Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ramsey is like widely known to be a loving nutcase though like... I don't remember if this was in the show or not but he locked his last wife up in a tower to starve to death so he'd inherit her title. Basically everyone knew it and talked about finding her with bloody finger nubs from clawing at the stone walls but there was no Ned Stark to step in and go 'hey wtf.'

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah it really owns how book LF (at this point Lord Paramount of the Riverlands) sets up Sansa to be Lady of the Vale with a claim to the North and he establishes control in the Vale and then it is heavily implied they are both going to off Robin Arryn when the time is right. Like they're basically going to power move on three whole kingdoms.

Show LF takes her to Winterfell and marries her to Ramsay, known insane person, for literally nothing in return and then she kills him for it. In the meantime there is no one at the Vale so Robin grows up and just rules as expected.

:v:

Don't forget that show LF gets outplayed by the weakest, most obvious scheme of two sisters pretending to hate each other. Yeah, so believable that a brilliant, gifted schemer, the former Master of Coin of the entire realm with his hands in every pocket and ears in every alleyway, who owns every brothel in King's Landing and spent much of his life killing his way up the monarchy and literally started a war to realize his ambitions, is tricked by a couple teenagers putting on a fake sibling's feud. :rolleyes:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 23, 2019

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If by some miracle Gurm lives to finish the books and they are actually good, HBO should hire a new cast to do the whole series over, but just superimpose them over the original footage like in Kung Pow

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

If by some miracle Gurm lives to finish the books and they are actually good, HBO should hire a new cast to do the whole series over, but just superimpose them over the original footage like in Kung Pow

Aweeeaweeeeeaweeeee!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Sinteres posted:

I don't really buy the idea that Jon would have lost his claim because of queenslaying or kinslaying. He had the superior claim to start with, so it doesn't matter what he did to her, because she was a rebel against his lawful authority. Obviously she wouldn't see it that way, and there's the small matter of him having sworn fealty to her, but hey she just burned down a loving city, so if the Unsullied hadn't been there to force the issue, the other lords wouldn't have given a poo poo. Targaryens got a pass on kinfucking, so people could probably overlook the kinslaying thing too, especially since there's precedent for Targs killing each other in a succession battle.

The problem is that Jon is Ned's kid (even if he's not really). He's honorable to a fault. He wouldn't see himself as blameless.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Who cares about new content, this needs to be done now

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

redgubbinz posted:

Good point, I'm on my phone but can anyone else do a proof of concept? Just figure out the best GoT scene to insert this audio into:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz1rjq5emKY

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I can't take this shot seriously since it looks like those wings spray-painted on walls.

If the last season hadnt sucked total nuts this shot would have been really cool tbh

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

sweet thursday posted:

Why didnt anyone tell that to Tyrion, the smartest smartman who ever thought a smart or had a cleverthink in his life. You know, the guy who was smart enough to wrap up the entire show in a 5 minute speech at the end

From a few pages back but Varys literally told him that exact thing almost word for word

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm just glad Tyrion's brain came back into his head just in time to make sure everything's wrapped up in a neat little package

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

sweet thursday posted:

I'm just glad Tyrion's brain came back into his head just in time to make sure everything's wrapped up in a neat little package

Poor little bugger was going through alcohol withdrawal and only had the company of John Snow, a man who was somehow more charismatic as a corpse. He made Worf from star trek look positively merry.

MY QUEEN DUTY WINTER THRONE THE NORTH NIGHT KING HONOR DRAGONGLASS LOVE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This is actually how king bran was chosen:

https://i.imgur.com/w831Xdl.mp4

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

redgubbinz posted:

It reminds me of Mass Effect 3. They released a fun video game called Mass Effect 1, then a fun game called Mass Effect 2 that sort of starts showing cracks in the story towards the end, then for the big finale Mass Effect 3 was underwelming with a lot of few analogues to Game of Thrones (big bad from first game called Reapers got absolutely ruined, and you basically Arya them at the end by pressing 1 of 3 different colored buttons instead of fighting a boss or using your allied forces to defend humanity).

Then they released a spinoff a billion trillion light years away called Mass Effect Andromeda and because ME3 hosed up so hard people were largely uninterested from the start because they dropped the ball with the ending of 3 so hard. It also happened to suck dick but that hasn't stopped people before.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lol I gave up on Bioware a long time ago. RIP

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lovely Wizard posted:

It reminds me of Mass Effect 3. They released a fun video game called Mass Effect 1, then a fun game called Mass Effect 2 that sort of starts showing cracks in the story towards the end, then for the big finale Mass Effect 3 was underwelming with a lot of few analogues to Game of Thrones (big bad from first game called Reapers got absolutely ruined, and you basically Arya them at the end by pressing 1 of 3 different colored buttons instead of fighting a boss or using your allied forces to defend humanity).

