Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Any advice on getting a 2017 Ford Flex? Meets my criteria pretty well but I'm not sure about reliability or maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Dietrich posted:

Any advice on getting a 2017 Ford Flex? Meets my criteria pretty well but I'm not sure about reliability or maintenance.

Go for it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dietrich posted:

I've owned a 2009 and currently own a 2014 Ford Flex and haven't had any major issues. My most expensive repair was when our kid put change into the CD slot :/

That second row is a dream to sit in.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FCKGW posted:

My most expensive repair was when our kid put change into the CD slot :/

It would have taken me years to notice.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dietrich posted:

Uses a very common drive train platform, no real issues I'm aware of. Under the sheet metal it's basically a Ford Explorer or Ford Taurus. Same platform anyway. I'm not aware of any major issues with the 3.5L V6 or the 6 speed transmission in them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Uthor posted:

It would have taken me years to notice.

Not if it's clicking constantly, trying to eject a disc that isn't there! :suicide:

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Dietrich posted:

If you're in a city remember that it is longer than a full size executive sedan and within a few inches of the base F-150. The interior space is great but they are a bastard to park in town and it is easy to overlook on a short test drive.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

How's this one look?

https://www.carmax.com/car/17395632

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

This was a prior rental which means the thread will bitch and moan at you (look at the thread title). Your call though.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Something Offal posted:

This was a prior rental which means the thread will bitch and moan at you (look at the thread title). Your call though.

poo poo, didn't see rental at the bottom.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Something Offal posted:

I think we just point and laugh at this point

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

A lot of carmax vehicles have "fleet" as prior usage. Not sure what exactly that means.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Dietrich posted:

A lot of carmax vehicles have "fleet" as prior usage. Not sure what exactly that means.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/buying-a-car-what-does-fleet-use-mean-250047

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/should-i-buy-a-used-fleet-vehicle

Friend, please use Google a little more. We're here to help with everything else. As an aside, the Flex you showed is a 2017 vehicle. How many individual consumers will purchase a 2017 vehicle, then trade it in or sell it to a dealer within a couple years, realizing a large financial depreciation? Not very many, most will be fleets or lease returns, and that's why you see what you see. That being said if you are looking for a very high volume model (CR-V, Camry, etc.) you may find more individual consumer trade-ins just because of the volume.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 22, 2019

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
My father-in-law recently passed away. He had leased a 2017 Lexus E350 for 3 years (lease ends September 2020) and had paid for the entire lease as one lump sum at the start of the lease, so there are no more payments on the car. His wife, my mother-in-law, has come to live with us and the Lexus, while nice, is not practical for what we have - 3 adults and two kids who both need car seats (when both seats are in the back seat there is not really space for an adult to sit in the back, so we have to take two cars whenever we want to go somewhere).

Prior to his death my wife and I had discussed buying a bigger car (we currently have a 1998 Toyota Camry and a 2003 Mazda Protege), and had been thinking about a minivan (used, not new). The lease is currently in my father-in-laws name and we are working on getting the lease transferred into my wife's name. But from there, what steps should we take to transform the value we have in the lease into something we can use to buy a minivan? I don't really know what my options are and what the pros and cons of each option is, so hopefully this is the right place for that.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Think you can get money back from a lease, maybe if you return the car, check the contract I guess

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's very unlikely that you will get money back from the lease if you return the car but yes, you should check the contract.

You don't have any value in a lease, you're just financing depreciation - there's no asset that you own.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's very unlikely that you will get money back from the lease if you return the car but yes, you should check the contract.

You don't have any value in a lease, you're just financing depreciation - there's no asset that you own.

Probably not regularly, but from a death? There may be a clause for that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve had dealers take leases back early. I guess that isn’t the same.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If it is paid all up front, you can probably realize some money if the car has no deprecated too much. A dealer can buy the car for the current value, pay the bank the buy back value and give you the rest. I don't know if you can get any of the value paid by the grandfather back.
This is one of many reasons why you never pay a lease up front. If the car was totalled, for example, you be hosed.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Is there a thread for comparing insurance companies and their competence? I'm getting a new car and need better insurance than my cheapo Geico plan, and I prefer the Goon hive mind to just trusting Google to find me something useful.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

CannonFodder posted:

Is there a thread for comparing insurance companies and their competence? I'm getting a new car and need better insurance than my cheapo Geico plan, and I prefer the Goon hive mind to just trusting Google to find me something useful.

