Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

What’s the scoop on Sentinels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

hup posted:

In general, excellent solo-blasters, but worse in group content.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Admittedly that's a proof of concept the I25 guys did. Point yourself north on Talos, press R, and get a sandwich, eventually you'll zone into the water south of Peregrine.

It's just like running through a road tunnel, only the zone line is much wider.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 22, 2019

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

hup posted:

the damage isn't really as good but you spend less time on the razor's edge between quick and dead

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

hup posted:

Here's some numbers someone did on the Homecoming forums.

quote:

Elec Blast 50 Average Damage
Defender Sentinel Blaster
Charged Bolts 36.15 52.83 62.56
Lightning Bolt 59.28 86.64 102.60
Ball Lightning 39.04 57.06 67.57

Invulnerability 50
Brute Sentinel Scrapper
Res.Phys 7.5% 7% 7.5%
Temp.Invuln 22.5% 21% 22.5%
Dull Pain(+/Heal) 21.6/43.2 20.5/41.0 21.0/42

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php?topic=427.0

Personally I have 2 30+ Sentinels, and I enjoy playing them.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I'm downloading as we speak, but I only played this game years ago for a few weeks and don't remember too much. Any tips for someone that doesn't really know the ins and outs?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Brutes and scrappers are the best soloers, but teams are easy to get and always the fastest way to level. All classes and powersets are viable, so come up with an interesting concept you feel attached to and build your character around it. At any given time, 25% of logged in players are in the character creator, and many consider the costume maker to be the best thing about the game. Look for the command to type into chat that gets you access to the goonsquad channel, as we're always happy to answer questions and provide guidance and team up. I think it's in the OP.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

The Bramble posted:

Brutes and scrappers are the best soloers, but teams are easy to get and always the fastest way to level. All classes and powersets are viable, so come up with an interesting concept you feel attached to and build your character around it. At any given time, 25% of logged in players are in the character creator, and many consider the costume maker to be the best thing about the game. Look for the command to type into chat that gets you access to the goonsquad channel, as we're always happy to answer questions and provide guidance and team up. I think it's in the OP.

Awesome! I've got some time while it downloads so I guess I'll pour over the wiki and try and figure out a concept.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

The Bramble posted:

Look for the command to type into chat that gets you access to the goonsquad channel,

Copy this:

/bind | beginchat /send "goonsquad"

Make sure you leave a space after the last quote after you paste that into chat or else it won't work right. You can substitute the | with any key you like. You can even get fancy and add modifiers that state your character name and/or class if you have a ton of alts.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Elblanco posted:

So I'm downloading as we speak, but I only played this game years ago for a few weeks and don't remember too much. Any tips for someone that doesn't really know the ins and outs?

If you want to keep things as simple as possible, take a Scrapper, pick primary and secondary power sets that sound cool, then go forth and punch dudes. Brutes work very similarly but their momentum feature makes them slightly less straight forward (they do less damage than Scrapers by default, but after they get going in a fight their damage increases). Most of the archetypes start out pretty simple though so feel free to be impulsive and try a bunch of things.

You may want to try other archetypes before Mastermind, Peacebringer, or Warshade though. They're not bad by any means but are a lot more complex so it helps to have a handle on the basic structure of the game before you dive in to those.

If you want to try a Dominator, don't forget to go into your Powers list and put Domination on your hotbar. Last time I made one it didn't get put on the bar automatically for some reason and it would suck for a newbie to try playing without it!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

stalkers are definitely the premier solo class now

a slight lack of survivability doesn't matter when you can delete even level bosses in a single blow

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Copy this:

/bind | beginchat /send "goonsquad"

Make sure you leave a space after the last quote after you paste that into chat or else it won't work right. You can substitute the | with any key you like. You can even get fancy and add modifiers that state your character name and/or class if you have a ton of alts.

You can also create a custom Tab that defaults to Goonsquad after you join the channel.

The last Chat channel bubble above where you type is Default, so any time you're on that tab it will default to chatting in Goonsquad.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Thundarr posted:

If you want to keep things as simple as possible, take a Scrapper, pick primary and secondary power sets that sound cool, then go forth and punch dudes. Brutes work very similarly but their momentum feature makes them slightly less straight forward (they do less damage than Scrapers by default, but after they get going in a fight their damage increases). Most of the archetypes start out pretty simple though so feel free to be impulsive and try a bunch of things.

