Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

In these trying times we Californians must come together and declare Dead Reckoning the official state toilet

I changed it to a solution we can all agree on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

In a more just world, the homeless would be organizing and taking homes by force. That would be worth complaining about. Some poop in your suburban yard, gently caress off.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Grand Prize Winner posted:

In these trying times we Californians must come together and declare Rainbow Knight's property the official state toilet

:jerkbag:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i'm willing to learn about anything, so i'm going to go ahead and try and wrap my head around this instead of perpetuating a derail

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Panfilo posted:

In spite of what some goons may claim, I doubt they'd have the same level of restraint or compassion they expect everyone to have if this actually happened to them. Being homeless shouldn't give someone a pass to poop in someone's yard.

Well like I said I lived in Riverside and saw street making GBS threads pretty regularly so yeah my reaction would be to wrinkle my nose and go back inside.

I could get mad about it but to what end?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think we all know Riverside is already the official state toilet.

:v:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh by the way, the new homeless shelter SLO is building is like right next to the wastewater treatment plant, so it's automatically going to smell like poop, 24/7.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

acksplode posted:

I'm not saying it's good, I'm saying neither he nor his kids are the victims here.

Ok, I initially decided to peace out when Jaxyon implied I was victim blaming in being angry at a dude traumatizing my daughters because I didn't want to pull the thread too far off topic, but at this point I think there needs to be a reality-check.

In the incident I described, MY loving DAUGHTERS WERE THE VICTIMS!!! Take a moment before deciding to slam your keyboard and educate me on how I'm some kind of monster for thinking this, and think about what you just said. My girls will not go outside without an adult because of this, there is pile of other behavioral and emotional issues stemming from the disruption of their sense of safety in their own homes.

It is possible to see the homeless in general as victims of a system that needs to be changed while still agreeing that committing crimes that actually harm the well being of other people is not acceptable no matter what your condition. I AM a homeless rights advocate. I volunteered at a shelter in PA in my 20's, and I am 100% behind all the ideas this thread has for dealing with the issues. Success in convincing other people of these ideas is, however, contingent on acknowledging the harm that some homeless also have on the communities that deal with them. If I was some moderately uninformed guy who was on the fence about shelters, housing-first, etc. and got the response to my story that I received from at least two people here, do you really believe I'd listen to a single word that was said afterwards?

NPR ran a report that showed empathy for the homeless is fading startlingly fast in CA. Telling people whom are victims of crimes by the homeless that they need to just tough it out is not going to reverse that trend.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

I think we all know Riverside is already the official state toilet.

:v:

Riverside owns.

Victorville however...

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Do you propose we treat "guy who lost his job and his apartment and has been up poo poo creek for a year" the exact same as "homeless heroin addict who scrounges for enough money (or steals enough) to eat and get high" and the exact same as "delusional/mentally ill homeless guy who shouts nonsense at people on street corners and waves a screwdriver at them?"

The intersection of mental illness with homelessness is a problem that is harder to address than just being compassionate. It's not even safe to stick other homeless people in the same shelters/apartments as the seriously mentally ill ones. The physical shelters and beds and blankets need to be supervised and have rules enforced, or theft and vandalism make them unlivable. And you can't force the homeless into shelters against their will. Just giving people homes and expecting them to sort it out is obviously not what anyone is saying, but what's the correct solution? At what point is institutionalization or criminalization the right solution for a specific homeless person, both for their sake, and society's safety? You can't say never... at some point it's too dangerous to have someone who won't/can't follow basic rules on the street.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Ok, I initially decided to peace out when Jaxyon implied I was victim blaming in being angry at a dude traumatizing my daughters because I didn't want to pull the thread too far off topic, but at this point I think there needs to be a reality-check.

In the incident I described, MY loving DAUGHTERS WERE THE VICTIMS!!! Take a moment before deciding to slam your keyboard and educate me on how I'm some kind of monster for thinking this, and think about what you just said. My girls will not go outside without an adult because of this, there is pile of other behavioral and emotional issues stemming from the disruption of their sense of safety in their own homes.

