Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

.hack//gu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Thank you for the suggestions, all.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dynasty Warriors 7? It's cheap, and if you crank the difficulty up to hard or (do not do this) chaos or nightmare, it goes from being a mindless button-masher to a bit more involved with breaking the opponent's guard, saving musou attacks to keep yourself alive when they break out theirs, and actually needing to wipe out mooks (especially archers) in order to survive.

Also the story is surprisingly great, and if you don't care for the story there are two other modes that have a lot of variety to them. I like it a lot!
Unfortunately, I've never found the Dynasty Warriors games that compelling.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How do you feel about the Devil May Cry series and other spectacle brawler games?
DmC is the only one I played and apparently I am a war criminal for enjoying that game.
I remember playing a Ys game a long time ago where the main antagonist was a weather machine? That's the only one in the series I've ever played but this one looks pretty up my alley from initial screenshots.

ninjewtsu posted:

.hack//gu?
Haha loving .hack. Goddamn, I have a history with that series. I only ever caught a couple episodes of the anime because I could never remember to watch it when it was on. I had owned the first two .hack games on PS2. I had played the first two (Infection & Mutation) and really loving loved them. (Its no surprise that a few years later, I would begin a life long love affair with MMOs.) It was unfortunate though because I grew up in a fairly rural area so the local game store never had copies of the 3rd or 4th game in the series so I never had a chance to finish it.

How is .hack//gu? From what I'm gathering on wikipedia it was another trilogy released on PS2 that then got a rerelease on PS4? Did the original 4 games never get a rerelease? How does this gu trilogy relate to the original series?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mordiceius posted:

How is .hack//gu? From what I'm gathering on wikipedia it was another trilogy released on PS2 that then got a rerelease on PS4? Did the original 4 games never get a rerelease? How does this gu trilogy relate to the original series?

IMOQ never got rereleased, no. The GU Collection does have the Terminal disc that goes over the important bits though. It does..play better, still not incredible and there's a buncha filler (hope you like tournament arcs).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mordiceius posted:

Haha loving .hack. Goddamn, I have a history with that series. I only ever caught a couple episodes of the anime because I could never remember to watch it when it was on. I had owned the first two .hack games on PS2. I had played the first two (Infection & Mutation) and really loving loved them. (Its no surprise that a few years later, I would begin a life long love affair with MMOs.) It was unfortunate though because I grew up in a fairly rural area so the local game store never had copies of the 3rd or 4th game in the series so I never had a chance to finish it.

.hack//GU is a sequel that's mostly detached from the first set of games - the original World ended, they made a sequel MMO that has - gasp - PVP in it, and you play as Haseo, an edgelord teenager who grows through the trilogy from being a lone wolf edgelord to being someone who accepts that friendship is pretty cool, actually.

I haven't played it in like ten years, as I played through it on the PS2 after finishing the original games, and I found it to be pretty decent? Like, the plot is anime as all get out, and the gameplay's repetitive, but there's this charm to it that you'll understand since you loved the first games.

Fortunately it goes on sale for like 15$ often so it's relatively cheap and has all three games in it, and... I should pick it up. But after I'm done with my fling with Dynasty Warriors.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You could maybe give Dragon's Dogma a look? It's not exactly dungeon crawling for the most part, but it's got some real nice hack and slash action without exactly reaching Dark Souls difficulty. Also some very engaging and kinetic magic.

Vookatos posted:

Hi everyone! I recently played through both La Mulana games, and I'd like something similar. Simon's Quest in Castlevania Collection also scratches that itch but obviously that game has issues.
Is there something similar I could play? I guess something like an exploration platformer that resembles Metroidvania, but more puzzle-based.

Spelunky feels like it's drinking from the same well as La Mulana, although it's a roguelike, not a Metroidvania.

Wuppo is very light on combat, and it's more about writing and exploring the world you live in. It's very nice.

Blaster Master 0 has a similar feel to La Mulana in that it's a remade old NES Metroidvania, but it's much lighter on puzzles. There's also a sequel that came out recently.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

DmC is the only one I played and apparently I am a war criminal for enjoying that game.

DmC isn't a bad game IMO; it just claims to be in the same series as Devil May Cry while not really having much of anything to do with the games in that series. Different characters, different setting, different mechanics, etc. If you enjoyed it, you should consider checking out Devil May Cry 4, which has more depth to the fighting and is simultaneously sillier (in individual scenes) and more serious (in overall tone and scope) than DmC. And you don't need to have played the prior games; the Devil May Cry stories don't really build on each other.

Reviewing my Steam library, you might also be interested in Nier: Automata, and maybe Bastion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It wasn't so much claiming to be in the same series but rather showed an active disdain for the main series, including that infamous bit from the devs making the game about Brokeback Dante

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also yes if you have somehow never experienced nier automata definitely do that, and go in as blind as possible

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vookatos posted:

Hi everyone! I recently played through both La Mulana games, and I'd like something similar. Simon's Quest in Castlevania Collection also scratches that itch but obviously that game has issues.
Is there something similar I could play? I guess something like an exploration platformer that resembles Metroidvania, but more puzzle-based.