You may want to try other archetypes before Mastermind, Peacebringer, or Warshade though. They're not bad by any means but are a lot more complex so it helps to have a handle on the basic structure of the game before you dive in to those.

If you want to try a Dominator, don't forget to go into your Powers list and put Domination on your hotbar. Last time I made one it didn't get put on the bar automatically for some reason and it would suck for a newbie to try playing without it!

I'd add that if you want to play a control class as a beginner, Controller might be the better choice. They can't solo as well but their support secondary makes them less squishy. Dominators do nice damage but you need to be on top of your controls because you've got no defenses and no built in way to recover from mistakes, at least at the start. edit: Also a Controller's hold immediately work on bosses for I think 75% of the normal duration, and their base duration is higher than Dominator holds. Don't need to stack holds or use Domination to stay safe. As detailed below they only have a chance to do that and I'm an idiot.

Alternatively gently caress it, it's not that bad and Dominators do the big hurt pain. Don't be afraid to hit Domination when you're: low on stamina, see a boss, see lots of people, or are bored. It comes back super quick.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 22, 2019

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

TGLT posted:

edit: Also a Controller's hold immediately work on bosses for I think 75% of the normal duration, and their base duration is higher than Dominator holds. Don't need to stack holds or use Domination to stay safe.

Say what? Controller holds are Mag 3, you need mag 4 or higher to hold a boss. Controllers holds do have a change to critical which will add 1 to the mag, so there is a small chance you can hold a boss in 1 go but most of the time you will not.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Roach Warehouse posted:

I'm literally just starting that arc this minute and all I could think was that these people sound perfectly within their rights to be irate about the secret immortality tech being kept for an elite few.

Repeat these five words after me: It Is A Nemesis Plot.

Jazerus posted:

a slight lack of survivability doesn't matter when you can delete even level bosses in a single blow

Oh you sweet summer child, a few continuous omniscient ambushes will have you changing your tune in a jiffy.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 22, 2019

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ClassH posted:

Say what? Controller holds are Mag 3, you need mag 4 or higher to hold a boss. Controllers holds do have a change to critical which will add 1 to the mag, so there is a small chance you can hold a boss in 1 go but most of the time you will not.

It has been actual years since I've touched Controllers, I forgot the critical hold wasn't just part of their base hold. It is apparently 20%, so yeah they're not that much better at handling bosses than Dominators.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh you sweet summer child, a few continuous omniscient ambushes will have you changing your tune in a jiffy.

those do suck but you're not hide-dependent for big assassin's strikes anymore, you can build up 3 charges of a buff that's a 50%-ish proc on all primary powers and then trigger an assassin's strike

so it really only changes things for a few seconds compared to fighting normal packs

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

*Nemesis Staff*
*Placate*
*teleports behind u*

But yeah I know what you mean. Having a boss (or stronger) spawn and zero in on you regardless of your abilities tends to suck.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So speaking of Sentinels-- how legit is Fighting with that synergy stuff and how redundant is it on a Sentinel? I wanna make a Grammaton Cleric with Dual Pistols/Ninjitsu (or maybe SR?)/Fighting, but I have a strong suspicion it'll be poo poo. Not that it's gonna stop me, I just want to know how much I should brace for impact.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 22, 2019

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

hup posted:

Their numbers are somewhat lower than Scrappers or Blasters, but they have more team utility than I think people know about since their inherent power is pretty confusing.

Every one of the Sentinel's attacks applies -5% resistance. This part's unique; multiple attacks won't stack it, but multiple Sentinels will. Effectively this means anyone attacking a Sentinel's target (including their own attacks) does 5% more damage.

When their bar fills up, they can use their tier 1 or 2 attack to trigger an Opportunity. Both opportunities add an additional -20% resistance on the target and makes the big reticle graphic around them. The tier 1 blast makes an Offensive Opportunity, which adds extra damage to every attack. The tier 2 blast makes a Defensive Opportunity, which restores health and endurance with every attack. Both the extra damage and HP/end seem to scale off of the attack's base damage.

Adding an extra -25% resistance on a hard target is nothing to sneeze at. For comparison, a Corruptor's average resistance debuff does -24%. A Defender's does -30%.

There are also other small changes that are easily glanced over; no snipes or damage auras, but all the lovely low damage stuns or holds hit very very hard, instead. Secondaries are tweaked as well: Super Reflexes can ditch Practiced Brawler in favor of an absorb shield click that bakes in the mez protection to its toggles. Regeneration has toggled Instant Healing, but it provides ticking absorb to buffer for your regen. Fire Armor has a global damage buff and adds fire procs to everything. Probably lots of other small details I've missed.

