Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

The two episodes with the 'augment failures' or whatever you want to call them are not great though.

How dare you insult the episodes featuring a slightly hornier Divatox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So Bashir was actually being, on purpose, a loving creep to Jadzia. He's so smart, after all, and as we know with darts and his medical board exams, he played himself as a shittier, dumber person so nobody would catch on.

If he had truly bent his augmented will to it, he could have slept with literally everyone, no matter their orientation. Jadzia, Kira, Keiko, Sisko, Quark, Dax, Odo, maybe even the Prophets because why not?

Are you implying that convincing someone to bang you is just down to being smart? I'm pretty sure most MRAs exist due to that not being the case. Now, if you're implying that Bashir's parents would obviously spring for the smoothness gene, I'm willing to buy that.

Edit: Why did they turn augment Bashir into Data when they could have turned him into Billy Dee Williams instead.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I really liked that episode

To be honest I like parts of it but need to willfully ignore Bashir dating a sheltered patient he has a miraculous cure for (again).

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 23, 2019

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cat Hatter posted:

Are you implying that convincing someone to bang you is just down to being smart? I'm pretty sure most MRAs exist due to that not being the case. Now, if you're implying that Bashir's parents would obviously spring for the smoothness gene, I'm willing to buy that.

His inhuman level of genius basically is smoothness, but also lol at using MRAs as a counter to "being smart makes you bangable" because those guys are morons who don't get laid which is practically a supporting argument to Bashir whispering statistics in a pissy, bored monotone to successfully get into Morn's pants.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I got the sense that Bashir is a lot dumber (like the difference between a child to an adult) when compared to the other genetically enhanced.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cat Hatter posted:

To be honest I like parts of it but need to willfully ignore Bashir dating a sheltered patient he has a miraculous cure for (again).

I feel like a lot of people really miss the point that Bashir dating a sheltered patient was recognized to be wrong, even by him. I mean, banging Leeta must be fun, but imagine dating a hot girl with big tits that is also an augment like yourself? So much in common. But he recognizes that it's not right to do this kind of thing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3om4V_-Y0Q

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

guhh the TNG jingle at the very end :fap:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thanks! I hate it!

Why does every show have to have such vague weighty nothings of monologues?

It reminds me of an anime character saying "Is it true? Could it possibly be... that he was that person? The person who found elysium and drew that blade? The blade of legend? He drew that blade at a terrible price?"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Looks like the video was pulled already because it was an unlisted link sent to press that was supposed to be embargoed for another hour. There’s already mirrors of it out there though.

Kind of a nothing teaser, but it looks alright. Admiral Picard led a rescue armada 15 years ago (presumably to Romulus), something happened, and he left starfleet because of it.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Cat Hatter posted:

"Hey, girl who has never interacted socially with people before, would you like to go on a date with me, your savior who gave you this new opportunity and who you will continue to rely upon for follow-up care?"
C'mon son, catch up. We already discussed Melora a couple of pages back, no need to recap the episode.

Um...I completely forgot there was another one where Bashir was nailing his patient. (Though apparently he handed her care off to somebody and I guess DS9 was big enough, especially with war ramping up/present, to warrant two doctors. I only vaguely remember the episode for some reason and had to look it up.)

But the whole idea? :yikes:

Fake edit: I will train my tablet to stop autocorrecting Bashir to Basher one day

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't forget he also banged Melora who was not just his patient, but also a subordinate officer!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Looks like the video was pulled already because it was an unlisted link sent to press that was supposed to be embargoed for another hour. There’s already mirrors of it out there though.

Kind of a nothing teaser, but it looks alright. Admiral Picard led a rescue armada 15 years ago (presumably to Romulus), something happened, and he left starfleet because of it.
I have no idea but maybe someone close to him like Beverly died, that would potentially be a reason for him to quit

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

Here's a mirror for that Picard teaser

https://streamable.com/ad5re

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have no idea but maybe someone close to him like Beverly died, that would potentially be a reason for him to quit

Shinzon projected a hologram that followed Picard around everywhere and mockingly overplayed Picard's mannerisms to 150% level, echoed his orders in a whiny voice, made fart sounds whenever Picard sat down or shifted in his seat, etc. The bridge crew couldn't stop laughing every time it happened, so Picard quit Starfleet in a bout of depression.

Plus Shinzon hacked his replicator so that whenever Picard says, "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot", it replaces the tea with the delicious flavor of tepid Folger's crystals coffee.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

guhh the TNG jingle at the very end :fap:

Played on a flute :circlefap:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Some artist's interpretation of the new uniforms:
https://trekmovie.com/2019/05/22/a-close-up-look-at-starfleet-uniforms-from-star-trek-picard/

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Thanks! I hate it!

It reminds me of an anime character saying "Is it true? Could it possibly be... that he was that person? The person who found elysium and drew that blade? The blade of legend? He drew that blade at a terrible price?"

