Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Jaxyon posted:

I don't know about Riverside, but the LAPD gets so frustrated with the homeless they just shoot them. Your guy was probably frustrated he couldn't just turn a firehose on them like back in the day.

I'm honestly curious what the right response in that situation is. It's literally beyond the range of things I've ever had to deal with. I hear my daughters scream outside, I rush out there with adrenaline already pumping and there's a dude not 10 feet from them just making GBS threads in our yard. I grabbed them, and pulled them inside as I screamed at him and called the cops immediately. No one was physically hurt, thankfully, but it did really freak the two of them out and has led to a few more issues with them.

What it does leave me with is anger. And that's what I was trying to get at with my previous post. I don't think city council members CAN do anything about this, but I do know that more and more people are starting to get really angry. The obsession in Riverside with the homeless I think is just one of the manifestations of this building anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm honestly curious what the right response in that situation is. It's literally beyond the range of things I've ever had to deal with. I hear my daughters scream outside, I rush out there with adrenaline already pumping and there's a dude not 10 feet from them just making GBS threads in our yard. I grabbed them, and pulled them inside as I screamed at him and called the cops immediately. No one was physically hurt, thankfully, but it did really freak the two of them out and has led to a few more issues with them.

What it does leave me with is anger. And that's what I was trying to get at with my previous post. I don't think city council members CAN do anything about this, but I do know that more and more people are starting to get really angry. The obsession in Riverside with the homeless I think is just one of the manifestations of this building anger.

People being mad at the homeless and hoping they will "go away" is victim blaming and pointless. They won't, and it's not their fault.

If people are angry, good. They should be. It's a travesty and incredibly sad and inhumane.

Are people using that anger to push for real solutions? Or are they just saying "ew get that garbage person away from me"

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
The right response is to bring your daughters inside and call 311. Calling the cops will result in a cop showing up, calling 311 will result in someone from homelessness services showing up.

The core of the problem, is of course, that California cities don't build enough homeless shelter beds, and a city council could help with that problem.

Homeless people mostly remain where they were when they were housed as that's where they are most likely to have a support network of friends and family. The homeless people you see on the street aren't moving to California for the nice weather, California just isn't building the shelters that they should be.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I knew about Utah, but didn't realize New York City has been that successful in this.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I notice a lot of the cities at the top of that list are in places where the weather will kill the homeless if they stay outside. Are they near 100% because they actually build accommodations, or because the homeless don't survive the winters?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Zebra I’m not sure what I would do in that situation. Dropping trou in front of kids isn’t okay. OTOH Cops are bad and don’t show up anyway

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Chichevache posted:

I notice a lot of the cities at the top of that list are in places where the weather will kill the homeless if they stay outside. Are they near 100% because they actually build accommodations, or because the homeless don't survive the winters?

Well let's see NYC has a homeless population of >60,000, so either:

-They have ~100% shelter rate because they actually built shelters and people use them

OR

-The reason they have a 100% shelter rate instead of 20% or 50% is because literally tens of thousands of people are freezing to death every year and they just, like, pick them up off the street and turn them into impossible burgers

Which do you think?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

New york law stipulates that all homeless have the right to shelter. If there are not beds the city literally has to pay to book a hotel room or apartment building.

No such right has been made available to the homeless in California.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
they either have the police throw them in vans and drop them off out of town, or more recently do the kinder thing of offering them some cash to *checks notes* end up in puerto rico

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

El Mero Mero posted:

New york law stipulates that all homeless have the right to shelter. If there are not beds the city literally has to pay to book a hotel room or apartment building.

No such right has been made available to the homeless in California.
This applies to all cities in New York state? That'd be awesome to see in California.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Morbus posted:

Well let's see NYC has a homeless population of >60,000, so either:

-They have ~100% shelter rate because they actually built shelters and people use them

OR

-The reason they have a 100% shelter rate instead of 20% or 50% is because literally tens of thousands of people are freezing to death every year and they just, like, pick them up off the street and turn them into impossible burgers

Which do you think?

