Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I haven't been following Batman, do you guys think there's any truth behind this? https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05/22/tom-king-taken-off-batman-last-issue-will-be-85/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

fadam posted:

I haven't been following Batman, do you guys think there's any truth behind this? https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05/22/tom-king-taken-off-batman-last-issue-will-be-85/

That’d be absolutely insane given he JUST did that Hollywood Reporter interview, which if his comments weren’t approved by WB/DC would be even wilder.

(I’ve actually liked his Batman run, but I’ve been reading it in trade form.)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

blast0rama posted:

That’d be absolutely insane given he JUST did that Hollywood Reporter interview, which if his comments weren’t approved by WB/DC would be even wilder.

(I’ve actually liked his Batman run, but I’ve been reading it in trade form.)

The rumor is that the decision was made this past weekend, which would have been after that interview was conducted and published.

Seems crazy, and I'd of course take it with a huge grain of salt, but it wouldn't be unprecedented for DC to get cold feet about a previously approved storyline.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

It's the top selling comic each month. Why would they do this?

I know it gets poo poo on a lot here by the more vocal posters, but I've enjoyed all of King's Batman run.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

frameset posted:

I know it gets poo poo on a lot here by the more vocal posters, but I've enjoyed all of King's Batman run.

if the rumor is true, my guess would be that it has to do with DC (and WB?) reversing their approval of whatever the huge plot development King was hyping up in that THR interview was

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I can believe it. Someone up top probably wanted him to change the ending after this far into the story, and things just broke down from there.

If it’s true, you can see why Hickman went back to Marvel. He probably wanted assurances that DC wasn’t willing to give. DC won’t even change that ugly rear end Batman logo, of course they’d get cold feet about fundamentally changing the character.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If it’s true it’s hilarious. Perfect ending to a run that did nothing but disappoint me whenever I paid attention to it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Not a confirmation, but not exactly a denial. Getting a feeling that Rich is legit on this one.

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1131214891451338759

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man now I really want to know what his planned ending was.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Batman beats Bane and marries Catwoman, probably.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Batman beats Catwoman and marries Bane, probably.

Now this I would buy.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Is this the same story that Tom King said he had to go to the higher up at Warnerbros and like phone companies that put out Batman licensed games to really shake up Batman's status quo?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yeah. It was a planned hundred issue mega story that’s ending after eighty. Just cutting it off at the beginning of the third act.

We’ll never see Kite Man become the head of Gotham’s organized crime. Hell no.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The link was scrubbed what did it say?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Jiro posted:

The link was scrubbed what did it say?

Tom King was told this weekend at MegaCon in Orlando that his run on Batman was being scrapped as of issue 85, 15 issues ahead of his planned 100 issue run.

It being pulled is interesting...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bleeding Cool posted a rumor/bullshiit story without any proof or confirmation?

pull the other one

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

frameset posted:

I've actually liked it too for the most part. Aside from the wedding fake out that literally everybody saw coming that still pisses me off.

I think a whole lot of the ill will towards his Batman is just the hatred overflowing (rightfully so) from Heroes In Crisis.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

blast0rama posted:

Tom King was told this weekend at MegaCon in Orlando that his run on Batman was being scrapped as of issue 85, 15 issues ahead of his planned 100 issue run.

It being pulled is interesting...

Finally, Flashpoint Thomas Wayne found a full proof way for his son to stop being Batman. Ingenious

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The timing just seems weird to me. Even if it was going to suck rear end, surely it's less expensive and less bad PR to just let the final 15 issues play out then clean house after.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Let him finish. Or pull him. I don't know which would be funnier or result in better comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The article wasn't pulled though, I can see it fine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

Let him finish. Or pull him. I don't know which would be funnier or result in better comics.

Pull him and force him to write Red Hood instead.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe the book is 'canceled' and suddenly we get one of his patented Vision/MM type maxi-series about Batman instead, and it was all some weird PR game.
I buy it!

e: Tweets from one of his main collaborators
https://twitter.com/MitchGerads/status/1131256531129839616
https://twitter.com/MitchGerads/status/1131216502579900416

Maybe Snyder's JL thing is gonna make everyone relaunch and move their books to an alternate universe for six months, or something.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 22, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pull him and force him to write Red Hood instead.

MODS

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't like King but even I wouldn't force him to write Red Hood.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DT has clearly hacked Happy Noodle Boy's account.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

X-O posted:

I don't like King but even I wouldn't force him to write Red Hood.
Hey, it could be worse.

Someone could force him to read Red Hood.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

DT has clearly hacked Happy Noodle Boy's account.

Let me tell you about giant anime crowbars

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Let me tell you about giant anime crowbars

MODZ

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Edit: dang double post

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I dunno how *~unpopular~* this will be but if King really did propose something ridiculously controversial and out-of-character for Batman -- or for any other character -- then I'm glad someone up high actually did their job and told him "no" in clear certain terms. They should've done so plenty of times before, and not just for King.

...If this really happened of course.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

CBR is also reporting that King is leaving Batman at the end of the year:

https://www.cbr.com/tom-king-leaving-batman/

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Given that CBR is PR-spin city, I assume this is true.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

We Vertigo now. It there's at least one thing Dial H has going for it in this run, it's that it's super into running headlong into different artsyles reflecting the hero summoned. The last issue was straight from Manga. This one is from the 80s.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dial H is good all over.

CBR's article seems about as confirmed as BC's. They're still just talking to sources (probably the same ones) and posting tweets.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 22, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

I dunno how *~unpopular~* this will be but if King really did propose something ridiculously controversial and out-of-character for Batman -- or for any other character -- then I'm glad someone up high actually did their job and told him "no" in clear certain terms. They should've done so plenty of times before, and not just for King.

...If this really happened of course.

King just mentioned the other day he got permission to make this major change. Why would you immediately jump to assume that him leaving the title means they went back on it when it just as easily could mean the opposite?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

His most controversial thing was that he didn't fundamentally change the status quo of Batman.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Why did they cut him short if not to cancel that thing whatever it was?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nevvy Z posted:

Why did they cut him short if not to cancel that thing whatever it was?

I was trying to imagine, for example, a bigger name who would want Batman they'd throw him under the bus for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
If the extension meant his big finish wouldn't land on 100, maybe someone has a different 100 plan and King will move his finish to another book, like Morrison jumping from the main book to Batman and Robin. (Batman and Catwoman?)