Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Craptacular! posted:

Of course they wouldn't give us the name Zi-O ZO Armor so we can all choke on pronunciation.

Rural Juror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

CW adaptation of Ex-Aid incoming, including hot gay doctors.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What's the difference, hurr hurr

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

What's the difference, hurr hurr

Nico fucks, hard---
a girl.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Coq au Nandos posted:

CW adaptation of Ex-Aid incoming, including hot gay doctors.

If they pick Build, Sento and Ryuga could be even more gay for each other.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Of course they wouldn't give us the name Zi-O ZO Armor so we can all choke on pronunciation.
Technically that's pronounced Zee-O Zetto-O so its not actually that bad.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Just watched Heisei Generations Forever, that was a good, but very frustrating movie. I really enjoyed the Den-O stuff, it was good to see the other Imagin again; but, man, here you have Another Double, and no actual characters from Double show up. I just wanted to see Shotaro again, Toei. :negative:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

King of Solomon posted:

Just watched Heisei Generations Forever, that was a good, but very frustrating movie. I really enjoyed the Den-O stuff, it was good to see the other Imagin again; but, man, here you have Another Double, and no actual characters from Double show up. I just wanted to see Shotaro again, Toei. :negative:

Not Toei's fault. They absolutely did want to have W in, but Masaki Suda's schedule was completely filled (and it's likely to remain that way with his current popularity). Apparently Renn Kiriyama was also busy, and you know it must be important considering he's a giant Rider nerd and would've loved to be in.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not Toei's fault. They absolutely did want to have W in, but Masaki Suda's schedule was completely filled (and it's likely to remain that way with his current popularity). Apparently Renn Kiriyama was also busy, and you know it must be important considering he's a giant Rider nerd and would've loved to be in.

Yeah, I'm not super surprised about Masaki Suda, but I figured we'd get Renn Kiriyama at least. I get it, but man, what a bummer. :smith:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah I can't imagine Kiriyama turning down anything Rider related unless he really couldn't do it.

They should have delayed the movie to get him in though. He's my favorite.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, that's a real shame, but what can you do when you have that many actors to deal with? I'm surprised that they didn't swap Another Double with, say, Another Drive or something. That way they could use one of the RideWatches they already had.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Yeah, that's a real shame, but what can you do when you have that many actors to deal with? I'm surprised that they didn't swap Another Double with, say, Another Drive or something. That way they could use one of the RideWatches they already had.

I think they probably charted out which Riders would get tributes where before they started scripts and filming and stuff and reserved the hardest ones to obtain for this movie besides Kuuga. It's possible they might make a special to come back to Double when either or both of the actors' schedules open up. The design for Another Double is too fantastic to not see again. More should be made out of the fact that it had four eyes because of how the mask was designed.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Xelkelvos posted:

I think they probably charted out which Riders would get tributes where before they started scripts and filming and stuff and reserved the hardest ones to obtain for this movie besides Kuuga. It's possible they might make a special to come back to Double when either or both of the actors' schedules open up. The design for Another Double is too fantastic to not see again. More should be made out of the fact that it had four eyes because of how the mask was designed.

"when their schedules open up" isnt likely for Suda, since iirc according to at least one interview his schedule is logjammed for like two whole years. It's a minor miracle they managed to get him and Kiriyama in the same room long enough to do the Finger on the Trigger duet from the latest album of rider music that dropped.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Suda too famous. Suda be less famous. But still be Shinpachi.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Monathin posted:

"when their schedules open up" isnt likely for Suda, since iirc according to at least one interview his schedule is logjammed for like two whole years. It's a minor miracle they managed to get him and Kiriyama in the same room long enough to do the Finger on the Trigger duet from the latest album of rider music that dropped.

2 years is definitely a long time, but we're still getting stuff from seasons ago even now. Brain is still in progress iirc and that's based on a series that ended 4(?) years ago. There's still another Ex-Aid thing in the works I think. So it's not impossible to have a Zi-O/Double thing, but it'd probably be after the end of the series.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I'm working my way through W pretty slowly, just watching an episode set or two per week, so I just got to the big one where they finally do CycloneJokerXtreme and the song being played is really cool for the motorcycle ride with both of them after the reconciliation, but Xtremely funny for Accel just getting his rear end beat.

Enjoying this quite a bit. I didn't have high hopes for the mysteries in this being actually hard, given it's a toku show, but there's still fun in feeling smart and knowing what's going on 20 minutes before the main characters do, and even them bothering to have mysteries is cool. One of the things I'm actually respecting is there aren't any whodunnits in this where the answer is "because they're a dopant lol" and if you just set aside the powers as essentially being very complicated murder weapons, all of the motivations for villains fit.

I also like that they did the groundwork in explaining just how big the powerup is, since they go out of their way to have an episode with Shoutarou doing a twin maximum drive and getting absolutely hosed up by it, so when you see them do 4 at once, and then again right after, you immediately know poo poo is going down. The show earned the moment.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 23, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xelkelvos posted:

2 years is definitely a long time, but we're still getting stuff from seasons ago even now. Brain is still in progress iirc and that's based on a series that ended 4(?) years ago. There's still another Ex-Aid thing in the works I think. So it's not impossible to have a Zi-O/Double thing, but it'd probably be after the end of the series.

