Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

simplefish posted:

Is Infranview still the go-to for SSLPs, as the OP suggests?

It's a convenient, free utility that handles most of what you need, but it's far from the only way to capture and process screenshots. If you have and prefer other alternatives, use them. For instance, I've never used it to capture from an emulator because between the innate screencap functions just about every emulator comes with and the fraps setup I already have, I've never needed it. But if you're just starting out and don't already have a setup that works, you could certainly do a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For doing actual capturing, I prefer ShareX nowadays.
But for doing batch processing of image files, I don't think IrfanView is beaten yet.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Oheao posted:

What's the best free tutorial/guide for Premiere Pro?

There's a million different channels dedicated to learning Premiere, but two I've always liked were video revealed and Surfaced Studio. They'll teach you far more than you'll ever need to know for LPs, but hey, always fun stuff to learn.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I feel like a right dingus. I haven't done screenshot anything in ages and nothing I used to do is working.

I used to use AVSPmod, which was super convenient because I had it set up to press spacebar twice to save the current frame. Now I can't get a video to even open.

I've poked around to try to fix the problem myself. I'm trying to grab from a .mp4, captured from my Switch with an ElGato. I think I need to use the FFmpegSource2 function, which the AviSynth Wiki says handles .mp4 ok. I downloaded the function from GitHub, like it says. Trouble is I have no idea what to do with it.... now.... Does it go in the Plugins folder? Some other folder? Do I need to call the function so AviSynth recognizes what I'm trying to do? Currently I get the error message "There is no function named FFmpegsource2".

There is nowhere on the wiki that I can see that just explains "How to install Plugin for dumbdumb stupid heads like you."

Alternatively, if there's another program that will let me take screenshots from a dang video with little fuss on my part, I am all ears! I've figured out how to do it in Premier, it's just not very quick. I'd like a way to automate the file naming and suchlike. If Premier can do that... well egg on my face then.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If you have FFMPegSource in the plugins folder for AVISynth, it should work. Are you remembering to import the plugin with LoadPlugin before trying to call it?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

If you have FFMPegSource in the plugins folder for AVISynth, it should work. Are you remembering to import the plugin with LoadPlugin before trying to call it?

OK yeah, see, that's what I mean about 'How to install plugin for dumbdumb stupid heads like you.'

:downs:

No, I had not done that. I did it the obvious way of just put the .dll in the Plugins folder and telling AviSynth to look for that Plugin in the place where I saved it and BOOM. It worked after a few minutes. I was afraid the thing had crashed...

I had to look up one of my older scripts to see what the proper command line was. Good thing I keep everything forever! Thank you for sorting out my dumb self.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Silver Falcon posted:

It worked after a few minutes. I was afraid the thing had crashed...

It's going to keep doing that since it has to index the entire video, so don't be alarmed if AvsPmod freezes for a few minutes every time you load a new video.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Silver Falcon posted:

I had to look up one of my older scripts to see what the proper command line was. Good thing I keep everything forever! Thank you for sorting out my dumb self.

I've only ever written maybe three Avisynth scripts from scratch. The rest have all been copied from older scripts and modified, and I've spent the last few LPs refining my process so that I don't even need to change the actual script.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Can anybody recommend a free/low-cost, low-latency screen sharing program that also shares stereo mix audio?
My friend and I are trying to do an LP where he plays and I'm doing commentary, and we've been using Google Hangouts or Skype, with less than stellar results.

We are both using Win10, Nvidia GPUs, and on his side he's recording a PSX emulator. He is capturing the audio and video for the game, and also the audio from both of us.

betterinsodapop fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 23, 2019

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

All right I really must repeat my thanks and also reiterate my love of AVSPmod for this sort of thing. :swoon: I forgot how much I love this program.

Set the hotkey for taking a screenshot (I set it to space), and enter to take screenshots the fast way! Best part about it is, it remembers what convention you used to name the image. So, if you name it what frame you're on, it automatically does that for future screenshots! If Premier has a hotkey for such things (I imagine it does...) I have yet to find it.

Oh even nicer, arrow keys scroll the video for you. Left and right advance by one frame and up and down advance by one second. It's super great. I recommend it to anybody looking to do screenshots! Now if you'll excuse me, I have some dumb side content to put together for my LP...

