Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Average Bear posted:

Basically you lose stats and traits until you become a dying infirm vegetable. Devil societies actually kinda suck.

This came up in my discord today because people were asking why I never became a satan if I hated them so loving much (it's one of the hot buttons they press when they want to see me rant for a while), and I more or less went into detail of this statement. Demon worshipping societies are great for when you need to make big, radical changes or break out, but that's not where a player is for the majority of their playtime. You can really shake up the status quo with tainted touch, kidnapping powers, and massive networks of assassins at the top tier of the society, but that's like, 20 years at the start of the game and maybe another 20 a few hundred years in as you break into a new area to found a second empire title or something. Beyond that your concerns are making a strong dynasty and having a stable realm, which being a satan does not help and actively harms in a couple of ways by damaging your ruler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yea, I'm not liking the Umayyads having an empire title, either. In a 769 start, they took half of Aquitaine and owned all of northwestern Africa, all the way to Egypt and both corridors down to Mali by 850. They also took a vassal off of me(Wales, owned everything but Scotland and half of mumu) who owned Westmeath and Brittany. Then they took Mumu. In fairness to them, I should've taken mumu ages ago but was hoping my vassals would do it and focusing on seemingly more important matters.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 22, 2019

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Best Friends posted:

There's only three religions in the game that allow close kin incest and they're all fairly hard to just stumble into. If by chance you are playing Zoroastrianism by accident, you can easily do what the Persians actually did in history and convert to Islam, which will also have the benefit of making the survival and expansion of your realm easier.

If you're in a randomized world and you accidentally picked a close kin marrying religion, converting may be harder. Or easier. One of those.

I had the idea to install a bunch of workshop mods for this play-through. So I installed an ancient religions mod and decided to go with Pagan Egyptian so I could literally be Pharaoh of Egypt. The ancient religions mod author apparently made all of them close kin incest. I've actually been going through the religions definitions file and scraping out every reference to "divine marriage" I can find. It's never enough, though.

binge crotching posted:

That should probably be negative fertility, since I can't imagine having your balls crushed helps with pumping out kids.

He's also got the cruel trait! So dude ain't the one doing the crushing. :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Incest is a regular symptom of monarchism.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Have there been any mods to expand on Random Worlds? The only one I have is the "Only Animal Kingdoms" mod. I generally run the Suez canal mod for those games so if India does look interesting I'm not completely detached from the world.

You can just choose "Animal World" in settings if you want only animals and no humans, no mod required. Unless the mod adds additional animals or extra stuff. Suez canal sounds kind of fun. I like random/shattered worlds at first but I tend to get bored with them pretty quickly and just go back to the normal maps, even though I'm also sort of bored with those too at this point. Smaller mods seem like they'd be a good idea for me, I liked CK2+ and HIP back in the day, but I'm not really into major overhauls anymore.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Whoa what's this about animal worlds? Is that really a thing? I can be a lion? I don't want to be a tiger, tigers play too rough.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Even better, you can be a cat.

It's a somewhat hidden setting in shattered or random worlds. I think it's under Culture, if you just keep clicking next it'll go to Animal Kingdom (mix of animals and humans) and Animal World (all animals, humans extinct). I think each animal group has a special trait.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ok, so now interesting things are happening! I’m redoing the Ireland start and sort of following the out-of-date Arumba tutorial. So far I married a master spy and replaced my old spymaster with her who happened to be my son. He got mad and plotted to kill me. I said “son don’t kill me” and he went “you’ve got a good point.” Shortly after that I go to his wife/my daughter in laws bed chamber and bang her and now she’s pregnant. Hahahahaha! I’m going to remove my scheming rear end in a top hat son from inheritance and replace him with the fruit of my affair with his wife!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

I had the idea to install a bunch of workshop mods for this play-through. So I installed an ancient religions mod and decided to go with Pagan Egyptian so I could literally be Pharaoh of Egypt. The ancient religions mod author apparently made all of them close kin incest. I've actually been going through the religions definitions file and scraping out every reference to "divine marriage" I can find. It's never enough, though.

Oh, got it. Though for what it's worth, that is pretty accurate for ancient Egyptian ruler marriage practices.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Ok, so now interesting things are happening! I’m redoing the Ireland start and sort of following the out-of-date Arumba tutorial. So far I married a master spy and replaced my old spymaster with her who happened to be my son. He got mad and plotted to kill me. I said “son don’t kill me” and he went “you’ve got a good point.” Shortly after that I go to his wife/my daughter in laws bed chamber and bang her and now she’s pregnant. Hahahahaha! I’m going to remove my scheming rear end in a top hat son from inheritance and replace him with the fruit of my affair with his wife!

im glad to see you have grasped the core concept of the game

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
For my fellow incest haters, if you reform the Bon religion, their unique doctrine forbids close kin marriage, and cousin marriage.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Coolguye posted:

im glad to see you have grasped the core concept of the game

Most games I try not to be the "bad guy" but here I'm just kinda taking every opportunity to play a deranged lunatic who bangs everyone and spends the kingdom into sadness.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Speaking of, Queen Deidre's son converted to Waldensian mainly just because the option came up and gently caress the Catholic Church. Gave me the choice of potentially declaring holy war on France for a chunk of their territory. Of course the game is also prompting me "This will probably draw in any nearby scumsucking Catholics to fight you" which means the HRE pushing my poo poo in. And then the king dropped dead of Black Death which is now a thing in my capital and the neighboring counties. Whoops.

Luckily his son is also a dirty heretic so the warmongering option is still there, if I want it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Argilac the Arrogant keeps trying to kill my dragon. With less then stellar results. Maybe don't try it the third time?

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Speaking of the Game of Thrones mod, I can't get it to run. I downloaded the latest installer from the mod's website and checked the box in the mod section on the launcher. I click launch and nothing happens. This is my first total conversion mod, am I missing something?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Commissar Canuck posted:

Speaking of the Game of Thrones mod, I can't get it to run. I downloaded the latest installer from the mod's website and checked the box in the mod section on the launcher. I click launch and nothing happens. This is my first total conversion mod, am I missing something?

I had the same issue and the problem I ran into was that I actually didn't use the latest version of the mod. I can confirm it does work, however. When I googled the mod, the version that came up linked to a version on their forum that was a couple of iterations old. Double check their forum and make sure you're using the latest "new version" post and link from said post. Beyond that, I am unsure.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't know any good 1066 starts since I like the pagan element from the early game.

Duke of Verona in North East Italy. He is almost all the way to the requirements for form the Kingdom of Carinthia (maybe all but the money?) and then you are a big enough fish to start messing around both within and outside the HRE. The crusades are pretty close and you can get after muslims in southern Italy or North Africa. Don't get elected Emperor though, the seniority inheritance after you die sucks.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 23, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How do crusades work from a gameplay perspective? Do I just raise my levies, pick a side, and commit my forces to the little war icon at the bottom right? Or is there a separate system for those magics?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It's basically the same as other wars, except you have to tell your religious head that you'll be joining in. They'll typically expect you to do so, and will get pissy if you don't. "Joining in" doesn't necessarily mean contributing. I'm pretty sure you can just send your retinue over to the beachhead and hang out until it's done and everyone can go home. Don't forget to rotate in every commander in your realm to share the "Crusader" trait.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DoubleNegative posted:

It's basically the same as other wars, except you have to tell your religious head that you'll be joining in. They'll typically expect you to do so, and will get pissy if you don't. "Joining in" doesn't necessarily mean contributing. I'm pretty sure you can just send your retinue over to the beachhead and hang out until it's done and everyone can go home. Don't forget to rotate in every commander in your realm to share the "Crusader" trait.

Oh shnap, didn't realize I could just hang out in left field while the big boys play ball. It's like school all over again! Time to go Crusading!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
But you really want to contribute. You get a share of the piety, prestige, and actually importantly, MONEY depending on your war score contributions. If you're still weak, get to a province before your allies do so you get credit for the siege when they support you.

You can end up with like 20k gold from just doing a bit of work.

Oh and don't forget to give yourself and everyone important command of your crusading army while it's in the holy land. Everyone gets the Crusader trait just for showing up for a day in the army.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Average Bear posted:

But you really want to contribute. You get a share of the piety, prestige, and actually importantly, MONEY depending on your war score contributions. If you're still weak, get to a province before your allies do so you get credit for the siege when they support you.

You can end up with like 20k gold from just doing a bit of work.

Oh and don't forget to give yourself and everyone important command of your crusading army while it's in the holy land. Everyone gets the Crusader trait just for showing up for a day in the army.

You can get told amounts in the thousands? I've never had more than 100 gold so I had no idea I could be so rich. I want to be rich.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Results not typical. It’s entirely possible to game it like that but it requires a very engaged catholic world (which isn’t always true, especially if you started in 769) and really good reactions and luck on your part to get your troopers to targets before the rest of the crusaders show up.

