Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

whydirt posted:

It has the only good alignment system in an RPG

The Liberal/Noncommittal/Conservative axis and Granola/Noncommittal/Establishment axis still ring true today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/Noontide108/status/1131161780489793536?s=20

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I’d blocked out that Halfling bard from the 5e PHB.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I kind of hate that they use D&D, and bad editions of it at that, as representative of "western X" and not, like, the Rankin-Bass hobbits.

But still, the only reasonable response to that selection of images is "wow, this ALL sucks."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Maybe the game sucks, but Granblue Fantasy's high number of warrior/soldier/other types of badass halfling equivalents is really good. It's what I think of when I make halfling characters of my own

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I think that's the first time I've ever seen an outright buff Halfling

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

whole lotta broken nerds on twitter with bad opinions about rpgs, like how on earth does anything on the left look cool or inspire you to play those characters? Well the pirate one is okay but I'm just a sucker for that dude's art.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Halfling Jagi is loving awesome and I will hear nothing against him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think Forgotten Realms 3e had some reasonably buff halflings, although they were still fairly lean compared to these other guys.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Japanese Halflings need more Chilchack.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Dungeon Meshi is so good.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ratoslov posted:

Halfling Jagi is loving awesome and I will hear nothing against him.

Yeah, they even put the scars on his chest but he's different enough that I'm guessing it's a homage and not a collaboration.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Fuego Fish posted:

Dungeon Meshi is so good.

This is my new favorite thing ever thank you so much.

Dwarf Fortress but it's all gnomish dwarves.

I can't take it, oh god

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ugh, I hate all those halflings. The western ones all big face/tiny foot syndrome (especially that completely hosed up bard), and the Japanese ones are basically fifty dollars of visually confusing microtransactions.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Anyone who thinks the western halflings on the left are in any way better is a terrible person :colbert:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ProfessorCirno posted:

Anyone who thinks the western halflings on the left are in any way better is a terrible person :colbert:

I think if you think either are good you're probably a weirdo.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

theironjef posted:

... the Japanese ones are basically fifty dollars of visually confusing microtransactions.

That's the best description of that style of thing I've ever heard.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PinheadSlim posted:

This is my new favorite thing ever thank you so much.

Dwarf Fortress but it's all gnomish dwarves.

I can't take it, oh god

Dungeon Meshi is cool because it's a pretty fun-but-standard D&D world, but the creator is really great at making all the standard D&D races look visually distinct. That's something a lot of other D&D-based settings gently caress up, especially between the halflings and gnomes.

I know I saw her versions baldur's gate characters posted here a bit ago, too, but it's worth re-sharing:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In a just world she could draw Jim Zub's Baldiur's Gate comic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
tag yourself im Rasaad

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm Boo

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Tiax, same beard energy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm the Imoen who goes from happy-go-lucky to scarred and cynical.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

That's the best description of that style of thing I've ever heard.
Yeah, I don't like to hate on stuff people like but they look like Gaia Online avatars.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Where tf are Edwina and Sarevok

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm the Imoen who goes from happy-go-lucky to scarred and cynical.

That change is probably my favourite bit of those images.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I like that Jaheira gets her hair highlighted and styled now that she's single.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'm sad not to get lady Edwin.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
My most supreme respect lies in Ryoko Kui's ability to make Aerie not look like a demented frog

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Whoops, someone mislabelled Clara as another Hexxat :v:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yo Fellowship 2e is pretty great, and it's the deal of the day on DTRPG.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

That Old Tree posted:

Yo Fellowship 2e is pretty great, and it's the deal of the day on DTRPG.

That does look really cool, I just wish more of my friends were into big collaborative storytelling and worldbuilding aspects in games. I've only got 2 friends into that and neither of us ever have time to play RPGS together

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I got this promoted tweet and wtf they got the rights for the D&D cartoon for a SUV commercial????

https://twitter.com/RenaultBrasil/status/1131702977503408128?s=20

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
that's the canon ending now

they get home because SUV

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
of course Venger is a cop

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Plutonis posted:

I got this promoted tweet and wtf they got the rights for the D&D cartoon for a SUV commercial????

https://twitter.com/RenaultBrasil/status/1131702977503408128?s=20

Frankly, with all the Late Gen X/early Millennial nostalgia remakes happening now, I'm surprised that the old D&D TV series isn't the obvious choice for the D&D movie that's supposed to be out in 2021. Lean hard into it being a period piece about kids from the 80s falling into a fantasy world and you're basically cashing in on all the interest Stranger Things built up around retro D&D.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

There should absolutely be a D&D movie, but instead of a fantasy epic, it should be a dramedy about 20-somethings who need to learn that D&D is not the way to resolve their innumerably social dysfunctions. Friendships end, fights ensue, but two of the (movie) characters actually learn something, get their poo poo together, and live happily ever after. Those roles should to go to actors carefully chosen to troll fanboys.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zorak of Michigan posted:

There should absolutely be a D&D movie, but instead of a fantasy epic, it should be a dramedy about 20-somethings who need to learn that D&D is not the way to resolve their innumerably social dysfunctions. Friendships end, fights ensue, but two of the (movie) characters actually learn something, get their poo poo together, and live happily ever after. Those roles should to go to actors carefully chosen to troll fanboys.
D&D movie but they're all in their 40's still stuck in D&D land and one's missing an arm and one of them is dead and they killed uni for material components years ago and in the film they somehow make it back but they take one look at hosed up hell world and just :yikes: right back into the portal.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

This is a movie, not a Netflix series that'll get cancelled after two seasons despite critical acclaim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

This is a movie, not a Netflix series that'll get cancelled after two seasons despite critical acclaim

80% critic, 30% audience.