Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

MedicineHut posted:

I think you should consider being a bit more positive.

I am - I'm absolutely positive it's a load of rubbish.

EDIT:

Jonny Shiloh fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm really happy you at least can keep your anger up, with all the poo poo you have to go through.

Like, seriously, I really hope everything works out one way or another! Keep the cat dancing, and keep the rage flowing!!!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Quavers posted:

Did you stop rubbing?

I don't think I'll ever be able to rub again tbqh

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

big nipples big life posted:

So the citizens' nefarious plan to defeat us is already working

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Do you need us to post more sexy bear pics?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Do you need us to post more sexy bear pics?

only one way to find out

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tuo posted:

I'm really happy you at least can keep your anger up, with all the poo poo you have to go through.

Like, seriously, I really hope everything works out one way or another! Keep the cat dancing, and keep the rage flowing!!!

I feel like I am just replying to stuff about me, sorry all, just really busy at the moment but am reading.
That water thing is loving hilarious,

Water kills you because
1) Star Citizen accurately simulates all known substances and since it knows the water is toxic, you die
2) poo poo's all gently caress up yo

You'd be surprised which one most Citizens believe

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I feel like I am just replying to stuff about me, sorry all, just really busy at the moment but am reading.
That water thing is loving hilarious,

Water kills you because
1) Star Citizen accurately simulates all known substances and since it knows the water is toxic, you die
2) poo poo's all gently caress up yo

You'd be surprised which one most Citizens believe

Honestly I’d much rather hear about you vs reading tweets from the same crazy people or the same crazy poo poo from the same reddit posters.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Quavers posted:

Did you stop rubbing?

I've given up rubbing for cocking chili.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Harveygod posted:

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited.

this is why i refunded star citizen and backed subverse

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Greenplastic posted:

You guys know what we've been mostly missing out on? The writing! I can't wait to see Squadron 42 (if ever possible) and marvel at the literary magnificence of Crobberts and his ghostwriters. The characters! The drama! The world-building!

I looked a bit at the wiki about Arccorps, and... A city covering a planet, presumably home to billions upon billions (if its automated, why are there lights in every window on the skyscrapers?). This must have surely have taken centuries to build and populate!

Oh... 20. TWENTY YEARS. If anyone here knows maths, how much city would have to built per day assuming Arccorp is about earth-sized, or even moon-sized? And this is in a civilization where spacecraft are still driven manually, data needs to be transported by courier like its the 1800s, and drink-machines need to be constantly supervised so they get the ratio of ingredients right.

Luckily the writers compensate for this oversight with the incredible locations of Arccorps, with evocative names like "Area 17", "Area 18" and the bafflingly creative "Area 39". I can't wait to see more!

Edit: I don't post enough to ever get a snipe, so I am pre-paying my catte-taxe so I can show you my new kitteh:

Cat <3

I personally am looking forward to all the drama in the sexy Area 69. This is reported to be a hotbed of scum and villainy. Area 88 had its own... unique issues and attracts a lot of people who just happen to be born in 1988 and definitely nothing more devious than that. It just happens to work out that way somehow!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

If Elite gets base building it's gonna be poo poo, that's preordained. Not because FD is bad (they are) but because base building is a lovely pipe dream mechanic that never actually adds anything to an MMO, and even less to something that is barely an MMO like Elite. Think about how it would have to be implemented. One huge problem is making any player-owned base interesting enough to hold someone's attention after the initial "Whoaaaa this is coooool" moment. WoW ran into this with garrisons in WoD, and it turns out they were total dogshit, because it's really really hard to make a town or quest hub interesting enough to be worth continually exploring. When was the last time you actually walked around a video game town and checked it out for a third or fourth time? GTA V is the only game that really bucks that trend, but Los Santos kind of is the game there, and for as large and immersive it is, it's just the one city. One way to get around this is to do fully player-created cities like Shroud or uhhhh SWG? But the problem there is that you inevitably end up with some dude recreating the Basketball Hall of Fame or whatever, and after a couple months even he's not going to give a poo poo about it.

Base-building and space legs are both things people want because ImMeRsIoN but they're really really hard to do right. Space legs is a little easier - give each ship a mildly customizable interior so dorks can pretend to be Han Solo playing chess or whatever, and give each station a couple common rooms - but you have to make sure you don't fall into the trap of letting players walk everywhere inside the station, because there's no loving way to make it interesting enough to be worth it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Lol, citizens will go ape poo poo when ED gets space legs. Not that it will really add anything to the game, it’s still going to be a boring space truck simulator, it will just be fun to see them twist themselves in knots trying to say why Star Citizen is still better.

There's a good chance Frontier isn't going to model out the bathrooms for each ship and make them an interactive fetishized experience. So automatic failure and why SC is awesome in every way.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly I’d much rather hear about you vs reading tweets from the same crazy people or the same crazy poo poo from the same reddit posters.

I have tons of poo poo going on, it's all a bit full on but really cool

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Truga posted:

this is why i refunded star citizen and backed subverse

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

If Elite gets base building it's gonna be poo poo, that's preordained. Not because FD is bad (they are) but because base building is a lovely pipe dream mechanic that never actually adds anything to an MMO, and even less to something that is barely an MMO like Elite. Think about how it would have to be implemented. One huge problem is making any player-owned base interesting enough to hold someone's attention after the initial "Whoaaaa this is coooool" moment. WoW ran into this with garrisons in WoD, and it turns out they were total dogshit, because it's really really hard to make a town or quest hub interesting enough to be worth continually exploring. When was the last time you actually walked around a video game town and checked it out for a third or fourth time? GTA V is the only game that really bucks that trend, but Los Santos kind of is the game there, and for as large and immersive it is, it's just the one city. One way to get around this is to do fully player-created cities like Shroud or uhhhh SWG? But the problem there is that you inevitably end up with some dude recreating the Basketball Hall of Fame or whatever, and after a couple months even he's not going to give a poo poo about it.

