Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

Hentai Jihadist posted:

i still havent replaced liu beis starting troops so he's just got a wall of trash that runs in after zhang fei and guan yu kill everyone

e: i like this game I think, some of the stuff I'm not sure on but turn times are the number 1 dealbreaker for me and the turns are fast as hell
also i'm basically dominating every field battle, though seiges are tougher

Yeah I’ve only assaulted small towns and a mine, but one town had a meat grinder of 3 pairs of towers in it’s main entrance and a lot of the side alleys were barricaded with wood and trash. I thought that was a nice touch. We won, and quick but got hit hard nonetheless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Hentai Jihadist posted:

i still havent replaced liu beis starting troops so he's just got a wall of trash that runs in after zhang fei and guan yu kill everyone

e: i like this game I think, some of the stuff I'm not sure on but turn times are the number 1 dealbreaker for me and the turns are fast as hell
also i'm basically dominating every field battle, though seiges are tougher

I think Liu Bei is just particularly strong early on because of his starting army. It has to be the best army on the map at the start of the game.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm enjoying my Cao Cao game so far. I just keep engineering proxy wars between different people and Yuan Shao. Liu Bei even paid me the privilege of forcing him to fight another war. The best part is Yuan Shao has no idea. He has the highest opinion of me out of anyone.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i quite like the generic generals too, they've done a good job with all the relationship stuff of giving even your secondary stacks some nice flavour
i married some generic noblewoman to liu bei and everyone hates her and refuses to work with her lol

my generic champion got owned by one of yuan shaos tough guys but held out long enough for an honourable retreat (cool mechanic) and then guan yu strolled over and owned him in 10 seconds
just picked up a buff for guan yu that gives him terror when engaged in melee haha yell yeah

Anno posted:

I think Liu Bei is just particularly strong early on because of his starting army. It has to be the best army on the map at the start of the game.

I think Cao Cao has a similar setup but what I'm finding to work extremely well is sorta playing it like a warhammer ranged army. where I have a small shieldwall of the spear guard dudes who can form a phalanx just to catch arrows, then mostly archers. then my heroes go in and either guan yu duels them to death or him and zhang blob up enemies by engaging units before they get to my lines while my archers dump arrows into them

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 23, 2019

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Ragingsheep posted:

Did you buy from cdkeys.com?

Nope, bought a full price retail physical edition like the sucker I am

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Hentai Jihadist posted:

zhang blob up enemies by engaging units before they get to my lines while my archers dump arrows into them
lmao

So I don't need to unlearn the Warhammer hero blob tactic

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

lurksion posted:

lmao

So I don't need to unlearn the Warhammer hero blob tactic

nope, i just sent guan yu off to solo basically the entire enemy reinforcements and he killed 550 men. romance heroes work a lot like warhammer ones. though its annoyingly difficult to pin down enemy heroes that wont duel you

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Any good starting tips for zheng jiang?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

extreme unit sizes are dope

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Picking this up tonight -- how easy would it be, theoretically, to name Guan Yu as the heir to Shu and then get that limpdick Liu Bei killed, giving you the kickass omega-beard God of War as your king instead of some whiner about BENEVOLENCE?

Asking for a friend.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Is there special mechanic continuity from within a faction? Like does Cao Cao's successor still get to manipulate people?

Anno
May 10, 2017

ninjahedgehog posted:

Picking this up tonight -- how easy would it be, theoretically, to name Guan Yu as the heir to Shu and then get that limpdick Liu Bei killed, giving you the kickass omega-beard God of War as your king instead of some whiner about BENEVOLENCE?

Asking for a friend.

I think that should be pretty easily doable. You might need to get Liu Bei killed a couple times if you’re in romance mode.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Im now on my third new game and still have no idea what im doing or why I should care about half of the stuff it presents to me. The outfitting and levelling up of random officers just seems pointless

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

StabMasterArson posted:

Im now on my third new game and still have no idea what im doing or why I should care about half of the stuff it presents to me. The outfitting and levelling up of random officers just seems pointless

Welcome to total war

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Helion posted:

Is there special mechanic continuity from within a faction? Like does Cao Cao's successor still get to manipulate people?
Yup! You lose Cao Cao's faction-wide bonuses (the ones specifying that he must be leader, heir, or prime minister) and gain those of his successor, yet accruing credibility and and spending it on manipulating opinions/instigating proxy wars is yours throughout the campaign, just like how Dong Zhuo's successor has Intimidation whether that's Dong Min, Lü Bu, or someone else entirely.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How do I rearrange unit cards for deployment? All I’ve managed to do is is shuffle someone to the far right of the line after number-grouping them.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Interface looks terrible on 3440x1440 screen, I didn't have that issue with WH2. Never change CA :allears:

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Very cool. So do other successors have their own special bonuses comparable to the OG faction leaders, or are they strictly worse?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Welcome to total war

Oh. Good

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

StabMasterArson posted:

Have you played other 4X games before?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

queeb posted:

extreme unit sizes are dope

Whats the performance hit like?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Popete posted:

Whats the performance hit like?

I am playing Extreme and haven't noticed any issues with it. I get better performance in battles than campaign though.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Towers are way too vicious in this game. It's my only big gripe.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the ai really needs to gently caress off with vassalizing people as im about to kill them

Anno
May 10, 2017

Plan Z posted:

They are pretty savage. Has anyone tried having a few units of soldiers march at the front in one of the shield block formations to absorb their fire?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Plan Z posted:

Should be a simple fix to mod once RPFM gets updated

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So what I read, sieges are pretty neat.

If you burn down a gate / tower, you will hurt some buildings there. You can visually see the upgrade buildings in the map and if they burn, they get damaged.

golem_ii
Dec 22, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

Nope, bought a full price retail physical edition like the sucker I am

I also don't have it.

Sounds like it was supposed to be in the box. I bought mine from Amazon who told me they don't know anything about it and to contact Sega. Just waiting for Sega to tell me to contact Amazon...

Anno
May 10, 2017

Third World Reagan posted:

So what I read, sieges are pretty neat.

If you burn down a gate / tower, you will hurt some buildings there. You can visually see the upgrade buildings in the map and if they burn, they get damaged.

I sieged a town into a turn or two of starvation and when I attacked a tower was destroyed. Not entirely sure those two things are connected but I hope they are. More connection between map and battles is always welcome.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Plan Z posted:

They're insanely vicious but there's a lot of units with ridiculous crazy missile resist that I think you're meant to use as soaks on the way in. Like random sabre militia cav rockin the 85% missile resist or anyone in turtle formation.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

golem_ii posted:

I also don't have it.

Sounds like it was supposed to be in the box. I bought mine from Amazon who told me they don't know anything about it and to contact Sega. Just waiting for Sega to tell me to contact Amazon...

Hrm. Mine copy was from EB Games, but still shrink wrapped, so I guess I'll contact Sega and see.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

drat pretty much the whole eastern half of china declared war on me and encircled my territory entirely, this is gonna take a while to sort out

shockingly, my ally cao cao isnt too keen on coming to my aid

e: also why the gently caress do archers start with fire at will disabled but skirmish mode enabled??

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Only trust your fists.
Cao Cao wll never help you.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Kanos posted:

They're insanely vicious but there's a lot of units with ridiculous crazy missile resist that I think you're meant to use as soaks on the way in. Like random sabre militia cav rockin the 85% missile resist or anyone in turtle formation.

Cavalry charging full speed in still take like 1/3rd casualties before they hit the towers. They're loving nasty

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Hentai Jihadist posted:

drat pretty much the whole eastern half of china declared war on me and encircled my territory entirely, this is gonna take a while to sort out

shockingly, my ally cao cao isnt too keen on coming to my aid

He's probably starting the proxy wars against you because it's fun as hell

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

cao cao wouldnt do that he is strong and real and my friend

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Davincie posted:

the ai really needs to gently caress off with vassalizing people as im about to kill them

Isn't something like this working as intended? A faction that knows it is about to get crushed by you seeks help from your enemy and is willing to exchange sovereignty for being protected.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

I think the game tells you when Cao Cao instigates someone to start a war with you. Or maybe that's only true for some of the time.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Hentai Jihadist posted:

cao cao wouldnt do that he is strong and real and my friend

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Ragingsheep posted:

I think the game tells you when Cao Cao instigates someone to start a war with you. Or maybe that's only true for some of the time.

That has definitely popped up in the diplomacy notification for me but I assumed it was because I was playing as Cao Cao