Their damage could come up a slight bit, but it's mostly the fact that their entire secondary feels redundant in a team setting since they can just stand in the back like ranged does. Obviously it's not always that simple, but it's probably the reason why the actual devs opted for designing the VEATs as they did for their version of "ranged with armor."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

as a bonus, -res also makes any of your teammates' -dmg debuffs more effective due to the bonkers math of -dmg

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Looking forward to leveling Gandalf the Bae later

staff stalker with ninjitsu because why not. none of the ninja options looked good to me and i wanted to make a muscle whizzard

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Jazerus posted:

So what exactly is the difference in survivability anyways? Because it looks like everything is literally the same except for a small difference in HP. It was still stupid easy to softcap /Nin (or /Sr).

On a related note, is the Def debuff resistance on /Nin any different than /Sr? I don't really see much of a difference between the two sets except /Nin seems to have more toys and a heal.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Their numbers are somewhat lower than Scrappers or Blasters, but they have more team utility than I think people know about since their inherent power is pretty confusing.

Every one of the Sentinel's attacks applies -5% resistance. This part's unique; multiple attacks won't stack it, but multiple Sentinels will. Effectively this means anyone attacking a Sentinel's target (including their own attacks) does 5% more damage.

When their bar fills up, they can use their tier 1 or 2 attack to trigger an Opportunity. Both opportunities add an additional -20% resistance on the target and makes the big reticle graphic around them. The tier 1 blast makes an Offensive Opportunity, which adds extra damage to every attack. The tier 2 blast makes a Defensive Opportunity, which restores health and endurance with every attack. Both the extra damage and HP/end seem to scale off of the attack's base damage.

Adding an extra -25% resistance on a hard target is nothing to sneeze at. For comparison, a Corruptor's average resistance debuff does -24%. A Defender's does -30%.

There are also other small changes that are easily glanced over; no snipes or damage auras, but all the lovely low damage stuns or holds hit very very hard, instead. Secondaries are tweaked as well: Super Reflexes can ditch Practiced Brawler in favor of an absorb shield click that bakes in the mez protection to its toggles. Regeneration has toggled Instant Healing, but it provides ticking absorb to buffer for your regen. Fire Armor has a global damage buff and adds fire procs to everything. Probably lots of other small details I've missed.

Their damage could come up a slight bit, but it's mostly the fact that their entire secondary feels redundant in a team setting since they can just stand in the back like ranged does. Obviously it's not always that simple, but it's probably the reason why the actual devs opted for designing the VEATs as they did for their version of "ranged with armor."

My dp/wp Sentinel is running like six toggles and is reasonably better at eating alphas than most ranged attackers. The healing from Defensive Opportunity is pretty anemic but it's nice to put a giant "shoot this guy" target on somebody after I launch an Itano Circus of bullets into his pile of friends.

They don't have either a Blaster's damage or a Scrapper's resilience but they're decently capable on their own, and bring a bit more to a team than just their own personal dps.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Hakarne posted:

So what exactly is the difference in survivability anyways? Because it looks like everything is literally the same except for a small difference in HP. It was still stupid easy to softcap /Nin (or /Sr).

On a related note, is the Def debuff resistance on /Nin any different than /Sr? I don't really see much of a difference between the two sets except /Nin seems to have more toys and a heal.

Between Scrapper and Stalker, it's just a difference in base/max HP. At a base, Stalkers have a Blaster's HP, and their cap is lower than a Scrapper's.

SR has more than double the amount of defense debuff resistance than Nin, 20% extra recharge, and scaling resists that increase as your HP goes down, as well as just more native defense in the set.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ninja has more toys though and who needs resistance to debuffs when your enemies are too busy punching each other or escaping your caltrops to debuff you? :colbert:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Between a pure 5% chance to get hit and the game's streak-breaker taking mercy on the enemies, inevitably some hits will still get through. Something will debuff you, you get easier to hit, eat another debuff, etc.

I've never messed much with NInjitsu but the added tools never seemed worth it to me to be building off of pure defense with that little debuff resistance. For other defense sets, /Shield grants you more debuff resistance (if only by a sliver) and has great offense potential. /EA has pretty significant debuff resistance and gets you good healing, endurance, and recharge bonuses.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gynovore posted:

If you enjoy stuff that's less than serious, Master Midnight is awesome.

