Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Vegetable posted:

What was the best battle?

To me it's still Blackwater. It was perfectly scripted with a ton of the most interesting characters. The ones with the Night's Watch lack enough compelling characters imo

Probably Blackwater, yeah. Tons of plot threads coming together in a satisfying way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the idea that stories are powerful was probably something they got handed from GRRM as a bulletpoint

Maybe. I took it as Inglorious Bastards-style masturbation where the writer/director tells the audience that writers and directors are the most important thing in the universe.

Though that fits Gurm as well as it does D&D, so maybe it'll be in the future books (:lol:) too.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Yea at least Ctrl+F for the link on the current and previous page :v:

sorry, posted from the phone app which doesnt have search and i was also 500 posts behind.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the idea that stories are powerful was probably something they got handed from GRRM as a bulletpoint (it comes up in episodes 3 and 6) but they didn't really do enough work to sell us on that theme so it feels out of place. Some examples that have sortof survived are Samwell finding out about White Walker weaknesses from old legends and Jon's heritage. Maybe Dany repeating the mistakes of her ancestors was also meant to tie into that.

I mean Robert's Rebellion started because of the wrong story, and several other events happen in the books because of stories or rumors.

It's not like that theme isn't in there, it's just not explored in the span of 6 episodes at all

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Like a lot of potential points this season could’ve had, the pieces were there, they just never made them work together.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vegetable posted:

What was the best battle?

To me it's still Blackwater. It was perfectly scripted with a ton of the most interesting characters. The ones with the Night's Watch lack enough compelling characters imo

it's definitely blackwater. i'm at the wall battle in my rewatch - it does contain one of my favorite scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtI7-aLhn8Y

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Also it is just clear conjecture and speculation but I personally think Littlefinger was a part of Robert's Rebellion, like encouraging and spreading the rumors Rheagar kidnapped and raped Lyanna because it would get Brandon Stark to fly off the handle and get himself killed, leaving Cat to him. When she married Ned instead he had to come up with a new plan.

Like from what I have read Baelish loving hated Brandon for humiliating and scarring him in that duel, and taking Cat from him. Seems like an extremely Baelish move

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Koalas March posted:

Honestly them showing Greyworm being a little hesitant to execute the surrendered soldiers but doing so because of "orders" would have gone a long way to me believing he'd be willing to keep Jon alive.

I bought GW’s anger, though - he had lost his reason for living. He’s ‘gently caress everything’ once Missandei is gone.

Once Dany dies, he’s accepted it’s all over, but still wants some kind of satisfaction - which he doesn’t get.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Red posted:

but still wants some kind of satisfaction - which he doesn’t get.

He should be used to that feeling though.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Bigass Moth posted:

So the night kings master plan was:
1. Amass an army of undead guys for a few thousand years
2. Never learn how to use boats, so the wall can’t be crossed
3. Hope dragons still exist and that he can get one someday to destroy the wall
4. Endless winter because...?

I don't think he was active for long before the show starts, I think the idea is he was sleeping or imprisoned, or weakened or some poo poo until magic came back with the comet.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

I don't think he was active for long before the show starts, I think the idea is he was sleeping or imprisoned, or weakened or some poo poo until magic came back with the comet.

He was active before that, but because it was the wildlings that were killed no one cared.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Did anyone ever figure out what was up with Arya and that horse? They really put a lot of emphasis on that and it just kind of went nowhere?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Did anyone ever figure out what was up with Arya and that horse? They really put a lot of emphasis on that and it just kind of went nowhere?

All the way back in season 2, after the Hound saved Sansa's life, Shae told Sansa that her horse was better fed than the rioters' children. Now we know why, it was so the horse would be nice and healthy to save Arya's life.

Other than that, the writers realized that after showing Arya almost die 3 times in a row they had to show that she was still alive after all, and that's all they could come up with.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

It's just cheesy crap to put on the screen when the sequence's natural resolution is arya walking away by herself.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I thought it was "babby's first symbolism" with the pale horse of death and she was going to kill Dany, but :lol: I gave D&D too much credit thinking they could use any symbolism, besides "Dragon melts down throne because he suddenly understood abstract concepts of power and corruption"

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's definitely blackwater. i'm at the wall battle in my rewatch - it does contain one of my favorite scenes:

Grenn was cool. I loved that little moment earlier in the battle when Thorne leaves Slynt in chargeon the wall and he's freezing up/doesn't know what to do and won't listen to Jon.

