Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

20 years later, prison-hardened Annie comes after luxury living Annie in a tale of revenge you won't want to miss

Critics rave "It's like Double Jeopardy, except this time the protagonist can't be tried for her crimes because she technically is committing them against herself". Coming this Summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Bilirubin posted:

20 years later, prison-hardened Annie comes after luxury living Annie in a tale of revenge you won't want to miss

She'll get much experience living with smooth criminals.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can someone refresh my memory? I honestly do not remember Kat using the arrow to transfer the contract back to Annie. I thought it was as simple as going "you are the owner now"

Regy Rusty posted:

The arrow did a lot of damage as described here: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1341

Diego really hosed some poo poo up all through the ether with that thing.

Re-reading this chapter, I forgot the Psychopomps seem to have some kind of deep respect for Jones. At least the one in that chapter does, calling her "Old One".

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Macaluso posted:

Can someone refresh my memory? I honestly do not remember Kat using the arrow to transfer the contract back to Annie. I thought it was as simple as going "you are the owner now"

She didn't use it to do the transfer, but she did use it: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1927.

quote:

Re-reading this chapter, I forgot the Psychopomps seem to have some kind of deep respect for Jones. At least the one in that chapter does, calling her "Old One".

Considering she's something like the immortal personification of the Earth, who is literally older than dirt and unclaimable by any psychopomp, it does make sense.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly that would be neat territory for a side story

jones and the psychopomps throughout the ages

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

She didn't use it to do the transfer, but she did use it: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1927.

Ah that's right

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

She was just trying to gain data about how the arrow worked and also about what it means to "transfer ownership" but it seems she may not have understood the data she gathered as well as she thought.

And also might have broken some serious rules in the process.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bruceski posted:

Who could've seen Gunnerkrigg Court copying the ending of Monty Python &the Holy Grail?

Well, the Court is a silly place.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
derp

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Kat is going to get fed up and order the Arbiter of Whatever and little ghost pal to stuff Arthur in his new body and get out of her workshop like the librarian in the RotD.

"b-but... it's my jurisdiction..." "OUT"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

While doing a slight reread of my own, I wonder if this stuff in particular will come up again since the arrow is relevant:
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1833

specifically the arrow being built like one of diego's golems, the similarities to court robots by extension and the weird device that we haven't seen since but I bet is probably being used in kat's computer anyway.

dadcula also mentions that the arrow really messed up "other departments" in addition to ROTD & I assume separate from the psychopomps, which I assume includes our arbiter & interpreter. So maybe we'll get an idea of just how much damage this arrow did to the various ether connected realms?

also fun https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1834

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The jail is having to listen to this guy read them the spirit penal code for the next ten years. Annie emerges in her mid-20s, or her mid-but-slightly-less-20s.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Somehow I keep thinking that it's Kat who's being put to Ghost Jail here; did the comic state definitively that Annie's the one being held liable for the arrow business?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It seems like they're holding Annies responsible, as the registered owner of the arrow.

I wonder what Kat looks like right now from the point of ghost speaker and big D. Perhaps they'd be less willing to try to push her around if they see her the same way Zimmy does.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I think the dialogue is just a little vague. Kat used the arrow and it's clearly in her possession, so holding the Annies responsible wouldn't make any sense.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Just gift it to, idk, boxbot. Problem solved.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wait, I though it was clear it was Kat they are putting into etheric jail? She is the one that had the arrow, the one that studied and experimented with it and the one that is performing the whole botched soul transfer procedure that called Saslamel in the first place. Plus the interpreter is addressing a singular person, instead of two Annies. Annies and Renard are just rightfully worried and pissed that their friend is going to jail for science crimes.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I wonder why Kat's etheric simplification isn't kicking in here.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kat has always seen etheric manifestations that have a presence in the physical world, cf. all ghosts, psychopomps, the torn sea. The two times she's simplified things have been the ROTD and inside the Arrow. In both cases my interpretation is that the things Annie saw were purely of the ether and thus not part of the normal physical world. Clearly the arbiter is present in the physical world and therefore Kat can see him.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 24, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think this is two busybodies with no real authority trying to trick Kat into handing over ownership of the arrow

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

The arrow did a lot of damage as described here: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1341

Diego really hosed some poo poo up all through the ether with that thing.

I remember that because I reread that chunk last time it was posted. :shepface: Thing is, "a lot of damage" is pretty vague.

I guess Reynard hasn't been playing Ace Attorney with Kat, otherwise he would've shouted OBJECTION!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

"Haha there, I solved your two Annie problem!"
"Loup, four Annies is not a solution!"

At least that neatly bypasses the three body problem.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I think the dialogue is just a little vague. Kat used the arrow and it's clearly in her possession, so holding the Annies responsible wouldn't make any sense.

Maybe they operate under the principle of cui bono

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Scaramouche posted:

Maybe they operate under the principle of cui bono

And that's clearly the lady using the process to turn herself into the robot god :colbert:

Also I like how quickly the Annies have moved from the collective shock from last page straight into outrage, meanwhile Kat is still processing. Annie has seen this kind of poo poo before and is so done with it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Kat has always seen etheric manifestations that have a presence in the physical world, cf. all ghosts, psychopomps, the torn sea. The two times she's simplified things have been the ROTD and inside the Arrow. In both cases my interpretation is that the things Annie saw were purely of the ether and thus not part of the normal physical world. Clearly the arbiter is present in the physical world and therefore Kat can see him.

It could also be simply a matter of power level. Somehow Kat outranks the ROTD's glamour (or perhaps the ROTD isn't actively trying to run it's glamour on her), and the Arrow is probably part of her "domain." Etheric Contract Law seems like something that would be way above pretty much everyone else, so gently caress you you see what WE want.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Splicer posted:

I think this is two busybodies with no real authority trying to trick Kat into handing over ownership of the arrow

on the other hand the way kat has been incorporating tons and tons of weird poo poo into her work is pretty much a "You go too far! Your grasp exceed grasp!" conflict to a T.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A big flaming stink posted:

on the other hand the way kat has been incorporating tons and tons of weird poo poo into her work is pretty much a "You go too far! Your grasp exceed grasp!" conflict to a T.

I hate that comic.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

A big flaming stink posted:

I like that comic.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lurdiak posted:

I hate that comic.

Why do you hate that comic?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That comic is the only good thing Diaz has ever produced.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's a dumb transhumanist making fun of various stories in the sci fi genre that explore that there might be downsides to blindly forging ahead with a new technology with no heed of the social consequences or human cost. Essentially he's mad that he's being kinkshamed by smarter people.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's funny tho

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lol the caveman pooped on his own head :xd:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i am neutral to the comics because i think the premise is p good but loathe that guy i dont remember his name atm

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Regy Rusty posted:

Lol the caveman pooped on his own head :xd:

Seriously, what more do you need?

I think it's most likely that Kat no-sells just about every glamour. That would match everything else we've seen from her, so if I'm that smiley little ghost-bureaucrat I'd be a little concerned I'm about to get wedgied by a prodromal god of technology. Kat seems like she's not so low key one of the most powerful beings in the story at this point and could be a holy terror if she realized it and applied herself.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

just lol if you read stories with brightly colored illustrations in the yool 2019

especially if you make avs from them

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lurdiak posted:

It's a dumb transhumanist making fun of various stories in the sci fi genre that explore that there might be downsides to blindly forging ahead with a new technology with no heed of the social consequences or human cost. Essentially he's mad that he's being kinkshamed by smarter people.
Nah, that comic is about the hamfisted moralistic sci fi where the consequences are nonsense gibberish and the moral is monologued to the reader as "whatever you do, don't". The only thing we learn from those stories is how little the author understands the science they're fictioning about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Splicer posted:

Nah, that comic is about the hamfisted moralistic sci fi where the consequences are nonsense gibberish and the moral is monologued to the reader as "whatever you do, don't". The only thing we learn from those stories is how little the author understands the science they're fictioning about.

I'd accept that reading if the comic was made by anyone else on the planet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lurdiak posted:

I'd accept that reading if the comic was made by anyone else on the planet.
A valid point. Death to the author.

I mean of. Of the author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I can't think about that dude without remembering (paraphrasing) "IT WAS A VERY IMPORTANT AND SYMBOLIC BUTT."