LaMulana is pretty singular in terms of feel, but you might also appreciate Alwa's Awakening or Weebish Mines, which take after Legacy of the Wizard in the same way LaMulana took after Maze of Galious as I understand it.

Though I guess on that note, if you can get your hands on Legacy of the Wizard give that a shot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I'm looking for a good hack-n-slash dungeon crawler. Something not too difficult but also not completely mindless. Like, I want something more tactile than an isometric RPG. Preferably a third person action game. Press button, swing sword, type. I was watching an old Dark Cloud 2 video and was kinda wanting something in that vein of gameplay.

Dragon's Dogma is good but maybe a bit more of a full fat RPG, Victor Vran is a much more actiony "direct" take on the Diablo style. Divinity 2 (not OS2) might be worth a look too

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I'm looking for a good hack-n-slash dungeon crawler. Something not too difficult but also not completely mindless. Like, I want something more tactile than an isometric RPG. Preferably a third person action game. Press button, swing sword, type. I was watching an old Dark Cloud 2 video and was kinda wanting something in that vein of gameplay.

Titan Quest is traditional overhead perspective, but still very very satisfying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mordiceius posted:

Darksiders series.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Omensight

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Zelda: BoTW

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

exquisite tea posted:

Darksiders series.
Oh poo poo. I've been meaning to pick up Darksiders 3 (though I hear it's not great). DS1 was a fantastic game. DS2 was a decent game with a poo poo story and it's very clear they ran out of budget midway through that game.

kedo posted:

Zelda: BoTW
You'd think this game would be right up my alley especially with the portability of the Switch. For some reason, I found Breath of the Wild immensely boring. I know I'm the minority in this but I just feel like the game was a little too directionless. Yeah, you can just mainline the main quest but it's not like the story is actually interesting. And I've never been a fan of just aimless exploring. That "sense of discovery" does nothing for me.

Hwurmp posted:

Omensight
This looks pretty loving good. And I've been looking for a new switch game to play on my commute too. Will totally check this out.

Pierzak posted:

Titan Quest is traditional overhead perspective, but still very very satisfying.
I haven't played Titan Quest in ages. I heard they put out two new expansions to the game, over 10 years since the original release?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Reviewing my Steam library, you might also be interested in Nier: Automata, and maybe Bastion.

Captain Invictus posted:

Also yes if you have somehow never experienced nier automata definitely do that, and go in as blind as possible
I've been a Nier stan since the original. You better believe I played Automata on launch day.

SlothfulCobra posted:

You could maybe give Dragon's Dogma a look?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Dragon's Dogma is good but maybe a bit more of a full fat RPG, Victor Vran is a much more actiony "direct" take on the Diablo style. Divinity 2 (not OS2) might be worth a look too
I played Dragon's Dogma long ago and then I played it again when Dark Arisen came out, and I've played Divinity 2 before.

What this is showing me is that I've played pretty much every hack-n-slash dungeon crawler that easily comes to mind.

It makes me sad that this genre feels so loving dead nowadays.

I just loving love dungeon grinding. It's such a good, mindless activity while watching videos. Like, Recettear and Ys Origin are great because you just spend 90% of your time mindlessly grinding monsters. But it feels more tactile than something in the vein of Diablo. But at the same time, I find Dynasty Warriors style games woefully dull.

I would loving kill for a game that was a 3rd person action hack-n-slash version of Diablo.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

hmm. Songbringer? Swords of Ditto? Wayward Souls? all top down but good and Diabloish

Shadow Warrior 2 is an FPS but scratches a surprisingly similar itch. Earth Defense Force maybe if guns instead of swords is ok

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 22, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I started that shadow warrior remake and enjoyed the combat, but gave it up because the character progression felt so flimsy. When you level up in a game you should feel more powerful. Instead it was poo poo like, you swing your sword 5% faster and that’s it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mordiceius posted:

Rogue legacy?

E: deep rock galactic? Vermintide?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mordiceius posted:

I just loving love dungeon grinding. It's such a good, mindless activity while watching videos. Like, Recettear and Ys Origin are great because you just spend 90% of your time mindlessly grinding monsters. But it feels more tactile than something in the vein of Diablo. But at the same time, I find Dynasty Warriors style games woefully dull.

I would loving kill for a game that was a 3rd person action hack-n-slash version of Diablo.

Warframe? It doesn't have random affixes on loot, but if you want to grind your rear end off it's got you covered.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mordiceius posted:

I haven't played Titan Quest in ages.
Van Helsing if you liked Titan Quest.

Dawn of War II has many dungeon crawler adjacent aspects.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

It makes me sad that this genre feels so loving dead nowadays.

