Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I mean it's released in 17hrs and 15mins so you'll get a decent idea soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What's the cheapest it's going for in North America? I think I'm going to break down and buy it. The Warhammers released well and there's like a million hours of streaming and youtube out already so there's no way this is going to be another Rome 2? Right?

Watch Party Elite's review on YouTube. There are definitely problems. I bought it anyway because I'm a whale and I buy all the tw games, but I think 3k may be disappointing for many.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

drat, I don't have that! gently caress you cdkeys.com. Maybe it will magically appear tomorrow after release, otherwise I guess I have to buy it separately.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dong Zhuo died 1827 years ago today

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the Fanatical heads up, I requested a refund on my Steam pre-order so I could get in on Fanatical.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What's the cheapest it's going for in North America? I think I'm going to break down and buy it. The Warhammers released well and there's like a million hours of streaming and youtube out already so there's no way this is going to be another Rome 2? Right?

There is always a chance the game is boring because of the lack of unit variety and diplomacy systems the AI doesn't know how to use. The smartest thing to do IMO would be waiting till December and see how it shapes out, then buy it with the sale discount.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Azran posted:

There is always a chance the game is boring because of the lack of unit variety and diplomacy systems the AI doesn't know how to use. The smartest thing to do IMO would be waiting till December and see how it shapes out, then buy it with the sale discount.

Is there a way to do more than 2 people multi-player? My friend and I are playing a campaign day 1 but I can see it being more fun with a couple people.

Also I imagine one of the first dlc will be Northern 'barbarian' factions which should improve roster diversity a bit

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Is there a way to do more than 2 people multi-player? My friend and I are playing a campaign day 1 but I can see it being more fun with a couple people.

Also I imagine one of the first dlc will be Northern 'barbarian' factions which should improve roster diversity a bit

Nah total war games dont do more than 2 person campaigns. Unlikely to change, seeing as how they have such a difficult time with netcode and such

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fuf posted:

drat, I don't have that! gently caress you cdkeys.com. Maybe it will magically appear tomorrow after release, otherwise I guess I have to buy it separately.

they aren't on the sega list of approved resellers linked in the yellow turban faq, so you might be hosed

the dlc might just be free for everyone on steam the first week though, and then you would be fine

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I want to give DEI a shot, sounds interesting. There are a million DEI mods, which ones do I need?

Sorry for Babby's First DEI Mod question

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Midgetskydiver posted:

I want to give DEI a shot, sounds interesting. There are a million DEI mods, which ones do I need?

Sorry for Babby's First DEI Mod question

the DeI softcore mod is good for starting out, i used to use faster battles but battles are a bit faster nowadays (though still pretty slow)
also im sorry for you in advance for the insane loading times and dodgy perfomance
rome 2 in general needs some very specific settings for decent FPS in battles and you can find them in the second post here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?668566-Improve-performance-with-DeI

its weird lol, the game runs worse with certain settings on low, they need to be on high to make them run on the GPU

Dramicus posted:

Watch Party Elite's review on YouTube. There are definitely problems. I bought it anyway because I'm a whale and I buy all the tw games, but I think 3k may be disappointing for many.

yeah im kinda concerned its gonna burn the new fans all over again, but hopefully not.
i bought it because i am also a nerdo who always buys TW games on release. shogun 1 was the first game i ever beat and Im basically gonna be buying these day 1 until i die
i hated ThroB and Atilla though so i'm wary about their recent historicals

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm also the person who buys ever TW game day 1 and I'll be damned if I ever stop. Nevermind that I didn't put that many hours into the last few titles.

Also I might be the only person whose favourite TW is Napoleon, I hope they go back to that setting sometime soon.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Popete posted:

I'm also the person who buys ever TW game day 1 and I'll be damned if I ever stop. Nevermind that I didn't put that many hours into the last few titles.

Also I might be the only person whose favourite TW is Napoleon, I hope they go back to that setting sometime soon.

Mechanically, Fall of the Samurai is very similar around the mid-late game. Have you given that one a try?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kaza42 posted:

Mechanically, Fall of the Samurai is very similar around the mid-late game. Have you given that one a try?

