Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I restarted my computer and it fixed it.

Also yuck English voices.

*switches everything to Chinese*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
how do you add a third retinue?l it's just sun jian and huang gai i want to get cheng pu up in this

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

anyone play with chinese voice acting yet? is everything subtitled?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Davincie posted:

anyone play with chinese voice acting yet? is everything subtitled?

Yes, pretty much everything is subtitled except for the army responses when you select them on the main map.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The ui is insanely confusing to me.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

sassassin posted:

The ui is insanely confusing to me.

just came to post this

theres just poo poo all over the place

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I think your cursor disappearing when you mouse over units in battle is the most pointlessly disorienting thing I've noticed so far.

They're obviously not worried about clutter, so why bother?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

Yes, pretty much everything is subtitled except for the army responses when you select them on the main map.

thanks, ill keep it ‘authentic’ then

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ah, and here is the good old benny hill ai
and it now seems more confusing telling whether you are in range of anything

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

As I thought from the videos, the battles look a little cluttered and hard to make sense of. Compared to wh2, a game with literal demons and dragons, I don't understand how the ui is worse. The characters are cool but I don't know if I like Romance mode.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

As I thought from the videos, the battles look a little cluttered and hard to make sense of. Compared to wh2, a game with literal demons and dragons, I don't understand how the ui is worse. The characters are cool but I don't know if I like Romance mode.

thats nothing compared to the campaign clutter lol theres icons covering every inch of the screen and whererever you put your mouse it pulls up a huge black tile telling you a shred of useful info

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hentai Jihadist posted:

thats nothing compared to the campaign clutter lol theres icons covering every inch of the screen and whererever you put your mouse it pulls up a huge black tile telling you a shred of useful info

Yeah I'm playing the campaign

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

im slightly concerned the AI now knows when you're trying to ambush it even if you arent discovered

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

UI seems fine to me? Unpinning whatever they chose to pin to the map by default helped get rid of some of the random icons. I’m sure that’ll be useful for something later but I don’t know what yet.

Also this thing seems absurdly optimized compared to WH2. Load/turn times especially even on my awful slow HDD.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

yeah the loads and turn times are very fast so i will keep playing this

e: it seems to be the attila version of the new bad CAI, the yellow turbans are refusing to fight me at all even in seige battles. im now chasing huang shao around and hes just abandoning all of his settlements even though itd be a full stack v full stack + garrison fight

e2: eyyyy he finally let me fight him

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 23, 2019

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Just noticed that it already unlocked and took a quick glance.

i7-9700K and a 1080Ti (still gotta update the drivers) and I can play on Ultra @1440p with an average of 60 fps. If you have a card with lots of video memory be sure to tick the box to use it. It says it might affect performance, instead it actually smoothed out fps highs/lows for me. Still gotta test the new drivers.

The duels look absolutely amazing, this is how hero vs hero in Warhammer should have been and they look straight out of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I wonder if we can get this mechanic for Warhammer 3.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 23, 2019

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Why is the UI scale capped at 130%, Warhammer lets me go up to 200%. The scale is so small in 1440p even at max, just 1 hour of play at is giving me eye strain. :negative:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

CA doesn't understand UIs.

Have you seen their mod manager.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
besides the apparently already common sentiment that the UI is tiny and cluttered, though I haven't fiddled with the UI scale and I assume it will feel less cluttered as I get a handle on where things are, I enjoyed my first 90 minutes.

I went Cao Cao because it was recommended and I'll probably restart 20x by next week anyway. Battles are fun, multiple generals with specialties are fun, turn-based development seems interesting.

so many tiny numbers everywhere

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's real hard to go back to historical after Warhammer monsters

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I kinda like the UI I think. Will take a while to learn but it looks nice.

Something I can already tell will get tedious: the ancillary and possession stuff. Cool idea but I'm not sure I care about all these wooden pigs.

Also still not totally clear on the different colour coding for units and how important it is to match with a matching colour general.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

fuf posted:

Something I can already tell will get tedious: the ancillary and possession stuff. Cool idea but I'm not sure I care about all these wooden pigs.

This is one of those complaints I get really well since I don't give two shits about all the tiny things each person can equip and find it tedious to touch.