I honestly don't know, because anybody doing anything about the homeless population is like seeing a unicorn to me.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Is there an actual ballot measure out? I thought we were just doing city council elections. I too have been laughing about the homeless situation being the only thing talked about by the candidates as the problem is so huge I believe it likely requires federal intervention. The percentage of the total US homeless population that is concentrated in CA is large enough that trying to make only our state deal with the solution is not feasible.

On the other hand, I understand why every Riverside resident is freaking out about this. Since moving here three years ago a homeless person has attempted to break into my youngest daughter's daycare in broad daylight while children were inside, two homeless people have succeeded in breaking into that same daycare and were only caught because they set off the alarms, and a homeless dude sleeping on my front lawn dropped trou and popped a deuce in front of my two older daughters. In every case the police were slow to respond and in the first two cases it was fast thinking staff that stopped them. I know I'm not the only person experiencing these issues, so I'm not surprised people are basically desperate for someone to suggest a solution. I had a cop literally tell me that if I had sprayed the lawn pooper with my hose I'd be charged with assault, and my only option was to call them and hope they arrived before he wandered off (which he did).

wait. if it's your property and the dude is making GBS threads in front of your kids and you sprayed him with a garden hose you'd be charged with assault?

what

i'm not advocating for treating homeless people like pests. that's just hosed up on many levels though

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

fermun posted:

The right response is to bring your daughters inside and call 311. Calling the cops will result in a cop showing up, calling 311 will result in someone from homelessness services showing up.

The core of the problem, is of course, that California cities don't build enough homeless shelter beds, and a city council could help with that problem.

Homeless people mostly remain where they were when they were housed as that's where they are most likely to have a support network of friends and family. The homeless people you see on the street aren't moving to California for the nice weather, California just isn't building the shelters that they should be.

Aww yea, SLO doing even worse than Los Angeles! Nailed it! At least we're working on building a new shelter. And the local DSA is working on repealing the "no sleeping in your car" ordinance.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

People being mad at the homeless and hoping they will "go away" is victim blaming and pointless. They won't, and it's not their fault.

If people are angry, good. They should be. It's a travesty and incredibly sad and inhumane.

Are people using that anger to push for real solutions? Or are they just saying "ew get that garbage person away from me"
I think Zebra has a right to some immediate means of keeping people, irrespective of socioeconomic status, from making GBS threads on his lawn. While solving homelessness is an admirable long term goal, it's unreasonable to insist that property owners bear the costs of people using their homes as a combination bathroom and trash receptacle in the mean time.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cicero posted:

This applies to all cities in New York state? That'd be awesome to see in California.

Yeah, it applies to the entire state. It's a great example for demonstrating that political will is literally the only barrier to housing everybody.

Dead Reckoning posted:

While solving homelessness is an admirable long term goal, it's unreasonable to insist that property owners bear the costs of people using their homes as a combination bathroom and trash receptacle in the mean time.

gently caress property owners, they can install a porta potty if they're so bothered by the homeless problem that is directly related to their high property values. Repeal prop 13 and pass SB50, until then every lawn is an open air toilet IMO.

Rainbow Knight posted:

wait. if it's your property and the dude is making GBS threads in front of your kids and you sprayed him with a garden hose you'd be charged with assault?

what

i'm not advocating for treating homeless people like pests. that's just hosed up on many levels though

You think that's hosed up? Imagine having nowhere to legally poo poo so you have to poo poo in public, outdoors, on someone else's property. Big yikes on that one, fam!

acksplode fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 23, 2019

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think Zebra has a right to some immediate means of keeping people, irrespective of socioeconomic status, from making GBS threads on his lawn. While solving homelessness is an admirable long term goal, it's unreasonable to insist that property owners bear the costs of people using their homes as a combination bathroom and trash receptacle in the mean time.

I think we have a right to keep you from making GBS threads up threads, but here we are.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
FFS, it's okay to not allow people to poo poo in your yard. Especially if there are children who play in said yard. It's a health issue at that point.

acksplode posted:

You think that's hosed up? Imagine having nowhere to legally poo poo so you have to poo poo in public, outdoors, on someone else's property. Big yikes on that one, fam!

Use a bag and toss it in the trash.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Literally nobody is saying it's cool to have random people poo poo in front of your kids.

