Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Threshold makes a lot more sense if you add 30 seconds to the start where they drop some alien mushrooms.

Star Trek V too.

Bones put more than just bourbon in those beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I said come in! posted:

I know people like to poo poo on public schools in the south, but history education is terrible all over the country. I went to high school in Washington state, and our history classes taught such amazing facts as "Native Americans sold their land legitimately to the United States, there was never any genocide." and "the Civil War was not about slavery."

Going to guess east side of the mountains? I also went to school in WA and the history classes were actually quite good, though it helped that my senior year history teacher had a doctorate and knew his poo poo.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

History coverage differed wildly between teachers in my grade, much less between schools or even school districts. My senior year history teacher didn’t touch on Western history at all and focused on Asian/African/South American studies, but whoever randomly got teacher #2 got stuffed full of European history and the folks with teacher #3 got US only. It all came from the same textbook but no one had time to cover it all so teachers got to pick their chapters.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sash! posted:

There was a point that I could have told you more about the Haudenosaunee than the entirety of the Crusades.

Public school history was so focused on native cultures it turned me off the subject entirely out of can we please do something new boredom and I've only recently developed an interest again. I still don't give a poo poo about anything north of Mexico though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Minidust posted:

Threshold is another case of Star Trek doing the thing where impossible galactic feats can be figured out by a couple of main characters with spare time on their hands. See also Star Trek V, where the :siren:Great Barrier:siren: is breached by a skeleton Enterprise crew just kind of flying through it.

IIRC there was a cut scene where Sybok monkeys with the shields to get through

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sash! posted:

The Bismarck sailed and sank before the September 11, 1941 shoot on sight order, so that ship was never elevated to "enemy" status. More of a ship of interest.

The British made kind of a big deal out of it though. There was a movie about it and everything.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Is...is the "T'Pol has HIV for Vulcans" episode amy good?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Astroman posted:

"We have to build the engines on a separate section, away from the primary hull, for radiation safety"'

*puts them on pylons so they are on the same level as the primary hull, but just a few feet back*

:downs:

It's so you can brick someone's corpse up in there so they won't be found until season 7. Turbolift designation is Subspace Field Generator Complex and Suicide Booth.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Well-intended, but limp. In retrospect, it was a bit daft of them to do an episode that is so on-the-nose about homophobia at a time when they still couldn’t actually be bothered to put anyone gay in the show. Blalock’s performance is pretty good though.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Nope.

Watch it anyway.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

That's also the episode with the Phlox swinger b-plot, so at least there's that.

Early ENT was pretty much the TNG Season 8 twitter account years before twitter happened. "It's a race against time as repeated attacks by an unknown ship prompt rush-build weapons development! Hoshi bakes a pineapple cake!" "A vacationing Archer uncovers a spy on Risa! Trip and Malcolm get catfished!"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The A and B plots in that episode actually seem like they should be relevant to each other, unlike most Enterprise plots, but they aren’t at all

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/1130972936498700288

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I hope he hires a better photographer than that one!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kibayasu posted:

I hope he hires a better photographer than that one!

That was the second of two shots.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Astroman posted:

"We have to build the engines on a separate section, away from the primary hull, for radiation safety"'

*puts them on pylons so they are on the same level as the primary hull, but just a few feet back*

:downs:

They must've figured out a fix, or the Defiant's crew is going to have warp cancer when they get older.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Minidust posted:

Threshold is another case of Star Trek doing the thing where impossible galactic feats can be figured out by a couple of main characters with spare time on their hands. See also Star Trek V, where the :siren:Great Barrier:siren: is breached by a skeleton Enterprise crew just kind of flying through it.

They didn't seem to have that much trouble passing through the galactic barrier in that episode where they get hijacked by those aliens from the Andromeda Galaxy who turned the crew into dodecahedrons.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Wow Chrysalis is a bad episode

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Right after Take Me Out to the Holosuite too, which is a treasure

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

womb with a view posted:

Wow Chrysalis is a bad episode

"Hey, girl who has never interacted socially with people before, would you like to go on a date with me, your savior who gave you this new opportunity and who you will continue to rely upon for follow-up care?"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The idea of the episode was fine and then yeah... yikes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Chrysalis. That's a stupid episode.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The idea sucked too, everything to do with the augments is terrible and Siddig phones it in. B5’s “Chrysalis” was a much better “Chrysalis”. the mid oughts French cyberpunk flick too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In the TNG episode All Good Things, how many cats did Data have?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Iirc siddig was pretty sick of the show having no idea what the thread of his character was at that point.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Specifically, Siddig deliberately flopped takes for whenever they gave him “the odds are 420691488 to 1, I am a genius huehuehuehue” type lines because he thought they were stupid

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The whole genetic engineering arc for Bashir was dumb, and one of the biggest mistakes DS9 writers made (the other is milking the Mirror Universe story lines until they were wringing blood from a stone). The way it was rolled out in the sixth season was dumb too, forcing Siddig to recite dry statistics to people like he was Data. I don't blame him for resenting that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

skasion posted:

Specifically, Siddig deliberately flopped takes for whenever they gave him “the odds are 420691488 to 1, I am a genius huehuehuehue” type lines because he thought they were stupid

Source? I'd enjoy reading about this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The way it was rolled out in the sixth season was dumb too, forcing Siddig to recite dry statistics to people like he was Data. I don't blame him for resenting that.

These are the absolute worst part of all those Defiant battle scenes. I’d say it’s even worse than Data, it comes off like he’s a literal calculator just standing behind Sisko.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So Bashir was actually being, on purpose, a loving creep to Jadzia. He's so smart, after all, and as we know with darts and his medical board exams, he played himself as a shittier, dumber person so nobody would catch on.

If he had truly bent his augmented will to it, he could have slept with literally everyone, no matter their orientation. Jadzia, Kira, Keiko, Sisko, Quark, Dax, Odo, maybe even the Prophets because why not?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If he had truly bent his augmented will to it, he could have slept with literally everyone, no matter their orientation. Jadzia, Kira, Keiko, Sisko, Quark, Dax, Odo, maybe even the Prophets because why not?

How the hell could you forget Morn and Leeta

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So Bashir was actually being, on purpose, a loving creep to Jadzia. He's so smart, after all, and as we know with darts and his medical board exams, he played himself as a shittier, dumber person so nobody would catch on.
I think that was him just being a young dumb idiot when it came to dealing with women

I may be in the minority because I think the augmentation thing is fine. The two episodes with the 'augment failures' or whatever you want to call them are not great though.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cat Hatter posted:

"Hey, girl who has never interacted socially with people before, would you like to go on a date with me, your savior who gave you this new opportunity and who you will continue to rely upon for follow-up care?"

I really liked that episode

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Because those are heavily implied to have actually occurred, so it's no fun for me to joke about it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
can't overemphasize that literally every single member of the senior staff hosed morn . sisko even gave him that bullfighter painting as a "thank you" for remembering the balls

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

THAT'S A STUPID QUESTION

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I like it. It's decent for what it is: an episode of TV intended for the 80's.

I also think all the Vulcan arcs in general were Enterprise's best mythology. That might be a minority opinion though.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 23, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"Return to Grace" is an episode I'd forgotten about, but it's pretty dope. Kira-Dukat team up for a revenge plot, Kira has a detailed breakdown of the pros and cons of the types of phaser rifle, and she clowns on Dukat's daughter rather than letting the kid show her the cool karate move she learned.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I also think all the Vulcan arcs in general were Enterprise's best mythology. That might be a minority opinion though.

Second to the Andorian episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I want to know why nobody detected Bashir's augmentation earlier. Like, after he was captured by the Dominion, didn't anyone do a deep scan of him when he got back to make sure he was the real Bashir and the Dominion hadn't done anything to him?