Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

I built a spaceship over the weekend, and finished it up last night. Having the usual regrets about stuff I didn't notice while painting but become glaringly obvious in photos. Still, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Plus A-wing Classic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

You just reminded me I never painted my Bandai B-wing.

Those kits are a lot of fun.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

grassy gnoll posted:

I built a spaceship over the weekend, and finished it up last night. Having the usual regrets about stuff I didn't notice while painting but become glaringly obvious in photos. Still, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Plus A-wing Classic:

I love the McQuarrie colourscheme. Really nicely done.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I just put a coat of matt varnish on my zero and it's come out really weird. It looks like a stretch mark pattern where the clear coat looks like it's split before it's properly dried? I didn't run into this when I put the same clear coat on my kubelwagen (tamiya TS-80) Is this because of surface contaminant? Or did I put down too thick a coat?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

grassy gnoll posted:

Plus A-wing Classic:

This owns.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I just put a coat of matt varnish on my zero and it's come out really weird. It looks like a stretch mark pattern where the clear coat looks like it's split before it's properly dried? I didn't run into this when I put the same clear coat on my kubelwagen (tamiya TS-80) Is this because of surface contaminant? Or did I put down too thick a coat?

I have no idea about the answer to your question, but I think this looks like a pretty neat weathering effect, like the wing has been dented or something. Haven't seen anything like that before.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I think too thick a coat, it looks like it pooled there.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Molentik posted:

I think too thick a coat, it looks like it pooled there.

Agreed. Probably too heavy a coat.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maybe you could work some weathering into those places where the tearing was most evident. Some grease smears, a few bullet holes, paint chipping. Could come out very nice in the end.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I suppose that's what I get for playing fast and loose with a spray can instead of having a decent varnish I can use inside. That is a good idea with the weathering though. Happy accidents.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Yeah that would've been hard to do on purpose but I've seen similar looking marks on real aircraft in museums

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying the technique called Blackbasing for my F4U which is my newest project. A few questions:

1. How thin should the paint be?

2. How many layers of "mottling/marbling" should I do before blending it together with the topcoat?

3. How much black should you see through the paint/ how subtle should the variations in the paint be?

I'm getting an insane level of tip dry that's making it very hard to do this techinque. Does anyone have any tips or advice to avoid this, or any tips/advice in general for this technique?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Phi230 posted:

I'm trying the technique called Blackbasing for my F4U which is my newest project. A few questions:

1. How thin should the paint be?

2. How many layers of "mottling/marbling" should I do before blending it together with the topcoat?

3. How much black should you see through the paint/ how subtle should the variations in the paint be?

I'm getting an insane level of tip dry that's making it very hard to do this techinque. Does anyone have any tips or advice to avoid this, or any tips/advice in general for this technique?

Which type of paint are you using?

This is a pretty good overview of blackbasing with some examples:
https://doogsmodels.com/2014/07/03/technique-black-basing/

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

What kind of thinner are you using? I found switching to a proper flow improver really helped with dry tip, while using alcohol-based thinners made the problem infinitely worse.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Symetrique posted:

Which type of paint are you using?

This is a pretty good overview of blackbasing with some examples:
https://doogsmodels.com/2014/07/03/technique-black-basing/

grassy gnoll posted:

What kind of thinner are you using? I found switching to a proper flow improver really helped with dry tip, while using alcohol-based thinners made the problem infinitely worse.

I learned about the technique through Doogs! I'm just having difficulty applying what I'm reading/seeing on his site to real life!

I'm using Vallejo model air/vallejo general paint with Vallejo thinner.

Here is an example of some flaps I made with the blackbasing technique

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 22, 2019

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Try to use retarder and flow improver. Vallejo doesn't reduce as well as a lacquer or alcohol based acrylic, so that dry tip is gonna be brutal.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Fantastic paint job!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Phi230 posted:

I learned about the technique through Doogs! I'm just having difficulty applying what I'm reading/seeing on his site to real life!

I'm using Vallejo model air/vallejo general paint with Vallejo thinner.

Here is an example of some flaps I made with the blackbasing technique

Yeah, I did the same thing when I was buying my first airbrushing supplies. Vallejo thinner is basically the worst thing to try and thin their paints for airbrushing. It's just as dumb as it sounds.