Then they released a spinoff a billion trillion light years away called Mass Effect Andromeda and because ME3 hosed up so hard people were largely uninterested from the start because they dropped the ball with the ending of 3 so hard. It also happened to suck dick but that hasn't stopped people before.

yeah ME3 was mostly good except for the ending which could have possibly been alright with a few tweaks. And I bet Andromeda is just as good as ME3 with better gunplay mechanics but I have absolutely zero interest in exploring that setting anymore. 3 ruined any interest

for example who gives a poo poo about the night kings origin or any of that lore anymore now that its known they can get completely destroyed with a little knife? I was interested in finding out more about those guys, seems like fertile ground for a spin off, finding out who all his Generals were... but knowing how it all ends, gently caress that

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Sinteres posted:

I don't really buy the idea that Jon would have lost his claim because of queenslaying or kinslaying. He had the superior claim to start with, so it doesn't matter what he did to her, because she was a rebel against his lawful authority. Obviously she wouldn't see it that way, and there's the small matter of him having sworn fealty to her, but hey she just burned down a loving city, so if the Unsullied hadn't been there to force the issue, the other lords wouldn't have given a poo poo. Targaryens got a pass on kinfucking, so people could probably overlook the kinslaying thing too, especially since there's precedent for Targs killing each other in a succession battle.

Hell Targaryens used to kill the poo poo out of each other all the time.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

We're talking in the framework of Season 1-4 when the show respected itself and its own setting. In that setting (and in the books) every noble *seriously* gave a poo poo about their traditions, from guest protection to royal succession, because those traditions were "the realm" that held everything together.

This show is seriously claiming to be presenting the ending of the books, so show stupidity aside we're just wondering "how" that can be where the books were headed. How in the smarter universe of the books (where everybody presumably can't throw their hands up in the air and say gently caress this show and its rules) could Bran possibly win and that be the ending it was heading towards. How do all the nobles decide that he either has a claim, or that the nobility class as a whole everywhere will suddenly stop caring about rules and traditions.

More to the point, a poster specifically mentioned that they thought "Bran had the best claim" which sparked a lot of puzzled looks. It's just in response to that.

That was me, and I guess my post about it got lost in the shuffle. I can repost it if you want, and I noted in it that it was complete guessing. It was mostly just a fun exercise in 'if D&D followed the ending that GRRM wrote for them (in broad strokes ie. bran is on the throne, dany dead, Jon exiled), what does that look like/how does that work in a world where we care about these things'. It seemed more fun than going around the discussion of how the show went bad etc.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

mass effect 3 is a good game if you just pretend the whole game takes place oh tuchanka and ends when the thresher maw takes down the reaper. in this sense it's a lot like game of thrones, which also started strong and blew its wad 1/3 of the way in

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The writing got worse and the game play got better as the ME series went on, however ME2 was the best since it had Zaeed in it. I honestly don't even remember the series ending other than 'you can pick a color, now buy more DLC'

E: I am so sorry for continuing video game chat, but if you like terrible writing hoo boy do we have such wonders to show you

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 23, 2019

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Like got they could have made a bespoke new series but they are going to the dumbfuck prequel well.

Mass effect could have gone to a solar system level rebuild story

Got could have gone to a Bran dead, who wins the vote political intrigue battle.

In other words. Both had a soft reboot staring them in the face. A back to the original magic chance. And just what themselves for some bullshit

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 23, 2019

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Game of Thrones: Andromeda

A girl has no face, but if she did, it would be tired.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I still really think Gendry was clearly the choice that made the most sense, particularly since it would allow everyone to say 'well those Targaryens were never legitimate contenders in the first place because the Baratheons were already the ruling dynasty, so let's just put all that bullshit behind us,' but also because he seemed to be a choice both the nobles and commoners could go for. Of course the fact that he had no ruling experience whatsoever, no particular ambition to take over, and that he was only newly legitimized as a noble at all makes it plausible that he'd be passed over, but as stories go, his wasn't the worst. I personally thought it would be interesting if he was forced to marry Sansa to unite the realm, but ymmv on that one.

I can't help wondering if GRRM got pissy about everyone figuring out R+L=J and decided to write an ending nobody would ever guess, because there's nothing about the story in the books so far or in the show before that episode that indicated Bran would be a reasonable choice to be king. The books always had twists of course, with the Red Wedding being probably the biggest one, but the thing about those twists is that there was generally at least something leading up to it so you could go oh hey that didn't just come out of nowhere. Maybe in the alternate universe where GRRM actually finishes the books there will be more hints written in before that scene, or maybe he'll actually go with Gendry now that everyone hates this ending, but the lack of a character arc that put Bran in that spot is an even bigger failing to me than Dany's sudden heel turn.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Torchlighter posted:

That was me, and I guess my post about it got lost in the shuffle. I can repost it if you want, and I noted in it that it was complete guessing. It was mostly just a fun exercise in 'if D&D followed the ending that GRRM wrote for them (in broad strokes ie. bran is on the throne, dany dead, Jon exiled), what does that look like/how does that work in a world where we care about these things'. It seemed more fun than going around the discussion of how the show went bad etc.

I know, I saw your post, I just didn't find it very compelling. The situation might as well be "everyone else on the entire continent is dead but Bran" and that's why it falls all the way down to him. Even if that's true it's terrible storytelling.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Disregarding whatever "technically possible" scenario that Bran is chosen as the best claimant... if this situation happened in the real setting of the books, Jon would be thrown on a throne instantly because his near total popularity could not be ignored. His extremely strong claim would solidify it (which everyone knows about by now, according to Varys).

No one would give a poo poo about the exile, they'd go pull him back in whether he wants the throne or not. He's such an obvious choice that they wouldn't take no for an answer. I'm sure there's plenty of precedent throughout history of reluctant rulers who are forcibly kept in place by the nobility for stability reasons. Everyone would also immediately realize that the exile makes no sense, seeing as the entire north is an independent state now and Sansa's not keen to enforce it. It's Ebert's "idiot plot" category, a plot that could be resolved in five minutes if every character in the story were not a complete idiot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theyd also want Jon on the throne because he is the only ruler with a connection to the newly available areas north of the wall to the point of being semi-leader. Put him on the throne that territory is either added to the kingdom or at least isnt actively hostile.

Exile Jon there and uh you just created an alliance between Jon and his wildling supporters and Sansa against a devestated southern region with an idiot king on the throne.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I know, I saw your post, I just didn't find it very compelling. The situation might as well be "everyone else on the entire continent is dead but Bran" and that's why it falls all the way down to him. Even if that's true it's terrible storytelling.

ehh, fair enough, I ain't here to defend anything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The mass effect 3 comparison is apt because the entire game is littered with problems that tend to get overlooked because of strong character moments and everyone agrees the ending sucks. The game also had the same problem of the overpowered enemy writing the showrunners into a corner because there's no way to stand up to the reapers or zombies regularly so they need a lynchpin to Deus ex machina the whole thing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you draw the comparison that EA:DnD::bioware:GRRM I could see it? If I recall correctly, the game was super rushed like 100% of EA games?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Wouldn't Jon have lost his claim via his original oath to the Night's Watch?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I think the idea was he was released from his oath when he died and got better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Amarcarts posted:

Wouldn't Jon have lost his claim via his original oath to the Night's Watch?

He might have but it wont matter at the kingsmoot because a) Jon is a lord of his own making and whatever claims he gave up is irrelevant versus his current defacto standing and b) the Nights Watch is no longer needed; itd be extremely easy to argue that since a is true Jon can force b to be true.

Its a thing that has, unsurprisngly, happened historically. Turns out oaths dont mean poo poo when your words are backed up by military might.

The whole kingsmoot scene is dumb as gently caress.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think the idea was he was released from his oath when he died and got better.

I'd have to go back and watch to see how explicitly this was covered.

Barudak posted:

b) the Nights Watch is no longer needed; itd be extremely easy to argue that since a is true Jon can force b to be true.

This is not true. The Watch is not there only for the undead. There are still Snarks and Grumpkins and pale spiders and that sort of thing.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol that they didn't want to pay kit for a speaking scene at the council

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

It’s a shame because the gameplay and combat in ME Andromeda is pretty solid (I only played the patched version so can’t comment on how broken poo poo might have been at first). As for the story, the concept was good but the execution was lacking.

Not to mention a whole new galaxy and we only saw two new civilisations?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One civilization and the mutates offspring of said civilization. Unless you were referring to the Kett/Angara as one culture and the big robot worms as the second culture.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sinteres posted:

Exiling Jon and electing Bran was actually just a show they put on to satisfy the unsullied and the dothraki so they would leave. Jon obviously has the best claim and was raised by one of the least hated noblemen, they totes want him as king, but if they said that they'd have to fight another war with Dany's remaining forces. Once those guys are safely back in easteros Jon can be king, because the dothraki sure as hell won't cross the bitter water a third time.

Unfortunately they forgot to tell Jon the whole plan so he hosed off instead of waiting the next town over. :shrug:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I've decided that the best character on the show was The Hound

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
was there a gay character? I don't actually remember but I think there were tumblr gifs a while back of, I'm going to say, nipple waxing?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Supreme Allah posted:

I've decided that the best character on the show was The Hound

it's true. also this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t3OrvYGE5U&t=35s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBKyLjvrmg8&t=47s

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

was there a gay character? I don't actually remember but I think there were tumblr gifs a while back of, I'm going to say, nipple waxing?

They can all be gay if you want them to be. Thats the magic of poo poo writing, your fanfic is just as good.