Thanks again for the help!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

betterinsodapop posted:

Can anybody recommend a free/low-cost, low-latency screen sharing program that also shares stereo mix audio?
My friend and I are trying to do an LP where he plays and I'm doing commentary, and we've been using Google Hangouts or Skype, with less than stellar results.

We are both using Win10, Nvidia GPUs, and on his side he's recording a PSX emulator. He is capturing the audio and video for the game, and also the audio from both of us.

I can't really help with the screenshare part, but for the voice...

Is Teamspeak still a thing? There used to be goon channels and everything.
https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Teamspeak

Or was it Mumble everyone moved to?

I have no idea if it's low latency or whatever

simplefish fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 24, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

vilkacis posted:

It's a convenient, free utility that handles most of what you need, but it's far from the only way to capture and process screenshots. If you have and prefer other alternatives, use them. For instance, I've never used it to capture from an emulator because between the innate screencap functions just about every emulator comes with and the fraps setup I already have, I've never needed it. But if you're just starting out and don't already have a setup that works, you could certainly do a lot worse.

Thanks for the reply by the way. I've never LP'd anything and not 100% sure I'll have the time to start but I figure I should practise the stuff I'd be doing a bit before jumping headfirst into a thread

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is there any easy way to link posts in the OP? Trying to find a post id or something.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is there any easy way to link posts in the OP? Trying to find a post id or something.

The "#" button on the left-hand side links to a post, but also includes the surrounding posts. If you just want to link to a single post as its own page (recommended for linking to LP updates from the OP), use a URL like this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&noseen=1&postid=449959211

except replace the number after postid= with the postid from the "#" button.

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!
So, previously I attempted to use OBS for both my voice and the game audio, with the downside being that I can't adjust the levels after recording. I was wondering if there was a way to either separate the files with OBS, or if there was a way I could keybind to programs in a way that they both start and stop recording at the same time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Oheao posted:

So, previously I attempted to use OBS for both my voice and the game audio, with the downside being that I can't adjust the levels after recording. I was wondering if there was a way to either separate the files with OBS, or if there was a way I could keybind to programs in a way that they both start and stop recording at the same time.

Alternatively, start the voice recording first and do something visible to synchronize the video with your audio afterward. Selecting menu options and reading them aloud tends to work pretty well.

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!

Nidoking posted:

Alternatively, start the voice recording first and do something visible to synchronize the video with your audio afterward. Selecting menu options and reading them aloud tends to work pretty well.

I tried doing that in the past, but it was really difficult for me. Maybe now that I have Premiere instead of WMM it'll be easier since I can just shift the video feed later and then cut the early audio off instead of having to work around WMM's restrictions.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oheao posted:

I tried doing that in the past, but it was really difficult for me. Maybe now that I have Premiere instead of WMM it'll be easier since I can just shift the video feed later and then cut the early audio off instead of having to work around WMM's restrictions.

That is 100% the way to go.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
My 9 year old daughter will be staying with me for a couple of weeks and is wanting to do some co-commentary LPing with me. I've been looking into mics and have seen a couple listed in the OP.

I was looking into the Ice range specifically as they're more on the affordable side. I see that the Snowball has an omnidirectional model that is a little more money, would that be more suitable for two or more people over the standard model?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you want more than one person on a single mic you have to be very careful with room acoustics. With more people on a single mic you will naturally sit further away, meaning the room will have larger effect on the sound. This can make it much more difficult to understand what is being said, if the sound echoes/reverbs. It's not practical to remove that kind of natural room effect with DSP, you have to fix it with acoustic treatment of the room ahead of recording.
More people on a single mic also makes level adjustments more difficult, you easily risk one of you being louder than the other. This can partially be fixed in post with a dynamic compression effect, but again is easier to do well if you have each person on a separate track.

In short: One mic per person is much easier to get good results from.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Thank you for the informative reply, it has definitely helped narrow a few things further down.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Grandma's Guide to Slightly More Than Minimum Effort LPs for Ugly Babies

Four months ago, I finally made my first LP. And hosed it up a few times. But now I've got my own flow down and can explain it pretty well to people who are curious.

I use five pieces of software:

1) Streamlabs OBS:
2) Avisynth;
3) Audacity;
4) Notepad; and
5) MEGUI.