It is possible to see the homeless in general as victims of a system that needs to be changed while still agreeing that committing crimes that actually harm the well being of other people is not acceptable no matter what your condition. I AM a homeless rights advocate. I volunteered at a shelter in PA in my 20's, and I am 100% behind all the ideas this thread has for dealing with the issues. Success in convincing other people of these ideas is, however, contingent on acknowledging the harm that some homeless also have on the communities that deal with them. If I was some moderately uninformed guy who was on the fence about shelters, housing-first, etc. and got the response to my story that I received from at least two people here, do you really believe I'd listen to a single word that was said afterwards?

NPR ran a report that showed empathy for the homeless is fading startlingly fast in CA. Telling people whom are victims of crimes by the homeless that they need to just tough it out is not going to reverse that trend.
This is a good post.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 23, 2019

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

"I don't care about homeless people and telling me to just makes me do it even less"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anonymous Zebra posted:

This is fair though yeah, I'm def not trying to group myself in with the people who are arguing against this.

Honestly everyone in that situation is a victim to one degree or another and it's just a poo poo show capped off by the fact that you know calling the cops means a non-zero chance that anyone involved (you, your daughters, or the homeless person) might be shot and killed.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

"I don't care about homeless people and telling me to just makes me do it even less"
Telling people upset about strangers making GBS threads in their yard in front of their kids that it's their fault because they bought a house before curing California's homelessness problem isn't going to win many converts, no.

acksplode posted:

In a more just world, the homeless would be organizing and taking homes by force. That would be worth complaining about. Some poop in your suburban yard, gently caress off.
I don't think everyone using violence to seize the resources they think they need from whoever they deem their betters is a good organizing principle for society.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think everyone using violence to seize the resources they think they need from whoever they deem their betters is a good organizing principle for society.

Not in of itself no but in the context of 2019 America yeah the homeless really should just start doing organizing squatting in empty houses like half the vacation mansions here in La Jolla / Del Mar. At the least.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
My entrance to the discussion was "hey even the idea of hosing down a homeless person is pretty hosed up" and "if you're going to be mad, be mad at the city for not dealing with homelessness because otherwise you're just going to be mad at people who are also victims".

But we can't really have a discussion on that because 5 people want to make it very clear about how mad *they* would be if some uppity homeless used their garden as a bidet and that clearly anyone saying anything besides that wants front yards designated as public latrines.

People want to be more mad about making GBS threads in their yard because that's something they can control and people feel nothing will be done about homelessness. Yeah it sucks this happened to you, but it sucks it happened to the homeless guy as well.

It sucks all around and it will continue to suck until we treat people like human beings.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I am certain that it must be awful to not feel a sense of safety in your own home. I understand that this event was traumatizing for your kids. I can relate: seeing people forced to live like animals traumatizes me constantly, though I'm better equipped to handle it emotionally since I'm an adult. But it still weighs heavily.

Here's the thing though: I've seen zero concern for the sense of safety in his own home for the guy who was making GBS threads on your lawn. He straight up doesn't have a home to feel safe in, or anyone to help him feel safe. At most I see acknowledgement of abstract systemic problems, but not of the specific misery this guy is enduring. For your children this was a single traumatizing event. For the anonymous homeless guy, it's his constant everyday experience, and it's probably not going to end well, possibly it might end violently after a well-intended 911 call. This is what I mean when I say that he is the victim here.

I do not want to diminish how awful it must have been for your kids to see someone in absolute desperate poverty when they weren't prepared to understand it, but I cannot imagine their trauma outweighs the trauma of actually living like that.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Is there an actual ballot measure out? I thought we were just doing city council elections. I too have been laughing about the homeless situation being the only thing talked about by the candidates as the problem is so huge I believe it likely requires federal intervention. The percentage of the total US homeless population that is concentrated in CA is large enough that trying to make only our state deal with the solution is not feasible.

On the other hand, I understand why every Riverside resident is freaking out about this. Since moving here three years ago a homeless person has attempted to break into my youngest daughter's daycare in broad daylight while children were inside, two homeless people have succeeded in breaking into that same daycare and were only caught because they set off the alarms, and a homeless dude sleeping on my front lawn dropped trou and popped a deuce in front of my two older daughters. In every case the police were slow to respond and in the first two cases it was fast thinking staff that stopped them. I know I'm not the only person experiencing these issues, so I'm not surprised people are basically desperate for someone to suggest a solution. I had a cop literally tell me that if I had sprayed the lawn pooper with my hose I'd be charged with assault, and my only option was to call them and hope they arrived before he wandered off (which he did).

gently caress yourself with the hose

Edit: pictured - a suggestion of what to do with the hose https://twitter.com/HerreMeowcat/status/1089750454475673600?s=19

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hello I've been victimized because someone with no reliable access to food, shelter, showers or a bathroom pooped on my yard and the cops won't let me soak his clothing, forcing him to wear wet clothes or get charged with public nudity!!!!!!!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
If you think your kids are traumatized by a dude making GBS threads in their yard once, I got some bad news for you about the trauma level of kids living in the city rather than the suburbs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't think the person trying to prevent strangers from coming into his yard and making GBS threads in front of his children is in the wrong because some other people have it worse.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

we are coming to poo poo in your yard and there is nothing you can do to stop us

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Obviously they should have invited the homeless person in their home to use their restroom. It would save them the trouble of cleaning up the mess and inspired their neighbors to do the same.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I can't believe they won't let me hose down indigents on my own property.

This is a crazy world we live in.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

E: a crap

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Rainbow Knight posted:

I mean he very clearly said it was the cop who brought up the hose thing if it means anything

The entire point of that quote was expressing indignation that a homeowner could have received an assault charge for assaulting a homeless person.

Why else even include it.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Anonymous Zebra posted:

You're fine. The what-about takes itt are a little spicy

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Calm down folks. I think we can all agree that it's traumatic to bear witness to public defecation in a space you think of as yours and feel powerless to do anything about it. Just think about how many innocent posters are traumatized every time Dead Reckoning comes in and shits in the thread right in front of us and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. Haven't we all tried to call the mods and been told their hands are tied? Let's all have a little sympathy.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Have a bunch of neighbors chip in to rent a porta-potty?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I can't speak for anyone else but if I was homeless I don't think I would drop trou and poo poo in front of children of any gender real or imagined and I'd probably be disgusted by those who did such things.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I can't speak for anyone else but if I was homeless I don't think I would drop trou and poo poo in front of children of any gender real or imagined and I'd probably be disgusted by those who did such things.

Now imagine you have a severe mental illness. Or that you had a sudden urge to go and sure you could rush home but oops you don't have one so you step behind a hedge and drop your pants and woops it's ten seconds since you started making GBS threads and now there are a couple children behind you screaming and an angry man running out of his house.

I mean maybe the homeless dude was actually a pervert and he was leering at them the whole time he was making GBS threads but more likely he's just a person who needs some help. Regardless the problem here is our hosed up society that lets people be homeless in the wealthiest nation in the history of humankind.

Another problem is cops who show up to deal with the pooping man and instead of helping anyone begin to lament to the homeowner, unprompted, that you can't even assault the homeless anymore and what a travesty that is.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Are we really going to assume a homeowner would face actual charges for spritzing a homeless man that pooped on his lawn?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The cop’s cousin almost hosed Lisa Ann once and his uncle works for Nintendo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Now imagine a dude is like "something bad happened and my daughters need therapy" and goons didn't immediately post that he and his children deserve to be traumatized. That would be cool too.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Were I to become homeless, I would choose to live with dignity and grace.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why don't the homeless just buy more homes?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Now imagine you have a severe mental illness.

Thanks for the condescension but I don't have to imagine this.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was actually homeless in California, and if you lived near hollywood & vine, there's a non zero percent chance I shat on your side walk because I didn't have a quarter for the porta potty.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anonymous Zebra posted:

He was making GBS threads behind a bush you pos.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like at some point you have to accept that you're gonna see homeless people poo poo in your lawns if you live in LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If you were homeless the difficulty it would take to avoid doing such things would probably drive you to mental illness.