Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sion’s voice actor is great, he’s so freakin’ edgy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Asimov posted:

Episode IX
Darth Maul returns, but this time he's double-trouble; one half has bionic legs, the other has a bionic top half (but kind of crudely done to suggest raw power and aggression, wires sparking and sticking out all over the place). They shrug off rough spun wool cloaks and turn to face each other as they activate their lightsabers in tandem. One. Two. Three, Four lightsaber blades extend from their hilts... [epic pause] and then and fifth and six blade emerge to reveal the fabled tri-saber technique thought to have been lost forever!

:911:

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

skasion posted:

Nihilus doesn’t have a body or much of a mind anymore by the time you meet him ingame, he’s just an empty suit of armor that wants to eat everyone pretty much. Basically the goth version of No Face from Spirited Away

See this is awesome as hell

Edit: also yeah his mask was loving rad

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hey what the gently caress were the Knights of Ren? I was expecting a showdown of a bunch of minibosses but don't recall them being brought up ever again

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Glenn Quebec posted:

Hey what the gently caress were the Knights of Ren? I was expecting a showdown of a bunch of minibosses but don't recall them being brought up ever again

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
in Chinese ren (忍) means 'to bear' or 'to endure'

so the moviegoing public is the real knights of ren

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Glenn Quebec posted:

I was expecting

Subverted again... biatch!!!!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

harsh words happening in the SW thread fwiw basically an inclusive safe space opera where everyone can just hang out, have a good time, and byob (bring your own boba)

unless you like the prequels.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

Apparently Kylo is going to kill them all in the new movie in some fight scene which raises the question why do we need a repeat of a fight that happened in the previous film and who still gives a poo poo about that plot thread.

Seriously quadrilogy here we come

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Barudak posted:

Apparently Kylo is going to kill them all in the new movie in some fight scene which raises the question why do we need a repeat of a fight that happened in the previous film and who still gives a poo poo about that plot thread.

Seriously quadrilogy here we come

I love it when characters we don't care about and characters we know nothing about fight. . . it makes the stakes so high and gets me really invested in the story.

Was just thinking about ROTJ, and how we see Luke at his peak power/ability during the OT, and how he still struggles when up against regular stormtroopers (Endor) and thugs (Jabba's men). If that movie was made today, Luke would have easily killed 50 single-handedly and he would be doing crazy (impossible) stunts on the speeder bike like a 90's kids cartoon trying to play up the skateboard angle.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 23, 2019

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Movies today are like kids playing with action figures who think that the one toy being able to effortlessly take out a hundred guys makes you cooler than the other toy ehich can only effortlessly take out thirty

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Say what you will about the prequels, but the Jedi could still get punked by robot jobbers or talented gunslingers. Jango shoots one down during the Battle of Geonosis.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I just assumed that (other than no one ever thought about it or cared, which is the real answer) Obi Wan needs Han because the Falcon is, after all, his, so he may as well pilot it.
What's he gonna do, announce "WELL ACTUALLY..." and describe how he has the legal right to commandeer the vessel and then attempt to blockade run the empire as known Jedi, now with stolen ship, blasting a jedi-mariachi horn to all comers that he in in fact Obi Wan Kenobi and that he desperately needs to speak to your manager right now?

It's not like he would have been intimately familiar with flying it, anyway, I guess. Or does he in the prequels and I just forgot that crap? I'm sure he probably does and flies it like one of those drone racing championship things on ESPN through an entire fleet of exploding star destroyers or some poo poo. Who knows.

KOTOR would have sucked as a movie because you liked it because you were the protagonist and got to sorta make your own story and develop your own character. Regardless of the plot, it allowed you to take on that role and make some of it your own, and that adds so much. You take that out and it's a half-baked story, and most people wouldn't know what the gently caress was going on, and be asking why R2D2 wasn't making out with Yoda all the time or whatever. It would have to be massively re-written to help people along, and you'd get all the pap that comes with that, giving you another generic star wars thing that'd be no different. Not that some of the characters or ideas wouldn't be neat to see, don't get me wrong, I just don't see how it's any better than anything else they've done recently, really.