It's pretty fun to watch people kramer in to say that yard-making GBS threads is, in fact, not great because honestly the real problem here is the defecation not a human being in such a bad place that they're reduced to making GBS threads in yards.

Basically a microcosm for the homeless debate in LA: "I don't care what we do about homelessness just get them away from me"

soon

"Yet another person crapped in my yard, we have a yard crapping epidemic, get them away from me."

soon

"Oh no it happened again, this yard making GBS threads is a serious problem please move it to my neighbor's yard"

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Burning_Monk posted:

Oh yeah that'll solve the problem. Homeless people just need to be making GBS threads in public more respectably!

Jaxyon posted:

It's pretty fun to watch people kramer in to say that yard-making GBS threads is, in fact, not great because honestly the real problem here is the defecation not a human being in such a bad place that they're reduced to making GBS threads in yards.

Yeah, it really loving astounds me that somebody can see another human being in such obvious misery and think they're the aggrieved party.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

acksplode posted:

you have got to be kidding me

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rainbow Knight posted:

you have got to be kidding me

I am not kidding you. Having a place to safely and securely carry out a basic and important bodily function is way, way more important than keeping your yard poop free. gently caress anyone who sees someone making GBS threads outdoors and thinks they're in any way a victim for having seen it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I can't tell who's on what side right now, but at least we can all agree that it would be a good thing to poo poo in Dead Reckoning's yard.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

acksplode posted:

I am not kidding you. Having a place to safely and securely carry out a basic and important bodily function is way, way more important than keeping your yard poop free. gently caress anyone who sees someone making GBS threads outdoors and thinks they're in any way a victim for having seen it.

not outdoors. on his yard in front of his kids

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Jaxyon posted:

Literally nobody is saying it's cool to have random people poo poo in front of your kids.

Well except for acksplode doing just that.

Jaxyon posted:

People can do both, you know?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rainbow Knight posted:

Rainbow Knight, recounting this story later:

"Yeah the D&D nerds were all advocating that the homeless man poo poo in the children's open mouths, they wanted that to happen"

Burning_Monk posted:

Well except for acksplode doing just that.

Nope, but I get that this is an easier argument than talking about homelessness. Lazy of you, though.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rainbow Knight posted:

I'm not saying it's good, I'm saying neither he nor his kids are the victims here.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

You're absolute galaxy brains if you don't think people taking shits in public, on lawns and doorsteps, isn't a problem for everyone who's not homeless. Also, people being abandoned to homelessness and everything that entails is shameful. Imagine a world where there are two problems!

A porta-potty costs like $150, delivered to wherever you want, with enough chemical to last for a month of construction workers making GBS threads in it. I don't have a lawn to put one on, is it cool if I get one put on public grounds? Maybe even near the places that homeless people like to hang out, instead of in suburban neighborhoods where there are no services, shelter, or even people to panhandle from.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Infinite Karma posted:

You're absolute galaxy brains if you don't think people taking shits in public, on lawns and doorsteps, isn't a problem for everyone who's not homeless. Also, people being abandoned to homelessness and everything that entails is shameful. Imagine a world where there are two problems!

No, there's only one possible problem ever at one time, that's precisely what me and other posters are saying. :rolleyes:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

A porta-potty costs like $150, delivered to wherever you want, with enough chemical to last for a month of construction workers making GBS threads in it. I don't have a lawn to put one on, is it cool if I get one put on public grounds? Maybe even near the places that homeless people like to hang out, instead of in suburban neighborhoods where there are no services, shelter, or even people to panhandle from.
I'm leaning more toward "build free housing and give it away to homeless people", but I guess free portapotties are my toehold here for further radicalization.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Jaxyon posted:

Rainbow Knight, recounting this story later:

"Yeah the D&D nerds were all advocating that the homeless man poo poo in the children's open mouths, they wanted that to happen"

you're trolling. you have to be trolling.

i mean gently caress, the thrust of what this guy is saying is

acksplode posted:

I'm not saying it's good, I'm saying neither he nor his kids are the victims here.

and you're not like "acksplode is saying that kids being exposed to by a grown man are not the victims here" because that's hyperbole gone too far?

are you just trying to get people on board with homeless people being in a rotten situation? because that's not being argued.

whats the cut off with what a homeless person can do and what they can't do because of the situation they're in?

