Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I miss Korea it’s been too long.

Is the gang still in Seoul? Or most folks moved on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

nelson posted:

How much does it realistically cost to live in or near Seoul? From what everyone is telling me I would need over a million US dollars to buy a two bedroom apartment anywhere near Seoul but there’s no way Korea has that many millionaires so I think I’m missing some important information.

Why in God's name would you choose Seoul? Choose a suburb of a smaller city, or a spot in the countryside. Depending how the next 10 years plays out there might be some serious incentives to move to the countryside.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Busa is way better of a place to retire to. At least you'd have a beach in the summer and slightly better air quality than in Seoul.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I mean maybe Seoul will get cheaper after the North levels it within the first 30 minutes of literally any conflict. Whole lot more of it might be waterfront, too. Or some kind of domed subterranian Neo Tokyo deal, that would be cool.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Why in God's name would you choose Seoul? Choose a suburb of a smaller city, or a spot in the countryside. Depending how the next 10 years plays out there might be some serious incentives to move to the countryside.

Mainly to be near my sisters-in-law’s family. I like Hwaseong, but that’s still basically a suburb of Seoul. As far as countryside, Miryang is a good option as my wife’s mother lives there.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man I’d choose Miryang out of those. But then I’m just in love with the southeast of this country. More cool temples, better mountains, better air. Cheaper is a nice bonus. Miryang isn’t all that small and the nightlife stuff you’d miss isn’t so relevant in retirement. Close to Busan so you’ve got beach options.

caberham posted:

I miss Korea it’s been too long.

Is the gang still in Seoul? Or most folks moved on?

There are still like six of us around Seoul who have been in Korea since 2012 or earlier. One more dude down south. Several more recent members. We don’t really meet up irl nearly as often as we used to though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's 2 ppl from Goon Kakao in the south. 1 who quit the chat and myself. Rest are basically all in or near Seoul.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Bugblatter posted:

Man I’d choose Miryang out of those. But then I’m just in love with the southeast of this country. More cool temples, better mountains, better air. Cheaper is a nice bonus. Miryang isn’t all that small and the nightlife stuff you’d miss isn’t so relevant in retirement. Close to Busan so you’ve got beach options.

There are still like six of us around Seoul who have been in Korea since 2012 or earlier. One more dude down south. Several more recent members. We don’t really meet up irl nearly as often as we used to though.

I think the distribution of national parks, at least the seaside ones, are denser in the south/southeast as well. Y'all should move to Sachon, in Gyeongsangbukdo. It's a neat place, everyone is very friendly.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I kinda regret leaving Incheon, but I don't miss my hagwon. I want to go back and see what's changed.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I think the distribution of national parks, at least the seaside ones, are denser in the south/southeast as well. Y'all should move to Sachon, in Gyeongsangbukdo. It's a neat place, everyone is very friendly.

Yeah and you have all the historical stuff around Andong and Gyeongju as well. Gyeongsang rules... except for their politics.

I miss the south. Wish it wasn’t so hard to apply to specific public schools down there.

guri
Jun 14, 2001

Mekchu posted:

There's 2 ppl from Goon Kakao in the south. 1 who quit the chat and myself. Rest are basically all in or near Seoul.
I'm the most south.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Oh right, sry I forgot Jeju.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I’m ‘stuck’ in Seoul (home/work)

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I always think I'm south, but then you jerks in the pretty parts of Korea pipe up. I guess I'm Middle Korea? Just far enough from Seoul to be a day trip but not quite the country?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

nullscan posted:

I always think I'm south, but then you jerks in the pretty parts of Korea pipe up. I guess I'm Middle Korea? Just far enough from Seoul to be a day trip but not quite the country?

You’re still in Gyeonggido right? That’s still north. Jeollanamdo and Gyeongsangnamdo are mostly what we mean when we say south, especially if we mean the pretty part of the south.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

If you are near a subway line you are in Seoul!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

E_P posted:

Even Chungcheongnam-do is Seoul!! And now Busan is also Seoul???? And Daegu??? I had no idea subway lines were so powerful :ohdear:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

E_P posted:

Subway line... in Busan :stare:

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

They also have subways in NEW YORK so that is also SEOUL

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Turns out that actually every major city with a subway is actually Seoul.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The Seoul of public transportation

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I used to call it 漢城

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I just meant all those outstretched arms of the different lines of the Seoul subway station that reach into Ansan, Suwon, Incheon, Osan, etc are a part of the greater Seoul metro area.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah and you have all the historical stuff around Andong and Gyeongju as well. Gyeongsang rules... except for their politics.