The whole Knights of Ren thing I was ok with them dropping. I had assumed, probably wrongly, that the Knights were Kylo's followers, like his own circle of higher-up bad guys.
If so, he just doesn't come across as the kind of guy that would HAVE that. He'd have some lovely two-bit assholes, or, the red imperial guardsmen as his 'knights'. Nameless, faceless, good fighter dudes very loyal to him but unremarkable other than being "Oh yeah, they're his personal bodyguards but they have fancy robes because it boosts his ego to think they're special". He's too whiny to get actual dark Jedi adherents imo.
If I'm wrong, and the Knights of Ren are supposed to be his equals, and all trained under Snoke or whomever, and he was named "Kylo Ren" because he ALSO is a 'Knight of Ren", then that'd make more sense, and he just got promoted over them to be the #2 guy or something and now wants to hunt and kill them. I'd buy that, I guess, and maybe that's what it is and I just missed that entirely, whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a lot of plot to get through that has no real bearing on anything because this trilogy has been two films back to back where we dont get much of a story or really even understand the galactic situation or what the gently caress First Order is even supposed to mean

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
John wick but with star wars blasters and light saber daggers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jedi Dredd

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

Jedi Dredd

Not gonna lie, would watch the gently caress out of this:

"There is no emotion, there is the law. And I. Am. THE LAW!!!"

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Bogus Adventure posted:

Not gonna lie, would watch the gently caress out of this:

"There is no emotion, there is the law. And I. Am. THE LUR!!!"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:golfclap:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Barudak posted:

Jedi Dredd

I want to see what the gently caress red spice actually does. I want to see some 4-dickeyed alien drooling his rear end off while being stoned out of his mind before getting served Imperial justice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"You cant kill me, youre a Jedi! You gotta follow the rules! I put the blaster down and surrender, you gotta take me in!"

"Only sith deal in absolutes"

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

skasion posted:

KOTOR 2 just wouldn’t work in a movie at all because it’s a meta story about RPGs and how they’re weird.

-meta.
-confusing plot structure.
-disses on the jedi.
-needed more time in the oven.
-ton of cut content.
-ending so unsatisfying people had to remake it from scrapped material.
-is doomed to be retconned to hell and back.

We already had KOTOR II the movie. It's called The Last Jedi.

I predict that Rise of the Skywalker will be like The Old Republic Online. Meaning they will play it safe and milk all the cliches for even more merchandising than the last two combined. To this end the second entry of the series will be acknowledges but rendered utterly toothless.

Dean of Swing fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 23, 2019

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Barudak posted:

Its a lot of plot to get through that has no real bearing on anything because this trilogy has been two films back to back where we dont get much of a story or really even understand the galactic situation or what the gently caress First Order is even supposed to mean

I'm going to guess the main plot for the last one will revolve around a giant superweapon of some sort and maybe Palpatine in the most unsatisfying way possible.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Blistex posted:

I love it when characters we don't care about and characters we know nothing about fight. . . it makes the stakes so high and gets me really invested in the story.

Was just thinking about ROTJ, and how we see Luke at his peak power/ability during the OT, and how he still struggles when up against regular stormtroopers (Endor) and thugs (Jabba's men). If that movie was made today, Luke would have easily killed 50 single-handedly and he would be doing crazy (impossible) stunts on the speeder bike like a 90's kids cartoon trying to play up the skateboard angle.

