Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Clear the path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Clear the path We mustn't linger a moment more than necessary, lest we exhaust the laudanum supply.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

paragon1 posted:

Clear the path We mustn't linger a moment more than necessary, lest we exhaust the laudanum supply.

I like this line of thinking. The spice laudanum must flow.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

FriskyBoat posted:

If we wait, we can get some other sucker to move the rocks for us!

:hmmyes: They fell into the way, they can fall out of the way!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Uh, I don't think waiting is a particularly wise course of action. I want to say that we should try another path, but I have a sneaking suspicion that would involve Salt Lake City. So we should try to move the rocks ourselves.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Look around for another path? Clearing rocks sounds like a ton of work.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Clear the path

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Surely we can find a way around some fallen rocks? Find another path.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chew 'em up, an' spit 'em out. Clear those rocks away.

Oh and the history is very interesting. Thank you for providing it. :)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Vavrek posted:

Look around for another path? Clearing rocks sounds like a ton of work.

You know who ELSE tried to find another pass? That's right, Hilter! the Donner Party!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Just continue over the rocks :killdozer:

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Wait for time's natural erosion process to do its work.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Every single method fails. I'm not kidding. All of them.

Our only option is to sit and wait. After a week, another group of emigrants arrives and clears the trail.

We don't even make it another mile before our wagon tongue breaks. Repairing it fails, forcing us to replace it from supplies. If we can't get any more replacement parts before this happens again, we'll likely need to trade for a new part.

We get another route here. The Sublette Cutoff will shave about 85 miles and 7 days off the route (making up for the time we lost waiting on the path), but it requires us to cross about 45 miles of sandy desert with few or no sources of water.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Wow, we're utterly useless. How do you even fail at picking up rocks and putting them down somewhere else. We have oxen for the big ones. Sheesh.

Keep going to Fort Hall, we need to resupply.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Our luck will not desert us!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Take the cutoff We gotta make up the time we lost being defeated by rocks.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Keep following the proper path, you'll get dessert instead.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To Fort Hall.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

We're like, a state and a half away from our goal and it isn't July yet. No shortcuts, to Fort Hall we go!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yeah, stay away from deserts until we can buy some water or something.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Continue to Fort Hall.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Ft Hall

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Fort Hall

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:emptyquote:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Black Robe posted:

Wow, we're utterly useless. How do you even fail at picking up rocks and putting them down somewhere else. We have oxen for the big ones. Sheesh.

Keep going to Fort Hall, we need to resupply.

I like to imagine the entire wagon party shouting and arguing about different ways of dealing with the pile of rocks. By the time the next wagon arrived, our party is sullenly not speaking to each other any more.

Take the Road to Fort Hall. I don't trust us in the desert and don't we completely lack good water vessels?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vavrek posted:

I like to imagine the entire wagon party shouting and arguing about different ways of dealing with the pile of rocks. By the time the next wagon arrived, our party is sullenly not speaking to each other any more.
Sounds very probable.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Vavrek posted:

don't we completely lack good water vessels?

We have 9 oxen! :v:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, without water barrels, desert travel sounds like a very bad idea. On to Fort Hall!

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
As much as I want to continue to dispense terrible advice, I think there's a good chance for a TPK if we go to the desert without lots of water. So let's go to Fort Hall like big babies, I guess.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

At 6 feet deep, this is the most dangerous river we've ever encountered. We can always wait for conditions to improve if we're not confident crossing now, but that's not a guarantee.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
6 feet? Sounds like perfect Fording conditions to me!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Let's see who's around.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I reckon we should rock out and get the caulk out

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Lets Rest for a day or two and see if things get slightly less treacherous.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Let's check our Diary and see if we haven't missed any hints. Perhaps even write an entry praying to our Broken Lord of Misfortune Lowtax for safe crossing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Let's wait and let the global warming run its course.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't think we should try to cross it now. Wait for a day or two to see if conditions improve.

In fact, what is the "extremely treacherous" designation based upon? Is it solely river depth, or is it also dependent upon the weather or something else?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

UED Special Ops posted:

Lets Rest for a day or two and see if things get slightly less treacherous.

I’m on board with this plan.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Well, at least we aren't dying of thirst.

Wait. Rest up. Stare at the river. Grow ever more sullen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Will the river really change that much in a few days?

Float that chalk.