Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Twelve by Pies posted:

He's actually apparently an Ultraman reference.

Like every Future Rider, he is reference to another Toku, in this case indeed it is Ultraman. KR Ginga shares his name and VA with Ultraman Ginga. The same VA also voiced Kivat, which is likely why he appeared in the Kiva Arc even though he's completely out of place.

That said, he's also a Fourze reference. His suit is a reuse of Meteor States, and one of Woz Ginga's finishers is the Super Galaxy Explosion, much like Cosmic States' Rider Super Galaxy Finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Twelve by Pies posted:

He's actually apparently an Ultraman reference.

DoGaBaKi form was so cool and it got used for only one episode. Hell I think Bassha form was only used for a single episode as well. The Arms Monsters were rad and then they just disappeared so they could push Emperor Form early.

I can see why they decided to just make Emperor the new default form given that the metal boot and metal chains on the original costume actually made the suit actor pass out on set multiple times.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Geostomp posted:

I can see why they decided to just make Emperor the new default form given that the metal boot and metal chains on the original costume actually made the suit actor pass out on set multiple times.
Beg pardon? :raise: I thought he just hated the Kiva suit because it was topheavy as hell and a pain to do stunts in

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah didn't they debut Emperor form extremely early by Rider standards due to that

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've never heard passing out, but he'd definitely have strained himself with the Kiva base form.

To have an actor pass out with suit acting, you generally need some extreme conditions. The original Godzilla suit, for instance, was a massive beast where the original version couldn't even be used as a whole suit. It was too rigid and too heavy. Even the one they COULD use was a nightmare to work in.

And then there's the Burning Godzilla suit, which literally knocked the poor actor out because the smoke effects got backed up into the suit and nearly suffocated him.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My understanding is doing a stunt in the Kiva base suit almost caused him to die, at which point he wanted nothing to do with it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Aizen Makoto is absolutely killing it being a guest star on the Ultraman New Generation Chronicles.

He just did a whole new pantomime routine from an Ultraman Orb episode while clowning with Pega and Bookska.

Of course this ignores that technically he was separated from Cereza in the series and therefore shouldn't exist in his current state unless those pantomimes come from his human side..

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Inoue finally wrote an episode worse than the Ramen Episode of Timeranger

It only took like 19 years

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I liked this episode. It meshed perfectly with my theory that Tsougo is inventing this poo poo as he goes along. He's double dealing against himself to have enough counterbalances in case he goes beserk as Overlord of time and space. So all the jankiness made a much more creepier sense. Also Tsougo's girlfriend is cool as poo poo, she has to stay.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Build stuff:

https://twitter.com/GenmCorp/status/1129921813243416576

God I just don't care about how terrible Cross-Z was but I'll probably watch this anyways. Nice of them to bring back Grease Blizzard at least, it's definitely his best-looking form.

On Zi-O, we have our next arc and its returning characters. It's Kabuto, with my friend kaGAmi and the Hoppers back. No Tendou himself, which saddens me since I did have hopes for Hiro Mizushima but it is what it is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaze Dragon posted:

On Zi-O, we have our next arc and its returning characters. It's Kabuto, with my friend kaGAmi and the Hoppers back. No Tendou himself, which saddens me since I did have hopes for Hiro Mizushima but it is what it is.

Incredibly blessed arc incoming. Hopefully we'll get them to bust out all three of those suits cause they're all top 10 of all timers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Incredibly blessed arc incoming. Hopefully we'll get them to bust out all three of those suits cause they're all top 10 of all timers.

That entire series had insanely good Rider designs. I can't think of a single one I dislike.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaze Dragon posted:

That entire series had insanely good Rider designs. I can't think of a single one I dislike.

two of the 3 movie ones are kind of lame but Causcasus makes up for it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

No Tendou. :(

Is it me or do the hoppers reprise their role at every chance they get. Both were also in Decade right?
Hyped for Kagami.

I think Drake was my least favorite rider design from the series. Despite the awesome wings at the front of the suit it never clicked with me

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

in honour of next week's zi o tribute, and to wash the taste of ep 36 out. i went and re-watched Kabuto 1-2 , which is also the only kabuto i've seen, like a year ago. i think i'm in a good mood today, because i liked that way better than i did the first time. Tendou's great.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I actually don't really like Tendou as a character very much but it's fine since KaGAmi is the true main character of Kabuto anyway.

Also in reference to next week's Zi-O episode, man Punch Hopper got old, Kick Hopper still looks pretty much the same though. Also Punch Hopper apparently also got alive again, somehow. Or maybe it's just a worm.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This week's Ryusoul is kinda boring, ngl.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah Kabuto was more about the insane people in kaGAmi's orbit than actually anything about Tendou(who manages to remain fairly mysterious throughout the show).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

coconono posted:

yeah Kabuto was more about the insane people in kaGAmi's orbit than actually anything about Tendou(who manages to remain fairly mysterious throughout the show).

It's one of the things I really like in hindsight of Kabuto. Kagami moves the plot, Kagami develops. Tendou is already at the endpoint as far as character journeys go.
Maybe comparing it to Sherlock Holmes/Watson is better, we have no idea what Sherlock/Tendou is doing or why, but he's always right. Kagami/Watson meanwhile runs around and actually does stuff.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I got strong oldschool Dr. Who vibes from Tendou. Like he's this weird dude doing weird poo poo and you're gonna get dragged to another dimension, best to avoid but dang he's just so interesting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think the big thing that's not working with me in these character development episodes so far is that there's not really been anything to base the character issues from the previous episodes. Blue's lack of confidence was really only brought up in the previous episode and Pink not being listened to is the same way. Yeah, she's a meat head, but in previous eps, she seemed to have a tendency to force her way into the conversation rather than retreating.

The lack of ongoing plot thread also doesn't help with the lack of any other compelling things beyond some of the interesting things they do with the fight camera work and mecha choreography.

It's looking like the next episode is the first upgrade which seems kinda early, but given the lack of strong collectable gimmick for the mecha, is almost a little late

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm ok with Ryusoulgers as a thing I'll watch but not actually have any strong feelings about(other than Tyramigo. Tyramigo is life). Its comfort food toku ala Ultraman. I'm good with that.

With NJPW's Super Juniors tournament taking a few days off, I was able to catch up on some toku sitting on my hard drive.

JAKQ - its another Ishinomori jam! Lots of people die in the first episode and the lady's shorts are way too short so they have to shoot her from the waist up at all times.

Daimajin Kanon - I've talked about this before but its too good not to keep mentioning. I'm about 6-7 episodes in and the real draw is seeing all the ways life takes a dump on Kanon, the leading lady of the show. They aren't shy about the romance elements in this one either. Taihei, the male lead, is a complete stalker and should be arrested.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Finally watched Heisei Generations Forever. It was really good! The moment with OG Ryotaro and Momo was fantastic, as was the "You must be Kazumi from Build because Otoyo from Kiva would be odd."

A couple of things I didn't understand though. How is it Sento and Banjo are running around with Zi-O? They lost their memories and powers when he claimed Build's power, as is the rules of Zi-O, so how did they get them back? This might be explained in New World but I didn't watch that.

Second, and this probably doesn't actually have an answer, but how the hell did Woz access the Gaia Library?

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Finally watched Heisei Generations Forever. It was really good! The moment with OG Ryotaro and Momo was fantastic, as was the "You must be Kazumi from Build because Otoyo from Kiva would be odd."

A couple of things I didn't understand though. How is it Sento and Banjo are running around with Zi-O? They lost their memories and powers when he claimed Build's power, as is the rules of Zi-O, so how did they get them back? This might be explained in New World but I didn't watch that.

Second, and this probably doesn't actually have an answer, but how the hell did Woz access the Gaia Library?

that actually does have an answer apparently it wasn't the real gaia libary according to shirakura's twitter

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Twelve by Pies posted:

Sougo space/time fuckery! Sougo needed a way to keep the plot moving so he gave Woz access to the library. This is all a hamfisted explanation of how Sougo ended up with all these ride watches

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

How come none of y'all told me the composer for Build was Kenji fuckin' Kawai

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Doing my rounds on Heisei Generations Forever and it's a pretty good love letter to the Heisei riders and Kamen Rider fandom somewhat.

Looking at the season numbers, since Zero-One will be #30 in the list of Riders, the Crossover movie will probably be the one to have Zi-O meet with the Showa riders as a capstone tribute and also collectively celebrate the Thirtieth Rider mainline series. That might be also be saved for the series after as 2021 marks the 40th 50th(!) Anniversary of the premiere of Kamen Rider though. There's a lot of major milestones for KR clustered around this three year period.

Edit: As a gag too, the villain for the next crossover movie would be the human host(s?) of Another Double since that never got revealed due to time constraints.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 22, 2019

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

In Oma Zi-O's timeline, Google is nationalized

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Finished watching Heisei Generations Forever yesterday. I thought it was an entertaining movie, despite not having seen Build.

Good fanservice including from the cameo riders, most of which got their chance to shine. This movie could've done with some interaction between the evil Timejacker and Swarz, especially now that the latter has been set up as the real big bad, but Tid was just ridiculously powerful.

I was loving Den-O's return, it reminded me how much I enjoyed Den-O. :)
Though I was a bit disappointed at Urataros doing all the talking and letting Ryotaro remain silent except a bit at the end when his eyes turned normal again. But the interactions between the Imagin were still great and I still have a big soft spot for the Den-O modular armor and accompanying sounds.

I also like how Tsukuyomi's line when she lost her memory "Who's Tsukuyomi?" can now be viewed in a completely different light.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 22, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Some details on the next movie have emerged, including three new Riders in it;

all three use Ride Watches(with Zi-O/Geiz style belts), with them using the following each

1) Black and Black RX

2) Shin, ZO, and J

3) the Amazon Riders

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

drrockso20 posted:

Some details on the next movie have emerged, including three new Riders in it;

all three use Ride Watches(with Zi-O/Geiz style belts), with them using the following each

1) Black and Black RX

2) Shin, ZO, and J

3) the Amazon Riders

Spoiler image ahead:

From left to right: Blarck (Black + RX), Zojin (the 90s Riders) and Zamons (Amazons)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Am I misreading you guys or does Zamons actually use powers from the Prime series Amazons, and not the Showa-era show?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Am I misreading you guys or does Zamons actually use powers from the Prime series Amazons, and not the Showa-era show?

The former, yes.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

The former, yes.

Holy poo poo, that's awesome.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, the cool thing about them is they represent Rider stuff that's technically from the Heisei era, but aren't officially counted as Heisei Riders. The lack of The First and G is disappointing though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So where's all the showa ridewatchs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TokuNation/status/1131252297277698048

Think emoji

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, the cool thing about them is they represent Rider stuff that's technically from the Heisei era, but aren't officially counted as Heisei Riders. The lack of The First and G is disappointing though.

Well apparently Toei doesn't own the rights to G(hence why they've never reused his suit), and they don't seem to like acknowledging either The First or The Next as existing either

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can't really blame them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Of course they wouldn't give us the name Zi-O ZO Armor so we can all choke on pronunciation.