Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

It's out of character for brienne, not Sansa. She was literally already a queens guard for Sansa, someone she had also already swarn to protect. Why would she jump ship other than so they can show her writing Jamie's part in the book?

It wouldn't be at all out of character though if Sansa said 'oi have fousands of norfmen profecting me, you will stay and profect my brofer'

But they didn't show it because the two show runners wanted to piss off, and I guess they're the only two show runners on earth, so that's just one of 1,000 scenes we may need to imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

im a haeraldrist (a person who studies heraldry professionaly) and through the examination of heraldry i can d efinitively say that bran should be king

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hmm yes as u can see the passant gardant goat argent on a fess sable bounding three brown bezant means Branken king forever.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Bran was going to be king cause it said so in the script. The same script Bran read so he knew he had to go down to kings landing to be made king. He even comments about it in the episode. This isn't complicated.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Hmm yes as u can see the passant gardant goat argent on a fess sable bounding three brown bezant means Branken king forever.

no ring, 3/10

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

It wouldn't be at all out of character though if Sansa said 'oi have fousands of norfmen profecting me, you will stay and profect my brofer'

But they didn't show it because the two show runners wanted to piss off, and I guess they're the only two show runners on earth, so that's just one of 1,000 scenes we may need to imagine

Yeah that's what I'm saying, the show runners just decided they wanted to do a callback about the Knight book and made it happen even though there's no reason for brienne to leave Sansa's service.

Honestly it'd be pretty baller if the first female Knight was also the founder of the Norths kingsguard but whatever gently caress it she still likes Jamie for some reason

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
He made her nut

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Typo posted:

There's lots of instances in history where you have two competing separate claims on the same country sometimes even through different thrones

in 19th century france for example you had the Bonapartists who had a claim on the Throne of French EMPIRE, and the Orleanists and the legitimists both had a claim on the KINGDOM of France

in GoT's case Gendry is so obviously clear cut the legitimate heir once dany dies and Jon goes back to his home planet, he's closest relation to Deanerys of note and also legitimized heir of the Baratheon claim. He can legitimate say that both Robert and Dany were monarchs and he's just the heir to both of them.

Yeah, I have no clue why Gendry's lineage hasn't been more important ever since he surfaced again in season 7, but no one ever brings it up for some reason except that one-off scene where Dany legitimizes him. Gendry, Jon, and other nobles fighting over the throne after Dany's death, along with the general fallout and massive shifts of the realm after a war, could have been an entire season in of itself. But nope, that's too compelling and we gotta turn this poo poo into boring CG action set pieces for idiots.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Maybe the point of having multiple contenders is so you don’t know who’s gonna win the dumb show

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ethanol posted:

Maybe the point of having multiple contenders is so you don’t know who’s gonna win the dumb show

Unnecessary if you're just gonna make it up as you go and/or intentionally subvert reddit's predictions regardless of what you've set up.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Why does Bran have a claim on the iron throne

:jerry: eh! He tells a good story! :jerry:

In our world, this makes Stephen Spielberg the most fit to be president

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Poor nuncle, thought of neeps and died

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Just replace the entire show with this video, followed by the pic of Khal Drogo slamming Dany, but the faces are swapped.

E: this one

https://imgur.com/GRpYv9p

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 22, 2019

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yeah, I have no clue why Gendry's lineage hasn't been more important ever since he surfaced again in season 7, but no one ever brings it up for some reason except that one-off scene where Dany legitimizes him. Gendry, Jon, and other nobles fighting over the throne after Dany's death, along with the general fallout and massive shifts of the realm after a war, could have been an entire season in of itself. But nope, that's too compelling and we gotta turn this poo poo into boring CG action set pieces for idiots.

If you recongnize the legitimacy of Danaerys' claim, the Baratheons claim is illegitimate. Gendry has no legitimate claim to the throne in that case and is not a part of the line of succession, except maybe where the Baratheons would have come down prior to Robert's Rebellion.

If Jon's claim is invalidated by his queenslaying then the line of succession would go back to the most recent branch of the Targaryen family tree that is still extant. That could be an intermarriage with the Starks, we aren't sure. But in any case, I doubt the Lords of Westeros would feel beholden to anyone unless they were very powerful. Bran's claim is probably that he is the eldest living son of the most powerful house in Westeros.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

sweet geek swag posted:

If you recongnize the legitimacy of Danaerys' claim, the Baratheons claim is illegitimate. Gendry has no legitimate claim to the throne in that case and is not a part of the line of succession, except maybe where the Baratheons would have come down prior to Robert's Rebellion.

If Jon's claim is invalidated by his queenslaying then the line of succession would go back to the most recent branch of the Targaryen family tree that is still extant. That could be an intermarriage with the Starks, we aren't sure. But in any case, I doubt the Lords of Westeros would feel beholden to anyone unless they were very powerful. Bran's claim is probably that he is the eldest living son of the most powerful house in Westeros.

Gendry is the closest surviving Targaryen blooded person after Jon Snow

As in if you trace the Targaryen line of succession: Gendry is on there now he's legitimaized

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

superjew posted:

Another thing I thought might matter, when they showed the spiral of body parts and then showed the top down shot of the NK being made I said "oh, the spiral is opposite handed now, there's a clue there" and no, DnD probably just saw a mirrored shot and copied it without checking because they are too busy reading reddit.

lol they probably caught up on the previous seasons with youtube "best of's" that flip scenes to avoid copyright detection

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
anyway less line of succession and more bad pussy plz

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

How about some miner dick

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ethanol posted:

As long as that's how you're spelling it, sure.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

sweet geek swag posted:

Gendry is Dany's only living relative besides Jon and is literally the only surviving member of the "most recent branch" of the Targaryen family tree in existence. Bran has as much claim to the throne as Tyrion or the unnamed prince of Dorne, meaning none at all except for armies to enforce his rule.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

show is over, lock thread.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

ethanol posted:

You want the good reactor, but you need the radioactive dick.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Typo posted:

As in if you trace the Targaryen line of succession: Gendry is on there now he's legitimaized

Right, the Baratheons are the cadet line for the Targaryens, which is a big part of why Robert (Well, Stannis really, but that's another thing) was the person around whom a rebellion could happen.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Typo posted:

Typo posted:

anyway less line of succession and more bad pussy plz
Bad pussy was only a character because her aunt was crown princess of the Targaryens, so the Martells have a claim to the throne there.