Sadly, there's nothing Ex-Aid related in the works, at least as far as we know. Outside of the running series, there's a Build movie coming out but it'll likely be awful consisting it's following the terrible New World: Cross-Z.

Brain is great because it was just this completely dumb April Fools gag and then someone apparently just decided to make it real. Even got Riku Sanjo back to write it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sadly, there's nothing Ex-Aid related in the works, at least as far as we know. Outside of the running series, there's a Build movie coming out but it'll likely be awful consisting it's following the terrible New World: Cross-Z.

Excuse me, It was more Bajou and plot aside more bajou automatically makes it great.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zedd posted:

Excuse me, It was more Bajou and plot aside more bajou automatically makes it great.

I love Banjou but it's not like New World was a good showing for him either. Everyone acts far worse than ever to justify the fact that somehow everyone's fine with Evolto now after, you know, all the poo poo he pulled in the series proper.

Also it ruins Banjou's canon ship so it's bad on that too.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also it ruins Banjou's canon ship so it's bad on that too.
His cute BF puts all possible effort into making him a new powerup item. :colbert:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Did a bit of looking around and apparently the fan theory for why Sento and Banjou still have their memories and powers in Heisei Generations Forever is the Imagin is pulling the Riders from their fictional world so they were pulled from a point in their series after they'd met Sougo, but before Another Build was created. Which is good enough for me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

God this Zi-O arc was a mess. Please never bring Inoue back.

The greatest combination of a completely unearned and unimpressive power-up, a pointless and ultimately fake subplot, and short and boring fights, including the one that just removed Ginga before we learned absolutely anything about him. Yay. Not to mention teasing a new proper Armor and not using it. And also, bringing back an actress only for her to have no relevance and not even play the same character as far as we can tell. Jesus christ, we had not one but TWO Ixas and yet neither got to transform, this is early Zi-O treatment here.

That this was, by far, the best Another Rider just makes this worse really.

At least next episode looks far more impressive. I saw it coming that either Hopper would become Another Kabuto, and it seems it's Yaguruma. That's a completely logical choice for the role, and hell, it's not even the first time he plays Evil Kabuto considering his Decade AU did exactly that before. And the preview actually justifies Kageyama being alive, because time-space is just that massively messed up at this point, so the dead are coming back to life/never died at all thanks to changes in time. Plus, we get three Riders back and two out of them actually transform, with the last one becoming an Another Rider instead, I can't complain at all!

Except for, maybe, it would've been neat to get Another Kick Hopper or Another The Bee. But Another Kabuto is such a cool design, I'm perfectly fine with this.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah this Kiva arc was really really awful. I'm really annoyed that Sougo didn't use the Kiva Ride Watch purely because we already knew there isn't a Kiva Armor suit, and they weren't going to have him use Zi-O II because they had to show off Woz using his new power. Hibiki and Agito were written really well to cover up the lack of Hibiki/Agito suits, this wasn't. I mean I know the plot reason for it was "He was hesitant to attack the girl he has a crush on" but it was still pretty hamhanded and just made it apparent "He can't use this watch because we don't have a suit for it."

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

I’m less aquainted with inoue than a lot of you, but my immedite prior exposure to inoue writing were his decade episodes, Daiki world was actually good. Like what the heck happened in the last nine years. This And rider-time Ryuki just make me want to ask Why they had him write stuff for zi o. Because the kiva arc (esp part ii) was the Worst. Nega World 2 in decade was Also my least fav ep of decade, it’s so Dull.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Because Inoue wrote Kiva, and that's probably all there was to it. Entire second part of Kiva arc matched the second-hand knowledge of Inoue writing to me, without having watched either of his Rider shows.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Inoue has been coasting on neopotism for years and years, his dad - Masaru Igami - was one of the mainstay writers of early Showa. But Inoue's plots all end up having the same exact beats and he largely writes the same characters in the same situations that would take ~2 minutes to clear up if anyone acted remotely in-character or talked to each other. He hasn't written anything remotely passable since either Agito or Jetman, depending on who you ask.

There's a reason we like to refer to him as the #1 Enemy of the Podcast. :v:

Monathin fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 24, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Monathin posted:

Inoue has been coasting on neopotism for years and years, his dad - Masaru Igami - was one of the mainstay writers of early Showa. But Inoue's plots all end up having the same exact beats and he largely writes the same characters in the same situations that would take ~2 minutes to clear up if anyone acted remotely in-character or talked to each other. He hasn't written anything remotely passable since either Agito or Jetman, depending on who you ask.

