Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Looking for a recommendation for a vacuum. Specifically, one that is good at actually picking up pet hair and kitty litter from carpet, not just moving it around.

Chef Bourgeoisie has a new favorite as of 05:51 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have a Shark Navigator Liftaway that works well on rugs with great Pyrenees fur. The only problem is fur wrapping around the brush roller so I exacto blade and pull out the wrapped hair after I vacuum so it doesn't become too much and clog the works all up.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a vacuum. Specifically, one that is good at actually picking up pet hair and kitty litter from carpet, not just moving it around.

I’ve been really happy with my Miele Cat & Dog model. I picked it up used and it’s quiet and reliable.

There was a reddit thread where a vacuum repairman recommended Miele because they’re reliable and also easy to repair if they *do* break down. It’s what he was using himself. So I took the plunge and have been very impressed.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

TheManWithNoName posted:

Are the really highly rated $25-$50 binoculars on Amazon worth it? I am dubious because the Wirecutter pick is so much more. Looking for a smallish pair to use on a cruise to spot wildlife.

I went down the rabbit hole researching binoculars to look out my office window to check out the family of foxes/deer living in the woods. I had a moment of clarity and realized that I'm not going to nerd out and I don't need super high-quality stuff. So I just got a pair of compact ones that are more than good enough.

Basically if all you care about is being able to spot animals and watch them do their thing, any cheap binocular will be fine. If you're wanting to spot individual markings and fur patterns or maybe stargazing/identifying planets, then upgrading the optics may be in your interest.

edit: my next budget option would have been these Celeste with better optics but they are quite large and heavy (2.2lbs)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

I've got a Dyson ball. It's great and light. If you need to unclog it, you can disassemble it very easily.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Lol is nothing new anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx62VjBCtj0

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

I've owned a Dyson and I've owned a Shark. While the Dyson is better it's not worth the "holy loving poo poo" price tag. The shark is great and only put me back like $150

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
The Shark looks great, thanks y'all! :tipshat:

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I upgraded from a $100 bissell to a $140 Shark (on sale from $200). It was disturbing how much more stuff the Shark was able to suck up. It has a lot of power. I just got the DLX, it's pretty basic. I like that it doesn't have 4 levels of height adjustment. Either the spinning brush is on or off, and if the suction is too much, there's a valve to lessen it.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

EdBlackadder posted:

Cheers for the responses, I went with the Anker above. Bone conduction is really cool though, I quite like the isolation of in ear though.

This is from the last page, but you can use bone conduction headphones in combination with a pair of ear plugs to basically turn them into regular headphones. I use BC headphones in my office so I can still hear the phone/someone trying to talk to me, and then I put in ear plugs when I go out into the warehouse so I can continue to listen to my podcasts over the loud machines. I like the flexibility it gives you.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Is there any real difference between a power bank and another beyond mAh and either way can someone recommend one for me?

e: preferably not with it’s own cable or stupid features, not hideous and not super expensive if that combination of things exists

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I would look for a quality manufacturer so it doesn’t burn your house down.

E. I have had good experiences with Anker, personally. If you can wait a week or so, they seem to go on sale on amazon like every week.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Furia posted:

Is there any real difference between a power bank and another beyond mAh and either way can someone recommend one for me?

e: preferably not with it’s own cable or stupid features, not hideous and not super expensive if that combination of things exists

The quality/QC on a battery pack is important if you value things like not exploding or catching fire randomly. I just stick to buying Anker products because my balls not exploding in fire are worth the price (I keep my battery packs strapped to my taint).

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

1redflag posted:

I would look for a quality manufacturer so it doesn’t burn your house down.

E. I have had good experiences with Anker, personally. If you can wait a week or so, they seem to go on sale on amazon like every week.

Anker is definitely my go to for stuff like this. Basic, cheap, reputable enough that it wont catch fire, (I'm pretty sure).

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Just what I needed

Thank you all!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What pillow should I buy and why? I've never cared about hot or cold pillow and I've always bought the cheapest from Walmart or Target so I know nothing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sounds like you got it handled.

Do you want your new pillow to be or do anything in particular?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want a luxurious comfortable pillow that will help me sleep and keep me from having any neck problems.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I want a luxurious comfortable pillow that will help me sleep and keep me from having any neck problems.

Gf and I got these years ago and they’ve been incredible. Best pillows I’ve ever used. Held up perfectly through multiple hot Florida summers too. Unfortunately they’re no longer available but there are a lot of similar ones available.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
When it comes to buying contacts online, I've never done it before. Do any of you buy your contacts online? I'm really thinking about switching over from my glasses, but my preliminary research is showing me that this poo poo is expensive. Is there a site you recommend?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I used 1800contacts once. They took a really old prescription as well which saved me a trip to the optometrist. Simply had to take a photo of the prescription form and they let me buy whatever, basically.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What’s the coolest temperature-wise thinnish pillow?

I am a way too hot sleeper and was tempted by some diy liquid cooled pillow instructions I saw but that also seems insane.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Leavemywife posted:

When it comes to buying contacts online, I've never done it before. Do any of you buy your contacts online? I'm really thinking about switching over from my glasses, but my preliminary research is showing me that this poo poo is expensive. Is there a site you recommend?

I used to, before getting my eyes zapped (which is one of those Genuine Life Improvements and something I wish I had done years ago). 1-800 Contacts was my go-to as well, although price-wise they weren't any better than ordering from the doctor, just more convenient.

But in general -- yes, contacts are more expensive than sticking with glasses. Even so, switching to them was a huge improvement over glasses. Your doctor will obviously provide better advice, but I'd go for the highest quality contacts you can afford.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Do make sure you remove them nightly and clean. I know there's some Ask/Tell thread from a doctor with enough horror stories to convince you to do so.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Furia posted:

Just what I needed

Thank you all!

BTW, I got a USB-C one, meaning it takes USB-C for input only, and I kind of thought it might charge faster but it does not. Checked the current and it's like traditional USB 2.0. They have ones with PowerDelivery via USB-C output as well, but the smaller ones in the 10,000-13,000 mAh range only use it for input.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Snowy posted:

I am a way too hot sleeper and was tempted by some diy liquid cooled pillow instructions I saw but that also seems insane.

I used one of those water bladder pillows for a summer when our A/C was busted and it worked pretty well. I would throw it in the fridge in the afternoon and it'd be super chill when I was going to bed. I now have a latex pillow which I love and wouldn't change for anything though.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

mrking posted:

I used one of those water bladder pillows for a summer when our A/C was busted and it worked pretty well. I would throw it in the fridge in the afternoon and it'd be super chill when I was going to bed. I now have a latex pillow which I love and wouldn't change for anything though.

Cool thanks I didn’t know about those water bladder things!

How’s the latex heatwise? Ok or is the comfort the big draw?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Snowy posted:

The coolest thin pillow I have ever had is the original version Purple pillow. It is made of the same stuff as the top layer of Purple mattresses, which are great at not retaining heat. The thing never gets hot, and it's thin enough that I actually have to put a second thin pillow underneath it to prevent my head from sagging because I'm a side sleeper. If you're a back sleeper it'll be pretty much perfect though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Thanks, guys. I'll talk to the eye doc and go from there!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I have the opposite question. I'm all stocked up on contacts, but am wondering where's a good place to buy glasses online. Warby Parker is the main one I've heard of, but I'm open to other places if they're good. I'm a woman, so preferably somewhere with a decent selection of women's frames.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
My wife has bought a bunch from Zenni over the years and likes them a lot.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Contact Chat:

Brand and comfort are very subjective based on how sensitive your eyes are, but I’ve been wearing contacts daily for over 20 years (Jesus) and I’ve tried every brand I can get my hands on. My sister is in the business and has literally given me handfuls of samples in my script. Try to score some samples from your doctor, they’re usually cool with giving a bunch out. I spent about ten years with comfortable but mildly red eyes because I’m just that sensitive. Everyone in my school years thought I was high if it was after like 5pm.

Long story short and lots of research later, Bausch+Lomb Ultras. Best contact I’ve ever worn by a wide margin and they last a month without needing to be changed which is good for the wallet. My eyes not only lost their redness, these NEVER get dry on me, even after an entire day of wearing them and being active outside. Doesn’t matter. Same at 10pm as 8am. I seriously haven’t bought a single bottle of moisture drops in roughly 6 years. This may or may not be the brand for you, but shop around, there’s some seriously good poo poo out there in 2019, don’t just settle for discomfort like I did with Acuvue’s for too long.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Is there any go-to slow cooker/crock pot? Just for a single person, nothing too large.

...Is there even a difference between slow cookers/crock pots? :confused:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ishikabibble posted:

Is there any go-to slow cooker/crock pot? Just for a single person, nothing too large.

...Is there even a difference between slow cookers/crock pots? :confused:

Buy an Instant Pot!!!!!

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Both of those come in s-xl sizes. One takes 4+ hours, the other takes as little as 20 minutes? Instant pot is a pressure cooker, Crock is so cool you can go work and come home to a nice pot roast.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

colas posted:

Both of those come in s-xl sizes. One takes 4+ hours, the other takes as little as 20 minutes? Instant pot is a pressure cooker, Crock is so cool you can go work and come home to a nice pot roast.

Instant pot gets you that crockpot quality pot roast so fast you don’t have to bother waiting that long

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
They can also function as a slow cooker.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

And rice maker and and and...

(I am the cult leader for Instant Pots. I could get rid of all other appliances and still be able to cook nearly everything.)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Also, I suggest getting a bigger one than you think you need. To me, the biggest benefit of Instant Pots is the ability to make large batches quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'd say the only reason to use a crock pot is they come in larger and better shapes for a large roast. A big oval shape can be better for large meats if you're looking to cook for a family or have food for a week.