Tyrion is a surviving Lannister, and if he says Cersei was usurped and Dany was illegitimate, he has a claim. Lysa Arryn was married to Jon, who was adoptive father to Ned and Robert... you could say Robyn has a claim in Robert's lineage. Ned was legitimately named Regent by Robert, and his sister was married to the heir. All of his kids have a claim. Basically everyone at the final meeting can squint their eyes and make a claim if the cherry pick which ruler they're related to. It comes down to backing your claim with a carrot or a stick like Dany did and Jon didn't.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
A bunch of dothraki with flaming swords charge into a dark cave. We see their fires go out and moments later a horde of naked, coal-stained miners come charging out wielding pickaxes and shovels.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Infinite Karma posted:

Bad pussy was only a character because her aunt was crown princess of the Targaryens, so the Martells have a claim to the throne there.
The Targaryen claim comes from the Targaryen family: elia herself have no claim because she has no Targaryen blood. Her kids did though.

quote:

Tyrion is a surviving Lannister, and if he says Cersei was usurped and Dany was illegitimate, he has a claim. Lysa Arryn was married to Jon, who was adoptive father to Ned and Robert... you could say Robyn has a claim in Robert's lineage. Ned was legitimately named Regent by Robert, and his sister was married to the heir. All of his kids have a claim. Basically everyone at the final meeting can squint their eyes and make a claim if the cherry pick which ruler they're related to.

This isn't how it works

quote:

It comes down to backing your claim with a carrot or a stick like Dany did and Jon didn't.
You out of all people should realize that systems of government have ideological justifications for whoever is in power: you can argue it's just a shadow on the wall, but the shadow on the wall matters

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Thread has become Game Mechanics of Thrones.

How is claim formed?

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

etalian posted:

show is over, lock thread.

i think that would be for the best

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Moreover if Gendry's a de-legitimized son again (because Dany's rule is invalidated)....

...then why is he invited to the tiny meeting of all the most important nobles and lords in the world to decide the fate of the kingdom, as if they think he's obviously the head of a great house

Either he's legit or he's not

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kak posted:

i think that would be for the best

Also gas any new Game of Throne subject threads.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Moreover if Gendry's a de-legitimized son again (because Dany's rule is invalidated)....

...then why is he invited to the tiny meeting of all the most important nobles and lords in the world to decide the fate of the kingdom, as if they think he was obviously the head of a great house

well it's being like 3 weeks at least so maybe in the mean time he's convinced enough of robert's storm lords to accept him as the lord of the stormlands

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Show has a scene which makes it very unambiguous that they are choosing a king by way of an elector system instead of succession based*

*Goons argue about who should have been king based on succession claim*

Me: not sure if they're just arguing an irrelevant point for no reason, or if Season 8 of D&D's masterpiece show was just too intricate and complex for these Medieval Succession Law experts to follow.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redgubbinz posted:

Just replace the entire show with this video, followed by the pic of Khal Drogo slamming Dany, but the faces are swapped.

E: this one

https://imgur.com/GRpYv9p

The Hound and Arya's adventures in the hosed over Riverlands was one of the best parts of the series.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Cersei's claim, after Tommen died, is pretty much nonexistent, based strictly on force. So there's a case that she represents another dynastic shift, and if so Tyrion gets a claim to that line, so I guess it makes sense that he got the chance to turn it down.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Typo posted:

You out of all people should realize that systems of government have ideological justifications for whoever is in power: you can argue it's just a shadow on the wall, but the shadow on the wall matters
The basis in the show has always been "might makes right", with a few layers of loose rules/guidelines to let bureaucracy and tradition take over when it's in the interest of the ones with might. But "I'm the King and we're playing Calvinball when I say so" is the rule that trumps everything else.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Whimper is coming

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Infinite Karma posted:

The basis in the show has always been "might makes right", with a few layers of loose rules/guidelines to let bureaucracy and tradition take over when it's in the interest of the ones with might. But "I'm the King and we're playing Calvinball when I say so" is the rule that trumps everything else.

Except at the end of GoT tv show, no one house holds enough "might" to make "right" and impose the candidate of their choice on the throne, certainly not the Starks

ofc politics is easy when you control all the guns and just impose your will, but the attractive aspects of the show is exactly how to navigate feudal politics when you don't, in which case things like legitimacy and ideology start mattering a lot

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

sweet thursday posted:

Whimper is coming

Stick em with the dissappointy end

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Thranguy posted:

Right, the Baratheons are the cadet line for the Targaryens, which is a big part of why Robert (Well, Stannis really, but that's another thing) was the person around whom a rebellion could happen.

They aren't a cadet branch. They're descendants of one of Aegon's closest companions and the only daughter of the last Storm King. Later on they became related to the Targaryens through marriage (I think some Targaryen lady is Robert's grandmother).

Robert was the only one of the rebels with anything resembling a legal claim to the throne, hence why they made him the king when they actually ended up winning, but the rebellion happening had pretty much nothing to do with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Robert says at some point he wished they would have made ned king. And he wasnt being flippant

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 22, 2019