No I never did, I may go back and give that a try at some point. I really liked loading canister into my front line cannons and cutting huge swathes into enemy formations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i do think CA are sorta 50% excellent 50% bottom-tier idiots, they're sometimes an... interesting dev but they're the only peope who make these games.
i remember when attila and then warhammer 1 came out there was some youtube guy who would basically do a simple look at unit balance by doing 1v1 fights between various equivalent units and even this most basic stuff would show that CA had never bothered to do this step since things would be wildly out of wack.
then theres the DeI team being the only people on earth who know how Rome 2's elephants stats work (theyr all fake and do nothing apart from mass and melee defence, which increases melee attack)

i'd be up for more devs taking a crack at it but I can't really think of any western devs who would bother. theres that game made by darthmod guy(?) but i never tried that.

which is why im kinda hoping the chinese take an interest. theres that Tiger Knight game which is sorta TW:Arena (thats another good example of CAishness there) crossed with mount and blade combat but the UI and everything thats not hitting people is incomprehensible to me. i imagine the UI will always be insane but im sure plenty of devs could make a TW of at least as good quality as CA

Popete posted:

No I never did, I may go back and give that a try at some point. I really liked loading canister into my front line cannons and cutting huge swathes into enemy formations.

definitely do this. the gunpowder line combat is very good although for my money there are plenty of issues with the campaign layer that make me less gushy about it than others. its real good though.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've also been playing since Shogun 1 and the Warhammer titles have been my favorite by far. And this is coming from someone with degrees in history.

However I love dynasty warriors and I hope romance mode + mods will make something magical.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The closest game to a TW knockoff was the King Arthur game, the first one was pretty decent but the sequel went in a different direction. Anyway so ended the only real competitor to Creative Assembly games.

It would be nice to see anyone else take up the mantle of tactical battles, if only to help Creative Assembly figure out what things to imitate.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

warhammer already has a bunch of mods translated into chinese so im hoping for some cool mods from china, since i would assume maybe unfairly that the euro historical crowd won't be as up for that as they are for classical era western stuff and bog vikings

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m kinda hoping medieval 3 never happens just cuz I’ve been hearing people crying about it for like a decade now and I am very spiteful

Plus I’ve done spearmanii battle over Europe + North Africa so drat many times. At the very least put Persia in the middle and give it a middle eastern/Indian focus with some Europeans in the northwest.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if CA will ever enter modern era. Idk how they'd pull it off, but a WW1 or WW2 game would be really interesting.

American Civil War seems like an obvious progression into more modern era.

Also WH40k would generate enough money to fund them until the end of time.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m kinda hoping medieval 3 never happens just cuz I’ve been hearing people crying about it for like a decade now and I am very spiteful

Plus I’ve done spearmanii battle over Europe + North Africa so drat many times. At the very least put Persia in the middle and give it a middle eastern/Indian focus with some Europeans in the northwest.

hell yeah

im now reading the TWC stuff to see if anyone is loooking at modding 3k and looks like people are already split between half saying "who gives a poo poo about china why would CA do this to me???" and half good spergs spergin' about historically accurate armour

someone posted this cool video about how the chinese got their "heavenly horses" via a war with greek-indian bactria and the horses were probably scythian horses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Rphg_lwwM

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well the thing that appeals to me with Medieval, is the late game where everyone is wearing plate armor and are swinging giant hammers and zweihanders around, but Warhammer kinda scratches that itch. So, yeah I'm not in a hurry for Med3.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

it is a shame that CA seems to be going with "all the chinese armies were the same because they were all chinese" though given it looks like there was actually loads of variation between the 3 kingdoms

e but i guess in general CA never tries to actually be historical

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 22, 2019

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There’s also going to be a bit of back and forth with the sandbox nature of the game. So some units that might be unique to some warlord or area or another will be thrown into the tech tree or certain events or certain commanders or whatever to expand that side of things.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

it is a shame that CA seems to be going with "all the chinese armies were the same because they were all chinese" though given it looks like there was actually loads of variation between the 3 kingdoms

e but i guess in general CA never tries to actually be historical

To be fair what we know of the history in that time period is a few scattered records and the novel, which is historical fiction and not an attempt to be definitive history of the events. You're depending upon speculation and said historical fiction to say there is a significant difference in the armies of the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Birthright The Gorgon's Alliance is kind of like Total War. I think it might have come out before the original Shogun. Pretty fun for a hybrid Empire building RTS and dungeon crawler.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Popete posted:

I wonder if CA will ever enter modern era. Idk how they'd pull it off, but a WW1 or WW2 game would be really interesting.