The problem is that Master Midnight acts like a goofus while actually being a huge piece of poo poo with a grimdark backstory. And ultimately his entire motivation is that he wants to stick his dick in Diabolique. Haaaaaaate.

Sea Lily posted:

I still have the other two lying around somewhere, and remember almost nothing about the first one, and remember thinking the second one was really weird

The first novel is fine. It makes some odd choices here and there but it's an all around alright story and its nice to get some backstory on Statesman, Recluse, and the original Phalanx. Plus you get Brass Monday and other Nemesis shenanigans!

The second novel is definitely weird. They just kinda...inserted Vanessa DeVore into the story to be a foil for Sister Psyche but also clearly realized at some point it couldn't actually be Vanessa DeVore so instead it's some other psychic weirdo with a mask. There's also a suuuuuuuuuuper uncomfortable bit where Sister Psyche is captured and has to suffer through the guards outside her cell loudly thinking about how much they want to gently caress her. :yikes: Otherwise it's kind of a generic superhero team plot where Lord Recluse has a generic grandiose plan to ~destroy Paragon City~ and has teamed up with a bunch of other chumps that are conveniently the nemeses of each of the rest of the Phalanx. The one standout bit of the book is the subplot where Statesman is dealing with his wife dying and wanting to pull a Doctor Manhattan and just gently caress off instead of bothering with Positron's attempt to reboot the Phalanx.

That's really the main thing, both books do a much better job of characterizing Statesman than literally any other City of Heroes thing. Especially not the comics, where Statesman was a scowling jackass who was never not yelling at somebody (except in Troy Hickman's arc, which not coincidentally was one of if not the only good story of the bunch). The Web of Arachnos also gives you a glimpse into Recluse's whole deal and it's a shame that basically none of it ever made it into the game (this was allegedly going to change at some point due to Red Widow coming back, but again, game died before they could execute on any of it).

Glazius posted:

Admittedly that's a proof of concept the I25 guys did. Point yourself north on Talos, press R, and get a sandwich, eventually you'll zone into the water south of Peregrine.

It's just like running through a road tunnel, only the zone line is much wider.

You could do it on live going from Peregrine to Talos.

Cabbit posted:

So speaking of Sentinels-- how legit is Fighting with that synergy stuff and how redundant is it on a Sentinel? I wanna make a Grammaton Cleric with Dual Pistols/Ninjitsu (or maybe SR?)/Fighting, but I have a strong suspicion it'll be poo poo. Not that it's gonna stop me, I just want to know how much I should brace for impact.

I think it was earlier in this very thread that somebody said the full Fighting synergy stuff was actually pretty drat good.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Mat Cauthin the Staff/SR Scrapper is here to toss some drat dice!

Perrin Aybara (Who was harder to make for some reason) is here to summon some wolves!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

John Murdoch posted:

The problem is that Master Midnight acts like a goofus while actually being a huge piece of poo poo with a grimdark backstory. And ultimately his entire motivation is that he wants to stick his dick in Diabolique. Haaaaaaate.

Midnight Master is a weird character. You've got a storyline full to bursting with busty, powerful women in skimpy outfits. And you've got a character who's sole motivation is that he wants to sleep with one of them. All of them? A good one, an evil one? He just wants to see some boobs, honestly. And you've gotta work with him because he's got the magical tools you need to save the day. He feels like a pretty cutting critique of a lot of people playing the game.

I think he'd work better as a character if Vanessa DeVore didn't occasionally say, "Oooooh, he will be redeemed by the power of looooove," because gently caress no he won't be, MM is human trash.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Between a pure 5% chance to get hit and the game's streak-breaker taking mercy on the enemies, inevitably some hits will still get through. Something will debuff you, you get easier to hit, eat another debuff, etc.

I've never messed much with NInjitsu but the added tools never seemed worth it to me to be building off of pure defense with that little debuff resistance. For other defense sets, /Shield grants you more debuff resistance (if only by a sliver) and has great offense potential. /EA has pretty significant debuff resistance and gets you good healing, endurance, and recharge bonuses.
Shield is good, but don't write off ninjitsu just yet.

Ninjitsu on scrappers gets resistances just like shield (without the psionic hole). Not quite as much, but it has more base defence to compensate. It also gets an end recovery skill and a heal.