I prefer using their flow improver to the retarder medium, since the latter is a moderately thick gel. You can get the Vallejo stuff if you like their bottle caps, or you can use Liquitex flow improver for the same effect for a little cheaper, but with a slightly crummier way to dispense the stuff out of its original bottle. Blending either with some inks and water lets you whip up your own panel liner, too.

You can also increase your transparency with some glaze medium for preference, or matte medium in a pinch. That'll let your texturing shine through more, but you'll need to dump more actual thinner in there to compensate.

(Judging by your post history I'm pretty sure you know most or all of this, so I apologize if this is redundant.)

Unrelated, but thank you to everyone with kind words about the A-wing. I forgot to post the warm fuzzies earlier.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, that A-Wing was dope as balls.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Any good tutorials on painting burned out vehicles? I have an old resin kit of a Char B1 bis that is likely not even complete, but there should be enough pieces to make a convincing burned out and abandoned husk.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ensign Expendable posted:

Any good tutorials on painting burned out vehicles? I have an old resin kit of a Char B1 bis that is likely not even complete, but there should be enough pieces to make a convincing burned out and abandoned husk.

I haven't actually done this before on purpose, but I have overweathered things to a similar extent. Also, I'm drunk.

I think what you want to do is prime it, then paint it metal. Apply a shitload of rust--burnt umber dabbed on in blotches, that kind of thing. A derelict rusting to hell is basically just a slow motion fire. Fire does to steel quickly what exposure does over months or years. So go hog wild on any parts that will have burned. Maybe hit parts that would have just been heated but not engulfed with some very thin blue and purple filters, or even just different shades of metal, to simulate heat discoloration.

Spray some soft-edged black above the origin point of flames, like the engine compartment or open hatches. Powdered pastel would work too. But be a little bit restrained, since you're simulating soot on the metal, and soot washes off relatively easy.

Then dullcoat, since even the not entirely rusted parts will have hella patina. Then apply way too much hairspray/chipping solution. Once that dries, spray on whatever the final color wouldd be. Then really go to town on it with a wet brush. You want the final color to slough off in great sheets, and wrinkle where it stays on. I've actually gotten interesting results from wet fingerprints, with a small wet brush to disrupt the obvious whorls.

Example:

Note the almost but not quite detached paint on the back, and the way the front end of the car seems fine. Would tank paint respond to flame the exact same way? Don't know, but I do know most people see more burned cars than tanks.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 23, 2019

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r5I14naXKo

A tiny MG08 Maxim!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Here's my attempt with flow improver! It actually was quite easy for me to understand how to actually do the blackbasing style paint once the flow improver worked its magic. It really is all about getting the right consistency of the paint with low PSI.

Is this how it should look or did I go too opaque? Should you see more black?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Phi230 posted:

I like it.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Phi230 posted:

I've never personally done black basing, but I think it looks perfect. As I understand it, the point of blackbasing is to slightly break up the color so the whole area isn't one continuous even tone. I'd say you hit the nail on the head!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I haven't actually done this before on purpose, but I have overweathered things to a similar extent. Also, I'm drunk.

I think what you want to do is prime it, then paint it metal. Apply a shitload of rust--burnt umber dabbed on in blotches, that kind of thing. A derelict rusting to hell is basically just a slow motion fire. Fire does to steel quickly what exposure does over months or years. So go hog wild on any parts that will have burned. Maybe hit parts that would have just been heated but not engulfed with some very thin blue and purple filters, or even just different shades of metal, to simulate heat discoloration.

Spray some soft-edged black above the origin point of flames, like the engine compartment or open hatches. Powdered pastel would work too. But be a little bit restrained, since you're simulating soot on the metal, and soot washes off relatively easy.

Then dullcoat, since even the not entirely rusted parts will have hella patina. Then apply way too much hairspray/chipping solution. Once that dries, spray on whatever the final color wouldd be. Then really go to town on it with a wet brush. You want the final color to slough off in great sheets, and wrinkle where it stays on. I've actually gotten interesting results from wet fingerprints, with a small wet brush to disrupt the obvious whorls.

Example:

Note the almost but not quite detached paint on the back, and the way the front end of the car seems fine. Would tank paint respond to flame the exact same way? Don't know, but I do know most people see more burned cars than tanks.

Good stuff, thanks. I've had some great sloughing off effects when I didn't let hair spray dry, I'll see if I can get it to happen on purpose.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Phi230 posted:

looks good!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Oh my god why is PE so small. Props to you if you do this on the regular.