Speaking of which, is your podcast still going? I haven’t seen anything from you guys since late March.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 24, 2019

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

GuyUpNorth posted:

Because Inoue wrote Kiva, and that's probably all there was to it. Entire second part of Kiva arc matched the second-hand knowledge of Inoue writing to me, without having watched either of his Rider shows.

yeah unfortunately i've also seen parts of kiva and mood wise it was accurate, doesn't mean i had to like it. or Sougo basically being possesed by the ghost of Otoya, because that's how inoue wrote sougo these last two weeks

Monathin posted:

ah Nepotism, that also explains a lot. though i actually quite liked the ghost movie where Hongo showed up. -though that one had Fujioka himself do writing to make sure what happened in Showa Vs Heisei didn't happen again iirc

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 24, 2019

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

M.Matsuda posted:

ah Nepotism, that also explains a lot. though i actually quite liked the ghost movie where Hongo showed up. -though that one had Fujioka himself do writing to make sure what happened in Showa Vs Heisei didn't happen again iirc

That's correct.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, is your podcast still going? I havent seen anything from you guys since late March.

We're gonna try and get back into it this week. Long story short Alexa needed some time away from everything for mental health reasons and Van and I's schedules kind of slipped out of sync to the point where recordings were untenable (I currently work night shift so I need to be in bed rather early, and Van's had some sleeping problems that mean they're typically up in the dead of night, since we're in the same timezone.)

That combined with the fact we'd been essentially burning episodes on a week to week basis left little room for us to really put out a product we were satisfied with. Alexa's back with us and we should be able to get things rolling back to standard operating procedure in a week or three, depending on how things shake out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monathin posted:

He hasn't written anything remotely passable since either Agito or Jetman, depending on who you ask.

I'd say this is extreme. He may not have written anything genuinely good since Agito but some of his failures are at least entertaining in their bad or have some good qualities.

But yeah, Agito's pretty much the last one that's mostly good (and even there it's sandwiched between two better series) so let's have a small tribute to it with its well known secondary Rider and everyone's favourite cop Rider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90S_4rw1rs0
"Fighting with his instincts, the evolving Rider is...Gills!"
"Armor Time! Gills!"
"Finish Time! Heel Claw Time Break/Burst!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QqFQVNtqvg
"Signal Bike! Shift Car! The Drive with both powers: Type Deadheat."
"Armor Time! Deadheat! Deadheat!"
"Finish Time! Finisher Time Break/Burst!"

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Monathin posted:

We're gonna try and get back into it this week. Long story short Alexa needed some time away from everything for mental health reasons and Van and I's schedules kind of slipped out of sync to the point where recordings were untenable (I currently work night shift so I need to be in bed rather early, and Van's had some sleeping problems that mean they're typically up in the dead of night, since we're in the same timezone.)

That combined with the fact we'd been essentially burning episodes on a week to week basis left little room for us to really put out a product we were satisfied with. Alexa's back with us and we should be able to get things rolling back to standard operating procedure in a week or three, depending on how things shake out.

Real glad always enjoy its a joy to listen to.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd say this is extreme. He may not have written anything genuinely good since Agito but some of his failures are at least entertaining in their bad or have some good qualities.

I mean, I was excited to see him writing for the Kamen Rider #1 movie because in the midst of an era of Ghost and a bunch of other Rider stuff I didn't enjoy at the time much, I can at least almost always count on Inoue to be amusingly uniquely baffling and not boring.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

M.Matsuda posted:

ah Nepotism, that also explains a lot.

To be fair his daughter is apparently writing for the new Kitaro anime, and it's way better than you would expect a Gegege no Kitaro anime would be in 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

To be fair his daughter is apparently writing for the new Kitaro anime, and it's way better than you would expect a Gegege no Kitaro anime would be in 2019

So it skips a generation.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Holy poo poo this is some good art
https://twitter.com/MAXK5551/status/1132528906945220608?s=19

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This is the 11th episode and the bad guys have already progressed to strapping a sick kid to a bunch of explosives. They're such huge pieces of poo poo it's kind of endearing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I watched ZIO 36 yesterday. It was pretty good, not stellar, but good enough. That ending was not something I was expecting though. Also, sewer lids are the ultimate weapon confirmed.

The girl Sougo liked was actually a murderer all along and not falsely accused and she got shot by the time jacker girl.

It really makes me wish that Ginga hadn't shown up so they could've spent more time on Sougo's love story and the reveal.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 27, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

This is the 11th episode and the bad guys have already progressed to strapping a sick kid to a bunch of explosives. They're such huge pieces of poo poo it's kind of endearing.

It's really just Wyzul, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Darth TNT posted:

I watched ZIO 36 yesterday. It was pretty good, not stellar, but good enough. That ending was not something I was expecting though. Also, sewer lids are the ultimate weapon confirmed.

The girl Sougo liked was actually a murderer all along and not falsely accused and she got shot by the time jacker girl.

It really makes me wish that Ginga hadn't shown up so they could've spent more time on Sougo's love story and the reveal.

I was kinda hoping that Ginga and Sougo's ex would hook up and go off and blow up planets or make out on the moon leaving Sougo lookin geeky.