Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
for proper Druid inspiration, watch First Reformed (except actually go full eco-terrorist this time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I have a CE druid that works fine with the rest of the good-to-neutral group, but just leaves slightly Druidcrafted kudzu seedpods at locations while nobody is looking and leaves them to infest civilized areas. It's a small time thing for an up-and-coming villain. I fully intend, if we get far enough, to relinquish the character as she becomes a full on villain, however.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
See the thing is I get the bio-terrorist/ nature red in tooth and claw Druid. But really that means you only have 2 different flavours of Druid. It could be "gentle fluffy disney" or full on devouring earth, but they both seem a little dull.

Alongside that I don't like the whole "balance" thing that a lot of druids seem to need to have in official fiction. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm the guy that knows that my side's gonna win in the end because the jungle will pull the walls down stone by stone, the sand will cover everything, the seas will rise, the sky will fall, etc and so on because gently caress you all nature is an unstoppable force.

But since I've got nothing better to do while I wait, right here and now gently caress you in particular, I'm a bear.

Edit for clarity: the heat death of the universe is balance. I'm for that.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My favourite character I've played in 5e so far is mechanically a college of glamour bard but their character is a preacher whose mannerisms are borrowed from Pentecostal televangelism.

He can fill someone with the spirit of the gods, even have them laughing on the floor. He can lay hands on you and heal you. He can cast out the wicked magic of sinners in the name of the gods. He can give someone the spirit they need to succeed in the day's efforts. He's persuasive, and if need be he can command people in the name of his god to kneel.

Despite that gods exist in this world, that's not where his power derives from. He's a bard. The world doesn't know that, and worst of all, he doesn't either.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 23, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Does anyone here ever go out of their way to give their dwarf characters a non-Scottish accent, if only to buck the trend/stereotype? I played in a one-shot game online a few weeks ago where I rolled up a mountain dwarf stone sorcerer and had him speak in a thick, Russian accent just for the hell of it, and it was pretty fun.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

See, I've always liked playing against type with Druids. In the evil campaign I've been playing on and off in, my character is essentially a mob boss who uses his ability to cause plant growth to ensure large crops of various illicit substances and enforces his will with magic power. He is entirely a city dweller who sees nature as just another thing to manipulate to his will.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

W.T. Fits posted:

Does anyone here ever go out of their way to give their dwarf characters a non-Scottish accent, if only to buck the trend/stereotype? I played in a one-shot game online a few weeks ago where I rolled up a mountain dwarf stone sorcerer and had him speak in a thick, Russian accent just for the hell of it, and it was pretty fun.

My table runs a round robin where we all take it in turns to GM. When I was GMing I gave one of my NPC dwarves a gravelly Yorkshire accent.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

W.T. Fits posted:

Swiss German for dwarves.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

W.T. Fits posted:

Some narrator of Terry Pratchett audiobooks does his dwarves as Welsh and I quite like that and have started doing it. Welsh with a bit of German mixed in.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Characters are really what you make them, you know? Leaning into or actively away from the usual stereotypes is a decision, but some of the most memorable characters come from veering sideways and doing something that isn't one of the typical, codified genre standards nor a reaction against it.

As for voices/inflections, I've found that it doesn't matter what you do as long as you commit and know it's going to be something you're stuck with for a while. In my playing game, our dwarf is already a bit tired of maintaining Scottish. In my DMing game, where I'm running Lost Mine of Phandelver, they haven't met any of the Rockseeker brothers yet, but I'm intending Gundren to have a typical Scottish accent, but one of the others to be absolutely impenetrably Glaswegian, complete with slang.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elves are all Mrs. Bucket.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Druids aren't any more pigeon-holed into being hippies or eco terrorists than all clerics are catholic priests. The only thing druids need is a healthy respect for nature. I've seen them played as nature guardian types, I've seen them as the weirdo hermit who hates people, I've seen eco terrorists, I've seen urban druids who focus on fungus and composition, I've seen druids focused on finding sustainable living. Druids who are all about the thrill of the hunt and living free of rules. Druids who think moving from hunter gatherers was a mistake.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I rolled a Longtooth Shifter Warden yesterday, attempting to recreate my 4e man (sadly their stats aren't quite perfect anymore, but they're still good). It does a fantastic job capturing the flavor and ability of its previous gen counterpart. I haven't gotten a chance to take it for a spin yet, so I don't know how they do in actual play. The 2d6 damage reduction for a 1st level spell slot seems like a but much though.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Steve Irwin the Druid.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dameius posted:

Steve Irwin the Druid.

You remind me of the 3e Dragonlance-ish campaign I was in for a long time. I designed a whole Monster Hunter class so that I could play Steve Irwin as a kender. They got improved grappling abilities, could "rile" monsters, and at later levels got the ability to partially grapple larger monsters and impair their ability to attack. My favorite class "ability" at L2 was "running commentary:" the monster hunter constantly talks or whispers about the characteristics of the monster he's facing, giving him a -6 penalty to Move Silently checks.

Irwin died a bit less than a year after that and I quit playing the character.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Because it was already established by the time I took over the setting, I do use the Scottish, but only for some hill dwarves, since they are from highlands so it makes a sense. Mountain dwarves get accents from mountainous regions. Duergar and derro are likely going to be encountered in the Nordic region that also serves as an aboveground Underdark, so they are going to have Scandinavian accents.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm thinking about accents. I want to come up with a hick-type accent with leaning into the stereotypics british Devonshire or American south. I kind of want to come up with something novel, but I'm not sure what. And I can do Devonshire.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

One of my players has a blinkdog pet that’s been helping out in combat, should it be getting XP as well/pulling XP from the party at the end of a battle even though it can’t level up?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

change my name posted:

One of my players has a blinkdog pet that’s been helping out in combat, should it be getting XP as well/pulling XP from the party at the end of a battle even though it can’t level up?

Why won't you let it level up? (Also don't use XP)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

change my name posted:

don't penalize the party for using a cool doggo you let them have and also

Piell posted:

don't use XP

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah that’s fair, I’ll just let it have an extra hit dice every time his owner levels up

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If it doesn't keep pace with the players' power, it will stop being fun. So you should let it level up for maximum fun.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm thinking about accents. I want to come up with a hick-type accent with leaning into the stereotypics british Devonshire or American south. I kind of want to come up with something novel, but I'm not sure what. And I can do Devonshire.

Yosemite Sam-style prospector or Goofy are good starting points for "goober".

Deadwood movie is soon, that might be a good reference.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

change my name posted:

Yeah that’s fair, I’ll just let it have an extra hit dice every time his owner levels up

I think one of the UA articles was about sidekick characters, might be worth looking into that.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Speaking of, what are some good alternate styles for monk other than Shaolin karate-man? I've seen the luchador grappler one, but in 5e wouldn't that be better done with a barbarian?

edit:

change my name posted:

Be fey do crimes

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Speaking of, what are some good alternate styles for monk other than Shaolin karate-man? I've seen the luchador grappler one, but in 5e wouldn't that be better done with a barbarian?

Bareknuckle Boxer?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I always had an idea of making a druid who's just Willem Dafoe at the end of Antichrist. He'd just be loving sick of civilization. And relationships.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Piell posted:

Why won't you let it level up? (Also don't use XP)

Checkpoint systems and group XP are definitely good. I use group XP to supplement a de facto checkpoint system, in order to a) Give players awareness of progression and b) Keep myself honest in terms of encounter difficulty and party advancement. At the end of each session I'll take a look at the combat and non-combat encounters, compare them with my checkpoint intentions, and come up with a group XP amount that seems appropriate.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

edit:

Had an urchin halfing monk who was self taught was pretty much as much dirty fighting as possible while trying to not be caught/hit by the enemy (Drunken master Ghostwise Halfling)

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

edit:

Got a human drunken master similar to dereku's monk, except that he's flavored off as Bill the Butcher. Nothing about what he does is monastic and he fights dirty as hell, keeping handaxes as his weapons rather than anything else.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
I just thought of this but you could kinda argue Conan was a monk. Doesn't wear armor, is the quiet wise type, uses his fists as much as his sword. Re-flavor your ki as pure grit, lean away from Conan's muscles and towards agility, could be kind of a take on it. Your Martial Arts is all headbutts and shoulder checks.

Or just go Kensei and be an anime swordsman.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Baller Ina posted:

Doesn't wear armor,

Brace yourself

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m reading online that Paladins have Find Steed, but I’m unable to find it in the guide. What page is it on?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Professor Shark posted:

I’m reading online that Paladins have Find Steed, but I’m unable to find it in the guide. What page is it on?

PHB pp. 208, 240

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Find Steed is given much ado but tqbh its greatest utility is that you now have a pack mule that minds itself.

And even that assumes your DM cares at all about inventory management.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
It's a spell, their class section doesn't mention it at all. Check out Find Greater Steed in Xanathar's, also in the spell section!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

A warhorse is a pretty capable boost, especially if you throw some barding on it. An attack for 2d6+4, potentially knocking its target prone, and getting a second free 2d6+4 attack is solid for a lot of levels, not to mention giving you advantage for your melee smites if you do knock it down, and giving you a 60ft speed. A griffon with barding is even better, with Find Greater Steed. For just using a single spell slot, it's hard to beat.

A smart pack mule that can take care of itself is nice too, since it can be summoned again if it dies with all the gear safe and sound.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
If it dies the gear falls on the ground, actually.

This also dissuades you from using it as a disposable extra attacker if you fit it with barding (not that it's a bad use otherwise mind you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I’ve been making a divination wizard for a game I’m in whose gimmick is that he’s a cheaty gambler. He has the Lucky feat, and that’s gonna be combined with Portent. It’s probably gonna be hilariously broken.

That said, I’m considering also doing a 2-level Rogue dip for skills/Cunning Action; should I? If so, when? Also, any suggestions for spells I might not already have or should target in the future?