Are we really complaining about captain picard having an overdramatic monologue? That's like his whole thing

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I have a strong feeling about what this show is going to be about.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's actually someone else giving a monologue. Picard doesn't speak in the teaser and is only in the last shot (the rest of the trailer is a vineyard making Chateau Picard, so I guess when he retired he re-opened the family vineyard).

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Remember when? Remember when. Rememberwhen. rememberwhenrememberwhe

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I have a strong feeling about what this show is going to be about.

If I had to make an educated guess based on casting and Kurtzman’s comments:

Picard discovered something shady about how Starfleet was trying to take advantage of the Romulan refugee crisis to somehow leverage themselves into an even higher position of importance in the quadrant. He quit in protest and retired to his vineyard. Now some idealistic Starfleet person is trying to coax him out of retirement and recruit him for some unofficial mission to fix or investigate things and it’ll be all about Picard restoring Starfleet to the optimistic utopia we’re familiar with.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Standard Temperature and Pressure

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Thanks! I hate it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrfTLNUsqRc

He could have been leading the effort to rescue the Romulans but then their star exploded and he's the one responsible for Spock's death. Not really knowing that Spock went back in time and lived in an alternate timeline.

Nullsmack fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 23, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That looks great and I want one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blast Fantasto posted:

Are we really complaining about captain picard having an overdramatic monologue? That's like his whole thing

No it wasn't him having a monologue it was some other person giving a vague expository monologue at him leading up to a question. Monologues about something are all well and good. Monologues where everything is vague because you've written in your plot tree that the viewers don't know it yet are dumb writing, it just comes out as character saying nothing for only the reason to try and tease the audience.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Calling it now: Picard left Starfleet because he found out how they were going to withhold the cure from the Founders during the Dominion War

I mean, you guys know there's gonna be a DS9 callback or two.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Based on that trailer I think he saved a lot of romulans but something happened and a lot of people in Starfleet died in the process.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Picard discovered something shady about how Starfleet was trying to take advantage of the Romulan refugee crisis to somehow leverage themselves into an even higher position of importance in the quadrant. He quit in protest and retired to his vineyard. Now some idealistic Starfleet person is trying to coax him out of retirement and recruit him for some unofficial mission to fix or investigate things and it’ll be all about Picard restoring Starfleet to the optimistic utopia we’re familiar with.

Pretty much, but since Kurtzman isn't very subtle or smart(what if the klinks were like, really concerned with racial purity??????) I think it'll just be Starfleet deciding to look the other way and not help the refugees. There's been mutterings here and there that maybe some kind of brexit allegory too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Based on that trailer I think he saved a lot of romulans but something happened and a lot of people in Starfleet died in the process.

Ambassador Worf showed up and destroyed over 350 escaping romulan vessels due to the blood oath of the house of Mogh. Picard was forced to kill him in the event known only as Worf 359

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The show is obviously going to be about a vineyard competition with one of his old enemies.

Cote de Duras, with a taste that betrays the tongue!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Ambassador Worf showed up and destroyed over 350 escaping romulan vessels due to the blood oath of the house of Mogh. Picard was forced to kill him in the event known only as Worf 359

Already better than Enterprise or Voyager.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
If they do work the Romulan exploding bullshit in, I hope they at least have a throwaway line somewhere about Tomalak sacrificing himself in the midst of it all to save a buttload of civilians or something.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’d be pretty funny (re: awesome) if the only other returning characters are like, Sela and Wesley.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Spin-off where Wesley Travels into the Sliders universe, then he and Jerry O'Connell Slide over to the Goondocks to pick up Corey Feldman and go on a quest to see River Phoenix's body

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Does the narrator of that teaser sound a whole lot like Gina Torres to anyone else?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Does the narrator of that teaser sound a whole lot like Gina Torres to anyone else?

She does! I knew I recognised the voice as I heard it but I couldn't put it to a face/name.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m hyped because the trailer had two of my three demands: 1) the vineyard, and 2) tin whistle. Now all I need is a scene where SirPatStew weeps openly and it will be the best Star Trek series ever.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Pretty much, but since Kurtzman isn't very subtle or smart(what if the klinks were like, really concerned with racial purity??????) I think it'll just be Starfleet deciding to look the other way and not help the refugees. There's been mutterings here and there that maybe some kind of brexit allegory too.

I'm kind of okay with all this, I guess? I mean, I'd prefer it to be a forward-looking Star Trek show that just happens to star Picard again, but if you're going to do a focused character study none of this sounds particularly bad to me. Well, depending on the extent to which they play up "shady starfleet" stuff if they go that route.

I'm jazzed they kept the vineyard future.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Well, depending on the extent to which they play up "shady starfleet" stuff if they go that route.

just imagine "make vulcan great again" hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

just imagine "make vulcan great again" hats

I mean, they tapped that well pretty hard already in Discovery. They have to be aware it's played out by now, right. Right??? :sweatdrop: