Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tekne posted:

This movie reduced me to a pile of ash. It's a relentlessly thrilling and often beautiful joyride of clashing titans, exploding buildings, and squishy humans. King of the Monsters really understands what awe inspiring spectacle is versus the legion of forgettable disaster movies we've had over the years.

I wish I could see this movie now gently caress, you don't know how jealous I am

I can't even see it Thursday, my theater doesn't change stuff until Fridays

So any cameos from other Toho kaiju that we could keep an eye out, if you care to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Burkion posted:

I wish I could see this movie now gently caress, you don't know how jealous I am

I can't even see it Thursday, my theater doesn't change stuff until Fridays

So any cameos from other Toho kaiju that we could keep an eye out, if you care to share?

I don't recall seeing any hints to the other favorites, but my mind really wasn't in a detail oriented state for this screening. The new titans created for KotM had really diverse and interesting designs though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Last question I promise

Do Rodan and Godzilla ever get to throw down.

Rodan throws down with Ghidorah and Mothra and I wanna know if he just throws hands with everyone

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Rodan and Godzilla never get the chance to the fight. He always has his plate full when Goji shows up.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Does Godzilla survive the snap? :ohdear:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My uncle was so rad he got me tickets for Thursday as I am flying to England tomorrow and was bummed i'd be missing it in my home town.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Popped in Final Wars last night after watching Tokyo SOS and I got tonal whiplash

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I take it that it hasn't aged too well? I only watched it once and I did not like it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I actually turned it off after about a half hour. I also saw it once before years ago and remembered it being frenetic, but I didn't remember the dad rock, the anime sensibilities, the snap-cut editing, the wild story about human mutants, and the intro featuring a Japanese sub captained by a Jesse Ventura lookalike. That half hour wasn't good, but it was fun.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/avantigwen/status/1131548502549569537

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It would look better if it wasn't shot and edited on a smartphone.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Got my tickets booked at the local Ultrascreen DLX, which is unfortunately the biggest one available (true IMAX is prohibitively distant, though someday I'd love to take a road trip). Opening-week matinees are AWESOME.

Someone at my theater's bar is a serious artist with the chalkboard and regularly draws amazing things for the specials, hopefully they'll do something Godzilla-themed this time and I can snapshot it for the thread. Their Shazam and Avengers boards were muy impressive.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 23, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Finally got my big rear end IMAX tickets. Assigned seating, smack bang in the centre. :woop:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked Final Wars, but I also liked Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes ridiculousness and Versus, and saw it RIGHT after both of those things, so it was more of the madness. I watched it more as a Ryuhei Kitamura movie that Godzilla happened to show up in and liked it because of that.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Still got Godzilla lodged in my brain today. KotM is just stuffed to the brim with truly epic and more importantly memorable sequences. The post credits stinger has got me hyped for what kind of crazy poo poo is going to go down in future movies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tekne posted:

Still got Godzilla lodged in my brain today. KotM is just stuffed to the brim with truly epic and more importantly memorable sequences. The post credits stinger has got me hyped for what kind of crazy poo poo is going to go down in future movies.

So what DOES full grown Kong look like

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Burkion posted:

So what DOES full grown Kong look like
We get some partial shots of him from the side and back moving around. They're extremely short and on computer monitors so hard to judge how much bigger he is. The first credits sequence shows an ancient painting with a giant Kong fighting a slightly larger Godzilla.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well I meant more his physical design- like does he have an awesome beard or more scars? Still that's interesting. Godzilla has fought Kong's species in the past before. Weird.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

There was a "new" titan I was happy to see. A full grown female Muto (she's bulkier and heavier armored than 2014's) appears, so the lovers are not totally gone.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Accidental double post because I am dumb. Anyway, this channel just uploaded the entire soundtrack. It's one of the best parts of an already incredible movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qBvXSv2qoY

Tekne fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 23, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ok, the callbacks to the Mosura Ya song in the Mothra themes are extremely good.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Finally got my big rear end IMAX tickets. Assigned seating, smack bang in the centre. :woop:

Same here, 2/3s up right in the center. Exactly where the screen fills up my full field of vision without needing to tilt my head. I don't know how I haven't spontaneously-combusted from excitement.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does the soundtrack have any spoilery names? Godzilla's Noble End

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Please tell me they play that sick as gently caress godzilla cover over the credits

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qBvXSv2qoY

This is *THE BEST*

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It rules a whole lot. Bear has always been a great composer. I’m glad he’s doing bigger and better things.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does the soundtrack have any spoilery names? Godzilla's Noble End

Not in the playlist I saw there, but from the earlier tracklist reveal, I saw some spoilery-seeming ones: Goodbye Old Friend, Rebirth both seem like they might hint at Mothra dying, though that one was kind of expected and almost certainly spoiled by trailers already anyway. Other than that, there's Battle in Boston, but I think that's also been shown in the trailers too. Nothing looks as bad as what you have spoiled there, at least.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 23, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

When that brass started up at the beginning I felt like levitating six inches off my chair.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

That Mothra theme is wonderful

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy moly that soundtrack is wonderful.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Tekne posted:

We get some partial shots of him from the side and back moving around. They're extremely short and on computer monitors so hard to judge how much bigger he is. The first credits sequence shows an ancient painting with a giant Kong fighting a slightly larger Godzilla.

I guess I'll need to brush up on the Monsterverse Kong species. I thought the 1970s Kong was growing larger only because of radiation induced by nuclear weapons. Or does the Kong species just typically grow throughout their lifespan? The latter would only have the ancient cave painting make sense.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I guess I'll need to brush up on the Monsterverse Kong species. I thought the 1970s Kong was growing larger only because of radiation induced by nuclear weapons. Or does the Kong species just typically grow throughout their lifespan? The latter would only have the ancient cave painting make sense.

The paintings don’t make any sense anyway, originally the idea was the monsters were from a period when the earth was irradiated, and awoken by new food sources. Then they added in Skull Island and Now it’s all cave paintings with Godzilla in them fighting ghidorah so he’s been on ice max a hundred thousand years

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Bear McReary's version of the theme is absolutely wonderful, but lets not forget Pharoahe Monch has the all time best version of the Godzilla theme.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCDSZr2zzws

An argument can be made for this yes

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

DeimosRising posted:

The paintings don’t make any sense anyway, originally the idea was the monsters were from a period when the earth was irradiated, and awoken by new food sources. Then they added in Skull Island and Now it’s all cave paintings with Godzilla in them fighting ghidorah so he’s been on ice max a hundred thousand years
I think it's still correct that Godzilla and friends originated from an ancient radioactive Earth. However, there was a Conan like period in mankind's deep past when some titans were still active. Dougherty's desire to direct a Godzilla BC movie sounds like the coolest poo poo ever. Ancient man's potential to ruin nature is more limited than ours, but some tyrannical god king over irrigating or clear cutting a part of their empire infringing on a kaiju's domain is reasonable enough. It'd be cool as hell to see the most feared army of the time losing their poo poo over an enraged monster.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 24, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

here i can explain everything: it doesn't matter, people wanna see big monsters fight

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I actually turned it off after about a half hour. I also saw it once before years ago and remembered it being frenetic, but I didn't remember the dad rock, the anime sensibilities, the snap-cut editing, the wild story about human mutants, and the intro featuring a Japanese sub captained by a Jesse Ventura lookalike. That half hour wasn't good, but it was fun.

so wait what part of this is supposed to be the bad part

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Final Wars is a movie you either love or hate, and both are perfectly valid opinions.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

I've never really bought into the whole idea of spoiling yourself on a soundtrack which is why I clicked on this but man I wish I had waited. Just hearing the first few moments of that song made me tear up, that made me feel things knowing it's going to be in this movie and done so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mandatory lesbian posted:

here i can explain everything: it doesn't matter, people wanna see big monsters fight

I fully agree