Real. Space. Opera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM7-bg-KhQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wii3FK3m8cs

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 23, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Blistex posted:

this is what the ROTJ Special Edition would have been if Lucas had the technology to make it happen without spending a gazillion dollars

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

this is what the ROTJ Special Edition would have been if Lucas had the technology to make it happen without spending a gazillion dollars

I don't know enough, well anything, really, about what Lucas originally thought about this but, it was my impression from the OT that:

While Jedi and Dark Jedi/Sith were very powerful, most of that power came from being recognized as that, first. As in, "Oh this guy is part of an elite team of well trained military monk guys with a long tradition. Respect that." and while they could use the force for supernatural poo poo like enhanced combat stuff like jumping farther, running faster, throwing sabers and bulkheads around, and force choking dudes, that was mainly a secondary "holy poo poo" ability they had.
Like the force granted them that, as well as charisma and insight and stuff, making them extremely good and better than even the best 'normal' fighters or military tacticians around. Even during Vader and Luke's time, which again, I'd always assumed was much further from the height of actual Jedi and Sith power, like, they were the very tail end of that tradition with a lot lost between that time and their own age.
But, that the excessive stuff that they did, such as force projection, raising the dead, and doing basically most of the really 'god tier' poo poo that is expected of them or shown in the EU and games and other stuff was just tacked on by other people later as a way to keep raising the ante of 'no really if a jedi just thinks about it a little he can levitate a skyscraper from across the galaxy and turn it into a giant deflector beam that reflects force lasers out of it" or whatever the hell.

All that being why Luke struggles, even when he's supposedly stronger, against storm troopers and stuff, because he's still just supposed to be a guy at the end of the day. Albeit a guy who's really into some heavy Zen poo poo that makes him good at track and field events and in touch with his emotional side.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Jedi as samurai instead of super saiyans.

I would guess that comes from lucas being inspired by classic movies, not necessarily all scifi/fantasy, while EU writers are writing genre poo poo with reference only to other genre poo poo. tie-in games will usually have the jedi/sith as functional magic superheroes just cause it fits the format.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The big influence on Star Wars’ magic powers is Dune imo, which also doesn’t really deal in super saiyan stuff. There it’s just basically prescience, limited mind control, haha i am smart like computer, and being really good at martial arts. No telekinesis even.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
If the OT were made today we'd get a bunch a horrible overwrought poo poo like Obi-Wan force-chucking boulders at the sand people. Hell, look at that fan video that just came out. Jesus

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It's gonna be Endgame with Star Wars (tm) character heads just copypasted over the faces.

It'll make mad bank.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

If the OT were made today we'd get a bunch a horrible overwrought poo poo like Obi-Wan force-chucking boulders at the sand people. Hell, look at that fan video that just came out. Jesus

That fan made video was ott for sure but the original New Hope fight was really bad lets be honest

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The one thing I liked in that video was adding that Vader's saber burned through Obi-Wan's robe when he struck him down. The rest seemed kind of contrived.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'd like to say that the mantra of Jedi as samurai not super Saiyan rings really true to me.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Just Chamber posted:

That fan made video was ott for sure but the original New Hope fight was really bad lets be honest

You try doing a bunch of lovely blackflips and fancy sword-work when it takes every ounce of concentration to keep your opponent from force-choking your prostate.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Blistex posted:

You try doing a bunch of lovely blackflips and fancy sword-work when it takes every ounce of concentration to keep your opponent from force-choking your prostate.

Vader to a very demanding Palpatine holo-projection: "...yes, my Master."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It'd be cool to see how it could be done with modern technology but at the same time I still prefer the slower "one small mistake and you're dead" style of dueling that is in those old samurai movies versus backflips and poo poo.

Seeing Yoda fight like that was just...

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Went and watched that video just now and lmao at all the comments about "ahh this is how Star Wars ought to be, get hosed JJ/Rian" and it's the exact same weightless flippy-dippy poo poo, plus the guy playing Vader looks like a kid in a Halloween costume in half the shots because he's too short. Disney's Star Wars are bad but none of these dweebs could actually tell you why

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Big Beef City posted:

Vader to a very demanding Palpatine holo-projection: "...yes, my Master."

Palpatine isn't even his real name. It's his Sith name given to him by Darth Plagueis because (as an apprentice) Plagueis noticed Sheev was very skilled at force-palpating during sparring matches.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
My Late Husband was a big SW fan, so I had a tattoo done in his memorial, wanted to share!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm... sorry for your loss