Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Based on getting the article accepted for publication (and the other stuff I do, like teaching classes and chairing committees), our faculty voted to award me tenure earlier this year.
Thus making you the first person in recorded history to have their life improved by working with Daredevil. Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Thus making you the first person in recorded history to have their life improved by working with Daredevil. Congrats!

Oh snap.

Big congrats to Lou, we're FB friends so I've been following his progress on this and his achievement here is just fantastic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DarrowGeof/status/1129122205734965252
Boooooooo!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

There's no way that doesn't get leaked at some point.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Several months ago, I mentioned that I had written a scholarly article about what lessons Daredevil comics can teach about legal ethics and the legal system in general, especially to an audience of non-lawyers. It was finally published online today, in the Capital University Law Review. I'm a tenure-track law librarian, and getting scholarly articles written and published is one of the necessary requirements for tenure, which means you either get more job security and stability, or you get fired.

Based on getting the article accepted for publication (and the other stuff I do, like teaching classes and chairing committees), our faculty voted to award me tenure earlier this year. And now, after months of editing (both from me and the law review staff), it's finally out. I don't know if anyone here would be interested in reading it, but I promise you the source material is much more exciting than my article. I cited Frank Miller, Brian Michael Bendis, David Hine, Mark Waid, and especially Charles Soule's Daredevil comics extensively, so the article does contain some spoilers from all of their runs.

Best of all, I am planning to meet Charles Soule at MegaCon this weekend, both to get him to sign all my Daredevil and She-Hulk TPBs, and to give him a copy of this article (in a nice red folder) and thank him. He's an attorney himself, so hopefully he'll get it. His DD comics in particular inspired me to write this, so I feel like I owe him and all those other creators my job.

Here it is, all 56 whopping pages: https://www.capitallawreview.org/ar...-legal-practice

I'm gonna read it!!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

With a four foot canvas, imagine how many bullet casings Darrow could fit in!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I was wondering what Cate Blanchett had to do with JW3 until now

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Rhyno posted:

Oh snap.

Big congrats to Lou, we're FB friends so I've been following his progress on this and his achievement here is just fantastic.

JordanKai posted:

I'm gonna read it!!

Hey, thanks to all of you, seriously. It can't possibly live up to all the hype I'm giving it, but I'm pretty proud and extremely relieved right now. And I can't tell you how much I appreciate BSS as a place to talk about comics online with smart and good people.

I met Charles Soule at MegaCon today and gave him a copy, which he asked ME to sign, as he signed all my Daredevil and She-Hulk TPBs. We took a couple of pictures together and chatted for a few minutes, which meant so much to me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 18, 2019

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
You know, on a whim, I read the IDW Sonic Comic because I get some issues for free with my COMIXOLOGY UNLIMITED account. It was pretty good.

Got me interested in them and led to me finding out that the original run is the longest running all ages comic in America.

Outside some scattered issues, I don't think I ever read them as a child. But, I have just found out that sometimes we do read alongs. Like let's plays, but less financially viable.

Would anyone be interested if I did a read-along of the original run as a thread? And if I do so, what is the policy on posting occasional images?

I'm running under the assumption that this reading order is correct.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Aw yeah, sounds fun. I remember Chris Sims doing this back on comics alliance before that was shuttered, he didn't get to finish though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

You know, on a whim, I read the IDW Sonic Comic because I get some issues for free with my COMIXOLOGY UNLIMITED account. It was pretty good.

Got me interested in them and led to me finding out that the original run is the longest running all ages comic in America.

Outside some scattered issues, I don't think I ever read them as a child. But, I have just found out that sometimes we do read alongs. Like let's plays, but less financially viable.

Would anyone be interested if I did a read-along of the original run as a thread? And if I do so, what is the policy on posting occasional images?

I'm running under the assumption that this reading order is correct.

As long as you aren't posting the majority of an issue, you should be fine on images.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Here's something amazing.

Almost want to set up a honeymoon fund where if I raise enough money in donations, I'll wear this baby at NYCC.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That is truly horrifying

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gavok posted:

Here's something amazing.

Almost want to set up a honeymoon fund where if I raise enough money in donations, I'll wear this baby at NYCC.

I always wonder what those types of things will look like in real life, because that's not a photograph of a physical object. A company just makes web pages for a bazillion of those, most of which probably don't sell any, but print on demand is so cheap now that if you have the right connections or facilities to do it yourself it's barely more expensive than just a plain black version of whatever. So it's a question of the actual quality of the source image is, because on a piece of clothing that's a two-three foot picture of Thanos' face. You could maybe get something that wouldn't be terrible to someone standing next to you in real life if you had a 4k copy of Infinity Wars, but someone would also have to dig that image out, and how much time are they spending doing that?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Do not underestimate the spending power of nerds. Somebody somewhere will pay money for that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

Do not underestimate the spending power of nerds. Somebody somewhere will pay money for that.

They'll pay way more money than they should on individual things sure. I'm talking about there being so many things like that, most likely just generated by bots, that more of those exist than people who would get the reference.

I still want to know what one actually looks like as a physical product, because assuming someone paid money for that, it still didn't exist as an actual thing you could hold in your hands before someone paid money for it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

You could maybe get something that wouldn't be terrible to someone standing next to you in real life if you had a 4k copy of Infinity Wars, but someone would also have to dig that image out, and how much time are they spending doing that?