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 23, 2019

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rainbow Knight posted:

you're trolling. you have to be trolling.

i mean gently caress, this guy is saying

and you're not like "acksplode is saying that kids being exposed to by a grown man are not the victims here" because that's hyperbole gone too far?

are you just trying to get people on board with homeless people being in a rotten situation? because that's not being argued.

whats the cut off with what a homeless person can do and what they can't do because of the situation they're in?

Hey man I get that homelessness is sad and it's easier to come up with wacky D&D takes than deal with what people actually type which is why you're moving the goalposts from "acksplode says it's 100% cool to poo poo in front of kids" to "well I disagree with him saying the family is not victims compared to a indigent man and that's exactly the same thing as saying yard making GBS threads is great"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
"I mean on one hand we're jailing kids at the border, but on the other do you know what it's like to have to walk my kids past the pen where they're keeping them everyday? It's disgusting in there. One was making GBS threads in the corner. We're both victims here."

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rainbow Knight posted:

Homeless people trying to relieve themselves are sexual predators now. Good take

Rainbow Knight posted:

That's an interesting question and I don't know exactly where the line is, but I'm certain it's way past yard making GBS threads.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

acksplode posted:

Homeless people trying to relieve themselves are sexual predators now. Good take

That's actually exactly the tact that the cops are going to take when they dump a mentally ill veteran into jail rather than a shelter.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burning_Monk posted:

FFS, it's okay to not allow people to poo poo in your yard. Especially if there are children who play in said yard. It's a health issue at that point.

This post is funny because it's like, yeah dude, you can just wait and then use a bag and toss it in the trash instead of turning a hose on them (and then you have to clean up the poo poo anyway?).

If your yard is just the place for people to be making GBS threads in that's another issue.

Lol at Riverside in general though. I went to UCR and saw people making GBS threads on the sidewalk all the time. It is a stronghold of commuters surrounded by a sea of poverty and meth.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In spite of what some goons may claim, I doubt they'd have the same level of restraint or compassion they expect everyone to have if this actually happened to them. Being homeless shouldn't give someone a pass to poop in someone's yard.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Panfilo posted:

In spite of what some goons may claim, I doubt they'd have the same level of restraint or compassion they expect everyone to have if this actually happened to them. Being homeless shouldn't give someone a pass to poop in someone's yard.

Unless someone is literally making GBS threads in that guys yard as he types the post, this isn't about anyone's reactions in the moment.

But again, thanks for really hitting the most important part of this discussion: The precise moment of turding

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Panfilo posted:

Being homeless shouldn't give someone a pass to poop in someone's yard.

No one deserves a poop-free yard while people are sleeping on the street. If you don't want people pooping in your yard, house the homeless in your community. Turn to politics, not your loving hose or 911. Yard-havers have already demonstrated their ability to organize to resist development that could make housing more affordable.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It's unreasonable to demand that individuals bear a disproportionate burden for societal problems. In your proposed laissez faire making GBS threads scenario, the only people with poo poo free yards and parks will be those who can afford fences and armed guards.

Jaxyon posted:

Hey man I get that homelessness is sad and it's easier to come up with wacky D&D takes than deal with what people actually type which is why you're moving the goalposts from "acksplode says it's 100% cool to poo poo in front of kids" to "well I disagree with him saying the family is not victims compared to a indigent man and that's exactly the same thing as saying yard making GBS threads is great"
I mean, it's effectively the same result, isn't it? If you think the the children having to watch a man poo poo in their yard aren't victims, they shouldn't be entitled to any sort of remedy to prevent or deter it. "Yes, people making GBS threads anywhere they want is unsanitary and antisocial, but it would be wrong to take any action to deter or prevent it" is pretty weak.

Also, acksplode more or less said that homeowners should have to accept homeless people making GBS threads on their lawns unless they install a public restroom, which is a lot closer to the former than the latter:

acksplode posted:

gently caress property owners, they can install a porta potty if they're so bothered by the homeless problem that is directly related to their high property values. Repeal prop 13 and pass SB50, until then every lawn is an open air toilet IMO.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

In these trying times we Californians must come together and declare Rainbow Knight's property the official state toilet