Streamlabs OBS

First, I record the gameplay in OBS and I record it as an MP4.

I watch my video and take notes as to which portions I need to edit. I'll take notes that say something ilke edit out 8:40-8:48. I'll do just simple trims because I'm not a handsome editor.

I pop open Notepad so I can use Avisynth. The AVISynth tutorial looks more difficult than it actually is because it's a little bit out of date.

You're going to need to download FFMPegSource2 plugin for AVISynth so you can edit MP4s with it.

With FFMPegSource2, you'll need to tell it to activate and then what pieces you're working with.

Here's what the first lines of a Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass video look like:

code:
LoadPlugin("E:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\ffms2.dll")
FFIndex ("E:\Yiik\Jimmy5.mp4")
vid = FFVideoSource ("E:\Yiik\Jimmy5.mp4",fpsnum = 30)
aud = FFAudioSource ("E:\Yiik\Jimmy5rawaudio.mp3")
We're telling AVISynth to load the plugin and we're indexing that MP4 into a video source and an audio source. The audiosource isn't important, it just needs to exist. We will come back to the audio source.

Then we need to tell it what we want it to do.

code:
video1 = crop(vid,170,0,-170,0)
video2 = trim(video1,0,14280) ++ trim(video1,14940,15270) ++ trim(video1,16590,20670) ++ trim(video1,21540,22020) ++ trim(video1,22980,23190) ++ trim(video1,24360,24750) ++ trim(video1,25650,33480) ++ trim(video1,34350,34890) ++ trim(video1,35730,53130)
video3 = AudioDub (video2,aud)
Line by line, here's what everything does:

You're telling avisynth what video 1 is. You're taking the initial video file and cropping it. AVISynth crops clockwise-- take off 170 pixels to the left, 0 pixels from the top, 170 pixels from the other way (hence the negative) from the right and 0 pixels from the bottom. You'll have to play with these numbers. You may not even need this!

Second line: Take the video we just cropped (video1). Then play these frames from it and don't go beyond it. Then the ++trim says "Toss these onto the end of it"

AVISynth does frame by frame. If you do 60 frames per second, do 60 frames per second and change the fpsnum to 60. If you do 30 frames per second, fine.

Let's say you want to remove 5:00-5:15 of your ten minute video. So now you need to convert that into frames so AVI knows which frames to keep and which frames to toss.

Convert the time period to seconds. 5 minutes is 300 seconds, 5 minutes 15 seconds is 315 seconds.

Now you multiply it by 30 (or 60). So we're looking at frames 9000-9450. So from your full 10 minute video, your code is going to look like this:

code:
 video2 = trim(video1,0,9000) ++ trim(video1,9450,0)
You're creating two blocks of video from your cropped video. We're taking frame 0 to 5:00 and 5:15 until the end of the video (which is how AVISynth demarcates end, 0).

Then you're saying video 3 is all that poo poo with the audio dubbed over it.

Save it. Save it as All Files, whatever your file name is, then .avs as the extension.

Now go into Audacity.

First, you need some raw audio to work with. Import the mp4 file's audio. Then remove 5:00-5:15 (just select it and cut it).

Export it as whatever you named your audio file in AVISynth.

Then go into MEGUI and tell it to run the avs script you made by selecting it then pressing queue. Make sure your video length and audio length match in the preview.

Queue it up and go to bed and you'll have an edited video in the morning.

Then go back into MEGUI and mp4 mux (tools => Muxer => MP4 Muxer) your audio file and your video file together.

Hooray! You've got an edited video ready to upload to wherever.

For recording, I generally have people hop into Discord. There's a bot called Craig that creates autosynced commentary tracks. I call craig in, I have the other person pull up the video (unlisted) on Youtube, I say 3-2-1- play and we both hit play at the same time and start talking.

Download your audacity track. Remove what you want from each person (I edit out people talking over each other and the big breaths people take). Clip it after play and when the video ends. Export it as an MP3 file.

Open up your imported audio file from the MP4. Import the commentary track. Adjust the levels of each track using amplify until your audio is where you want it. You can use autoduck but I'm not a fan of it.

Remux your new track with your old video file in MEGUI. Then you're done.

You made your first video with editing and post-commentary, hot drat!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I personally prefer AvSPMod to Notepad as an editor for Avisynth scripts because it has a built-in video player (unfortunately no audio) so you don't have to keep hopping back and forth between Notepad and your video player to check if your edits look the way you want them to.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

GrandmaParty posted:

Grandma's Guide to Slightly More Than Minimum Effort LPs for Ugly Babies

Two things I'd recommend to improve your workflow:

Get rid of the FFIndex call. The first call to FFVideoSource or FFAudioSource will run FFIndex if the index file doesn't already exist, and if it does, they'll skip the indexing operation. I don't know whether calling FFIndex again forces it to re-index the file, but if it does, you're spending a few extra minutes every time you process the script. If not, then it's just an extra line that does you no good.

I find it a lot easier to do the AudioDub operation before you do your trims, so the Avisynth script handles the synchronization of your video and audio. Why do the work of trimming out the same frames twice when you can do it once? I open the script in VirtualDub and Save as WAV to get the audio file for Audacity, but you can also just MixAudio your final commentary track with the original audio and handle the leveling by adjusting the mix ratio until you like what you hear. If you're just exporting the original video for commentary, you can use the same Avisynth script for both video and audio input in MeGUI. In fact, I've been doing this:

code:
try
{
  soundclip = WavSource("..\Audio\" + clipname + "sound.wav").ResampleAudio(48000)
  mainclip = mainclip.AudioDub(soundclip)
}
catch (err_msg)
{
  notfound = FindStr(err_msg, "couldn't open file")
  Assert(notfound != 0, err_msg)
}
to grab the commentary track (mixed with game audio in Audacity, in this case, but I could easily use MixAudio instead) if it exists and use that for the audio; otherwise, export just the game audio. Now, I can use the same script to export the edited video, and after I do the commentary, I export it to Audio\clipnamesound.wav and re-run the audio job. Avisynth and MeGUI pick up the file and replace the audio without me changing the script in any way. (clipname is the ScriptFile variable run through LeftStr to strip off the .avs part.)

Further, previewing the file in VirtualDub lets you grab exact frame numbers for your trims instead of having to do math. You could also just do the math in the script. floor((minutes * 60 + seconds) * video1.framerate) should do the trick, and you can even use fractional seconds that way. But exact frame numbers are much easier.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'm sure I saw it answered somewhere before, but I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find the answer again.

When I capture video in DosBox, the colours have recorded incorrectly.
Blue in-game has turned to purple in-video, green to pink
Screenshots taken are fine.
I'm using Windows 10.
I'm playing back in VLC.

How can I fix the colours?

I know DosBox captures avi with the zmbv flavour, so if there's anything I need to do with that .inf or .dll, let me know. I haven't done anything with them yet.

EDIT: Fixed! Turns out the game is programmed reeeeeally weirdly, running different .exes for different parts of the game (hooray old computing limitations!), so recording between them meant that the palettes didn't transfer properly. Stopping and making a separate recording for different parts of the game means everything's fine.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 5, 2019

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
How accurate is the "How to Prevent Sony Vegas from Destroying Your Video" article for later versions? It was written for version 9 but I'm using 15. Still running into some frame blurring and interlacing though. Some of it was recording and editing at different frame speeds but I'm still fiddling about to try and find other causes.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

OscarDiggs posted:

How accurate is the "How to Prevent Sony Vegas from Destroying Your Video" article for later versions? It was written for version 9 but I'm using 15. Still running into some frame blurring and interlacing though. Some of it was recording and editing at different frame speeds but I'm still fiddling about to try and find other causes.
Some of the project setting and quality setting stuff has changed, in old versions setting a higher quality enabled different resizing/resampling settings, where anything above the draft setting forced resizing and resampling on, with draft any resizing was basically 1:1 with no resampling and was needed for retro games or games with pixel art. I haven't been able to find a concrete list of what the current settings do, besides apparently deinterlacing not being available on draft/preview?

Frame blurring/blending is going to be because of the mismatch between project and source framerates, it's fixable though.

Now in the project settings you can disable resampling across the entire project(force enabling it on certain clips if you decide you want/need it),

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

lohli posted:

Good stuff

Wow thanks!

You've definetly saved me a lot of fiddling about on my own.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Every single avisynth script I have saved now returns the error "Avisynth: access violation at 0x00000000 in <path to AvsPmod or MeGui>, attempting to read from 0x00000000, <line number of FFVideoSource call>". I haven't changed any part of any of these scripts or any of the files they refer to, or Avisynth, or AvsPmod or MeGui.

1) What the gently caress?
2) Help?

Avisynth forums suggest this is a memory problem but, I dunno, that doesn't seem plausible.

E: Fixed by completely uninstalling and reinstalling avisynth. Would still dearly love to know what the gently caress the problem was.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 8, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Most likely some file or library necessary for avisynth was deleted/overwritten/corrupted somehow.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Is there a way to batch upload to lpix on Mac? Not a huge deal if not, just would make things one step easier for me.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I'm pretty happy with my current capture setup via my second PC and OBS. I'm currently outputting recordings to .flv files for no real reason (maybe it's a holdover from my 'stream' tab's setup?), but I don't mind it.

I've recently cancelled my Adobe CC membership, so I'm looking for a really quick 'n' dirty way to script cutting up and stitching together some of my video files. Are .flv files easier to mess with than .mp4?

For example, if I wanted to do a lower-effort LP where the editing is maybe as involved as "Oh... I need to cut out five minutes in the middle of this file," what's the best tool for something like that?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

zfleeman posted:

I'm pretty happy with my current capture setup via my second PC and OBS. I'm currently outputting recordings to .flv files for no real reason (maybe it's a holdover from my 'stream' tab's setup?), but I don't mind it.

I've recently cancelled my Adobe CC membership, so I'm looking for a really quick 'n' dirty way to script cutting up and stitching together some of my video files. Are .flv files easier to mess with than .mp4?

For example, if I wanted to do a lower-effort LP where the editing is maybe as involved as "Oh... I need to cut out five minutes in the middle of this file," what's the best tool for something like that?

Shotcut might be nice? https://shotcut.org/

I mentioned it in here before, but didn't get much in the way of feedback regarding possible cons or pros. The encoding settings are a bit different from what I'm used to with MeGUI et al. but it seems to put out good enough quality video.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

lohli posted:

Frame blurring/blending is going to be because of the mismatch between project and source framerates, it's fixable though.

What if I'm getting a bunch of blurring with the same framerate, same resolution, resampling disabled? I can't tell what I'm doing wrong and I'm resorting to reinstalling MeGUI just so I can see if there's some deeper issue or I just don't understand Vegas.

EDIT: Well, apparently it was just a matter of my bitrate needing to be 28-30 Mpbs instead of 8-10. I guess my idea of what's high bitrate is outdated.

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 12, 2019

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Geemer posted:

I mentioned it in here before, but didn't get much in the way of feedback regarding possible cons or pros. The encoding settings are a bit different from what I'm used to with MeGUI et al. but it seems to put out good enough quality video.

Gotcha. Didn't know if there was any scripting language that could slice and dice footage. I've also been curious about DaVinci Resolve 15's free version(?).

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

zfleeman posted:

Gotcha. Didn't know if there was any scripting language that could slice and dice footage. I've also been curious about DaVinci Resolve 15's free version(?).

Oh sorry, I thought you were looking for a GUI based editor. If it's scripting you want, check out AviSynth.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Geemer posted:

Not that I ever use video editing software, but once I do I'll probably go with Shotcut if only because it'll actually read my small lossless MKV recordings from Bizhawk. The future AviSynth implementation you mentioned in your last post on it is also very promising for my purposes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hey, so I'm trying to get Sonic Generations recording with OBS, when I do I get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM_qlPbFayE

As you can see the image quality is goddamn horrible and I'm nowhere near smart enough to know why.

These are my video recording settings for reference.

I've enough power on this computer to do basically whatever, so any advice on what to change would be helpful.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
A bitrate of 2500 for 2560x1440 at 60FPS is absurdly low, *especially* for a real-time encode of a fast-moving game like Sonic Generations. You want at least ten times that, and maybe drop the resolution to 1080p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Your resolution is really high at a really low bitrate for recording. Keep your encoder at 'veryfast' and up the bitrate to... 20000? 15000? I'm not sure what will look good at that resolution, but I do 20000 bitrate at 1080p for x264. Consider rescaling to 1080p.