pulled at approx 200F

It's certainly not perfect; but it sure as poo poo smells good.

Currently wrapped in towels in a cooler waiting on eatin time

Looks great! Don’t forget to take pics of it sliced.

Kamados make brisket easy as gently caress, it’s practically cheating. I was amazed at how easy and uneventful my brisket smoke went. I just put it on the night before and basically didn’t touch it for 15 hours, no mess, no fuss, and it came out amazing.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tomorrow for breakfast I will be eating a bowl mix of chopped brisket, eggs, hash browns, onions, cheese, and possibly hot sauce.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mouth is jealous

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Tomorrow for breakfast I will be eating a bowl mix of chopped brisket, eggs, hash browns, onions, cheese, and possibly hot sauce.

Trip Report: IT WAS GOOOOOOOOOOD

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I. M. Gei posted:

Trip Report: IT WAS GOOOOOOOOOOD

:unsmith:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

My brisket turned out half dry and half perfect. I suspect due to uneven distribution of fat (based on what I could see after slicing)

Amazing flavor though; didn't disappoint at ALL. Super happy and will do it again.

Used the dry stuff and some homemade BBQ sauce to chop it up and make leftover chopped BBQ

All said - A+ experience

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Smoked armadillo eggs? Sounds Texas as gently caress.

Fake edit: googled this and was glad I did

Update: They were very, very good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I was thinking of buying a Akorn Jr for my apartment complex backyard( concrete ) , just to kind of grill occassionally. Does anyone here own one? I don't want a large grill but the reviews I've seen are good.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, my old gas grill is on the way out, and I've been looking at a Kamado. They do regular grilling as well as slow smoking, right?

I spent many years in central Texas and the only place nearer than an hour and a half away with good brisket just closed. I'd like to take the lessons from here and smoke up a fat juicy hunk o' beef.

But I'd still like to do some high temp grilling.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yeah, my old gas grill is on the way out, and I've been looking at a Kamado. They do regular grilling as well as slow smoking, right?

Yeah, I do burgers and finish steaks and stuff on mine. When I’m using it for pizza I can get the stone to 700F.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MrUnderbridge posted:

Absolutely, and they’ll do both extremely well.

The only downside is that if you’re doing stuff like cold-smoking, it can be annoying to re-add coals and wood because you have to lift out the food, the grate, and a convector stone to do it, but that’s a pretty minor inconvenience compared to all the advantages you get.

Bottom Line: Kamados own and you should buy one.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 20, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Also, the charcoal lasts a long time. I’ve done an 18 hour smoke at 225 and still had it look half full when I was done.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Subjunctive posted:

Also, the charcoal lasts a long time. I’ve done an 18 hour smoke at 225 and still had it look half full when I was done.

When I smoked my brisket I ran my Egg for more than 24 hours on one single load of charcoal, and could have easily run it longer. When I opened it to make burgers tonight, there were still perfectly useable black coals in there.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It is crazy how efficient egg-style cookers are. Once you know them with vent locations it will cruise on with hardly an issue and your charcoal budget will go down. Sometimes it feels like cheating.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The charcoal budget for my MES is $0 and I just punch in what temperature I want it to be at and walk away. Talk about feeling like I'm cheating.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

The charcoal budget for my MES is $0 and I just punch in what temperature I want it to be at and walk away. Talk about feeling like I'm cheating.

I kind of do miss the falvor for charcoal smoking.. but I do enjoy pressing some buttons.. loading some chips ocasionally and going about my day. Maybe if I had a nice egg that worked well. I had a lovely brinkman smoker that I needed to load with coals like every 2 hours.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

On the komado front - what charcoal does everyone like? Royal is ok but always has tiny pieces for me.

Looking to mix it up anyways. Any good suggestions?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
B&B is my go-to for lump.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Did some drumsticks yesterday, came out good
Before:

After:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Walked posted:

On the komado front - what charcoal does everyone like? Royal is ok but always has tiny pieces for me.

Looking to mix it up anyways. Any good suggestions?

Fogo seems good. I got a bag on discount from my bbq supply place and it was big chunks that lit easily enough, but at least at their prices I think I won’t be getting it much.

Trying Royal briquettes on the recommendation of a friend, which will be interesting.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

PhotoKirk posted:

B&B is my go-to for lump.

I also like B&B, although Royal Oak is alright too

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Royal Oak is my go to and probably going to be on sale this week / weekend. After cleaning my grill for moving (or what I like to call running my grill's self-cleaning cycle) I had quite a few rocks leftover--just beware if that affects your grill.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What are y’all’s Memorial Day plans? I’m thinking about smoking some chicken wings and wondering if there’s a good marinade for them I should try.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Crossposting from the dinner thread since I smoked it for 4 hours.

Fancy dinner for Game of Thrones, which was probably better than the episode itself.

Smoked standing rib roast with horseradish cream, homemade tasso ham and parmesan escalopped potatoes, grilled lemon asparagus.

Served with a nice beaujolais. The beef was as good as you would expect. The potatoes were surprisingly the star. Absolutely loving killer. Gonna make those again. Glad I smoked some tasso last week.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

Crossposting from the dinner thread since I smoked it for 4 hours.

Fancy dinner for Game of Thrones, which was probably better than the episode itself.

Smoked standing rib roast with horseradish cream, homemade tasso ham and parmesan escalopped potatoes, grilled lemon asparagus.

Served with a nice beaujolais. The beef was as good as you would expect. The potatoes were surprisingly the star. Absolutely loving killer. Gonna make those again. Glad I smoked some tasso last week.

