Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
We played today's game with an app. Got only two autofails, everyone was happy. I think we'll continue using it going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Of my playgroup, one guy has nice 3d printed minitokens, one has fancy Etsy-produced plastic coin versions of the tokens, and the last other guy has all his chaos bag tokens in individual coin cases for some satisfying heft and durability.

Any time I play at home now with my own set I feel like a total scrub.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Someone sold the wrong pack, so here's some investigator card spoilers: https://ibb.co/5YwsmZ5

Looking forward to the nerd who goes deep on the statistical analysis to figure out if Investments is a good card.

Also Fortune or Fate is really loving strong.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 14, 2019

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Someone sold the wrong pack, so here's some investigator card spoilers: https://ibb.co/5YwsmZ5

Looking forward to the nerd who goes deep on the statistical analysis to figure out if Investments is a good card.

Gonna guess that Investments is very bad, you gotta wait 4 turns just for it to be a normal Emergency Cache that costs an extra action.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Orange Devil posted:

Fortune or Fate: Seems pretty good and straightforward.

Investments: seems too slow to be worth it. Maybe if you have it in opening hand or under Stick to the Plan, but even then I'd rather have Emergency Cache for immediate setup

De Vermis Misteryiis: A doom and (-1) cost seems pretty expensive for the effect.

Knowledge is Power: really good. Get a tome or spell usage action, from in play or hand, for free without an action is really strong.

Telescopic Sight: Garbage. Requires a 2 handed weapon and makes it so you cant attack with it while engaged means it requires Bandolier to be even slightly playable. And you cant even shoot Elites with it!

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Fortune or Fate: Solid as hell

Investments: Hmm some games go 10-12 turns. If this is in your opening hand, its not terrible, it lacks that immediate power you’d like though.

De Vermis Misteryiis: Ok with Knowledge is Power? Most of the Insight events are fast so hmm.

Knowledge is Power: Very cheeky card. I like it a lot.

Telescopic Sight: Two handed ranged weapons have a range of options that go from excellent to garbage, I’m unsure how this is meant to help. Pretty much requires bandolier to be any use. Why in gods name is it 3 exp? 1 would be arguably too much and its tied to two other cards that cost exp.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Knowledge is Power would be an automatic include in pretty much any Mystic deck if it was a purple card. It's still godly but the number of people who can play it effectively is more limited - Daisy, Marie Lambeau, Jim and Norman Withers, I think? Fast action, chargeless Shriveling or Rite of Seeking is just ridiculous, and you don't even need the card to actually be in play to use it.

Fortune or Fate is great and a good target once you bought up your initial set of stuff cards as well.

Investments seems pretty bad. You generally want resources earlier rather than later to play assets - they're not fungible over the course of the entire scenario. Plus it goes from meh to godawful if you don't start with it.

No idea why Telescopic Sight costs 3 XP and 3 resources even as a Fast action. For that kind of investment you should be able to remove it, or attack Elites. Or, you know, both.

De Vermis Mysteriis seems pretty meh. A lot of the spells you'd want to recurse from the discard pile are either fast actions (Ward of Protection) or Fight actions (Storm of Spirits), but because this takes up its own action neither of those are useful/will cause you to trigger an attack of opportunity.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ashcan Pete can take investments and charge it up faster than most. I'm not sure it is worth it, but I enjoy the thought of a drifter talking about his investment portfolio or investing in cans of soup, whichever direction you want to take it.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

KPC_Mammon posted:

Ashcan Pete can take investments and charge it up faster than most. I'm not sure it is worth it, but I enjoy the thought of a drifter talking about his investment portfolio or investing in cans of soup, whichever direction you want to take it.

If you want to do a similar trick but make it dumber, David Renfield is hilarious in an Ashcan Pete deck so long as you can get rid of him before the doom ticks over.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

RPZip posted:

If you want to do a similar trick but make it dumber, David Renfield is hilarious in an Ashcan Pete deck so long as you can get rid of him before the doom ticks over.

:stare:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Agnes, Minh, and Preston can all grab Fortune or Fate but typically they wouldn't have the spare XP like a Survivor, right? Would it be worth it in a 4-player game? I play mostly solo, but with four people doesn't this card basically read 'take an extra twelve actions this turn?'

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I’m pretty sure max one per game is across all players.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

De Vermis Mysteriis seems very good with Sefina, given how her signature cards are spell events.

Investments is garbage unless you have specific late game money sinks, like maybe Lola Santiago? Even then I'm not very enthusiastic.

The scope is hot garbage but potentially fun in 4 player if you can maximize it by letting you be useful for combat while basically not having to take any move actions at all for the entire game and using the gained actions to do <something useful not yet specifically defined>. Even then it'll not be good, just different and maybe interesting.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 15, 2019

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Ubik_Lives posted:

I’m pretty sure max one per game is across all players.