What do you mean? If you need better insurance than what you have, do you mean in terms of coverage amounts or other intangible benefits? If you mean coverage amounts why don't you use the change calculators on Geico's site? In terms of benefits, Geico is a premium insurer with 24-hour claims, roadside, rental car etc. so I'm not sure what else you'd want that isn't offered there.

When I compare premium insurers (that aren't some corner hole-in-the-wall insurer) they are all pretty interchangeable and I choose almost exclusively on a price quote for identical coverage amounts. You can easily do that at different big insurers (State Farm, Allstate) or get a Progressive quote thing.

What I like about Geico is they seem to eschew the 'agent' practice entirely which is cool because I can't find anything that explains why that concept isn't completely antiquated from pre-internet days. State Farm requires you to go through some Monday-Friday 9-5pm agent for a bunch of crap.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 23, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Something Offal posted:

What do you mean? If you need better insurance than what you have, do you mean in terms of coverage amounts or other intangible benefits? If you mean coverage amounts why don't you use the change calculators on Geico's site? In terms of benefits, Geico is a premium insurer with 24-hour claims, roadside, rental car etc. so I'm not sure what else you'd want that isn't offered there.

When I compare premium insurers (that aren't some corner hole-in-the-wall insurer) they are all pretty interchangeable and I choose almost exclusively on a price quote for identical coverage amounts. You can easily do that at different big insurers (State Farm, Allstate) or get a Progressive quote thing.

What I like about Geico is they seem to eschew the 'agent' practice entirely which is cool because I can't find anything that explains why that concept isn't completely antiquated from pre-internet days. State Farm requires you to go through some Monday-Friday 9-5pm agent for a bunch of crap.

I had Geico for better part of a 5 years, then switched to Progressive about a decade ago myself.

State Farm has burned me and I will never go back. They quoted me a policy, offered me the policy, charged me for the policy, then immediately "sorry, we cant honor this policy, it's actually $500 more /6mo, we've gone ahead and charged your card, have a great day!"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I was looking for a thread that had good and bad user experiences from a variety of insurers to get a feel for the companies, much like toplitzn's post. I looked back 4 pages and 6 months back in AI and didn't see anything.

If the main companies are interchangeable then that's the answer I need. I'll just shop on price. I have a good driving record and credit so I don't need the high cost high risk companies like someone with multiple collisions and tickets.

I also don't know if there's any special insurance to carry when buying a brand new car.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

I was looking for a thread that had good and bad user experiences from a variety of insurers to get a feel for the companies, much like toplitzn's post. I looked back 4 pages and 6 months back in AI and didn't see anything.

If the main companies are interchangeable then that's the answer I need. I'll just shop on price. I have a good driving record and credit so I don't need the high cost high risk companies like someone with multiple collisions and tickets.

I also don't know if there's any special insurance to carry when buying a brand new car.

People who have access to USAA insurance have nothing but high praise. Reports indicate that they are not the cheapest, but offer some of the best customer service.

I've been with Progressive so long I'm about to hit their Emerald tier.
Apparently the customer service goes up another level with that one, as you get to jump the phone queue.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

toplitzin posted:

I had Geico for better part of a 5 years, then switched to Progressive about a decade ago myself.

State Farm has burned me and I will never go back. They quoted me a policy, offered me the policy, charged me for the policy, then immediately "sorry, we cant honor this policy, it's actually $500 more /6mo, we've gone ahead and charged your card, have a great day!"

Progressive did this to me multiple times in the past. That or your rate jumps after your first 6 months a ridiculous amount. That being said, I did have a claim with them once and they handled it quickly and professionally.

I've been with GEICO the last 5 years or so, zero issues and rates stay stable. I get quoted once a year by the guy that handles my homeowners and he can't touch their rates for my area. The only people lower are USAA and I don't qualify. No claims in the last 5 years though.

toplitzin posted:

People who have access to USAA insurance have nothing but high praise. Reports indicate that they are not the cheapest, but offer some of the best customer service.

A lot of folks I know have USAA due to military service. Pretty low rates in my area, great customer service, but they will drop you if you have too many claims. A guys wife had a string of bad luck and had 2 at fault accidents in 18 months, and she was straight up told they were going to drop her if she had another claim anytime soon.

Edit: Many states have an insurance website where you can compare some sample rates. Texas does at least.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 23, 2019

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Go enlist for a year, get that sweet USAA.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Based on what I've heard from lawyers is that geico, aaa, and whatever the general's actual name is are not great toward their own clients.

