Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only units I will accept having similar names are the statute and nautical miles.

Everything else needs to get with the Highlander Protocol. That goes double for survey miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Scarodactyl posted:

Imperial is a mess but at least it has better roots than 'one ten millionth of what someone once thought the quarter circumferance of the earth to be, in the 1700s,' or the 'has a sciency-sounding basis while being actively bad for actual scientific usage and ignoring comfort' celsius.

I've never been in a position to actually use them, but I've had a fondness for Natural unit systems ever since I learned about them. Speed of light? 1. 1 unit distance per 1 unit time. E=mc² reduces to E=m.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vavrek posted:

I've never been in a position to actually use them, but I've had a fondness for Natural unit systems ever since I learned about them. Speed of light? 1. 1 unit distance per 1 unit time. E=mc² reduces to E=m.

Ask a physicist and π = 1.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
What weighs more, 100 pounds of feathers, or 100 pounds of gold? The feathers, obviously, because when weighing precious metals, you use troy weight for some goddamn reason.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DocCynical posted:

What weighs more, 100 pounds of feathers, or 100 pounds of gold? The feathers, obviously, because when weighing precious metals, you use troy weight for some goddamn reason.

The gold likely weighs more because its centre of mass is closer to the centre of the Earth, unless you did something weird like scatter the feathers everywhere while the gold is in a small tower.

An alternate concern leads to the same answer: some authorities consider weight to be the net force after the effects of buoyancy. If there is a hundred pounds‐mass of both substances, the feathers will displace more air and thereby weigh less.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Platystemon posted:

An alternate concern leads to the same answer: some authorities consider weight to be the net force after the effects of buoyancy. If there is a hundred pounds‐mass of both substances, the feathers will displace more air and thereby weigh less.

So your helium balloon actually weighs more on the moon?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Jabor posted:

So your helium balloon actually weighs more on the moon?

If you define weight as something like "force in the direction of local gravity acting on whatever it's resting on top of", then yes. I guess this is one way to talk about how things feel lighter under water, too?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Has anyone in this thread watched the HBO Chernobyl show? It’s really entertaining, but I don’t know enough about the history of the disaster or the physics at play to know how accurate the show is.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Alternative pants posted:

Has anyone in this thread watched the HBO Chernobyl show? It’s really entertaining, but I don’t know enough about the history of the disaster or the physics at play to know how accurate the show is.

According to boffins on the internet, it's fairly accurate.

It's certainly horrifying enough, and I didn't sleep well after the last episode... Acute radiation sickness is no joke.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
It's very accurate in almost every way, down to the layout of wreckage after the explosion in the aerial shots. One the characters is a composite of several real people but I've not seen anything in the show that deviates heavily from reality. The only divergence I've noticed is that the helicopter that crashed was later on I believe, not on the second day of the incident, but the circumstances were largely identical.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The SI unit for time should be the quarter note.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Personally my least favorite quirk of SI notation is that they originally called it degrees Kelvin, but then went back and just changed it to Kelvins because

:smug: it isn't degrees because its an absolute scale

Which is just the most pedantic poo poo.

(In terms of actual units, in addition to the speed of light thing, what i hate most is that they hosed up Celsius and put the triple point of water at 0.01 degrees instead of a flat zero)

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Arglebargle III posted:

The SI unit for time should be the quarter note.

a quarter note isn't a unit of time it's just a division of a beat?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Planck time is just a 1.0×10-64th note.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Moist von Lipwig posted:

ayy lmao

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Good luck writing a note with 211 beams.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Serephina posted:

I love hearing yanks try to rationalize their fear of metric.

Weird. Every time I've been to the UK, the road distances are marked in miles and the car speedometer in mph and people still talk about how many stones things weigh.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

It's very accurate in almost every way, down to the layout of wreckage after the explosion in the aerial shots. One the characters is a composite of several real people but I've not seen anything in the show that deviates heavily from reality. The only divergence I've noticed is that the helicopter that crashed was later on I believe, not on the second day of the incident, but the circumstances were largely identical.

The show made it look like it crashed because it went into the smoke. It didn't, it just clipped a hanging cable from a crane. Also the one physicist claims that you'd get a 2-3 megaton steam explosion from the core melting its way into the water tank, which is orders of magnitude too high.

But other than that it's pretty goddamned accurate.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

When it's finished I'm going to track down a way to watch it and binge watch it. Radiation is my job and I've studied Chernobyl in school so I'm kind of curious how it holds up.

I watched through Jack Ryan recently and I was okay with all of the crazy poo poo that was happening but I found "massive unshielded vials of cesium-137 powder can be handled by hand safely and are also too radiologically weak to be detected by customs inspections" to be almost too much for me. Like dude, my university has a concrete bunker and a several tonne lead case with remote control for a Cs-137 source a small fraction of the size of just one of the vials shown in the show. Still a step above "Unthinkable" and its nuclear bomb featuring a gas tank of "plutonium" though

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 18:50 on May 23, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DocCynical posted:

:dadjoke:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
My favorite argument against metrics was a guy who argued that half a liter of beer is just not enough, and a liter of beer is too much, but a pint! Ah, a pint is just the right amount of beer.