It's not so much dead as different fads have overtaken the old ways. Dark Souls pushed many devs to try developing more skill-based things instead of grinding, while other triple A devs are chasing after other trends. You might like going after some more open-world action games like Shadow of Mordor, or try dipping into other side genres of action like the Arkham games or Monster Hunter.

And since you're open to isometrics, you might have some fun with Kamiko. Indie devs are always there, but it can be hard to find them in all the mess. Also Dragon Age or Jade Empire might tickle your fancy underneath all the layers of story, they're pretty actiony.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

The game you're looking for is Nioh. It's maybe a bit too lethal to be considered mindless, especially when you first start, but it's pretty much exactly this. You can also make it more or less mindless later on depending on how you build your character - glass cannon, tank, mage, or possibly an axe perpetually swinging in a circle with a man placed in the middle.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Trick Question posted:

The game you're looking for is Nioh. It's maybe a bit too lethal to be considered mindless, especially when you first start, but it's pretty much exactly this. You can also make it more or less mindless later on depending on how you build your character - glass cannon, tank, mage, or possibly an axe perpetually swinging in a circle with a man placed in the middle.

And if you want to make it mindless, do co-op because the difficulty shatters with two people.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Hey thread, is there anything if two people wanted to play a 2vs2 competitive game?
Me and a friend are playing MOBAs right now but we're old and we're getting cranky about seeing people doing stupid stuff. I won't touch the argument, we can accept being idiots but we're getting more and more intolerant of idiots who won't communicate their idiocy. We're finding some solace in Overwatch right now, but I wanted to ask nonetheless. So, anything like that? Rocket League is striked out.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Char posted:

Hey thread, is there anything if two people wanted to play a 2vs2 competitive game?
Me and a friend are playing MOBAs right now but we're old and we're getting cranky about seeing people doing stupid stuff. I won't touch the argument, we can accept being idiots but we're getting more and more intolerant of idiots who won't communicate their idiocy. We're finding some solace in Overwatch right now, but I wanted to ask nonetheless. So, anything like that? Rocket League is striked out.

Overcooked?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Regular Human Basketball and SportsFriends.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Regular Human Basketball and SportsFriends.

Can't find them on Steam, are they indie games?
j/k we're 250 miles apart.

I often play Overcooked with my sister but we were looking for something more PVP oriented.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Smash Bros?

EDIT: if you're PC-only, Slap City is a Smash-like on Steam with online multiplayer.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 23, 2019

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Char posted:

Can't find them on Steam, are they indie games?
j/k we're 250 miles apart.

I often play Overcooked with my sister but we were looking for something more PVP oriented.

Brawlhalla is pretty good, as is Battlerite? Battlerite even has a 2v2 mode, and it's kind of a MOBA, ish? It's hard to explain.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Battlerite is just the hero vs. hero part of a moba, with none of the other stuff. It's quite good.

It's not strictly 2vs2, but the big battle royale games (except apex legends) let you play duos.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Char posted:

What kind of competitions are you open to? Would RTSs appeal? Anything with resource sharing like Planetary Annihilation is real fun in a team.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Splicer posted:

What kind of competitions are you open to? Would RTSs appeal? Anything with resource sharing like Planetary Annihilation is real fun in a team.

I haven't explored this option, but I was considering Starcraft 2 as well.

I am partial against BRs because I'm too old to learn how to shoot in a game where there's not constant shooting - I find Overwatch more to my liking because I'm constantly fighting, dying and respawning, we gave Titanfall 2 a short spin and it wasn't half bad, too.

3vs3 might be a good fit as well.

Is Battlerite still alive and well?

Char fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 23, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh yeah Starcraft 2 has that co-op mode. I haven't tried it yet (because I kinda forgot about it until just now) that's even available to play on the free version, so I hear.

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.
Looking for a great shooter campaign. Something a little off the beaten path [ive played Doom and tf2].

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Spruchy posted:

Looking for a great shooter campaign. Something a little off the beaten path [ive played Doom and tf2].

Prey?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Bulletstorm or the new Wolfenstein games

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Spruchy posted:

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Overload
Prey

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 23, 2019

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Spruchy posted:

Bulletstorm, Prey Wolfenstein: New Order, Destiny 2 with Forsaken has a lot of fun content and missions that will last a long time before you get into the more divisive endgame grind.

On the indie side there have been some great ones recently. Dusk owns although the Aesthetic isn't really my thing, Amid Evil and Ion Maiden aren't finished but have plenty of content and are shaping up beautifully. Apparently Project Warlock is good but don't know much about it.

Also Blood just got a remaster and it's a classic!

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.
Thank you very much all, wolfenstein and prey were actually on the top of my list so i thinknwe got a winner. Also totally forgot about strangers wrath and i totally want forsaken when it goes on sale [heard it should be soon to promote new content, pc]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

there's also immortal redneck for a more roguelike shooting experience