I'm willing to do this actually

Thanos face one-piece is a loving hilarious idea

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm willing to do this actually

Thanos face one-piece is a loving hilarious idea

Then buy one and show me a photo of a human wearing it, or make your own and sell them.

I think it'd be hilarious too, but I'm not giving money to some weird bot for a pixelated to hell image of Thanos on a one-piece.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah that's what I'm saying, I'm down to go grab a 4k copy of IW and pull a Thanos face from it and put it on redbubble so goons can have a human-made, not terrible version of that idea

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah that's what I'm saying, I'm down to go grab a 4k copy of IW and pull a Thanos face from it and put it on redbubble so goons can have a human-made, not terrible version of that idea

Gavok, start your gofundme.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I like that the most expensive piece of comic book art ever doesn't depict any famous characters and is just horny as gently caress.

https://twitter.com/frazettagirls/status/1129119105427148802

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I like that the most expensive piece of comic book art ever doesn't depict any famous characters and is just horny as gently caress.

https://twitter.com/frazettagirls/status/1129119105427148802

David D. Davidson posted:

I want to know who put that dorm room poster in that expensive frame. :v:

I thought that was a magazine rather than a comic cover but it turns out it was a cover for Eerie so both were right.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
modern comics aren't horny enough to be valuable

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
loving that sword positioning

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Old dudes with money go nuts for Frazetta art.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yall should watch that chernobyl show

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

In today's episode of "least surprising revelations about infamous comic runs", Angel Punisher is really bad. I thought it might be possible that the reputation was built on Punisher fans just not liking the idea of change, but holy poo poo is it terrible. I wouldn't be shocked if that was in part due to editorial interference, but there was no saving this train wreck. Why would you retcon the Punisher's origin to make it magic? Why change the Punisher into something even more generic? Why do magic angel guns look like bad scifi movie laser pistols?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

In today's episode of "least surprising revelations about infamous comic runs", Angel Punisher is really bad. I thought it might be possible that the reputation was built on Punisher fans just not liking the idea of change, but holy poo poo is it terrible. I wouldn't be shocked if that was in part due to editorial interference, but there was no saving this train wreck. Why would you retcon the Punisher's origin to make it magic? Why change the Punisher into something even more generic? Why do magic angel guns look like bad scifi movie laser pistols?

Doesn't Frankencastle come immediately after? I think that was supposed to be kinda good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no there's like a decade gap between those two

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Doesn't Frankencastle come immediately after? I think that was supposed to be kinda good.

No, Angel Punisher is right before Welcome Back Frank, the first Ennis series.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

No. Angel Punisher was in like 2000 as part of Marvel Knights. You had all these great books from that line, and that ended up being the major misfire.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Angel Punisher was a good idea and it sucks that it was handled so poorly.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

This. It gets away from the tired stories of

Frank kills a mobster who swears it's gonna be different when HIS crew takes on Punisher
Frank has to reluctantly team up with a hero who uses non lethal methods to fight crime
Said heroes get tired of Frank's Jonestown sized bodycount and try to bring him in

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Punisher kills the last Criminal on the planet. The world has, due the actions of everyone else but him, turned into that loving thing from Demolotion Man. Frank has to decide how he lives in this world without criminals and without the need of the Punisher.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Have they done a story where the Punisher makes Punisher robots to kill all the criminals?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

At the level of "The Punisher finally collapses under the weight of everything he's done and kills himself, but then he comes back from hell because supernatural forces won't let him stop killing," you've got an idea that can work. But beyond that, it's all bad. "He's an angelic avenger trying to kill demons to earn his way into heaven" is pretty cliche and hackey. All of the "Oh and he's working for his guardian angel who didn't protect his family on that day in the part because he was off getting laid and the mobsters that killed Frank's family were doing a ritual because their boss was a demon" is just batshit crazy.

Gripweed posted:

Have they done a story where the Punisher makes Punisher robots to kill all the criminals?

They haven't done that in Cosmic Ghost Rider?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gripweed posted:

But then he can't do it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Covok posted:

Punisher kills the last Criminal on the planet. The world has, due the actions of everyone else but him, turned into that loving thing from Demolotion Man. Frank has to decide how he lives in this world without criminals and without the need of the Punisher.
Isn't that still just Demolition Man?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Frankenstein Punisher and Space Punisher were good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Covok posted:

Not the Punisher, but they did a Wolverine What If issue that was kind of like that. Apocalypse reinjects adamantium into Wolverine and powers him up into being the Horseman of War. Wolverine goes into a rage and immediately turns on and slaughters Apocalypse and his crew. Then he becomes this omnipresent boogeyman of sorts who kills all the X-Men villains, moves on to the other villains, moves on to corrupt politicians/businessmen, moves on to child predators, etc. He's able to elude the superheroes and by the time he comes down from his bloodlust and vanishes, the world's governments are so spooked that they restructure everything for the better else he might come back.

The issue takes place about a hundred years later, where the world is a utopia and the protagonist is a soldier in a peacekeeping force that really doesn't do much, but is told to remain vigilant in case War returns. He questions his role in the world and ends up going to a retreat run by monks. There he bonds with their founder, a down-to-earth hooded figure calling himself "Brother Xavier."