That said even in the worst case, you get Crusader out of the mix, which is a very valuable trait, especially for the nothing it costs you to get.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

without crusade money i never could have built the Great Pyramid of Dublin

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So, there will be a pop-up that will pause the game with a message from the Pope about crusades, you have two choices, pledge your army or pledge money. If you chose money accidentally, fear not, you can join in the crusade tab, which is a banner under your portrait.

If you know you'll win the crusade, contribute the biggest donation you can to the war chest, to cancel out the hate from your next move.

In the crusade tab, in the top left corner, there will be a recipient. There you choose select recipient and you'll get a pop-up with choices, "I will let my recipient have my titles", "i will let the Pope decide(which if he has someone in mind to rule, it will go to them, if not it the titles will go to the person with the highest contribution to the war score.)", and "why would I give away MY titles??" You always pick the last, unless you dont want to expand.

The proper way to crusade, since you'll probably have to sail there, is about a year before the war starts, raise your levies and group them all together, then get your fleets together and sail off to the closest coast and wait. Bear in mind, that the crusade will target a specific kingdom and that's where you want to be. Don't put your ruler in the army yet, you dont want to risk scurvy.

A week or so before the crusade starts, plop your troops ashore, so that their morale has time to build before the war begins. Once the war starts, start chewing up the bigger armies you can find before they can stack. Once they've stacked up or other rulers start showing up, gently caress the enemy armies, start sieging every county in the disputed kingdom. Your first priority is to siege the kingdom Capitol completely, then the top layer of every county, then afterwards start sieging down the remaining holdings until the war score is around 85-90%. Since you've got a shitload of war score, allied units will start attaching to your army and you'll have a shitload of dudes. If you have a big army or a lot of people attached, you should be bumrushing the sieges(little sword icon on the county pane). Once that score is 85-90%, if you hold the majority of the counties in the kingdom, start killing their armies or trying to lure their armies into attacking people sieging the counties you dont own, so the ai armies scatter and you lead the siege.

If you dont lead the siege, do not stay in that county, or you are helping the AI take your poo poo. Leave ASAP or the AI will bumrush the sieges. I hope that goes without saying, but just in case.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Also, a good secondary goal if you don’t want the target kingdom of the crusade is to carve out a crusader state. Capture the entirety of a duchy and you’ll get the option (in the character menu? The title menu? Decisions? I don’t remember) it’ll give you the option to create a new crusader state in that duchy. And then if the crusade succeeds, you’ll have a nice ally nearby too.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I always forget about that option. I'm gonna have to try it one of these days.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

...and the Plague kills the current king at 29, leaving me with a 12 year old. I am unsure what to do about this, the game won't let me switch capitals out of infected Dublin ("You are not allowed to change capitals for 600 days"), I don't seem to have any option to put the king into seclusion. Not sure if that's something I just don't get in vanilla or what.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Unfortunately that's a reaper's due perk. You're gonna have to ride this one out and hope for the best. If ya feel like being scummy, next time your ruler dies of an illness(or in combat) you cant alt+for and reload and the sickness might not trigger. I managed to use that to squeeze out an heir on a 14 year old with cancer.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Pretty sure alt f4 saves before closing so use task manager.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I can confirm that it does not.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
That's EU4 then.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I just checked and yeah it does save; EU4 doesn't.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Various Meat Products posted:

I just checked and yeah it does save; EU4 doesn't.

I guess ymmv, because it sure as poo poo doesn't save for me.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

My court is so gay right now

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So far I'm trying to turn every court into a devil worshipping erotica fest. It should be a constant rotation of Eyes Wide Shut parties.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Monastic orders are fuckin great, I went full on fascist and used the monastic order to remove my sins. Managed to reshape my kingdom and keep a pretty decent opinion of me.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Well, the plague eventually passed and managed to not kill my last two possible heirs, so good. I kind of have England whittled down to manageable size by this point (I believe I have 72% of the Empire of Britannia requirement). Other than that, my only over overarching goal here is to enact women's suffrage and get a step over the rest of the world's plebs who *aren't* fielding all of those 20 stat ladies to their council. Unfortunately no amount of hiring Basque tutors for my kids ever converts them, and I can't ever seem to find a Basque spouse when I'd actually need to marry someone.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I should not be forming additional kingdoms if I have Gavelkind because otherwise some dipshit is gonna make off with half my poo poo, right? I have Georgia and I'm working on Alania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Oh my, trade posts and mercenaries are so overpowered. I have one incomplete kingdom and I could still beat Seljuk when he appeared on my doorstep (200 years early). There is also Ghaznavid, but for some reason he stopped conquering stuff after the initial conquest and he just sits on top of his event spawned troops :shrug:

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 24, 2019