Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Every interview I've had in the last couple of years I was asked that question. It's really hard not to say "Celebrating the 5th anniversary of you asking me that question."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

everdave posted:

If you pay anywhere near sticker on a Hyundai you are doing it wrong. I not sure about Santa Fe but no more 6 speed auto real transmissions starting 2020. CVT in everything starting then. I love Hyundai I have an 18 Elantra I paid honestly $14k for (before taxes) on a $22 sticker. Car Play, blind spot warning, cross traffic warning. Big trunk. Highly recommend (at mucho $ off sticker). Wanted a Toyota badly but I’d have been paying 21+ and no Car Play. It makes a difference.

I'm looking at stickers around $33k-35k, looking at buying at $25k-27k... but I haven't started the dealer game yet. Maybe I should set a lower price point.

Edit: and with that, I'm looking new. For some reason, the 2017-2018 Santa Fes with similar spec (Limited or Ultimate) are within a couple thousand of just buying new. So I'm debating. I haven't bought a new car in 25 years, but I'm considering it.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 23, 2019

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Everyone needs to do themselves a solid and watch Chernobyl. It is bloody amazing to say the least

Kind of irritated they went with British accents though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

T-Square posted:

Every interview I've had in the last couple of years I was asked that question. It's really hard not to say "Celebrating the 5th anniversary of you asking me that question."

I just say something along the lines of "I'm always looking for new ways to bring value and grow professionally. I'd like to work with you and the rest of your team to identify where I can make the most impact, and I expect that answer will evolve and I will continue to find new ways to bring value."

I'm a consultant

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Geoj posted:

Yeah, that's a little weird. I'd rather they were speaking the native language and be subtitled, but I'm definitely in the minority there. Super awesome show though, watched through the second episode and that ending is super unnerving.

KillHour posted:

I just say something along the lines of "I'm always looking for new ways to bring value and grow professionally. I'd like to work with you and the rest of your team to identify where I can make the most impact, and I expect that answer will evolve and I will continue to find new ways to bring value."

I'm a consultant

Yeah, I usually answer something along those lines. I always inwardly cringe every time I hear it though.

Unrelated: y'all ever go to bed at a reasonable time, sleep a full 8 or 9 hours, and then just wake up feeling hungover for no reason? Even had a glass of water before bed, and in the middle of the night when I woke up to piss. Bodies suck.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

T-Square posted:

Yeah, that's a little weird. I'd rather they were speaking the native language and be subtitled, but I'm definitely in the minority there. Super awesome show though, watched through the second episode and that ending is super unnerving.

My thought was "if you can't cast actors who can speak with passable Russian accents then why bother with accented actors at all?"

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

slidebite posted:

Did they only make those things in that color and white? I swear, those are the only colors I ever see them in.

I think it's more that white and silver/gunmetal are the most popular colors in Japan, closely followed by black so they have more chance of surviving.

In general though people in Japan just don't like colorful cars because they make you stand out, which is unjapanese :japan:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I've always thought that a "British accent" is the go to accent when you can't/won't do native language and don't want to make it cheesy by having the actors do accents in English. I much prefer it to have the actors doing bad Russian accents.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

Absolutely untrue. This year has been rough but there haven't been regular layoffs since 2009.

Sucks for those guys. I had some friends let go recently and it's never fun seeing that happen.

thats because they lay off the contract white collar guys first

there were contract layoffs in 2016, 2018, and 2019

T-Square
May 14, 2009

But is that really a layoff, or just not renewing contracts

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Everdave mentioned CVT everything up there, which reminded me that my buddy let me drive his ‘16 (as I recall) Nissan Rogue to the ZZ Top concert. That was the first CVT I’ve ever driven, and it’s *weird*. It feels like there is no connection between what your right foot is doing, and what the engine/car is doing. I mean, it worked, but it felt... unresponsive, even though the car went faster. I’m not sure how to describe it. Press the pedal, get a little rev, then the rpms just hang there while the CVT does its thing and the car gains speed. And whacking the pedal to overtake quickly was even weirder, with no actual downshift, but the CVT sort of sliding down the ratios.
I’m sure I could get used to it, but it was definitely a change from a normal automatic, and a paradigm shift from a manual.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I just drove from Cleveland to NYC and back in a rented CVT Altima.

Really weird to see the tach changing +/- nearly 1000 RPM while the speed remains constant.

Averaged 40 MPG at a constant 75 MPH over 1,000 miles though, and that includes climbing a lot of hills to cross PA.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

KillHour posted:

I'm a consultant

Thats better than mine in my last interview. "I've never had a plan that long. I much prefer to focus on doing the best I can day to day and go from there. But hopefully I'll still be working here and busting my hump day to day making sure I prove that hiring me was a good decision."