I had to check the rules on this because I thought it says 'group limit' when it means that, but you're right, the word 'max' means across all players.

https://arkhamdb.com/rules#Limits_and_Maximums

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
The scope is pretty strange in a world where Marksmanship exists. I could understand if it could be fitted to pistols, because you could justify having a scoped colt to plug whippoorwills and wounded adjacent enemies, while also using a machete to kill enemies engaged with you. The two-handed requirement and not being able to target non-adjacent elites is pretty counterproductive.

I'd pretty much only take it if I were rocking an upgraded bandolier and two guardian Thompsons, just to dual wield them with one scoped, and make endless Thomson and Thompson jokes.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ubik_Lives posted:

I'd pretty much only take it if I were rocking an upgraded bandolier and two guardian Thompsons, just to dual wield them with one scoped, and make endless Thomson and Thompson jokes.

This type of stuff is absolutely the main use of the card.

You're playing this game right is what I'm saying.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What's the overall consensus on the Return to X boxes? Worth it? Are they a logistical hassle to sort and setup with regards to the old vs new cards? Are they strictly harder or just different? Also, is the Dunwich one a full campaign change?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the overall consensus on the Return to X boxes? Worth it? Are they a logistical hassle to sort and setup with regards to the old vs new cards? Are they strictly harder or just different? Also, is the Dunwich one a full campaign change?

Probably somewhat overpriced, but really quite neat. The scenario changes are both of the variety/fix and difficulty variety and mostly straightforward to sort out the two (encounter cards for difficulty, locations, agendas et al probably for variety). The boxes, while welcome for providing nice index cards for sorting the cards have quite a bit of empty space, with the understandably short Night of the Zealot bordering on ridiculous.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

It depends on how much you play.

I'd played Dunwich completely through three or four times before the release of Return to Dunwich. I've gotten another two playthroughs with Return to X.

I'm eagerly anticipating Return to Carcosa because that campaign has been my favorite so far and I want another excuse to revisit it, even though I'm currently in the middle of my third playthrough right now.

If you are the type who doesn't like replaying scenarios it isn't worth the money. I've gotten a lot of value out of them so far.

Having another set of certain encounter cards is really nice for organizing campaigns. You can have nearly all of the cards you need in one box. Unfortunately cards like rats still need to be split across multiple campaigns. I really wish they printed new versions of all base set cards that appear in a campaign, instead of just base set cards that appear more than once.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Lichtenstein posted:

Probably somewhat overpriced, but really quite neat. The scenario changes are both of the variety/fix and difficulty variety and mostly straightforward to sort out the two (encounter cards for difficulty, locations, agendas et al probably for variety). The boxes, while welcome for providing nice index cards for sorting the cards have quite a bit of empty space, with the understandably short Night of the Zealot bordering on ridiculous.

Both of my boxes are full. Buy more expansions and scenarios

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The Blob That Ate Everything.

2019 Gencon event.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Xlorp posted:

I've gotten two coworkers hooked with 1-2 sessions per month.

Did Night of the Zealot to teach the newbie
(New - Roland, Grognard - Daisy, Me - Jenny)

Solidly into Dunwich now; ran Blood on the Altar tonight. This is a cold campaign run for all three of us. Worth it for making us sweat the decisions.
(New - Zoey, Grognard - Rex, Me - Sefina)

The nicest people become so heartless when the alternative is risking a trauma to their own investigator.
Will try to get them out of color comfort-zones for Carcosa.

We ran Undimensioned and Unseen this week. There was a decision point where we were all pretty close to being defeated, and they voted to go for all the marbles instead of resigning. We finessed it without losing anyone, but they're really nervous about the final two scenarios given how hard we almost got smacked. I give them the encounter set names of the next scenario ahead of time so they can anticipate some old friends. I just have to say the words "Ancient Evils" or "Sorcery" and they're in the proper mood of doom and gloom.

Scavenging and Acidic Ichor are one heck of a combo in general. Like Rex needs any more help...

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Xlorp posted:

We ran Undimensioned and Unseen this week. There was a decision point where we were all pretty close to being defeated, and they voted to go for all the marbles instead of resigning. We finessed it without losing anyone, but they're really nervous about the final two scenarios given how hard we almost got smacked. I give them the encounter set names of the next scenario ahead of time so they can anticipate some old friends. I just have to say the words "Ancient Evils" or "Sorcery" and they're in the proper mood of doom and gloom.

Scavenging and Acidic Ichor are one heck of a combo in general. Like Rex needs any more help...

How does Rex discard Acidic Ichor from play? Or are you only using it as a skill card?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

How does Rex discard Acidic Ichor from play? Or are you only using it as a skill card?
I looked that up just now as we never thought to check, and unslotted assets cannot be discarded unless specifically instructed. It doesn't use a hand slot.
That sounds like a good rule to avert making anyone a relentless grenadier.

He does have 2 acidic ichors in his deck, but no other disposable assets, so I'll have him adaptible out his scavenging from his splash cards. It didn't change the outcome as we needed his final actions to do things with clues while Zoey and Sefina did the final needful.

Edit: I remember part of his original logic. He is paranoid about deck milling effects and this would work then if the card got milled and he wanted his combat comfort blanket back.

Xlorp fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 23, 2019

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Just finished The Forgotten Age campaign, finally. Ursula, Wendy, and Leo. Overall thoughts: pretty good, not as good as Carcosa. It was pretty hard in the beginning, but we did ok, and ended up getting an enormous amount of experience throughout the whole campaign. Turning into a Yithian was fun. We went for the "forging our own path" way, and in the "last" scenario we went for the "good ending" and proceeded to the super secret 9th scenario. Unfortunately, we went into the Yig fight somewhat unprepared (we didn't know what was going to happen when we turned in those last clues) and got some truly colossally bad chaos token draws. It all came down to the last turn where we had to have Leo drag some of the monsters away and commit suicide with them, Wendy had to evade the Harbinger, evade Yig, and play Sneak Attack, and then Ursula had to drop two clues on Yig for the last six damage. Unfortunately, Wendy got auto-fail on the Harbinger evasion, and she has Alert, so Wendy died, and then Ursula couldn't damage Yig and we doomed out. And, of course, that was after the previous turn when we also could have won but auto-failed two key rolls. RIP the universe, the timeline is shattered forever.

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
I'm a new player. We just played our first scenario of NotZ on standard difficulty. My partner made it out via a resign and I got knocked out. I had a blast.

We're coming off of Gloomhaven- we don't mind getting killed, but just to check: Does that sound about right for a first playthrough?

I would guess the first scenario is easier than the other 2.. so should we expect to not make it out of most scenarios alive? Or is there a noticeable learning curve?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
There's a learning curve, yeah. There's a lot to be learned about how to build a deck.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Woodstock posted:

I'm a new player. We just played our first scenario of NotZ on standard difficulty. My partner made it out via a resign and I got knocked out. I had a blast.

We're coming off of Gloomhaven- we don't mind getting killed, but just to check: Does that sound about right for a first playthrough?

I would guess the first scenario is easier than the other 2.. so should we expect to not make it out of most scenarios alive? Or is there a noticeable learning curve?

I think that the third scenario is like incredibly hard on purpose just to make people think that the base game is not too easy.

Having all of the non-parley/dead cultists from scenario 2 spawn in 3 is a real punch in the dick right before the boss fight.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Are the standalones (the new good ones - Labrynths of Lunacy and Guardians of the Abyss, not Rougarou and Carnival of Souls) intended to be played with 0 XP on an investigator, or slotted in between adventures on a team with a few upgrades?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

You'd best not be insinuating that Carnivale is bad, them's fightin' words.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

You'd best not be insinuating that Carnivale is bad, them's fightin' words.

I don't own it, but I did play Rougarou and found it very, very poorly thought out and designed compared to what our gang was playing at the time (working through Dunwich). I don't hold that against them, Rougarou was designed waaaay back with the core set with some very different assumptions about how the game would play out, but it was not fun or good IMO. I assume Carnival of Souls is similarly primitive, if not bad. Happy to be wrong, though!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Carnivale is awesome. And don't play them at 0xp, play them at 19xp and take the extra weakness.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Plavski posted:

Carnivale is awesome. And don't play them at 0xp, play them at 19xp and take the extra weakness.

Ah see we played Rougarou at like 7 XP two games in to Dunwich, so maybe we were severely underpowered.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Ah see we played Rougarou at like 7 XP two games in to Dunwich, so maybe we were severely underpowered.

You were. 19 xp and an extra weakness is pretty normal for both scenarios. I'll usually do them after three scenarios at the earliest.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The difficulty with the standalones comes mainly from the bag. If you play it mid campaign it's substantially easier due to the friendlier bag state.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/6/3/the-dream-eaters/

And it's off to the Dreamlands we go! I'm very excited!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Plavski posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/6/3/the-dream-eaters/

And it's off to the Dreamlands we go! I'm very excited!

this looks sick

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

This is great, the Dreamlands was my favorite Eldritch Horror expac and it's my favorite Lovecraft setting, not that I've really been exposed to many outside of various games.

Also, a Mystic with built-in movement is pretty interesting.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Has anyone had experience with running multiple campaigns in parallel using a shared card pool?

We've got one 4-player campaign going and we'd like to start a second one - with some different players playing a different cycle - but we don't want to have to deconstruct and reconstruct player decks before every session. How much extra stuff will we need to be able to run eight player decks without having to proxy entire decks? Would it be enough for someone to contribute a third and maybe fourth core set, or are we likely to find there're expansion cards that are so in demand that the two groups end up fighting over them?

The plan would be for the two campaigns to play disjoint sets of investigators, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

You’re likely to need a lot of sets double.