Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

honestly i just want to see the iconian arc brought into primary canon and i hope either disco or picard eventually get round to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes it’s post-destruction of Romulus

I really wonder if Beverly died on the Enterprise trying to rescue people or something. I feel like it can’t just be ‘oh no, too many people died’

That would be interesting, and I'd hope that they would get Gates to come in for flashback cameos or something.

I can't really judge much about it from that trailer, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Baronjutter posted:

I really want this but with Bortis instead of what's her name.

:yeah:

The important question is Mustache Bortus, or Smoking Bortus?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

:yeah:

The important question is Mustache Bortus, or Smoking Bortus?

¿Por que no los dos?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Has anyone done this, except it is Ezri, the Dax symbiont, and Jadzia?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

First of May posted:

Has anyone done this, except it is Ezri, the Dax symbiont, and Jadzia?

I think the meme will lose structural integrity if you replace the face of more than one of them.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Trast posted:

I know JJ Abrams doesn't have any clue how space works but the whole supernova in another system still bugs me a lot. But I also liked the Romulans as characters so the idea that most of them went up in a flash bums me out. You can't have someone like Tomalak being arrogant on the screen when there isn't a Romulan fleet anymore.

Also rest in peace Andreas Katsulas you were a fun actor in this often lovely genre.

In Star Trek Online they explained that they were using the system the supernova was in to test subspace weapons. So when the star went boom it went boom at warp speed. It's as good an explanation as any I guess.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

iraqniphobia posted:

Looks like a teaser for Picard has dropped.

It got deleted from sites like 5 minutes after posting, but I found a mirror.

https://streamable.com/ad5re

Fuuuuuuuck! The STD writing style (trying way too hard to sound deep) is infecting other shows.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

sweet geek swag posted:

In Star Trek Online they explained that they were using the system the supernova was in to test subspace weapons. So when the star went boom it went boom at warp speed. It's as good an explanation as any I guess.

As we all know from Intro to Subspace and Developed Intrastellar Studies in the Academy, all "individual" stars are actually upwellings of intensely energetic subspace reactions, akin to hot spot volcanoes punctuating spacetime fed by a bed of subspatial "magma". Any dramatic energetic effect to a single star has the potential to cause highly variable feedback, either through another star or dispersed throughout all stars extant in spacetime.

"Barclay, have you been taking drugs again?"

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Trast posted:

I know JJ Abrams doesn't have any clue how space works but the whole supernova in another system still bugs me a lot. But I also liked the Romulans as characters so the idea that most of them went up in a flash bums me out. You can't have someone like Tomalak being arrogant on the screen when there isn't a Romulan fleet anymore.

Also rest in peace Andreas Katsulas you were a fun actor in this often lovely genre.
Couldn't a big gamma-ray burst in a nearby (like 5 ly away) system have a pretty catastrophic effect? Not blowing the planet into dust or anything, but enough to kill it?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Infinite Karma posted:

Couldn't a big gamma-ray burst in a nearby (like 5 ly away) system have a pretty catastrophic effect? Not blowing the planet into dust or anything, but enough to kill it?

Possibly, but the movie made it look like the nova engulfed the planet

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/5317ed02-0551-4676-97dd-0a8a1da16478

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

sweet geek swag posted:

Sto also made the Romulans a faction with a Republic versus the old corrupt remnants of the Empire

Which I wouldn’t mind seeing a show on, honestly.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

it doesnt obey the laws of normal supernovas because the last surviving iconian blew it up in revenge for empress sela going back in time, murdering one of them and accidentally causing the downfall of their entire stargate thieving civilisation

this is why i want picard to cover the fall of romulus because if they do it right it is such a cool angle and gives denise crosby an excuse to come back and mess with him

in sto the rescue efforts managed to save a huge chunk of the population of romulus, and the surrounding planets, but not so much of the history, archives or the system itself. when you start the game as a romulan you are playing as a member of the diaspora on an overloaded colony fighting for resources

i remember reading somewhere that sto has been confirmed to be 90% approved canon, so it would be cool if they followed roughly that plot instead of doing what they are going to do, which is make up something dumb and worse

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Make the STO Brony mission canon

Experience Bij

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

An obvious reason Picard would resign- Section 31 did romulan supernova

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

An obvious reason Picard would resign- Section 31 did romulan supernova

Hey! *Squirts you with spray bottle*. No! Bad!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't write it, I'm just taking your what they probably wrote!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Q: Why didn't romulus evacuate sooner to their other colonies

A: It's the Romulan STAR Empire, not the loving Romulan Planet Empire... IDIOT

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trek just going along with JJ's terrible "Entire Romulan Empire... uh exploded, that's why my space miners are so mad!" thing as cannon and not just some dumb side-universe bullshit is really depressing. I was hoping they would have just ignored the movies and let them do their own thing.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Can't wait for us to find out that Picard goes back in time to create Section 31 with the following pitch:

- SECTION THIRTY-ONE
- one, one, one.

- Section Thirty-One.

- The first word in black operations.
- First word.

- Espionage.
- Psych eval portfolios.

- Deterrence.
- Computers.

- Black leather gloves.
- Research and development.

Putting in the man-hours to study
the science of what you need.

Last week we put baryon particles
on a Founder...

...and it died.

- Security.
- Security.

- And...
- And.

- Possibly you.
- Possibly you.

- (Sloan) Oh, this is classic. This is...
- (Picard) We'd like to present...

...the world premiere of Section
Thirty-One's first field operation...

