Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Its Rinaldo posted:

With my brothers and sisters in TFF

:yeah:

Hot Diggity! posted:

Twitter allows you to tell richer and more famous people to Shut Da gently caress Up so it's good actually

Would rather do it in person TBH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Is it weird how foreign the thought of making 6 figures sounds? Maybe it is just me from where I came from, I am on a track to try and get to that point but it's just wild to sit and think about in that regard.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

C-Euro posted:

:yeah:

Would rather do it in person TBH

Same but the odds of being able to do so are low but I know that Peggy Noonan has seen me tell her to shut da gently caress up

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SundayMoney posted:

Is it weird how foreign the thought of making 6 figures sounds? Maybe it is just me from where I came from, I am on a track to try and get to that point but it's just wild to sit and think about in that regard.

Don’t let Instagram fool you it’s still a lot of work to get there, consistently. There are some jobs like sales you can kill a few years but the consistent 6 figure is still something to strive for within reach and expect to take a fair amount of effort ya know.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

SundayMoney posted:

Work your rear end of in the right industry and you can get there. Def feels surreal the first time you hit it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My morning started off with finding out there's a leak in my kitchen sink. Cleaning that poo poo up was about as fun as you'd think, especially with my flight to DC later this afternoon. I go to check in online & realized my departure time was actually around noon because I misread my return flight time as my initial departure time. Now I wait on hold until I can fix this gently caress-up.

I'm starting to worry my brain is slipping, as this isn't the first time I've missed appointments due to mixing up dates/times. My mom had a brain condition that eventually claimed her life & it's looking like her sister may have Alzheimer's. I'm worried that my life will be like Detective Hayes in True Detective (without the tragic marriage & exciting police career).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Hot Diggity! posted:

Twitter allows you to tell richer and more famous people to Shut Da gently caress Up so it's good actually

Whenever a high profile right wing ding dong blocks me I grow more powerful

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

SundayMoney posted:

I'm probably never going to get anywhere close to making that lol*

*:smith:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Amy Pole Her posted:

Don’t let Instagram fool you it’s still a lot of work to get there, consistently. There are some jobs like sales you can kill a few years but the consistent 6 figure is still something to strive for within reach and expect to take a fair amount of effort ya know.

My wife is just under 100k but has basically killed herself to get there. PhD, a couple years of postdoc+career development extracurriculars, then a job for 10k less than she currently makes that had her on call basically 24/7. She likes her current job but also wants me to get a better job than what I have right now so she can quit and do her start-up full time :sad:

I don't know what I'd do with 100k/year. I don't even know what I'd do with an extra 10k/year lol. Living off of 20k/year in grad school really hosed me in regards to spending money outside of the essentials.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 22, 2019

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Well I don't look at Instagram but I know what you mean. I put in a lot of time and effort at my previous job and went from $9 an hour to making 50k a year and then moved on to a different company in the same industry for a good raise and a new title. But being from a small town in Northeast Louisiana it has been a lot to get to that point and not working construction or any oil based job.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Neil Armbong posted:

Work your rear end of in the right industry and you can get there. Def feels surreal the first time you hit it.

I actually moved almost 1000 miles for a step up and possible huge money potential down the road so working hard has been what I've had to do since I started 8 years ago in this industry.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

SundayMoney posted:

Well I don't look at Instagram but I know what you mean. I put in a lot of time and effort at my previous job and went from $9 an hour to making 50k a year and then moved on to a different company in the same industry for a good raise and a new title. But being from a small town in Northeast Louisiana it has been a lot to get to that point and not working construction or any oil based job.

My dad's side of the family is from Shreveport :unsmith:

Also, that's a hell of an accomplishment. I'm glad for you, goon brother

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

SundayMoney posted:

Why wouldn't you

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Blitz7x posted:

Why wouldn't you

It’s not everyone’s cup of tea despite how well paying they can be

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

Why wouldn't you

Nothing against it, I just like helping people and dealing with people (most of the time). So I've always gravitated towards customer service oriented jobs but also sometimes jobs that paid better than minimum wage while trying to figure out how being an adult works. It's why I can say I was a zookeeper then a cable technician once upon a time.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

SundayMoney posted:

I actually moved almost 1000 miles for a step up and possible huge money potential down the road so working hard has been what I've had to do since I started 8 years ago in this industry.

Nice, man. I work in a field totally unrelated to my degree and my first post-college job was a $10 an hour 1099 gig before moving over to a salaried position with benefits a year later.

Have hustled for the last decade and now make $100k more than my first salary, so it's possible. Keep up the good work, dude.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

C-Euro posted:

I don't know what I'd do with 100k/year. I don't even know what I'd do with an extra 10k/year lol. Living off of 20k/year in grad school really hosed me in regards to spending money outside of the essentials.