Post recipes plz

My dad does a standing rib roast every year for Christmas dinner, but he does it in the oven. I was almost successful in convincing him to let me smoke it last year; I probably should make it for regular dinner one night to see if I can change his mind this year.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Anyone else watch Aaron Franklin's Master Class? I watched most of it so far and thought it was pretty great. There were no real earth shattering secrets revealed but it was definitely way more in depth than his previous youtube and PBS series.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

What are y’all’s Memorial Day plans? I’m thinking about smoking some chicken wings and wondering if there’s a good marinade for them I should try.

2-2-1 ribs (maybe 3-1-1) last 3-2-1 came out dry.

Smoked baked beans as well (just gonna toss some bushes in a loaf pan and stick em in the smoker for 2 hrs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I. M. Gei posted:

Post recipes plz

My dad does a standing rib roast every year for Christmas dinner, but he does it in the oven. I was almost successful in convincing him to let me smoke it last year; I probably should make it for regular dinner one night to see if I can change his mind this year.

I've done a couple of standing roasts in SV for 5 hrs then smoking for 2.5, and they both turned out _extremely_ well. We had picky kids rummaging for scraps off the cutting board, and my ex-wife just walked over and cut off a big slice to take home while I was cleaning up. Feels like a very good combination of predictable timing and smoke flavour/crust. Probably not as smoky as if I'd done it on the BGE the whole time, but the smoke was definitely there.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

Post recipes plz

Not much of a recipe. Put whatever seasoning you want on the outside (I did just salt, pepper and a tiny bit of montreal), then smoked at 200f until it was 125 and pulled it. I used a mixture of oak and apple.

Subjunctive posted:

I've done a couple of standing roasts in SV for 5 hrs then smoking for 2.5, and they both turned out _extremely_ well. We had picky kids rummaging for scraps off the cutting board, and my ex-wife just walked over and cut off a big slice to take home while I was cleaning up. Feels like a very good combination of predictable timing and smoke flavour/crust. Probably not as smoky as if I'd done it on the BGE the whole time, but the smoke was definitely there.

Yeah, I would definitely consider SV if I needed to serve it at a specific time. I had no hard deadline and wanted the even better flavor.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

Not much of a recipe. Put whatever seasoning you want on the outside (I did just salt, pepper and a tiny bit of montreal), then smoked at 200f until it was 125 and pulled it. I used a mixture of oak and apple.

I was talking more about the horseradish cream and potatoes, tbh, but that sounds good too.

Out of curiosity, why did you pick apple wood? I don’t normally think of apple as being a beef wood.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

I was talking more about the horseradish cream and potatoes, tbh, but that sounds good too.

Out of curiosity, why did you pick apple wood? I don’t normally think of apple as being a beef wood.

Oh fair! I went with oak/apple because just oak would have been too straight up Texas BBQ, which was not what I was going for. I find that apple is a pretty great, relatively neutral smoking wood. Not nearly as fruity to me as peach or cherry.

Horseradish cream:
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup mayo
2Tbsp prepared horseradish (more if you want!)
1Tbsp lemon juice
1/2tsp Morton's kosher salt

whisk together and let sit for at least 30 minutes in the fridge. Taste and adjust horseradish as desired.

Tasso Parmesan Potatoes:

3 medium russet potatoes
2oz tasso, chopped
3Tbsp neutral oil
5Tbsp flour
1 1/2cup(ish..) milk
2oz parmesan microplaned
1Tbsp creole seasoning (homemade or storebought)

Fry the tasso with the oil until crispy bits, add the flour and cook for about 5 minutes. You don't want to actually brown the roux, just cook out the raw flour taste. The roux will be a little brown just because it picks up color from the browned ham, but you don't want to brown the flour itself. Turn off the heat and let it cool for a minute, stir to redistribute the flour/oil, stir in about 1/2 cup milk and thoroughly whisk out the lumps, add another cup of milk, bring to a simmer and add milk to thin it out as needed. Simmer for 10 minutes, remove from heat, add the grated parm and creole seasoning. Salt to taste. You want it to be a little too salty, to account for the potatoes you are adding it to.

Put a thin layer of sauce into your baking dish, layer thinly sliced potatoes in one layer overlapping, spread a thin layer of sauce over the top, layer potatoes, repeat until out of potatoes. End with a sauce layer on top, grate some more parm on top, bake at 400 until a knife goes through the potatoes with only slight resistance, about an hour. If they start to brown too much, cover with foil. Pull out of oven and let rest for at least 15 minutes, 30 is way better. They stay napalm hot for a long time, and you actually want them to cool enough to set.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Apple is good for everything, especially if you're going to be doing some kind of blend.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Nephzinho posted:

Apple is good for everything, especially if you're going to be doing some kind of blend.

Yeah. Apple Is just like, what I think of as default "just smoke" flavor tastes like. Maybe the tiniest hint of tang? But all the other woods have a very distinctive flavor that I am not always going for.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I have a family reunion thing to go to on Saturday so i am making my smoked pork & beans that I have posted about before.

Big can of Bush's beans in a hotel pan. Add in 8-10 oz of smoked pulled pork from freezer (thawed of course) and then take a pack of Italian sausages and punch a bunch of holes in the casings and put on the grate above the beans so the juices drip down in. Stir a few times during a 2-3 hour smoke. When it comes of I take the Italian sausages and chop them up in small chunks and mix in with the beans and pork.

Pretty cheap for a dish to pass that will feed a lot of people and get rave reviews.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It might rain on my birthday. Is smoked brisket possible in rain?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Absolutely.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just smoke the same procedure, but keep an eye on the temp more closely?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

More or less. I've tried to put a hood on my vent so it doesn't rain down in since it's on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

I also like B&B, although Royal Oak is alright too

For smoking you want high repeatability so I just stick with standard kingsford. Also, invented by Henry Ford and Thomas Edison (not really) so how could anything be better than that?