Somehow they liked it. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

T-Square posted:

To be fair, this did happen once that I know of around 2013 I think. Not renewing and going more in house for that work and then rehiring some of the decent ones direct instead.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Thoughts so far from my annual trip pilgrimmage to the Indy 500. Changed it up a bit and flew into Chicago a day earlier - flights were so much cheaper that it paid for the extra time and then some.

Flight in was a bit rough at the end. One of my ears decided it wasn't going to pop and was getting so stuffed up that when it finally did release, it squeaked like a loving balloon deflating. Landing was probably the roughest I've experienced either.

Got a free upgrade to "whatever you want" on the rental car since they were pretty picked over. Ended up in a 2019 Santa Fe with 690 miles on it (nice) and holy poo poo this thing is actually nice. The last Hyundai rental I had was probably six years ago and while it wasn't a bad car, it had some glaring design flaws, like patchy blue LED backlighting on everything. This one the closest thing to a flaw I've found is that it seems to be really lazy on purpose when you mat the throttle, but once it decides to actually give you WOT it's not bad. I'm a bit blown away by how well the lanekeeping and adaptive cruise work, given that I've never driven anything with them before. It'll hold adaptive cruise all the way to a stop, when it finally requires input from you to go again. The lanekeeping feels a bit like encountering bump steer when it kicks in, so it's easy to override if you're exiting a freeway or something of the sort. I guess the auto stop/start on the engine is rough, but then again it's rough in every non-Prius I've experienced it it. Honestly I expect this thing to eat up the miles from Chicago to Indy tomorrow like nothing. I'm never buying anything "nice" without at least adaptive cruise and Android Auto ever again. And this is in the base less-than-$25k trim. I think the only thing it's going to be way off on my CR-V on is mileage, which makes sense because it's considerably larger and has AWD.

Finally, holy poo poo I have never experienced drivers (and pedestrians) as awful as Chicago. Red lights, crosswalks, green lights, lane lines, all mere suggestions that can be remedied by just loving sending it and laying on the horn.

So you're in Chicago for the day? If you hit up the Bean, yell my name over the railing to the west at the poor assholes working out on the patio. Maybe I'll answer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MOT is up on my GS300 luxobarge in a few weeks, I only bought it because I want a 2JZ to transplant and an entire car with a 2JZ was cheaper than just buying an engine, plus it's easier to check the condition of it if it's powering a loving car... So the thing has had a fairly rough seemingly motorway-based life and the previous owners never treated it to a spray underneath after driving through salt so it's fairly rotty in places. I tried to jack it up at the seam behind the driver's side rear wheel and the jack just started pushing through so it's really not worth spending cash on to repair. That and a 3l straight 6 isn't really great for my commute to work to go sit in traffic. I resent burning cash and not having my foot to the floor whilst doing it.

So I'm going to buy a super cheap 2nd hand, probably granny-owned tiny little car. One big enough that I can fit my mtb in the back of so I can go drive around the UK and ride places for little petrol cost. Let's see how cheap we can go! I want to see what I can get for my money, bear in mind the GS300 was £350... a luxury car for that money is hard to turn down but I doubt I'll get a solid little tootlemobile for that sort money but I'll try!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

T-Square posted:

considering they contract a shitload of stuff out so that they dont make the news when they axe poo poo, i think its corporate hair splitting :shrug:

Geoj posted:

to be fair, if you learn english in europe you're probably going to learn it from a british person and have a bit of a british accent

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I mean, yeah I guess it kinda is splitting hairs.

I was all excited to test out my meat grinder and make scratch burgs and scratch buns for a cookout on Saturday, but now everyone wants to cook their own poo poo and I can't justify buying all of the cuts I wanted to make burgs with just to feed myself. First world problems. :(

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

How well does that work? Can you use google maps with it or is it locked to apple maps?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

keykey posted:

How well does that work? Can you use google maps with it or is it locked to apple maps?

you can use google maps + whatever other apps have CarPlay enabled things

i get to work on the AndroidAuto functionality for my app soon :mrgw:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

you can use google maps + whatever other apps have CarPlay enabled things

i get to work on the AndroidAuto functionality for my app soon :mrgw:

Nice! Funny thing about AndroidAuto, my Honda Fit came equipped with it and steering wheel controls only work-ish with a handful of Android phones, but function perfectly with iPhones. Also, the steering wheel phone controls only integrate with iOS to Siri and not Google/Samsung voice assistants, Android is a total no go even with Nexus/Samsung phones. I'm not sure how it works on the back end but any Android handset connected the speech to actions poo poo the bed, it will throw in ? and + into phone numbers. You can say call so and such and it'll say "calling 67+853??7+" it's super hosed up. It made me switch back to my old iPhone 6 just so I don't get frustrated.