You’d be surprised how your standard of living starts increasing as your salary goes up. I worked during college to pay my rent and expenses and had almost no money. Over the years since then I’ve made a pretty nice career for myself and even though I’m saving quite a lot, it’s still astounding how I’ve let my expenses go up. 20 year old me would think I was insane.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

My dad's side of the family is from Shreveport :unsmith:

Also, that's a hell of an accomplishment. I'm glad for you, goon brother

Shreveport is about 2 1/2 hours from where I used to live. If you wanted to go to a "big" city, that was the closest.

I don't normally post too much but follow every day. I am trying to post more since this is my favorite online community. I appreciate the kind words as well, I am just trying to secure myself and my son so that he can grow up better than I did.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Neil Armbong posted:

Nice, man. I work in a field totally unrelated to my degree and my first post-college job was a $10 an hour 1099 gig before moving over to a salaried position with benefits a year later.

Have hustled for the last decade and now make $100k more than my first salary, so it's possible. Keep up the good work, dude.

Thanks for the words of encouragement as it is something I do want to be able to see in the next few years.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been working for silicon valley software companies for nearly 20 years now and I still haven't broken through the $100k barrier, although I'm close and I expect to with my next raise/promotion, this year.

This is because I'm an idiot moron who thought math was too hard and went into technical writing instead of programming. Although honestly I think I'd have made a piss-poor developer anyway.

Anyway have heart, in 30 years a median household income will still put you into the $100k picture:

inflation is cool

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I don't make all that much but it's still quite a bit more than I need, honestly. This year I'm taking like 7 mini vacations and two big vacations and I do NOT make 100k working in the nonprofit field. I never really have to think about whether I can afford something, I just buy it. At the same time I don't buy things I don't need, and I live relatively frugally. Don't fall into the capitalist trap of finding things to spend your money on just because you have that money.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Blitz7x posted:

Why wouldn't you

I have carpenters that do nothing but prevailing rate jobs (which is often higher than journeyman rate), and they crush 6 figures every year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Ehud posted:

lot of people ITT trapped in their middle class defeatist prisons

I'm trying, Jennifer

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

Although honestly I think I'd have made a piss-poor developer anyway.

From knowing your personality a little I think you'd have been murder on finding bugs.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao my gourd has no chill

https://twitter.com/FizFashizzle/status/1131317261648703488

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Apparently M&Ms makes Crispy Mint M&Ms now, so I guess they can shut down since I don't see how they can do any better.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
my man what is up with your proportions

https://twitter.com/IWWSouSouGenEdU/status/1130906247408934912

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

From knowing your personality a little I think you'd have been murder on finding bugs.

QA engineers get paid similarly to technical writers, and also similarly are one of those cost centers that narrow-minded execs like to cut first when it's time to bolster share prices by improving the already obscenely large margins cut costs because times are tough.

But yes I am good at finding bugs, and do so incidentally to my job, since I am often validating documentation against a running instance of the product.

I don't think I'd make a good software engineer because everything is scrum these days, and the few times I've had to participate in scrum, it's made me want to murder everyone involved and then kill myself. Especially as a chronic procrastinator, meeting every single day and having to show incremental progress on a near-hourly basis just does not work for me. I always get my job done, usually better than my peers, but I do so by putting things off as long as I can get away with and then putting my head down and jamming for a few hours. You just cannot do that in a scrum environment.

Also, while the stereotypes about software engineers are of course exaggerations... there's still definitely more concentrated libertarian garbage in that arena than in my own. Most technical writers I've known are a bit nerdy but generally sociable people; our jobs require a lot of people skills.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I mean that sign. Did he forget how to spell white and then remember at the last second that it was a W instead of a V?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

waah posted:

I mean that sign. Did he forget how to spell white and then remember at the last second that it was a W instead of a V?

People good at graphic design tend not to be fascists.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

He looks like Cotton Hill.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

White supremacy sign...with a black hand doing the OK sign :thunk:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

yeah im quaking in my boots already

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Made a steak for dinner. Served with steamed broccoli and wild rice. Now I’m drinking a heavy pour of Lagavulin. Life is good.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
But really does that guy not have a torso?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Made a steak for dinner. Served with steamed broccoli and wild rice. Now I’m drinking a heavy pour of Lagavulin. Life is good.

If you wanna kick that broccoli up a bit I highly recommend roasting it

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Spoeank posted:

If you wanna kick that broccoli up a bit I highly recommend roasting it

Yeah that definitely would have been better.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think I'd make a good software engineer because everything is scrum these days, and the few times I've had to participate in scrum, it's made me want to murder everyone involved and then kill myself. Especially as a chronic procrastinator, meeting every single day and having to show incremental progress on a near-hourly basis just does not work for me. I always get my job done, usually better than my peers, but I do so by putting things off as long as I can get away with and then putting my head down and jamming for a few hours. You just cannot do that in a scrum environment.

Uh, this isn't scrum at all. Hourly progress updates sounds like hell and the kind of poo poo a digital agency would do.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 23, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

But really does that guy not have a torso?

You know the top of the sign isn't necessarily his waistline, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
So my wife is getting prepped for a C-section. Not emergency, baby's at term and all, will be a few hours before they actually do it so we're just sitting and waiting.

Holy gently caress I'm but ready for #2.