Ninjitsu on stalkers doesn't get resistances or end recovery, but it does get caltrops. Caltrops is amazing, probably worth the price of admission alone (which is lucky, because smoke flash is shite and blinding powder's recharge is way too long). The way it fucks with the AI means it cuts incoming attacks down to almost nothing.

EA is great too, but seems to have a significant psi and toxic hole, which could be pretty nasty depending what you're fighting.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 23, 2019

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Gynovore posted:

The writing at CoH launch was very :effort:. 90% of missions were "Hey, uh, I think I saw some badguys in that warehouse over there, maybe go check it out? Hmmm, you found an artifact, show it to my friend three zones over? Okay, so it's evil, maybe go beat up some Hellions on the streets until someone talks? Hmmm, they're having an evil artifact party, go into the warehouse to bust them? They weren't in that warehouse, go try that other one? Not there either, how about *that* warehouse? Hooray, the evil artifacts are off the streets, have a cookie."

My new favourite old contact is Madeline Casey, whose first mission opens with her telling you "I'm kinda suspicious of these carnival people, so I spoke to the PPD and got them to put an impenetrable emergency forcefield around a couple of city blocks so you can go beat them up."

Who is this woman who has the authority to get the police to cordon off a section of the city on some mild suspicion? A soap opera actress.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

tooterfish posted:

Shield is good, but don't write off ninjitsu just yet.

Ninjitsu on scrappers gets resistances just like shield (without the psionic hole). Not quite as much, but it has more base defence to compensate. It also gets an end recovery skill and a heal.

Ninjitsu on stalkers doesn't get resistances or end recovery, but it does get caltrops. Caltrops is amazing, probably worth the price of admission alone (which is lucky, because smoke flash is shite and blinding powder's recharge is way too long). The way it fucks with the AI means it cuts incoming attacks down to almost nothing.

EA is great too, but seems to have a significant psi and toxic hole, which could be pretty nasty depending what you're fighting.

That was my thought with /Nin. Caltrops is amazing and I'm looking to make a scrapper that can easily take +8 groups solo (because it's a fun challenge ok) and that's a core part of my strategy. TP Foe a boss around a corner and burn him down, then have caltrops on the corner to gently caress with the pack as I beat them all down with soft-capped defenses to everything.

(Does TP foe drop you out of hide?)

It sounds like a fun project to me at least

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I haven't tried it on Homecoming yet but back in Live TP Foe would drop you out of hide. But especially with NuAssassin Strike, you should be able to pick off the target anyway before his friends can catch up with you. If nothing else its a great way to gank a Sapper or Raider Engineer if they're in a group dangerous enough that you don't want to just pop them with an AS.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Should've made it clearer. Scrappers don't get caltrops, they get a resistance autopower instead.

Ironically, scrapper ninjas don't even get stealth. They get end recovery instead.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

tooterfish posted:

Should've made it clearer. Scrappers don't get caltrops, they get a resistance autopower instead.

Ironically, scrapper ninjas don't even get stealth. They get end recovery instead.

They do get Stealth, it's baked into Shinobi-iri. The main statline has a typo calling it 'Self Self', but if you look at the details in game, it gives +3500% stealth radius on self.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Finally got my rad/bio brute to 50 and unlocked his alpha. Is there a recommended one? Should I just do musculature for damage? Or the end reduction one?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

They do get Stealth, it's baked into Shinobi-iri. The main statline has a typo calling it 'Self Self', but if you look at the details in game, it gives +3500% stealth radius on self.
Ah. I was looking in pine's, it's not listed in the effects there.

Playing around I noticed something. Unlike the other scrapper stealth powers, toggling shinobi-iri seems to increase the scrapper's listed damage. Weird, could be interesting.

Edit: and scrappers get caltrops in the weapon mastery epic! Oh god, I feel another alt coming on.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 23, 2019

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I keep going to make a dual blades guy (because broadsword animations are borrrinnnng), but drat this combo system looks intimidating. Any tips/tricks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Roach Warehouse posted:

I keep going to make a dual blades guy (because broadsword animations are borrrinnnng), but drat this combo system looks intimidating. Any tips/tricks?

Don't sweat the combos too much is what I'd say - if your attacks are available to make one, great, otherwise don't worry about pressing buttons out of order.

In my experience you'll eventually use Attack Vitals for single targets and Sweep for groups once you're 32 and use the build-up attack out of combo to juice yourself