Coming along really nicely!

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 24, 2019

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Scored myself a $50 xjr-9 kit yesterday. It’s one of the tamiya ones and I think the difficult part will be scoring any kind of aftermarket stuff for it as it was available last I looked but most places seem to have sold out in the mean time and I don’t know how much I trust ancient cartograph decals. In addition the kit doesn’t come with the silk cut ones which I’d like to be able to build it with.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So the Badger Patriot is on clearance for like ~$50 at Michael's rn. In case you were looking for an Airbrush.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Scored myself a $50 xjr-9 kit yesterday. It’s one of the tamiya ones and I think the difficult part will be scoring any kind of aftermarket stuff for it as it was available last I looked but most places seem to have sold out in the mean time and I don’t know how much I trust ancient cartograph decals. In addition the kit doesn’t come with the silk cut ones which I’d like to be able to build it with.

SMS makes a set, their photoetch is the best I’ve ever used: https://www.scalemotorsport.com/jaguar-xjr-9lm-photoetch-set.html

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

George Zimmer posted:

SMS makes a set, their photoetch is the best I’ve ever used: https://www.scalemotorsport.com/jaguar-xjr-9lm-photoetch-set.html

Thanks for that I didn’t know I could order direct from them. I’ve used their carbon fibre decals and they’re pretty nice to work with.
If it was available I’d shoot for studio 27 photoetch but it’s pretty hard to come by. I might have to get the 787b set before the re-release cause I imagine it’ll deep out pretty quickly after release of the kit.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Memorial Day Sherman. This is the Tamiya 1/35 early production model, and this ended up kind of bland.

This was my first time doing pigment weathering, and I probably should have pushed it further.

That said, I bought this kit just so I could put it next to my other tanks, namely

Panzer II is tiiiiiny.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

grassy gnoll posted:

Memorial Day Sherman. This is the Tamiya 1/35 early production model, and this ended up kind of bland.

TBH it's a really nice clean Sherman build. Looks great.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

That is an extremely good boy. Great paint, perfectly flat decals. Subtle but effective weathering.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Had one hell of a time masking out the tiny blue sections of the nacelles. Did a pretty lovely job at it, but the wash will cover it up a bit. The final result will be whiter, I just liked the grimdark look before I rub the excess wash off.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've spent the last two weekends helping a friend move to a stone's throw from the River Teign in Devon , and my previous holiday with my Grandma was to Swanage - so lots of time in Peco country and where my 2FS layout is set.

I neede to rebuild some pointwork at the throat that was already laid, so I've sourced some 2mm ply and I will be mounting the entry turnout and exit out to the FY as a single unit.

Here's a 1930's autocoach (the GWR's name for a driving trailer, the fireman would stay in the loco and the driver would sit in the other end of the coach and control the regulator/brake/etc.) I tried to keep it subtle, just using some inks - but it will need a going over with the airbrush for sure. It's just plonked on - no 2FS wheels or couplers - but I thought that the bright sunshine captured the feel of sunny Devon quite well:

I also have rebuilt the turnout - it will need the rest of the sleepers soldered, but I can bat a wagon down it using an x-acto handle and it stays on in all directions. Though it's not exactly a very complicated piece of track, nor am I pushing any boundaries with chairplates or detailing - I feel that I have incorporated enough little bits of knowledge along the way that it wil be successful: a joggle, a set bend, switchblades with the top 'corner' shaved down a little, and much checking and re-checking of flangeways with 0.5mm brass strip:

Just in the shot top-left is my indispensible 6-in-1 nail file, perfect for smoothing out 2FS trackwork :) You'll see I've left long tails on the pointwork, deliberately because I want to make double-sure that it all connects properly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rapido couplers are violence. That'll look great once you get your fancy-scale trucks and couplers on there.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

For once, Youtube recommended something to me that wasn't horribly irrelevant or deeply offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwSIgDKvMHk

Marvel at a man modelling a 1960s Dodge pickup, down to creating forms to recreate scale metal body panels. Just so he can dent them and have them look just right.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Fearless posted:

For once, Youtube recommended something to me that wasn't horribly irrelevant or deeply offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwSIgDKvMHk

Marvel at a man modelling a 1960s Dodge pickup, down to creating forms to recreate scale metal body panels. Just so he can dent them and have them look just right.

What the actual gently caress.

Watch it at 2x speed for extra mindbending