Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
New title: Gee Dunk 4 Life
Snipe bitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Is Geedunk PO some sort of weird floating target term?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Geedunk = junkfood

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Mr. Nice! posted:

Geedunk = junkfood

The Bang must flow!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

The Bang must flow!

Don't joke. Our logistics people somehow did an emergency resupply of energy drinks and energy drinks only when we ran out off Thailand somewhere.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jimmy4400nav posted:

The Bang must flow!

How does this compare to ripits

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
On my first ship the Supply Officers had a rule: The soda vending machine could go unstocked for a day before people really complained.

The energy drink vending machine? You had about four hours before people broke down the doors to get at it. That thing was always well stocked and never ran out. We had to constantly remind people that you had to drink water too because caffeine is a diuretic and dehydrates you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

shovelbum posted:

How does this compare to ripits

Bangs are hot trash compared to Rockstars

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
They found a student smoking crack in the bathroom at the barracks.

Also apparently NSF was doing a "Felony Traffic Stop" training event with real weapons instead of blue training weapons and had a :woop: :siren: NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE :siren: :woop: so who's got one thumb and is yesterday's news? This guy! *shoots off thumb while disassembling weapon*

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
:stare:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

How in the gently caress do you wind up with your thumb in front of the barrel, like what possible handling configuration could cause you to blow off your own thumb

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Revolver by the cylinder gap and barrel, or a really small belly gun

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ya know what there were safety posters about using .50 rounds for hammers, so however the dude in nsf pulled it off it was inventive.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

How in the gently caress do you wind up with your thumb in front of the barrel, like what possible handling configuration could cause you to blow off your own thumb

Fumble gun grab it with both hands and manage to snag the trigger with thumb over barrel.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
To clarify, I was putting a topical spin on the classic "two thumbs/this guy" bit. I only heard about an ND during a (possibly unauthorized?) training event. If there were injuries, I haven't heard about it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Speaking of injuries I’m having horrible allergies in DC this year.

My nose hurts.

Though the chief asked me if I was interested in coming back for the last two fiscal months to assist on some legacy projects. I like money.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LingcodKilla posted:

Speaking of injuries I’m having horrible allergies in DC this year.

My nose hurts.

Though the chief asked me if I was interested in coming back for the last two fiscal months to assist on some legacy projects. I like money.

The tree pollen situation here is horrible right now. Like, it makes no sense to wash one's car because it's hosed by the next morning anyway.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

gently caress your education btw. Lol @ anyone who reenlisted recently.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
:chiefsay: Sailors need to study for quals. Besides who needs a degree when you can stay in the navy for 20, then get a sweet DoD job thanks to nepotism?

I saw a soon to be retired chief bitching about a DoD job requiring an engineering degree (for a legitimate ND engineering position) because his 22 years at sea must not have counted for anything and degrees were worthless.

Like who are these loving idiots pretending 20 years in the Navy makes you equivalent to a civil engineer?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Well by equal measure spending 4 or 6 years at a university does not an engineer make. The piece of paper maybe covers the 10% of things you wouldn’t have learned from the job anyway and that’s maybe 1% of the content they have you to learn to earn it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

Well by equal measure spending 4 or 6 years at a university does not an engineer make. The piece of paper maybe covers the 10% of things you wouldn’t have learned from the job anyway and that’s maybe 1% of the content they have you to learn to earn it.

Triggered facebook chiefs SA account spotted.

Id be willing to bet theres not a single job in the navy that prepares an enlisted Sailor to be a structural engineer.

I work with structural engineers daily, and I work with retired chiefs daily. One group is much smarter than the other.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Advancement quotas dropped by a good bit, as well. Retention issues must be a by product of lack of discipline and professionalism.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Advancement quotas dropped by a good bit, as well. Retention issues must be a by product of lack of discipline and professionalism.

Ooooh can’t wait to see what the IT1 reserves quota is.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Ooooh can’t wait to see what the IT1 reserves quota is.

I would make a joke about you being in for about the length of a cup of coffee but all IWC rates are that way

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Been in the Navy since breakfast :chiefsay:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Choose your rate choose your fate :chiefsay:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Geedunk4lyfcrew :chiefsay:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Run the deckplates :chiefsay:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
:chiefsay:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Like I'm really proud and happy when a sailor makes chief but if that's the pinnacle of your life, whoah boy. Can you imagine a Capt putting on a sticker and wearing a shirt and getting a tattoo? Or a Lcdr? Or whatever?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

I would make a joke about you being in for about the length of a cup of coffee but all IWC rates are that way

Lol I got one service strip and 20 months of active service.

I’ve been laughed at by teenage girls and the Vice President alike. I’ve been hosed out of thousands of dollars and made thousands of dollars on dubious orders.

But I’ve still never cleaned a head.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

M_Gargantua posted:

There's a difference between doing something because you've done it that way for the last ten years, and knowing the science behind why you are doing something. One allows for both a greater breadth and depth of further understanding, the other leads to large numbers of mistakes or stagnant process due to faulty assumptions and poor reasoning.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

King of Bees posted:

Like I'm really proud and happy when a sailor makes chief but if that's the pinnacle of your life, whoah boy. Can you imagine a Capt putting on a sticker and wearing a shirt and getting a tattoo? Or a Lcdr? Or whatever?

Yes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

King of Bees posted:

I thought the pinnacle of a Captain's life was the :smug:ness his wife gets to enjoy every time she gets to use one of the O-6+ spots at the Exchange/Commissary.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Toughest job in the Navy :chiefsay:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Is it worse that i'm not a chief and was assumed to be one?

or is it worse that I was a nuke?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I thought the pinnacle of a Captain's life was the :smug:ness his wife gets to enjoy every time she gets to use one of the O-6+ spots at the Exchange/Commissary.

I thought it was the initiation to all the Swingers' clubs

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

lightpole posted:

There's a difference between doing something because you've done it that way for the last ten years, and knowing the science behind why you are doing something. One allows for both a greater breadth and depth of further understanding, the other leads to large numbers of mistakes or stagnant process due to faulty assumptions and poor reasoning.

Judging by the quality of all the other people pursuing bachelors in engineering at the "top tier prestigious engineering research institution" that I'm at we're about eight generations away from the holiness techpriest engineers. Nobody is being taught useful skills or knowledge.

This may only be true on the electrical side of things. Maybe the mechanical world is more grounded in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

M_Gargantua posted:

Is it worse that i'm not a chief and was assumed to be one?

or is it worse that I was a nuke?

What bumper stickers do you have?