But some people love that poo poo so it has to be there if they want to be more like paradox.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

my cao cao hard campaign suddenly went the wrong way when 3 different armies showed up, 2 with around 1200 men and the 3rd with 3000. the ai doesnt gently caress around

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
I can already tell I am going to dig this. Just for starters I chose Gongsun Zan, and there is just so much character to everything. Did the babby’s first fight of course and my sentinel pal quickly defeated the General in a duel and the battle was short. Afterwards, I was surprised that the enemy General asked to join me! Why not, perhaps under me, you shall learn the art of war. :black101:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
and some stuff is character specific, it seems. I tried to swap Cao Cao's sword, which has a big melee damage buff, to my front line general, and then found the tiny tooltip that says it's Cao Cao's favorite sword and therefore can't be equipped by anyone else, even though he's a strategist and should stay back and out of conflict.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i like the technology system but i dont liek that it takes 10 seconds to artfully paint the tech tree across my screen every time
also its just generally a horrible way to display that info from a useability perspective lol. it just shows you the troop and building icons but you gotta pin each tech then move your mouse over to the other side of the screen to see what they actually are
i think thats my general thinking on the UI, everything seems to be designed to look like guild wars 2 concept art but not to be used

im playing liu bei cause i cant pass up guan yu and he is a beast. at one point i was attacking an encampment and zhang fei went down while fighting 3 generals and guan yu and liu bei went crazy and rushed in, it was a cool moment to be like "oh poo poo forget the plan! all my cavalry go accompany liu bei! the general has gone mad!"

so far ive just run around conquering little settlements without the AI ever really giving me any trouble but i'm only on normal. i'm fighting yuan shu aka chinese steve buscemi (he has a very concerned looking face in the tv series) and he actually has a lot more troops than i expected.

as far as i can tell you can't transfer units between retinues? it has to be a whole retinue at a time? i assume theres no upgrade/replacement mechanic whereby i can make my spear militia into proper spear warriors?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hentai Jihadist posted:

as far as i can tell you can't transfer units between retinues? it has to be a whole retinue at a time? i assume theres no upgrade/replacement mechanic whereby i can make my spear militia into proper spear warriors?

I think units are loyal to their general and can’t be swapped around to other retinues but can be swapped out for a different unit. It was one of the options that popped up over the top of the retinue when I selected a unit.

Ancillaries seem like good diplomatic bait. After everyone got their follower and animal of choice I’ve just used them to sweeten deals or make some short term profit.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Scott Forstall posted:

and some stuff is character specific, it seems. I tried to swap Cao Cao's sword, which has a big melee damage buff, to my front line general, and then found the tiny tooltip that says it's Cao Cao's favorite sword and therefore can't be equipped by anyone else, even though he's a strategist and should stay back and out of conflict.

Cao Cao is a commander, not a strategist. You can actually use him as a combatant, ofc there are significantly better ones.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 23, 2019

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
So how do you get the Yellow Turban dlc? It's not showing up on Steam as addable to my library, and I didn't get a code in the box.

The overlays are a bit much, if only for some of the advisor ones that cover up other windows. I also don't know why double clicking on someone's name on the diplomacy screen doesn't automatically trigger negotiation, either.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

So how do you get the Yellow Turban dlc? It's not showing up on Steam as addable to my library, and I didn't get a code in the box.

Did you buy from cdkeys.com?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Hammerstein posted:

Cao Cao's is a commander, not a strategist. You can actually use him as a combatant, ofc there are significantly better ones.

His card says Strategic Mastermind? I guess I will just need time to get used to all the details lol

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
lmao if you don't open card slam into mp first

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Scott Forstall posted:

His card says Strategic Mastermind? I guess I will just need time to get used to all the details lol

I think everyone has like two titles, a more unique flavour title and then a more generic gameplay role?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gamerofthegame posted:

lmao if you don't open card slam into mp first

Only 5% of players ever touch Total War multiplayer (incl. co-op campaigns).

A lot more people watch people play Total War multiplayer, though, so it gets a lot of focus as an advertising tool.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

Only 5% of players ever touch Total War multiplayer (incl. co-op campaigns).

A lot more people watch people play Total War multiplayer, though, so it gets a lot of focus as an advertising tool.

This is me, I totally love to watch high-level mp matches, but whenever I try to play I always get some rear end who camps on a hill with arty or someone with a full stack of horse archers. It's just not fun.

So I stick to campaign with a few mods to stop the AI from building 20 stacks of pistoliers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

fuf posted:

I think everyone has like two titles, a more unique flavour title and then a more generic gameplay role?

Yeah, the gameplay classes are sentinel, vanguard, champion, commander, and strategist, except for the Yellow Turbans who have their own weird hybrid classes going on.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Scott Forstall posted:

That’s just his little flair title, like Guan Yu is the God of War. Just go by color. Yellow is a commander, blue is a strategist.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Anno posted:

That’s just his little flair title, like Guan Yu is the God of War. Just go by color. Yellow is a commander, blue is a strategist.

Can confirm that guan yu is the god of war tho

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hey gently caress the whole peaceful vassalize thing. Every turn people are choosing to become vassals and all my war targets are now in some mega vassal swarm so if I choose to go to war with any of them I will be at war with 15 people. It's out of control and makes the game no fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Scott Forstall posted:

All characters have a class, like Vanguard, Champion, Strategist, Commander and so on and some of them may have individual quirks it seems. For example Zhou You, a strategist with 23 melee toughness which is comparable to commanders or vanguards, while all other strategists have 9-10.