Honda made a few other interesting decisions as well. It has an HDMI port that's only active when the car's in park, I've never used it and never will. It has 1 usb port next under the temperature controls, but 2 ports in the glove box.

keykey fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 23, 2019

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So I'm going to buy a super cheap 2nd hand, probably granny-owned tiny little car. One big enough that I can fit my mtb in the back of so I can go drive around the UK and ride places for little petrol cost. Let's see how cheap we can go! I want to see what I can get for my money, bear in mind the GS300 was £350... a luxury car for that money is hard to turn down but I doubt I'll get a solid little tootlemobile for that sort money but I'll try!

As a bit of a tiny car connoisseur myself I would recommend using a bike rack rather than fitting it in the back.

I could just force my mtb into the back of my Aygo (by winding the drivers seat forward a bit and the passenger seat forwards lots) but it wasn’t fun. There is no bike rack available for many small cars - I made one for my aygo out of box section that bolted to the unibody under the boot floor (still got it if you end up with an Aygo/C1/107 and want it!)

My Panda is similar. You can just about wedge a bike in the back but it isn’t easy or comfortable. However you can get proper racks for the Panda (I have a saris bones rack) and this makes it pretty awesome :)

Throwing the bike in the back overnight if you want to park it somewhere is one thing but doing it when driving a long way in a small car is not recommended!

Also - if you want to do tiny car ownership properly you need to buy something with a tiny turbo and 2 or 3 cylinders. (My 800cc 2 cyl tiny turbo is awesome)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Anyone have experience with trunk luggage racks? Most of my trunk space has been taken over by sick sound system and my back seat isn't always open to stuff poo poo into

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

considering they contract a shitload of stuff out so that they dont make the news when they axe poo poo, i think its corporate hair splitting :shrug:

to be fair, if you learn english in europe you're probably going to learn it from a british person and have a bit of a british accent

It's also produced by Sky and half the actors are british, so that probably plays into it a small part.

I can't see how having non-russian actors doing comedy russian accents would have improved this show any.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's also produced by Sky and half the actors are british, so that probably plays into it a small part.

That makes more sense, I thought it was a case of "the audience is expecting accents so we'll give them (incorrect) accents" - like how every piece of cinema set in ancient Rome has the Romans speaking with British accents.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

And to be fair, they are using different British accents where someone (like Bryukhanov, who was Uzbek in real life) would have one.

But really, how much of a broke-brained loving goon do you have to be all up in arms about something like this. Show real good.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Taking a cruise this fall, Seattle round trip. Other than the museum of flight, other must sees? We'll be driving so I'll have a car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MrChips posted:

And to be fair, they are using different British accents where someone (like Bryukhanov, who was Uzbek in real life) would have one.

But really, how much of a broke-brained loving goon do you have to be all up in arms about something like this. Show real good.

I wouldnt call broke brained but basically doing dumb Russian accents would have added absolutely nothing and in fact been a distraction. They have otherwise gotten a truly startling amount of details correct and the whole mini series is remarkably accurate and unembellished from real life events.... and the dread and horror they have managed to project to the audience is an absolute masterclass.

TBH Chernobyl really is one of the best things ever screened on any media.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

slidebite posted:

Taking a cruise this fall, Seattle round trip. Other than the museum of flight, other must sees? We'll be driving so I'll have a car.

Flying Heritage Museum in Everett at Paine Field. Lemay Car Museum in Tacoma. Breweries if you like beer, there's something like 12 within a square mile in Ballard alone.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

keykey posted:

I used Waze all day today (kids just got done with school we drove down to Florida for vacation). It’s great to use the “big screen” for maps, especially in a budget sedan to have navigation right there it really is a must have for me for any NEW car in the future though I plan on keeping this one at least 4-6 more years.

Meatpimp you should totally be shopping new vs 2-3 years old when it comes to Hyundai, I don’t know why or how but prices seem to equal out. Plus I’m sure you could get zero or very low interest if need be.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

everdave posted:

Meatpimp you should totally be shopping new vs 2-3 years old when it comes to Hyundai, I don’t know why or how but prices seem to equal out. Plus I’m sure you could get zero or very low interest if need be.

This, when it comes to 2019 Hyundais and Kias they have a lot more standard equipment over previous years. It's one of the reasons I went with a 2019 Forte over a 2018.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I woke up to my phone being blown up by the manager that interviewed me yesterday. 3 calls, plus a text. Called back groggy as hell, since it was 2pm, so of course I'm asleep (I'm interviewing for an overnight position, don't usually wake up until about 2:30, normally work 3-11 as it is).

"How soon can you be here? I have someone that wants to talk to you"
Uhhh, 20 or 30 minutes? I don't live far, just need to get dressed.
"Okay. Ask for <name> as soon as you get here, he'll be waiting - he's the store manager"

Store Manager meets me as I walk in. We go to a conference room, we talk about 5 or 10 minutes. Couple of role play scenarios, he asks if I have questions, he answers them, then... "Tell you what, let's go to the next room. I have someone else I want you to talk to"

Walk into the next room. It looks suspiciously like an HR office, and the person that greets me looks a lot like an HR type. "Hi, I'm <name>, the HR manager for the store. So we'd like to formally extend a job offer pending a background check, how does $$/hour sound?"

Glassdoor made it sound like the hiring process takes several weeks. It took almost 2 weeks from when I applied to when I had my first interview, then it was about 24 hours from first interview to signing on the dotted line. Guess I'm a W2 slave again.

KillHour posted:

Different strokes, but I would have gotten up and walked right out of the interview if a hiring manager ever asked me that. That's an unacceptable attitude for a manager.

To be fair, I used the "sitting in your chair" line, which was a little aggressive on my part. I've also worked with a lot of "rough" no bullshit managers, and they're the kind of managers I prefer working with. I'd rather have someone slap me upside the head and tell me I'm loving something up, instead of writing me up after a couple of months of not knowing I've been constantly loving up.

slothrop posted:

Good luck! Nothing like a slightly scary new job to help you grow (and hopefully grow your income). Just remember - everyone else is making it up as they go too!

This is more of a lateral move in terms of pay. My actual take home will be a bit less than what I make now as a contractor (and one of my 1099 gigs is actually for this company; I had to terminate my contract with them today to accept the W2 job), but I won't have to worry about self employment tax, car expenses (less than 2 miles each way, vs the 100+ miles I drive a day now - I'll probably walk or bike most of the time), and if I can eventually make full time, there's a good shot at making it a career. Once you factor in all my current expenses, the pay comes pretty close to balancing out.

It's a job I've done before for a couple of different employers, it's an industry I've worked in before and enjoyed... I just need to learn their way of doing it. The meet and greet last night showed it wasn't much different from what I'm used to.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Good luck, STR! W2 work sounds like it'd be a lot less of a hassle for you.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That sounds great for you dude! It’s nice to be wanted and hired! Driving can be fun but it becomes a chore when it goes on for too long. My eight mile commute has ruined me. I don’t know how I’ll ever do anything different again.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Congrats STR. Honestly gently caress 1099 work, it's more often than not egregiously abused to take advantage of employees. Glad you're working on getting away from that. I did it for a couple years and my wife and I worked hard to dig out of like 4K of back tax debt she owed from years of doing 1099 gigs. She never filed because she was too anxious over money then when we got together I got to go :monocle: over her unfiled returns.

gently caress the "gig economy"

Edit: On the other hand the 1099 gig I had might have saved my life. Ten years ago I took the job as manager of a market research office for what at the time was more money than I had ever made. It was not a lot of money. At all. Even less once I realized besides being required to work every Saturday and Sunday I was also putting in 50-60 hours a week at the office. I realized that it's probably not healthy to debate between killing yourself and going to work so I quit and took a few part time 1099 gigs with my wife's company, and then parlayed that into full time work.

I turned that into working with my current company for five years now making even more money than before (still not a lot of money at all) but being way happier and having an actual work/life balance.

tl;dr gently caress capitalism

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 24, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

slidebite posted:

The Arboretum will be really nice that time of year, makes for a good walk, and the Museum of History and Industry is nearby, which is worth a look. Since your cruise ship will pull in downtown, check out Pike Place even though it's a tourist trap, the Pacific Science Center is nearby, and really cool, if you're a Pink Floyd fan, the laser light show is a must-see, if you like Naval History, hop on the ferry to Bremerton, look at a huge fleet of mothballed aircraft carriers, check out the Navy Museum, and the USS Turner Joy (destroyer museum) if for some reason Submarines are your thing, the Navy Undersea Museum 30 minutes north of there and is really good. Don't miss the opportunity to shove some Dick's in your mouth and have coffee and a Doughnut from Top Pot, while you're there you can marvel at all the beautiful electrical work, which I did.

Do you have any particular interests?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

Good luck, STR! W2 work sounds like it'd be a lot less of a hassle for you.

It's certainly a lot less record keeping. I bought a new laser printer late last year for the sole purpose of printing work stuff (the care and feeding of an inkjet got to be too much), and it has about 1000 pages on it now. That doesn't sound like a lot until you realize it's a home printer, and I use it primarily for paper copies of poo poo I know I'm gonna need if I get audited (with the random recipe thrown in).

I don't know if it counts double sided pages as 1 or 2 pages on the page counter; it has a built in duplexer, and anything for records get printed double sided (mainly to reduce how much space it takes up in my filing cabinet).

The biggest upsides will be a consistent paycheck and actual benefits. More than half of my income right now is from tips (and the tips are done when the order is placed, so there's no skirting around reporting them), and it seems like the worse the weather gets, the lower the tips get.

Previa_fun posted:

Congrats STR. Honestly gently caress 1099 work, it's more often than not egregiously abused to take advantage of employees. Glad you're working on getting away from that. I did it for a couple years and my wife and I worked hard to dig out of like 4K of back tax debt she owed from years of doing 1099 gigs. She never filed because she was too anxious over money then when we got together I got to go :monocle: over her unfiled returns.

gently caress the "gig economy"

Edit: On the other hand the 1099 gig I had might have saved my life. Ten years ago I took the job as manager of a market research office for what at the time was more money than I had ever made. It was not a lot of money. At all. Even less once I realized besides being required to work every Saturday and Sunday I was also putting in 50-60 hours a week at the office. I realized that it's probably not healthy to debate between killing yourself and going to work so I quit and took a few part time 1099 gigs with my wife's company, and then parlayed that into full time work.

I turned that into working with my current company for five years now making even more money than before (still not a lot of money at all) but being way happier and having an actual work/life balance.

The 1099 gig that I work the most actually pays pretty decent - a bad night normally puts me around 18/hr (occasionally less, but not often), a good night puts me around 25-30/hr. Tonight was right at $20/hr, which is average for a weeknight. And because of how much I drive (and how anal I am about tracking mileage; Triplog counts every single stop, with timestamps and addresses), I wind up paying little to zero personal income tax - I usually only pay self employment tax. But I got a nasty surprise on my self employment tax this year - almost $2000, after all of my deductions. Last year (so 2017's tax year) I owed a few hundred, with not-a-big-difference in income or miles.

This will be the most I've made in a W2 job - it's not a whole lot ($15/hr), but there's plenty of room to move up, and they told me what the wage caps were right off the bat, along with how often raises get handed out. I don't have a college degree (not far from an associate's, but that's not worth anything today), I'm not getting any younger, I'm at the age where entering trade school would be kinda difficult (given how many working years I probably have left), and retail is an industry I'm very familiar with.

Sat and Sun off is something I haven't known since I was 22; I've almost always worked food service and/or retail, and my current 1099 gigs are all food or package delivery. I honestly like having my days off be on weekdays, preferably staggered instead of 2 days back to back (... when I take 2 days off). It makes grocery shopping a lot easier.

As far as taxes, I'm on a payment plan for the 2018 tax year, but I'm current for past years. Related though, I keep seeing certified letters from the IRS in my USPS Informed Delivery emails for the previous tenant, but my letter carrier returns them (she knows he moved out a year ago, and he didn't leave a forwarding address). I finally got curious and punched his name into the county court website, and it turns out the IRS filed a lien against him for over $13,000 in back taxes. That's for just two tax years. :stonkhat: I guess he may have been screwed by the 1099 world, or maybe he worked 1099 driving gigs and didn't track mileage (mileage is a huge writeoff for me, and any gig worker is stupid to not track it; I've had my car about a year, and already put 40k work miles on it).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 24, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Congrats dude!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well I mean it's contingent on a background check, I'm not sure how deep they're going to go with that. I have zero criminal background aside from a shitload of speeding tickets when I was younger, but it's been long enough since I entered the 1099 world that I have zero references from former managers (they've all either moved on, or died.. literally - at least 3 former managers are dead, the rest I've lost touch with). I assume there's gonna be a drug test at some point too, though they didn't mention one (I'd be shocked if they didn't test).

They didn't ask for former employer contact info or references at any point, but a lot of my employment doesn't show up on whatever job history database Lexisnexis and Experian maintain (and some that I never worked do show up :argh: gotta love identity theft).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Congrats!

Glad nobody hosed it up for you from here this time. :v: