Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fun fact - if you have two different obstacles to overcome, both of which can be fulfilled by a permanent card like a skill or a hideout, you only have to submit it once

this means you can merge the highest trivially-amassed Secret Histories from the stag door with just a glimmering and morland's shop, into unresolved ambiguities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

fun fact - if you have two different obstacles to overcome, both of which can be fulfilled by a permanent card like a skill or a hideout, you only have to submit it once

this means you can merge the highest trivially-amassed Secret Histories from the stag door with just a glimmering and morland's shop, into unresolved ambiguities

wait, I thought they had to be separately fulfilled

THAT'S why that research that got my winning lore still worked: I'd put in my old bookstore hideout for the first Erudition required, but a Fascination I was holding into got captured at the wrong drat moment. The research passed anyway, giving me what I needed to complete The Work

Cute! Feels like it makes that hideout and others like it more powerful than the others absolutely, but I haven't thought that all the way through yet

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think disposable cards are used up, but permacards stay. this may not in fact be intended behaviour

and yeah the one you don't need to get by doing an expedition is easily the best hideout if you do a lot of exploring and encounter a lot of curses and your rear end in a top hat idiot cultists can't succeed at a goddAMN 90% CHANCE IDIOTS. three minutes and basically all your verbs and you have enough heart influence to fend off anything but Nowhere

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gonna start a new game tonight--a standard one I think, Forge cult pursuing Power, before I try any of the DLC or Apostle runs. Now that I have a good idea of what I actually need to do and what's just spinning plates for the sheer hell of it, could be fun to try to beat it faster.

(edit) mechanics spoiler i guess but lol

"god drat it ciaphas at least stop shaking before you try to Brand me :mad:"

sorry laidlaw :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 22, 2019

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I decided to try a Cult-less run. Still working on it, but only realised after buying out Morlands than I have no HQ because I have no Cult!

Going Power for ease of play. I guess Dancer is pretty doable though.

Edit : Also a Calgine ate a Reason on a failed summoning. I feel like a chump.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Gonna start a new game tonight--a standard one I think, Forge cult pursuing Power, before I try any of the DLC or Apostle runs. Now that I have a good idea of what I actually need to do and what's just spinning plates for the sheer hell of it, could be fun to try to beat it faster.

(edit) mechanics spoiler i guess but lol

"god drat it ciaphas at least stop shaking before you try to Brand me :mad:"

sorry laidlaw :(

Ugh why isn't your board layout exactly the same as mine this is awful

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Tylana posted:

I decided to try a Cult-less run. Still working on it, but only realised after buying out Morlands than I have no HQ because I have no Cult!

Going Power for ease of play. I guess Dancer is pretty doable though.

Edit : Also a Calgine ate a Reason on a failed summoning. I feel like a chump.

I've been bitten by summoning failures often enough that I without question shut them down with reason. The risk is just too high.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tylana posted:

How do you go about it? Exploration via summons and hirelings?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah. Can't get any prisoners though (I thiiiiink).

Map's Edge is more useful than Sunset, but you can also work commisions and use spinitrae as ingredients. And a Bomb Maker can fix things things (not sure about a summon though).

EDIT : I actually healed Hirelings. Had a 7 edge 2 knock guy, but welp, timers

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
After the last few runs, I don't think I can ever go back to non-Hydra cults. Everything else feels so slow in comparison.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Dancer start Moth cult is basically as fast since you get the free moth doll right at the start, and Viennese Conundra (6 moth lore book) is purchasable from Morland's.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well apostle starts give you a 12th-aspect lore :q:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Ciaphas posted:

Depending on which Lores you're trying to study, Study will ask to consume an Erudition, a Glimmering, a Fascination, or Health in various amounts; there are alternate methods such as upgraded Skills and various Headquarters, which aren't consumed. Failure to do so will return your Lores to you unchanged.

Yea no, none of that is in my game. I’m fully updated with perpetual edition

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tylana posted:

EDIT : I actually healed Hirelings. Had a 7 edge 2 knock guy, but welp, timers

I thought you could extend their contract with Talk > Funds? Or am I misremembering?

