Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Brony Car posted:

Would he be playing? I thought it was Leno’s show now.

Cech has been in goal for all the Europa games and the final was supposed to be his retirement send off. Difficult to see how you can play him now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I hope Cech wears his helmet while scouting and signing players

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

trem_two posted:

Chelsea have been ordered to pay Conte £9m in compensation. They had argued that they shouldn't have to pay him because he had alienated Diego Costa, lol.

looks like in the end it was antonio conte who got the last thanks for the seasono

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Cech has been in goal for all the Europa games and the final was supposed to be his retirement send off. Difficult to see how you can play him now.

it'd be an absolute disgrace if he played now but he will because it's arsenal

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/1130883622209249281?s=19

lmao you'll never be rid of him

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Byolante posted:

Getting upset about refs making the most bent calls in history when pep is managing the side is lol really. Part of accepting football is knowing that pep will always have everyone cheat to make him look good. Danielle Ferrari, Operacion Puerto, the loving disgrace, adriano choking nasri. Its part of modern football like people pretending climate changing causing slave lords slamming money into a dead horse shouting run you nag is just the same as a official taiwanese knockoff scaletrex sponsor.

:bisonyes:

make this the tbp background

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Troy Queef posted:

it's official, Micky T. Ryan isn't going to the EL final because of Nagorno-Karabakh.

blows my mind wide loving open that this story has been only a little footnote article on almost every sports news page

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
Didn't arsenal play qarabag this season? Don't remember hearing about any problems then

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

brasstassels posted:

Didn't arsenal play qarabag this season? Don't remember hearing about any problems then

You missed it cause it was definitely a thing.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

brasstassels posted:

Uh Mickey couldn't play in that game either, so UEFA absolutely knew this was possible but lol cash is easier to launder in places like Azerbaijan.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

EC10 posted:

it'd be an absolute disgrace if he played now but he will because it's arsenal

Why? He's a professional.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I hope Cech wears his helmet while scouting and signing players

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Very good in fact.

Well he was never leaving this summer anyway after being given a one year extension. I'm hoping this is a Valencia type captaincy, where he won't actually play and the on-field captain will be oh let's say... Moe.

But if he's actually in Solskjaer's plans for next season in any meaningful way then the club's truly lost the plot (again).

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 22, 2019

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

Very good in fact.

Well he was never leaving this summer anyway after being given a one year extension. I'm hoping this is a Valencia type captaincy, where he won't actually play and the on-field captain will be oh let's say... Moe.

But if he's actually in Solskjaer's plans for next season in any meaningful way then the club's truly lost the plot (again).

It’s not an on-field role, apparently that’s been offered to loving Pogba.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shrapnig posted:

It’s not an on-field role, apparently that’s been offered to loving Pogba.

Who might be off to Real this summer.

It's a great state of affairs at the ol' Manchester United these days.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I'm delighted that big clubs seem to be using the Sporting Director role as just a jobs for the boys exercise rather than taking it seriously

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Blue Star Error posted:

I'm delighted that big clubs seem to be using the Sporting Director role as just a jobs for the boys exercise rather than taking it seriously

What does a sporting director even do?

Most of the people doing it seem to be ex footballers so it doesn't seem like it's an extremely technical role otherwise thick ex-footballers couldn't do it.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

fat gay nonce posted:

What does a sporting director even do?

Most of the people doing it seem to be ex footballers so it doesn't seem like it's an extremely technical role otherwise thick ex-footballers couldn't do it.

It seems to vary between being a football dictator and an entirely ceremonial position. Norwich's is basically in charge of everything to do with football. So he appoints the manager, all the scouting staff, all the academy staff, and they all answer to him and do his bidding. Imagine Rio Ferdinand trying to do that for Man United.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Apparently Trippier has agreed terms with Napoli.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out mate

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Looke posted:

Apparently Trippier has agreed terms with Napoli.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out mate

But Blinkz0r said he was better than Robertson....

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

Id have to imagine that was probably before it became clear he wasnt

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
He was, for a brief moment.

Then he wasn't.

:shrug:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Liverpool's Sporting Director is Michael Edwards who gets ridiculous money for poo poo players

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
In fairness, his purple patch was as good as any we've seen for a while

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

EvilHawk posted:

Liverpool's Sporting Director is Michael Edwards who gets ridiculous money for poo poo players

I used to hate him, but he’s been on a good streak. I hope it continues.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

gtkor posted:

Id have to imagine that was probably before it became clear he wasnt

This was back in February.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Blue Star Error posted:

It seems to vary between being a football dictator and an entirely ceremonial position. Norwich's is basically in charge of everything to do with football. So he appoints the manager, all the scouting staff, all the academy staff, and they all answer to him and do his bidding. Imagine Rio Ferdinand trying to do that for Man United.

I'm imagining the expanded opportunities for new world cup windups

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I don’t think anyone could merk Manchester United harder than they currently are but I’m sure he’d have a good go at it

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Any truth to the rumor that United might lose DeGea?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Good read

https://twitter.com/Linda_Pizzuti/status/1131215231194214407

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Any truth to the rumor that United might lose DeGea?

He's entering the last year of his contract so I'm sure there's truth there.

If he isn't going to sign a new contract I'd rather United get the money for him this summer instead of letting him gently caress off on a free at the end of next season.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

He's entering the last year of his contract so I'm sure there's truth there.

If he isn't going to sign a new contract I'd rather United get the money for him this summer instead of letting him gently caress off on a free at the end of next season.

Who else will have him? I suspect he’ll end up signing a new deal with Man-U.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Who else will have him? I suspect he’ll end up signing a new deal with Man-U.

The answer is always PSG.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

On cue...

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1131197309813972993

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Wilson might actually be good

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

tarbrush posted:

Wilson might actually be good

he's not £25m good and he's certainly not close to the level Liverpool are currently at, so if they can offload him at that price they should

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

CyberPingu posted:

Cannon_Fodder posted:

He was, for a brief moment.

Then he wasn't.

:shrug:

Swings and roundabouts m8

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

A long read, but a good one, thank you!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Blinkz0rz posted:

Swings and roundabouts m8

Fair point. I don't dislike the player.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This sort of article is so bad. They interview some successful team and allow the analytics guy to take credit for a bunch of the good stuff. They never talk about the analytics guy who fucks everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Vegetable posted:

This sort of article is so bad. They interview some successful team and allow the analytics guy to take credit for a bunch of the good stuff. They never talk about the analytics guy who fucks everything up.

The article sort of covers how much criticism Edwards was getting before Liverpool hit a fortunate streak, but you do have a good point. It'd be nice to see a dissection of a club recovering from a situation where all the data science went wrong. I'd love to see where the blame ends up lying there.