I miss the south. Wish it wasn’t so hard to apply to specific public schools down there.

I 100% suggest everyone check out the Andong Mask Dance festival in September/October, it's got dance groups from all over the world and it's super culturally diverse. They have the rows and rows of tents and vendors you get at every festival but eh w/e there's a lot of cool stuff too.

edit- also everyone please visit Sachon Village, it's 20 minutes from Uiseong but it has really pretty hikes and the peaches are the size of goddamn melons it's ridiculous. absurd. also there's a museum about how the area resisted the Japanese occupation.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 24, 2019

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

there's a museum about how the area resisted the Japanese occupation.

say no more fam

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I like food, alcoholism, good museums, and walking around cities.

seoul is like 350 bucks from LA right now.

Is it a cool city for maybe someone by themselves to spend ~4 days or so?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

FizFashizzle posted:

I like food, alcoholism, good museums, and walking around cities.

seoul is like 350 bucks from LA right now.

Is it a cool city for maybe someone by themselves to spend ~4 days or so?

Yes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's not a lot in the way of good museums, though the military/national museums will eat a good hunk of a day so they'd be good for a short trip. For food and alcoholism Seoul is a great choice. Walking... this time of year depends how much you like sweating balls, but Seoul is an entirely walkable city.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

There's not a lot in the way of good museums, though the military/national museums will eat a good hunk of a day so they'd be good for a short trip. For food and alcoholism Seoul is a great choice. Walking... this time of year depends how much you like sweating balls, but Seoul is an entirely walkable city.

Cool.

i'm from the SE United States so sweating balls is a way of life.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Depending on where you stay exactly, there will probably be mountains near you which are transit accessible. Walk up them and enjoy the best views of the city, bar none (try to go on a clear day).

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

What's this clear day you speak of?

(The air has been clearer lately than it was all spring, so there's that, but it's been raining and cloudy too.)

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.
This is a clear day.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
We're going to be doing a school trip to Seoul from 21-25 Feb, although I'm leaving a few days early for the combined reason of acclimatizing/seeing more stuff/a buffer to protect against lovely airlines. Although most of the meals and daytime is going to be part of the program, is there anything I shouldn't leave Seoul without seeing or trying? And most of the advice I'm getting so far is "it's going to be cold as balls". Anything else I should know?

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Go to Hongdae and/or Itaewon at night, get trashed, try to get laid?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think most of the sight seeing stuff that could be recommended for a short visit is in the OP. Hike a mountain (if weather is good enough), visit a palace, party in one of the nightlife districts.

Most of the stuff I feel really strongly as being must-see are elsewhere in the country.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
There's some cool palaces and the gondola up Mt. Seorak is great.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

There's some cool palaces and the gondola up Mt. Seorak is great.

That’s not in Seoul at all though.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Bugblatter posted:

I think most of the sight seeing stuff that could be recommended for a short visit is in the OP. Hike a mountain (if weather is good enough), visit a palace, party in one of the nightlife districts.

Most of the stuff I feel really strongly as being must-see are elsewhere in the country.

Could you name a few? My wife and are going to Seoul for a wedding and will have time for maybe a 3 or 4 day trip elsewhere in the country. This will be in mid november, so the leaves will have probably already changed, but still maybe decent enough weather for hiking, which we would like to do some of. A guy who did ESL in Korea also strongly insisted to go to a spa, which...I guess I'm down for?

I think it would be fun to take a train to the other side of the country...but I'm not sure where.

some quick googling shows that the Kensington Hotel Seorak could be cool. Inside the park, minutes from trails and temples?

vvvvv thanks!

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 12, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Seoraksan for nature, Gyeongju for something old, Busan for seaside. Not sure how long the bus ride is to Seoraksan but Gyeongju is about a two hour train ride and Busan another 30 mins or so past that.

Mid November should be one of the rare short periods of pleasant weather in Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Jeonju for food, and I'll even give your recs once I sort out which places are still there