Grenn takes like two steps, dips out through the archway then immediately back in going 'Thorne needs you!', and coward he is, Slynt goes 'Yes, very good!' and clears out.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Bran’s first act as king is going back in time and making Ned kill Jon as a baby, collapsing the timeline and ending the show in a quick cut to black.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is a direct example of the nosedive this show took. A secondary character (though a fan favorite) and a bunch of nameless dudes in a scene like that. They couldn't put that together with main characters people cared about. Compare THAT scene with Jon stabbing Dany. The latter should have been as or more impactful than the former.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

TulliusCicero posted:

I thought it was "babby's first symbolism" with the pale horse of death and she was going to kill Dany, but :lol: I gave D&D too much credit thinking they could use any symbolism, besides "Dragon melts down throne because he suddenly understood abstract concepts of power and corruption"

Yeah, my hope from the horse scene was that it meant Arya was getting over her personal vendetta to go start murdering for the ostensible benefit of others ala the faceless men. It wouldn't really have fit with their lore because of the self-direction, but Arya starting to see the merit in some of their religious beliefs after her experience would've fit with her arc more than "go west, young serial killer".

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

For all the obvious pointing to how the Stark children are the "main protagonists" this and last season, most of them did exactly jack poo poo this season. Arya killed the NK and had an admittedly sweet goodbye to Sandor, but besides that was effectively written out. Sansa spread rumors and seemed plotty, but most of it amounted to "anger Dany", and did gently caress all otherwise, Jon's main contribution was distracting an Ice Dragon from behind corpses, spreading his heritage out so Dany wouldn't trust him, and then killing his mad lover in the most limp way possible.

And don't even get me started on "Bran the Bore". Never have I seen a series finale that so refused to allow its protagonists to do important things. Even Dany was not an organic character, and just a plot device depending on the episode.

Arya's "eyes" prophecy effectively amounts to jack poo poo, as does Azhor Azai and the Valonqar. It's like they were afraid of taking too much time to let characters do things. Were D&D just like "wrap this up people, we got a meeting with Disney about Star Wars in an hour!"?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 23, 2019

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

There may have been some significance to the fact that it was the horse ridden by the commander of the Golden Company, that throws him when the gate gets exploded from the inside.

Perhaps two battle-worn survivors leaving the field together?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The pale horse was a Revelations reference, and like anything religious, was promptly forgotten about a week later

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TulliusCicero posted:

I really hated how they portrayed Grey Worm in that scene as perfectly willing to go along with war crimes because Dany said so and his girlfriend died so he is sad. Add to that he is seen as a "foreign" invader by Westeros and by the audience and there is just so much baggage there, and undermines his established character we have seen so hard.
Here's what they should've done:

End of Battle of Winterfell, Melisandre grabs the (place where the) junk (would be) of one of the remaining Unsullied, and does her fire trick. All their pants catch on fire, and they quickly pull them off. We then get a long meandering shot that reveals that their junk has been resurrected. Next episode, all the Unsullied have embraced the Lord of Light, and we see Varys look on in a combination of envy and fear as they add fiery decals to their armor - he didn't get his dick back, and he's not a friend of fire worshipers. Dany meanwhile is sympathetic to the Lord of Light because he loves fire too and because Missandei is in a real good mood all of a sudden.

Next episode, Varys betrays Dany and kidnaps Missandei, delivering her to King's Landing as a way to get an audience with Cersei to deliver an important message that he believes will help her defeat Dany. We get the scene of Missandei on the wall, but Varys steps a little too close to her and starts monologuing about standing up to fire worshipers. Missandei takes her shot and jumps from the wall with Varys in tow. Dany and Greyworm fly into a rage, and her dragons react to that by going nuts, which eventually results in one Rhaegar getting shot down while Drogon is finally convinced to retreat. In the chaos, Grey Worm runs up to Missandei and sees she's still alive if horrible injured - her fall broken by Varys' considerable girth. The exploded Varys beneath her has left a pool of blood in the shape of a fiery heart, foreshadowing the burning of the city.

Final episode is basically the same, except Missandei has recovered by the time of the dumb trial-election, and she manages to convince Grey Worm that the Westerosi are beneath them and they should all just go to the Summer Isles to relax on the beach.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Only slightly more emphasis than Bran worging into a bunch of birds shortly before NK got stabbed, which also went nowhere.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Groovelord Neato posted:

ahh good choice!

totally forgot about that scene,funny seeing old faces from seasons past.And then after the battle's over you find none of them ran and still managed to kill it at the cost of their own lives.

my uncle's best mates with edison tollet https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0174005/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t21 and we were distraught when he died right at the end,my mum was crying.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It looked cool. That's it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The tactics in the Winterfell battle are just so loving bad I'm sorry I know it is grognard as gently caress but goddamn

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TulliusCicero posted:

Were D&D just like "wrap this up people, we got a meeting with Disney about Star Wars in an hour!"?

Since about season 5, yes. But not all star wars, there's also their "What if the Confederacy won?" series.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

The tactics in the Winterfell battle are just so loving bad I'm sorry I know it is grognard as gently caress but goddamn

it isn't really grognard to think defending a keep by standing farther away from the keep than the firepit with a chokehold is retarded. It completely deflates the suspension of disbelief. Even LOTR got it more right.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i view the dothraki death charge and the other laughable tactics the same way i viewed that giant fuckoff scythe from the battle at the wall

i mean yeah it was stupid and horribly impractical but, far more importantly, it was rad as hell

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
grey worm and the unsullied were maybe my favorite part of the later seasons, i really love the idea of these men who were comprehensively victimized in the most fundamental ways learning to be people again and using their training to liberate other slaves. eventually they even cross the sea and become the actual physical shield of the human realm. of all the dumb things that happened in the siege of winterfell, i loved the bit where grey worm led an infantry square out around Melisandre to see the trench fired. ending with the wet fart of the unsullied not even hesitating to butcher prisoners was such a disappointing negation of the few brushes of characterization the unsullied got, like the guys who hired prostitutes in mereen to cuddle. they could've been a story of the most brutally enslaved of all slaves growing beyond their conditioning and fighting for something they chose, but in the end they never got to be much more than dany's murder machines.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

i view the dothraki death charge and the other laughable tactics the same way i viewed that giant fuckoff scythe from the battle at the wall

i mean yeah it was stupid and horribly impractical but, far more importantly, it was rad as hell

Also, I mean what are they going to do, flank the hundreds of thousands of skeletons? But also thanks for reminding me of that stupid scythe lmao.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

That's fine but you could do similar things with a much better plan. Maybe something goes wrong with a more reasonable defence and they charge in a slight panic or something

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's not even just the charge. It is basically (literally?) every aspect of the battle is just "wtf are they thinking?"

I could break it down a bit if anyone cares but in a nutshell it is astounding that none of the characters apparently has any idea what defense in depth is.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I honestly never got the impression that anyone but gray worm were anything more than the programmed robotic slaves they were trained to be. Was there literally any other Unsullied with a personality/lines?

It's basically just the movie Soldier with Kurt Russell. The one boy soldier that got exposure to the real world had some character growth, the rest just shrugged and did what they were told like they were programmed to do.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And yeah you can still have rad visuals. There's still a role for the dothraki.

The Unsullied do what they are told yeah, that's the conceit with them. It's not their fault the commanders in charge are utter incompetents.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

It's not even just the charge. It is basically (literally?) every aspect of the battle is just "wtf are they thinking?"

I could break it down a bit if anyone cares but in a nutshell it is astounding that none of the characters apparently has any idea what defense in depth is.

Oh yeah I'm just pointing to the absolute most obviously wrong tactical decision - one you don't need to be a grognard to notice at all. There's more, like lack of proper recon despite having dragons and a guy who can control ravens, artillery being outside the keep etc.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Like my dungeons and dragons group makes better plans and anyone who's played dnd with alcohol on standby knows how loving retarded rpg player plans actually are

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Poll: Most 'Game of Thrones' Viewers Liked Finale Despite Online Outrage

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/how-divisive-was-game-thrones-finale-viewers-were-mixed-poll-finds-1213014

Some interesting numbers in this poll, apparently 65% of viewers plan to keep their HBO subscription while 12% say they'll cancel. 69% (nice) say D&D's involvement with the finale has no effect on their Star Wars future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

Also it is just clear conjecture and speculation but I personally think Littlefinger was a part of Robert's Rebellion, like encouraging and spreading the rumors Rheagar kidnapped and raped Lyanna because it would get Brandon Stark to fly off the handle and get himself killed, leaving Cat to him. When she married Ned instead he had to come up with a new plan.

Like from what I have read Baelish loving hated Brandon for humiliating and scarring him in that duel, and taking Cat from him. Seems like an extremely Baelish move

Isn't it only Robert who gives a poo poo about Rhaegar? The real kickoff was when Brandon and Rickard went to see wtf was going on and Aerys had them burned alive.

There's also loads of hints about all the various machinations and "southron ambitions" going on before the rebellion. IIRC:
1) Great Lords tended to stay involved only in their region. Starks would marry Northmen, Arryns would marry Valeknights, Lannisters would marry their cousins
2)In the War of the Ninepenny Kings the Great Lords fought alongside each other and grew closer
3)There were a bunch of fosterings going on - Littlefinger at Riverrun, Ned and Robert at the Vale
4) Loads of the Great Lords made marriage pacts - mostly masterminded by Hoster Tully, Robert to Lyanna, Jon to Lysa, Brandon to Cat
5) The Maesters were encouraging all this for *suspicious* reasons
6) Rhaegar seemed to know that there was discord brewing, and his last words to Jaime before the Trident was literally "when I get back, we're gonna make some changes around here"

There's enough shenanigans and plotting going on that you don't really need Littlefinger to be pulling any strings. Especially as he doesn't have any political or economic power until after the rebellion - until then he's just some dumbfuck nobody.