Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ditocoaf posted:

Lol, oops, Kat copy/pasted some code that's more specific than she expected.

She disassembled the "contract of ownership moving from one person to another" data she snagged earlier, used part of that code in her software for generically transferring personal traits, but overlooked some hard-coded stuff about that contract.

Exactly what I thought. Turns out Kat is just like every other programmer out there who just wants to make it work. What could go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

scary ghost dog posted:

cant help but feel like this story would be generally more interesting sometimes if bureaucrats didnt constantly step in to prevent conflicts
I feel the exact opposite

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

due to etheric shenannigans, your warranty is now void.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Please, let another ancient Etheric being from a different jurisdiction step in claiming it also breached their laws so we can have a full blown red tape chapter

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Please, let another ancient Etheric being from a different jurisdiction step in claiming it also breached their laws so we can have a full blown red tape chapter

Suddenly a door appears out of the floor.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

scary ghost dog posted:

cant help but feel like this story would be generally more interesting sometimes if bureaucrats didnt constantly step in to prevent conflicts

I mean, it is British.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ragnar34 posted:

What's this about solving Annie? It's fine, there's just more of her now. That's fine.

This is correct.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Also what I tell myself when I gain weight

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ditocoaf posted:

Lol, oops, Kat copy/pasted some code that's more specific than she expected.

She disassembled the "contract of ownership moving from one person to another" data she snagged earlier, used part of that code in her software for generically transferring personal traits, but overlooked some hard-coded stuff about that contract.

Okay, one last, brief sync:
robocopy $source $destination

...nothing? Oh, right, there was extra gobblygook for Renard:
robocopy $source $destination /Copy:S

Hm. It's permissions errors on both volumes? Should I not be able to just read and copy the source as before from my baseline copy?
robocopy $source $destination /E /Copy:S /IS /IT /r:1 /w:1 /log:d:\log.log /V /NP

Urrrgh. Maybe this will sync.
robocopy $source $destination /Copy:ATSOU
robocopy $source $destination /MIR

...you know, I bet I had inherited perms before but locked myself out with the baseline copy. No matter:
[as CREATOR_OWNER] takeown $destination -F
robocopy $source $destination /SECFIX

world starts bending

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 21, 2019

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Diego's documentation for the arrow was just a bunch of rubbish love poems directed towards Jeanne. The fact that Kat did as well as she has so far is an example of her diligence.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hey remember when Bad Dad made a deal with some creepy looking ether dudes to make an antenna and they tricked him and it almost killed Annie? Did Diego make a similar bargain to make the arrow and that’s where this contract breach is coming in?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Does the Arbiter's speech look like the stuff Diego used to code/activate his golembots?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love the little ghost man and his clipboard

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Macaluso posted:

I love the little ghost man and his clipboard

Final page of this chapter: Kat staring at an unholy abomination of shifting lines of code and legal jargon, like a window into the Matrix.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

JAIL JAIL JAIL JAIL

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
Welp, that's it, comic over. Was good while it lasted.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

10 year timeskip when Kat gets released from prison and Annies are now the heads of a crime gang.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sorry, mistranslation

it appears it also involves an eagle eating your liver, jail really doesnt do it justice

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

Applying previous Gunnerkrigg patterns to the current page: big scary monster head we can't understand is a chill friendly bro, initially adorable cute thing is literally ghost Hitler
Currently 50% correct

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

*transfers owership of ghost and arbiter to kat*

"Uhm."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
We're gonna have to put you in jail! Unfortunately, you are not an ether ghost, so there's nothing preventing you from just leaving. It's not a very well-designed system.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
She should've set up a VPN. :colbert: A good hacker would've done that Kat.

The arrow was used on multiple contract breaches. He can be referring to Jean and her lover, but I wonder if it did more. And what kind of contract did they have, or is he just referring to the usual, at some point you die and your spirit goes to the ether contract?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

*camera pulls back to reveal multiple Annan Waters around Gunnerkrigg court*

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Ghoooooooooooost Jail

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Full of diabolical psychological torments that Kat interprets as an annoying guy in a cheap devil costume waving his arms around her and saying "I'm not touching youuuuu"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I choose to believe that they are just going to keep Kat's processes in a separate virtual system so as not to affect the other computers ala FreeBSD.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

She should've set up a VPN. :colbert: A good hacker would've done that Kat.

The arrow was used on multiple contract breaches. He can be referring to Jean and her lover, but I wonder if it did more. And what kind of contract did they have, or is he just referring to the usual, at some point you die and your spirit goes to the ether contract?

The arrow did a lot of damage as described here: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1341

Diego really hosed some poo poo up all through the ether with that thing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Regy Rusty posted:

The arrow did a lot of damage as described here: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1341

Diego really hosed some poo poo up all through the ether with that thing.

ROTD and See Ya were some top-tier chapters, let me tell you.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

ROTD and See Ya were some top-tier chapters, let me tell you.

I may have just reread both of them in their entirety after finding that page

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I may have just reread both of them in their entirety after finding that page

As is proper with Good Webcomic Gunnerkrigg Court.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Randomly rereading large portions of the comic because someone linked a good-rear end page has been tradition for this thread for years. It is a good tradition to uphold.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This comic is really dense in the best way. I just finished re-reading it and have already forgotten a bunch of stuff about that arrow. I also appreciate that the artist will include little background-panel callbacks to things being referenced many chapters later even if it's usually been so long I don't even remember the original context. Maybe I'm bad at reading.

Also the artistic style has come a long rear end way.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Randomly rereading large portions of the comic because someone linked a good-rear end page has been tradition for this thread for years. It is a good tradition to uphold.

I find it worrying that the comic is so long cause re-reading whole of it when a good page is posted takes so much time now.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Speaking of re-reads because someone linked a page: These tags also look like how the Arbitrator is talking

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BrightWing posted:

Speaking of re-reads because someone linked a page: These tags also look like how the Arbitrator is talking

Hmm I'm not so sure. We also get a look at it on this page: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1401

And it's just one vertical line that isn't nearly as busy as what the Arbiter's is.

I'd say it's more likely it's some form of Japanese as they resemble these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofuda

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

20 years later, prison-hardened Annie comes after luxury living Annie in a tale of revenge you won't want to miss

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Pretty sure Kat is going to be able to negotiate her way out of this, but even if she can't, the idea idea trying to keep Kat in ether jail is pretty laughable. All she needed to disable the last ether prison she saw was a hairpin. Actually getting inside it was the only hard part.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Who could've seen Gunnerkrigg Court copying the ending of Monty Python &the Holy Grail?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I look forward to The Breakout Part 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Hmm I'm not so sure. We also get a look at it on this page: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1401

And it's just one vertical line that isn't nearly as busy as what the Arbiter's is.

I'd say it's more likely it's some form of Japanese as they resemble these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofuda

nah, his speech doesn't look anything like any form of writing based off Japanese or Chinese logograms, there aren't even any proto-radicals.

i'd say he's most likely based off something from around the time of Mesopotamia.

e:oh, wait, you're talking about the anti-magic talismans. yeah that's def based on ofuda.