I was going to suggest you could use an Edge hireling to kidnap a stranger, but that requires a cult to give the instruction. Welp, no Spider Door for you. Or Lantern ascendance, I guess.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Palemdromes posted:

Yea no, none of that is in my game. I’m fully updated with perpetual edition

what platform? android/ios are behind pc by a few versions, i thought

e: duh, perpetual edition. welp, no clue

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Ugh why isn't your board layout exactly the same as mine this is awful

everyone else post your layouts so i may mock them for their inefficiency and lack of arcane sense

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also wowee zowee is exploration ever rear end when all you have are a few believers and one forge disciple

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Do follower aspects (or something else) affect generic Explore results? I could imagine something like Heart cultists leading to more hirelings but it doesn't seem to be that way?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

who you send out to explore, or what lore you talk about, matters not at all

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

who you send out to explore, or what lore you talk about, matters not at all

Thanks! As said, that's how it seemed but it's good to have a confirmation. A funny-if-feature-creepy concept would be different lores bringing hirelings/followers based on the "which cult do you belong in" chart posted way back.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

also wowee zowee is exploration ever rear end when all you have are a few believers and one forge disciple

There's a definite phase in the game between "unlocked all the verbs" and "gathered enough followers to actually tackle exploration".

I kind of wish the low-level vaults had lower requirements than the high-level ones, rather than just fewer distinct challenges. It makes all the various levels of vault feel pretty samey, up until you've got four challenges ahead and you need to scramble to get enough aspect and enough funds before those challenges come up.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is this the last major update planned? I'm at 130 hours played, and I'll probably pump another 50 into this after the 30th. I paid $15 or whatever it was for the Perpetual Edition when it came out, and oh man has it been worth it.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Theresa is rad and it's a shame she only does one thing. Maybe she can be the main character of the upcoming library game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The biggest time sink in the game is my utterly idiotic need of having no gaps in my lore matrix.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
This did not quite go as planned:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Cult-free run update : Got a Port Noon Anecdote. Got the one place that doesn't give Rite Intercalate. Bah.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Ragnar34 posted:

Theresa is rad and it's a shame she only does one thing. Maybe she can be the main character of the upcoming library game.

I made an early joke on CS' twitter when they announced Library Game that Teresa should be one of the "problems" of the game, occasionally wafting in and rearranging a bunch of books according to a different History's organizational system.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe you can make your catalog system work with multiple histories at once. I wonder how much like Wilmot's Warehouse this game is going to be.

I get the feeling the new DLCs are going to make me want a streamlined mystique system more than ever. God, just remove the timer and let me stack them like money. Or give the mystique "deck" a timer so you lose one from the pile every couple minutes, I don't care. Paintings should not yield 17 cards. Has Weather Factory said anything about this?

I love this game so much and it's only getting better, but some elements are still unnecessary.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ragnar34 posted:

she signs her books, which you can arrange beneath your bookshop hq, and this is important

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

she signs her books, which you can arrange beneath your bookshop hq, and this is important

I never found Teresa and I need to remember to do that this game

I actually bought the iPad edition and tried it a little during lunch today. I don't think I actually like it much, it feels rather oddly difficult to control for what I thought was such a natural touch game.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 23, 2019

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I have no idea how it would work on a phone. The cards in Through the Ages are already too small, and you'd need way more cards onscreen at a time for this.

Can you keep the books after reading them if she signs them?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So the Steam achievements for Cultist Simulator updated, spoilers about victories below:

Looks like there's (assumedly minor) two victories for Knock (one for Mother of Ants and one for Mare-in-the-Tree), one for Winter (Elegiast), and one for Nowhere (Crowned Growth)

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Alright so I want to get back into this game for next week's DLC, but I never really got far at all. I founded my cult and tried to get further than that but I barely did. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Depends on the problem you're having. Do you keep dying, or do you not know what to do after a certain point?

e: And while we're at it, can anyone tell me why it keeps crashing on startup even after I update my PC and reinstall the game?

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 24, 2019

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

Depends on the problem you're having. Do you keep dying, or do you not know what to do after a certain point?

Not knowing what to do. I do like having to discover things but I really need some hints.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Have you found Morland's? How about Way: The Wood? The White Door?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The LP being run of it https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888951 might help you understand what you are trying to do. Later at least, if not yet.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I can't get past the Weather Factory opening screen anymore, though I was playing it this morning. I think it crashes when it tries to load the main menu. Maybe it's the new achievements? Is that even possible? But I've updated my PC, reinstalled the game, verified the problem isn't Unity by loading another Unity game (I've had that problem before) and now I'm out of ideas. I'm about to submit a bug report but is there anything else I should try?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

Have you found Morland's? How about Way: The Wood? The White Door?
I found Morland's and I think Way: The Wood The White Door was where I got stuck.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Try dreaming with different lore of 4 or higher, unless you haven't found any ways, in which case you'll want to dream with passion and other forms of lore.