Base-building and space legs are both things people want because ImMeRsIoN but they're really really hard to do right. Space legs is a little easier - give each ship a mildly customizable interior so dorks can pretend to be Han Solo playing chess or whatever, and give each station a couple common rooms - but you have to make sure you don't fall into the trap of letting players walk everywhere inside the station, because there's no loving way to make it interesting enough to be worth it.

Counterpoint: Subnautica, where base-building keeps you alive and is the foundation that progressively unlocks and enables the rest of the game.

Elite will not be this.

Edit: Subnautica is not an MMO, which I missed being the point because I did not read your post carefully. Base building in any MMO or MMO-like is invariably hot poo poo for a variety of reasons, so we agree.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 23, 2019

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I've given up rubbing for cocking chili.

Post hot pics of the cocked chili tia

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://twitter.com/pointclickbait/status/1131368531193237505

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

All of this, plus any specialized game mechanics around bases amounts to developer effort that could otherwise be allocated elsewhere. It’s almost always a trap.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

All of this, plus any specialized game mechanics around bases amounts to developer effort that could otherwise be allocated elsewhere. It’s almost always a trap.

A super point. It's not that I avoid base-building mechanics, but since I nearly never engage in them, I am wary of games that include them, because I know that means some other part of the game suffered for it. No Man's Sky comes up again as my example. There's so much potential in that game, but simple quality of life features are missing (WHY exactly can't you transfer my existing spaceship cargo from my old to my new ship that has MORE room? That's why I bought the loving thing.) while they add a new space plant or twenty.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

WHY exactly can't you transfer my existing spaceship cargo from my old to my new ship that has MORE room? That's why I bought the loving thing.

Literally the first Google result posted:

So when you open the tab of a new ship that you wish to claim, choose the "compare" option. When you do this, it will allow you to transfer items from your current ship to the new one (Technology not included). Transfer all the items you want, and then buy the ship! Hope this helped :)

:negative:

God I suck.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

:negative:

God I suck.

So base building... good?

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

God I suck.

Well the tech should be transferable too. Damnit.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:discourse::laffo:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sandepande posted:

Well the tech should be transferable too. Damnit.

Agreed.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

peter gabriel posted:

To be honest I don't use it for much, I am easy really.
When I wake up I instinctively start asking for toast, it confuses the nurses, cos it doesn't matter how short of a time I've been out of it, as soon as I awake I ask for toast because years ago they told me I can go home once I have eaten something, so this time for example I was asking for toast about an hour after coming back from surgery, then I fell back to sleep for eight hours instantly after asking :v:

There's got to be something better than asking for me when you wake up.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1131244865797406723

Just remember Derek backed 'Shroud of the avatar' to the tune of $150 and he also backed SC in the beginning.

I think the warlords mind is now completely gone.

The Ouya looks like such a joke in retrospect that it's hard to imagine how seriously it was taken at the time. But with the success first of the Wii, then mobile games, people genuinely thought that traditional game consoles were on their way out. I mean, EA even made Bioware put the newest Dragon Age on last-gen consoles because they were worried about sales of the new models. It even has a legacy of sorts in that it helped to encourage Sony to finally embrace indie gaming wholesale. It's stuff like this that makes the history of technology so fascinating. The oddest gadgets can have so much significance.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d_r2VHXf2E

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ManofManyAliases posted:

lmao

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

ManofManyAliases posted:

:perfect:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm glad that funny MoMA has account control again

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

ManofManyAliases posted:

Funny MOMA, best MOMA.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I wonder if starcitizen will be an Epic exclusive.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Larz posted:

Funny MOMA, best MOMA.

Beats Montoya at any rate.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

Beats Montoya at any rate.

Beating Montoya is not the kind of jpeg I was prepared to visualise

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

The Ouya looks like such a joke in retrospect that it's hard to imagine how seriously it was taken at the time. But with the success first of the Wii, then mobile games, people genuinely thought that traditional game consoles were on their way out. I mean, EA even made Bioware put the newest Dragon Age on last-gen consoles because they were worried about sales of the new models. It even has a legacy of sorts in that it helped to encourage Sony to finally embrace indie gaming wholesale. It's stuff like this that makes the history of technology so fascinating. The oddest gadgets can have so much significance.

There was a controller from the 90s called the "MindDrive" that was supposed to read brainwave signals and translate them into onscreen actions. Due to general tech ignorance a number of people really bought into the idea. All it actually did was translate tiny electrical impulses from your skin and send them to the PC and "translate" those into movement, so your character just sort of jittered around spasmodically.

What I'm saying here is that Star Citizen's development really goes back to the 90s.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

What I'm saying here is that Star Citizen's development really goes back to the 90s.

Makes sense, once hooked up to Roberts the Mind Drive stalled development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Honestly I think it coulda worked, it just hit at exactly the wrong time IMO. When you look at the pitch, a inexpensive dedicated android gaming box geared towards indie games, on the surface it seemed plausible. However while the Ouya was finalizing, Android sticks and TV boxes were just hitting their stride. By the time it came out you could grab something off of Aliexpress cheaper and sometimes with better hardware (you definitely can now). Add to that Ouya's failure to get exclusive (or even compelling) games and the mediocre controller, it basically made it dead on launch. About the only thing it did competently was being a emulation box, but any of those Aliexpress specials could do that too.

Still I would pick one up for :20bux: or so if I saw one, just because I could use it as a cheapo emulator box.