Fireman's Fund was awesome but have moved away from personal lines in California. They were expensive though and focus on fairly premium cars. They really, really didn't want to insure my mazda2 (they quoted me, no poo poo $4k more per year than anyone else), so I had to drop them.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

TheReverend posted:

Go enlist for a year, get that sweet USAA.
GWM: USAA and Navy Federal Credit Union

BWM: buying a used convertible Mustang that costs more than a new one from the lot near base

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
my normal mechanic does not want to swap my steering column

I wonder if the snoody supercar mechanics close to me will do it... :thunk:

"hey so I know your normally work on GT3's and poo poo but I have this miata..."

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I use an agent for all insurance shopping and they get me best prices, hands down. None of this "premiums going up mid contact" bullshit either. There is a lot of value in such service when you're shopping house, cars, RV and business insurance all in one go. And no, hole in the wall local insurers usually beat the Geico/Allstate/progressive pricing, and do a fine job processing claims. Having dealt with all of the above, there is no functional difference. It's kind of like going to a local coffee shop instead of a Starbucks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrox posted:

I use an agent for all insurance shopping and they get me best prices, hands down. None of this "premiums going up mid contact" bullshit either. There is a lot of value in such service when you're shopping house, cars, RV and business insurance all in one go. And no, hole in the wall local insurers usually beat the Geico/Allstate/progressive pricing, and do a fine job processing claims. Having dealt with all of the above, there is no functional difference. It's kind of like going to a local coffee shop instead of a Starbucks.

Hole in the wall places as a whole absolutely do not do even a mediocre job at handling claims. There are small carriers who have good service, yes, but the world of small insurers is filled with shithouse companies that have an exclusion list longer than a CVS receipt, have expectations like “contact customer within 7 business days of first notice of loss” and poo poo like that.

Go buy insurance at a place like Freeway Insurance, file a claim, and you’ll see what you’re paying for.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Hole in the wall places as a whole absolutely do not do even a mediocre job at handling claims. There are small carriers who have good service, yes, but the world of small insurers is filled with shithouse companies that have an exclusion list longer than a CVS receipt, have expectations like “contact customer within 7 business days of first notice of loss” and poo poo like that.

Go buy insurance at a place like Freeway Insurance, file a claim, and you’ll see what you’re paying for.
not sure if you understood my post, I have used, and successfully filed claims with small insurance companies. Never ran into ridiculous contract clauses either. In fact, I'm in the middle of a claim right now, it's going well. But plenty of people report bad luck with nationwide companies just the same. My point was that you should be using an independent agent to shop insurance, not that small companies somehow better.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
As an aside, those hole in the wall places are often brokers, not agents. A broker is someone who doesn't work for a specific insurance company, but instead has a network of companies with whom they're able to set up policies, based on the customer's needs (lowest price, highest umbrella liability limit, willingness to insure a complete idiot, etc.).

One isn't necessarily better than the other (there are great and lovely examples of each), but it's good to know which type of professional you're working with

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah, I get my insurance through a broker (though they operate from an office building, not a strip mall), but my insurance is through a higher end Allstate subsidiary (which really just seems to mean I have access to higher limits).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrox posted:

not sure if you understood my post, I have used, and successfully filed claims with small insurance companies. Never ran into ridiculous contract clauses either. In fact, I'm in the middle of a claim right now, it's going well. But plenty of people report bad luck with nationwide companies just the same. My point was that you should be using an independent agent to shop insurance, not that small companies somehow better.

Go buy a policy with safeauto and have a limits claim

You would rather someone killed you

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I have a lovely Chubb... policy. My mom had her parked vehicle crashed into and her experienced seemed good. Of course given what you pay for Chubb it should be.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Duck and Cover posted:

I have a lovely Chubb... policy. My mom had her parked vehicle crashed into and her experienced seemed good. Of course given what you pay for Chubb it should be.

Definitely the funniest insurance company name out there. I couldn't believe it when I heard it at first.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Duck and Cover posted:

Chubb is basically "give us loads of money and you'll never have an insurance worry."

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shine posted:

Chubb is basically "give us loads of money and you'll never have an insurance worry."

Something to be said about their business model. They attract great clients who seldom have losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Something to be said about their business model. They attract great clients who seldom have losses.

The moron that owned my Aston before me had Chubb. The only reason I was okay buying it is I know they would pay to get it repaired correctly.