...against Romulus: Subspace Supernova!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Baronjutter posted:

Trek just going along with JJ's terrible "Entire Romulan Empire... uh exploded, that's why my space miners are so mad!" thing as cannon and not just some dumb side-universe bullshit is really depressing. I was hoping they would have just ignored the movies and let them do their own thing.
It’s just Romulus/Remus as far as we know

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"Magneto finally convinced me"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Baronjutter posted:

Agreed. That part of the franchise died out like a wet fart. They need to be forgotten and stop making GBS threads up the rest of Star Trek.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

So is Picard going to be CBS Netflix only?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DemoneeHo posted:

So is Picard going to be CBS Netflix only?

Star Trek is the only reason anyone subscribes to CBS On-line, so probably.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

They're going to bring Damar back from the dead for this. Or at least re-hire Casey Biggs to play as Picard's chief rival in wine making. He knows a thing or two about wine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfTaMzV4oFo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh, exCUSE me, Admiral! Now of course I know you are retired but among my people we always go by our highest rank title achieved in life, and far be it for me to buck tradition! I could not help but notice your gaze at the ill fitting uniforms of these many cadets! Now if you still have some pull and find yourself in agreement that Starfleet is in the most dire need of a professional tailor, please DO contact me!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Destroying Romulus is a piece of poo poo plot point

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Let's just have the Federation overdog the poo poo out of everything ever durr

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Blistex posted:

Agreed. That part of the franchise died out like a wet fart. They need to be forgotten and stop making GBS threads up the rest of Star Trek.

This is what I'm saying. Why are they so continuity nuts, and moreso when the poo poo sucks? You've spent multiple episodes with incredibly divergent timelines which blip out of existence entirely, and all that ever happens is the end credits and stuff starts back up normal next time. Why aren't we free to reset anymore? That was one of the best things about TOS honestly, the Enterprise could have literally never have encountered anything it has before, this isn't about the other things, this is new, just watch the story.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

This is what I'm saying. Why are they so continuity nuts, and moreso when the poo poo sucks? You've spent multiple episodes with incredibly divergent timelines which blip out of existence entirely, and all that ever happens is the end credits and stuff starts back up normal next time. Why aren't we free to reset anymore? That was one of the best things about TOS honestly, the Enterprise could have literally never have encountered anything it has before, this isn't about the other things, this is new, just watch the story.

Disco is even waffle-y about where it sits with respect to timelines, right?

I'd posit that the biggest problem with the franchise is that people think Star Trek is all about time travel because those episodes and movies stand out the most (The City on the Edge of Forever, A Voyage Home, All Good Things, First Contact, etc.). This means new series feel like they have to incorporate some form of time travel, like Voyager's finale, Enterprise and the Temporal Cold War story arc, and JJTrek relying on time travel and divergent timelines (hell, the fourth movie was supposed to involve Kirk's dad so they could shoehorn Chris Hemsworth back into the franchise). It ends up making this terrible feedback loop of Star Trek including more and more time travel bullshit instead of exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new civilizations.

I just want a show where Starfleet officers explore ancient alien ruins, encounter giant space monsters, meet new forms of life, and reflect on Humanity.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Dear Star Treks: please never loving time travel again.

tia

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like it can’t just be ‘oh no, too many people died’

The Federation welcomed the Romulan refugees with open arms but they all formed a gang, let's call it RS-13, and destroyed the Federation from within.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The loving temporal cold war is the biggest indicator of the time travel disease

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It was especially painful because it looked like a series that promised to explore the creation of the Federation, not introduce a completely unheard of alien species that is engaged in some timeline war in the 30th Century.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Bogus Adventure posted:

I just want a show where Starfleet officers explore ancient alien ruins, encounter giant space monsters, meet new forms of life, and reflect on Humanity.

:same:

Brawnfire posted:

The loving temporal cold war is the biggest indicator of the time travel disease

*sigh* I know what the answer is going to be, but I'll ask anyway... did Enterprise ever adequately explain what the Temporal Cold War was about? I only watched the first season or so, but it felt extremely like a case of throwing together a bunch of cool-sounding words and worrying about the details later. How big of a wet fart did it turn out to be?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

it doesnt obey the laws of normal supernovas because the last surviving iconian blew it up in revenge for empress sela going back in time, murdering one of them and accidentally causing the downfall of their entire stargate thieving civilisation

this is why i want picard to cover the fall of romulus because if they do it right it is such a cool angle and gives denise crosby an excuse to come back and mess with him

in sto the rescue efforts managed to save a huge chunk of the population of romulus, and the surrounding planets, but not so much of the history, archives or the system itself. when you start the game as a romulan you are playing as a member of the diaspora on an overloaded colony fighting for resources

i remember reading somewhere that sto has been confirmed to be 90% approved canon, so it would be cool if they followed roughly that plot instead of doing what they are going to do, which is make up something dumb and worse

I bet this show is gonna retcon almost everything in STO's back story.

Powered Descent posted:

The Federation welcomed the Romulan refugees with open arms but they all formed a gang, let's call it RS-13, and destroyed the Federation from within.

Now you're thinking like a Kurtzman!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FuturePastNow posted:

I bet this show is gonna retcon almost everything in STO's back story.

Now you're thinking like a Kurtzman an Orci!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Voting Floater posted:

*sigh* I know what the answer is going to be, but I'll ask anyway... did Enterprise ever adequately explain what the Temporal Cold War was about?

Yes it was all in Captain Archer's much anticipated speech during the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Chomp8645 posted:

I think the meme will lose structural integrity if you replace the face of more than one of them.

Divert power from the antivirus engine into the photoshop filters