American Civil War seems like an obvious progression into more modern era.

Also WH40k would generate enough money to fund them until the end of time.

Very difficult to achieve since moden era warfare doesn't really fit their strategy model.

WH40k though I think is an option though, particularly around Horus Heresy time. Large scale warfare in 40k works.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Birthright The Gorgon's Alliance is kind of like Total War. I think it might have come out before the original Shogun. Pretty fun for a hybrid Empire building RTS and dungeon crawler.

It's depressing to go back to old 90s games and see these amazing concepts that never had any follow through. Total War in the style of Birthright would have been amazing. Also incredibly complicated and a nightmare to create, but amazing.

Edit:
Or even better, imagine Warhammer or Three Kingdoms with the general/leader mechanics in the style of a modern Spirit of Excalibur.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Anything post-napoleonic suffers from a big flaw with regards to working as a Total War title. The loss of blocks of soldiers.

Every total war game has had, as its root, a rectangular formation of soldiers fighting as an indivisible unit. Modern warfare tends to not feature much in the way of blocks of infantry, and I don't think the total war tactical battle system would work well for dispersed squads keeping to cover.
This problem would be present in any good 40k game too. Essentially no armies fight in regular formation in the open. They're either enormous swarms (which can work decently well) or they disperse and keep to cover.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
You could make WWI work in the Total War framework. You didn't have neat and orderly blocks of troops but most of the war was still soldiers in a literal line advancing over a trench in sections on the west fronts and effectively operating in sort of a skirmish formation on the east (when not over trenches). An individual battle could represent the overtaking of a trench or a breakthrough that allows map movement forward. Middle East wouldn't work so well though. But for the Europe battles you'd have to get fiddly with artillery and I'm not sure how you'd model the ebb and flow of trench warfare, but it's at least possible.

Edit:
I don't know if it'd be a good game, just saying it's possible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Wargame series is the only franchise to do mass scale 20th century warfare any justice.

The men of war games can do macro combat but the engine is eurojank so you trade off really cool mechanics like stealing weapons and manual vehicle control for choppy performance.

And then there's company of heroes with patented Relic entertainment Balancing that makes total war balancing look like StarCraft.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 22, 2019

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The closest game to a TW knockoff was the King Arthur game, the first one was pretty decent but the sequel went in a different direction. Anyway so ended the only real competitor to Creative Assembly games.

Man, it's a shame that CA did a Britain-focused game so recently, because the gameplay of Three Kingdoms looks like the perfect frame for a low-fantasy King Arthur: Total War.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Wargame series is the only franchise to do mass scale 20th century warfare any justice

And I keep screaming into a cardboard tube that it would make the perfect formula for a 40K RTS.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Wargame series is the only franchise to do mass scale 20th century warfare any justice.

The men of war games can do macro combat but the engine is eurojank so you trade off really cool mechanics like stealing weapons and manual vehicle control for choppy performance.

And then there's company of heroes with patented Relic entertainment Balancing that makes total war balancing look like StarCraft.

I find the Wargame series incredibly hard to get into, and it has (had now maybe?) some incredibly poor AI.

The men of war games are awesome hard as gently caress games, even with their eurojank.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

found another cheap deal:

https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/brnbii/special_rtotalwar_25_extra_discount_for_total_war/

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Man, it's a shame that CA did a Britain-focused game so recently, because the gameplay of Three Kingdoms looks like the perfect frame for a low-fantasy King Arthur: Total War.

They should have cashed in on Game of Thrones before it pissed everyone off.

The character system would be perfect for it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

Eh, it wouldn't make a good game. Replenishment rate is too high, and it's hard to hold land when armies can cross the entire map in one turn

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know what, gently caress it. CA, call up Wizards of the Coast and get the Birthright license to make a modern day rendition of Gorgon's Alliance.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Communist Bear posted:

I find the Wargame series incredibly hard to get into, and it has (had now maybe?) some incredibly poor AI.

The men of war games are awesome hard as gently caress games, even with their eurojank.

Yeah wargame had really cool mechanicd but the huge variety of poo poo in the game combined with the scale made it super hard to get into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

I discussed this elsewhere but considering that Total Warhammer was a redemption of the whole End Times debacle, a GoT Total War would likely be received the same way by fans who are also into video games.