(Which is of course wrong. A place near me does $7 liters and pub trivia, and a liter is quite enough to keep me happy for the duration.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

darthbob88 posted:

My favorite argument against metrics was a guy who argued that half a liter of beer is just not enough, and a liter of beer is too much, but a pint! Ah, a pint is just the right amount of beer.

(Which is of course wrong. A place near me does $7 liters and pub trivia, and a liter is quite enough to keep me happy for the duration.)

1 pint is 0.47 liters. :confused:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

1 pint is 0.47 liters. :confused:

I think you mean 0.57L?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

One liter of beer is too much for who? People who don’t like beer?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It’s from 1984, Orwell was talking about Imperial Pints.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

I think you mean 0.57L?

https://www.google.com/search?q=1+pint+in+liters is what I was basing it on, but

Schadenboner posted:

It’s from 1984, Orwell was talking about Imperial Pints.

explains it, yeah, that's .568 liters to the pint. And that explains a story I'd heard elsewhere, that when the UK went through metrification, there was some degree of consternation precisely around the amount of beer in one drink. As I recall the solution was that you had to sell in metric, but there was nothing stopping you from over-filling the glass. So you'd buy a half-liter and get an (imperial) pint.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

https://www.google.com/search?q=1+pint+in+liters is what I was basing it on, but

explains it, yeah, that's .568 liters to the pint. And that explains a story I'd heard elsewhere, that when the UK went through metrification, there was some degree of consternation precisely around the amount of beer in one drink. As I recall the solution was that you had to sell in metric, but there was nothing stopping you from over-filling the glass. So you'd buy a half-liter and get an (imperial) pint.

There’s some sort of Québécois lifehacker-tier “trick” involving how to order a pint at bars in Quebec or some poo poo stemming from this IIRC?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

As I recall the solution was that you had to sell in metric, but there was nothing stopping you from over-filling the glass. So you'd buy a half-liter and get an (imperial) pint.
Why not just sell 570ml?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Schadenboner posted:

There’s some sort of Québécois lifehacker-tier “trick” involving how to order a pint at bars in Quebec or some poo poo stemming from this IIRC?

No, half of them will sell you 16oz (or in the case of a crook who owns a bunch of dives in Montréal, 14oz)and call it a pint, others will do a proper 18-20oz cause a pint doesn't mean a thing here. It's shorthand for "a large", contrasted with "a glass" for "a small". It's pretty dumb. Also good luck getting a full glass ever.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

DigitalRaven posted:

Good luck writing a note with 211 beams.

Seems fine?!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Lone Badger posted:

Why not just sell 570ml?

Because you try telling the average British pubgoer they'll have to order in metric and see how they react.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Because you try telling the average British pubgoer they'll have to order in metric and see how they react.

They'd just invent some insane contraction for it. They'd come up with "f'seml" or something.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

In the Netherlands, 100g is also commonly used in stores. It's called an ons (ounce).
Similarly, 500 g is called a pound and 1000 kg is called a ton.
Confusingly, 100 000 amounts of money (e.g. 100 000 euro or 100 000 dollars) is also called a ton. "That construction project cost several tons."

I think a law was passed in the 90s or something that store employees are no longer allowed to use the metric ounce/pound amounts and should use pure metric instead because it led to confusion. But a sizable group of buyers will still ask for ounce/pound amounts.

The absolute worst is gross and net tons being used to refer to short and long tons, which are all loving terrible because only metric tons should be used anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BrandorKP posted:

The absolute worst is gross and net tons being used to refer to short and long tons, which are all loving terrible because only metric tons should be used anyway.

This one is metric’s fault for co‐opting the name.

There’s a perfectly fit prefix for the purpose, but almost no one uses “megagrams”.

It’s exactly as stupid as if “mile” was used for a distance of one thousand metres.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

This one is metric’s fault for co‐opting the name.

There’s a perfectly fit prefix for the purpose, but almost no one uses “megagrams”.

It’s exactly as stupid as if “mile” was used for a distance of one thousand metres.

In German and Dutch, the Seven-League Boots from fairytales are called Seven-Mile Boots.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Phanatic posted:

One liter of beer is too much for who? People who don’t like beer?

It goes hot and flat too quickly. I’m sure you’ll say “drink quicker” but I also have to factor in toilet trips.

Also, don’t bother telling an Australian to drink more. We get it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Capt.Whorebags posted:

It goes hot and flat too quickly. I’m sure you’ll say “drink quicker” but I also have to factor in toilet trips.

Just take the beer in with you, not a big deal?

:confused:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Schadenboner posted:

Just take the beer in with you, not a big deal?

:confused:

Oh.

That's what you mean by free refills.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Exit Strategy posted:

Oh.

That's what you mean by free refills.

AustralianBeerJoke.txt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Platystemon posted:

We just went over this; it's 10000. :reject: