Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It isn’t weird that tokyo and kyoto have roughly the same ecology.

Mewtwo didn’t know how to focus his power. The fella was a bull in a china closet. The armor was a crutch to teach him subtlety.

Diggersby is cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm giving Ultra Moon a playthrough. I just caught an Inkay, which I really like.

I looked it up on Bulbapedia and saw that it evolves, starting at level 30, when it levels up when the 3ds is held upside down?It's a little confusing. Does that mean the 3DS needs to be upside down at the precise moment when the ding happens after an enemy Pokemon faints?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I couldn’t tell you, I always play upside down.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I'm giving Ultra Moon a playthrough. I just caught an Inkay, which I really like.

I looked it up on Bulbapedia and saw that it evolves, starting at level 30, when it levels up when the 3ds is held upside down?It's a little confusing. Does that mean the 3DS needs to be upside down at the precise moment when the ding happens after an enemy Pokemon faints?

At the end of the battle, in my experience, though you could flip it over before confirming the ding notification to be sure

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
And Ash finally beats that Battle Frontier, thanks to Pikachu...defeating a full-health Regice with a single Volt Tackle. Sure. The rest of the Brandon fight was really good, though.

Two more episodes left before Diamond and Pearl. Apparently DP is widely considered the peak of the anime, although I'm a bit skeptical as it's 191 episodes; can the anime writers really fill that many episodes for one region without resorting to Johto levels of formulaic character-of-the-day material?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Silver2195 posted:

Apparently DP is widely considered the peak of the anime

No, SM is.

DP does have the best protag tho (Dawn).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Aristide posted:

Too bad, it was a nifty design. I wonder why they decided to remove the idea completely instead of giving the slot to a runner-up though?

the winner ruined it for everyone

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Silver2195 posted:

And Ash finally beats that Battle Frontier, thanks to Pikachu...defeating a full-health Regice with a single Volt Tackle. Sure. The rest of the Brandon fight was really good, though.

Two more episodes left before Diamond and Pearl. Apparently DP is widely considered the peak of the anime, although I'm a bit skeptical as it's 191 episodes; can the anime writers really fill that many episodes for one region without resorting to Johto levels of formulaic character-of-the-day material?

Its been forever, and I only saw episodes where Paul stomps on Ash, but basically it just sorta balances all the things Pokemon keeps repeating in a better way than pasts series. Dawn is a pretty good character with enough time and good chemistry with everyone. It keeps continuity fairly high so nerds love it.

That said, iirc there is basically One Year IRL between Gyms 7 and 8. But Gary shows up during it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Yes. And no. The anime is long, but I feel the characters, Pokemon and overarching continuity make it better than it could be. Add in some HGSS tie ins and it works well enough. But Sinnoh's Battle Frontier, and indeed the entire island it's on, don't feature at all, which I feel is a bit weird. Like they pissed around in a garbage Kanto for Hoenn's, guess they didn't feel like repeating themselves too soon or whatever.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

I won't lie. There is a *LOT* of Filler to sift through, and Brock is in full Flanderization, to use the TVtropes term. However, DP contains some of the best plotlines, and Ash is at by far his most inventive and creative, and overall just generally SMARTEST in terms of battling in a long time before and after the region. The Rival successfully makes you hate him with a passion, because like a good Rival, he's COMPETENT, despite being a complete and utter rear end in a top hat. Plus there's no annoying tagalong kid this time.

The way Ash loses at the league is utterly infuriating, but that and the filler don't ruin the region for me. DP is definitely the peak of the series for me, at least if we're only considering completed regions.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

Plus there's no annoying tagalong kid this time.

I actually liked Max. I'm probably more interested in the further adventures of Max and Ralts than the further adventures of Ash and Pikachu, honestly.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Max isn't even that much of a character, let alone annoying. And Bonnie is just wonderful.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

less laughter posted:

Max isn't even that much of a character, let alone annoying. And Bonnie is just wonderful.

I only know of Bonnie through Bulbapedia so far, but her running gag of proposing marriage to pretty girls on her brother's behalf sounds ... weird.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BlazetheInferno posted:

The way Ash loses at the league is utterly infuriating, but that and the filler don't ruin the region for me.

I was watching that episode live via a stream when it first aired, and let me tell you. I have never seen as many angry nerds in one place as I did when Darkrai got defeated only for a goddamn Latios to appear and stomp the rest of Ash's party.

I'm pretty sure that's still the biggest bullshit moment in the entire anime.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I only know of Bonnie through Bulbapedia so far, but her running gag of proposing marriage to pretty girls on her brother's behalf sounds ... weird.

Then there was the one episode where a cute nerd wanted to join the group and date Clemont, so she tried to do the opposite from the usual, leading to...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8jgEm3fIQk

XY is so almost what I wanted. There's strange poo poo like this or Serena putting on Ash's clothes and gaslighting some poor Pikachu Trainer. But it all ends with a battle when it doesn't really need to, and hype battles lose their luster when it has to be the same overall rhythm versus Team Rocket because almost all episodes end with Team Rocket doing a bad. If it was more about Bonnie kinkshaming hte rest of the cast, it'd be cooler. Nonetheless, I rank it above everything before it. DP may be the best the regular formula ever got, and the most consistently "strong" Ash ever got, while bringing up old continuity to reinforce it, but the big shakeup and wackyness XY brought, and SM perfected, are things I massively appreciate.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

BlazetheInferno posted:

I won't lie. There is a *LOT* of Filler to sift through, and Brock is in full Flanderization, to use the TVtropes term. However, DP contains some of the best plotlines, and Ash is at by far his most inventive and creative, and overall just generally SMARTEST in terms of battling in a long time before and after the region. The Rival successfully makes you hate him with a passion, because like a good Rival, he's COMPETENT, despite being a complete and utter rear end in a top hat. Plus there's no annoying tagalong kid this time.

The way Ash loses at the league is utterly infuriating, but that and the filler don't ruin the region for me. DP is definitely the peak of the series for me, at least if we're only considering completed regions.

Isn’t the way he lost to an kid even dumber than him who didn’t even have a complete team in the next series almost as bad? Of course, BW as a whole is bad even by the low standards of this anime.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Vandar posted:

I was watching that episode live via a stream when it first aired, and let me tell you. I have never seen as many angry nerds in one place as I did when Darkrai got defeated only for a goddamn Latios to appear and stomp the rest of Ash's party.

I went on a big rant about just how bullshit the whole character is, years ago. I could copy-paste it if you want.

Geostomp posted:

Isn’t the way he lost to an kid even dumber than him who didn’t even have a complete team in the next series almost as bad? Of course, BW as a whole is bad even by the low standards of this anime.

Difference is, that stupid loss came at the end of a stupid season, where Ash is at his weakest in terms of competence since Kanto. And the character he lost to is basically a compilation of all his worst traits in the first season amped up to 11 - complete with his ungodly luck.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

I went on a big rant about just how bullshit the whole character is, years ago. I could copy-paste it if you want.

Please do. I've seen the clips and heard the rage secondhand, but I always love hearing people who were into the anime at that time having to deal with that cheating poo poo.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vandar posted:

See I can't call it that because I feel like that moment encapsulates the entire anime in nutshell. Draws you in with the hope that something exciting is going happen only for the most bullshit nonsensical enforcement of the status quo to be reestablished in the clumsiest way possible at the last possible moment. I won't lie man I got drawn into the X&Y finale hype. Foolishly thinking "Oh wow Ash might win this one. Hell maybe he and Serena hook up and this *gasp* goes somewhere new!" It was after this particular finale that any flickering sparse hope I had died a peasants death. Expect nothing from the anime, it'll go out of it's way to trick you into thinking it's going to do something but this is always inevitably a lie. I probably sound more passionate about this than I am but honestly i just look back on it with a sort of tired resignation and sympathy for others who think it's going to get it's act together eventually.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Okay then, here you go. My "I hate Tobias" rant from a whole 8 years ago. Maybe don't read if you somehow haven't seen the Sinnoh anime seasons and don't wanna spoil details of how he gets knocked out of the end tournament this time around.

Blaze from 2011 posted:

When I was growing up, I stopped watching Pokemon mid-way through Johto. Well, earlier this year, I went back and watched the series up to the first few episodes of Black & White, and today's gripe comes just a smidgeon earlier than that.

The Sinnoh League competition. I have one name for you, folks: TOBIAS. Anyone who has actually seen those episodes will hopefully remember that name. And if you don't, Darkrai. You remember now. I hate Tobias with a passion, for a very simple reason. In effect, he is a giant walking middle finger to a fair number of viewers. Those of course being the people who would like to see Ash actually win a competition for once - or at least make it to the last round. Every other League competition, there has been someone who knocked him out before the finals. He made it farther and farther, even making it to the semi-finals in the Sinnoh League.

But then came along Tobias. He had some setup thanks to the Super Nerd whose name I forget, but it all essentially boiled down to "There's a guy in this tournament who's completely invincible". Tobias was given no character, no personality, no history, no explanation, and at least two Legendaries. We never saw the remaining four. If we had, given what we had seen of the character thus far, I was half expecting to see freakin' Mewtwo pop out of one of those balls. It would make about as much sense as any other aspect of the character.

We're never told who this guy is, where he's from, what he's like, or how he acquired his legendary team. All we ever got was some "this guy is good" setup, and then Ash was out of the tournament. Again. But this time the writers didn't even give him the dignity of a semi-even fight. They just threw him into a roflstomp against a throwaway battling god that they never bothered to explain, and frankly, as much as I want some answers about this guy, we're probably never going to see or even hear about him again except maybe in flashbacks where they won't even acknowledge any of this, they'll just remember that one guy who beat Ash. Because that's all there was to him.

As far as I'm concerned, Ash deserved to win the Sinnoh tournament. Tobias should never have existed, because the only reason he DID was as a walking "Keep Ash out of the Finals" wall, and we've had those characters before... but they provided somewhat even fights, and were characterized beforehand. Furthermore, Ash was the only trainer in the entire REGION to knock out even ONE of Tobias' Pokemon - the Darkrai that singlehandedly swept every other trainer in the region. And once he went down, Tobias threw a Latios at Ash, and even then, Ash managed to take it out with his final move, though because Ash also lost with that last exchange, Tobias was never forced to reveal a third Pokemon.

We all know why Tobias really existed. Ash isn't allowed to win a real League (the Orange Islands don't friggin' count, there was no tournament), because the creators want to keep the series going forever and for Ash to win a tournament would mean that he was running out of growth potential, I guess. I don't friggin' care. He leaves his team behind every new region anyway. Everyone who watches the show knows the kid is experienced and knows how to raise Pokemon (despite his apparent IQ reset that seems to have started coming with leaving the team behind). Let him win a drat tournament for once, or at the very least make it to the drat finals. Tobias was just insulting, to Ash and to us.

For the record, I am entirely okay with Ash's loss at the end of X/Y. He made it to the finals, and the guy he lost to had received tons of buildup and characterization, having been at the center of the Mega Evolution shorts.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Geostomp posted:

We don't talk about BW. :argh:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Please do. I've seen the clips and heard the rage secondhand, but I always love hearing people who were into the anime at that time having to deal with that cheating poo poo.

It wasn't cheating. It was just bullshit. :colbert:

Flopsy posted:

See I can't call it that because I feel like that moment encapsulates the entire anime in nutshell. Draws you in with the hope that something exciting is going happen only for the most bullshit nonsensical enforcement of the status quo to be reestablished in the clumsiest way possible at the last possible moment.

I mean, I'll be frank, we knew Ash was losing that fight from minute one. There were only two episodes left in DP and the next episode was Pokemon Doctor Brock. We knew going into it that he wasn't going to win, it's just that the way he lost was the absolute worst it's ever been.

(XY's league loss was really bad though and that's the one that Ash really should have won.)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I wish the Battle Tree had an Ubers challenge

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

Okay then, here you go. My "I hate Tobias" rant from a whole 8 years ago. Maybe don't read if you somehow haven't seen the Sinnoh anime seasons and don't wanna spoil details of how he gets knocked out of the end tournament this time around.

For the record, I am entirely okay with Ash's loss at the end of X/Y. He made it to the finals, and the guy he lost to had received tons of buildup and characterization, having been at the center of the Mega Evolution shorts.

Delicious. :allears:

I've mellowed out on Ash winning the league probably when this happened (Can't say I wasn't suddenly interested in XY when it was looking possible for him to win). Ash is Doraemon, Detective Conan, Batman, etc., he is eternal and he will always adventure. Which means that him winning won't change his eternal story... but most importantly, if you put all his tournament episodes together, you probably get maybe a three cours of episodes worth, almost a year if you're generous in his 20 years of story.

The issue with Pokemon wasn't simply Ash's records at tournaments, that's 1/20th of the show if you're generous, it's his day to day life. Sun and Moon fully fix the anime from the monotony it locked itself into 17 years ago by making it a sweet slice of life about cute pokemon, learning lessons and having stories that don't devolve into fighting team rocket every single week.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ash losing the leagues is what made me stop watching the anime as a kid, but in retrospect maybe that's their plan. show the viewers that ash is a loser so they should aspire to grow up and be better than him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what's a good doubles team for the Battle Tree? or any guides on creating one? using my roster for singles hasn't produced great results

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Flopsy posted:

See I can't call it that because I feel like that moment encapsulates the entire anime in nutshell. Draws you in with the hope that something exciting is going happen only for the most bullshit nonsensical enforcement of the status quo to be reestablished in the clumsiest way possible at the last possible moment. I won't lie man I got drawn into the X&Y finale hype. Foolishly thinking "Oh wow Ash might win this one. Hell maybe he and Serena hook up and this *gasp* goes somewhere new!" It was after this particular finale that any flickering sparse hope I had died a peasants death. Expect nothing from the anime, it'll go out of it's way to trick you into thinking it's going to do something but this is always inevitably a lie. I probably sound more passionate about this than I am but honestly i just look back on it with a sort of tired resignation and sympathy for others who think it's going to get it's act together eventually.

Yeah. I can't say I'm super invested in the anime, but between Serena being the most directly tied sidekick to Ash in a while and Greninja literally cosplaying as him in lieu of a Mega form, it seemed like Kalos was the region most directly tied to Ash. I can't blame people for figuring it'd be over after that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I almost got whiplash from how quickly Burnett and Kukui got married after meeting for the first time

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

indigi posted:

I almost got whiplash from how quickly Burnett and Kukui got married after meeting for the first time

they S-ranked between episodes

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't realize those Uniqlo t-shirts would have ended up in Sword and Shield. There are some good designs, but they'd fit Sun/Moon's region more than Sword/Shield's. They should replace them with Monty Python looking Pokemon designs.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Bee posted:

Yeah. I can't say I'm super invested in the anime, but between Serena being the most directly tied sidekick to Ash in a while and Greninja literally cosplaying as him in lieu of a Mega form, it seemed like Kalos was the region most directly tied to Ash. I can't blame people for figuring it'd be over after that.

I saw a lot of people genuinely hurt by the fact they just completely discard all the build up X&Y had towards Ash's character arc. I was cautiously optimistic but there's younger folk who were actually really happy and excited about where this was going to go. When it inevitably went into the toilet I felt annoyed with myself for falling for it but not betrayed. Hoy poo poo the newer audiences though...they took the X&Y finale really 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 hard. Some of which completely giving up on pokemon altogether because they felt they'd been had. And if I'd been their age and gotten this invested? I really can't blame them for feeling that way. It went over like a bomb in japan too, if anything they were even angrier than us over there.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Flopsy posted:

I saw a lot of people genuinely hurt by the fact they just completely discard all the build up X&Y had towards Ash's character arc. I was cautiously optimistic but there's younger folk who were actually really happy and excited about where this was going to go. When it inevitably went into the toilet I felt annoyed with myself for falling for it but not betrayed. Hoy poo poo the newer audiences though...they took the X&Y finale really 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 hard. Some of which completely giving up on pokemon altogether because they felt they'd been had. And if I'd been their age and gotten this invested? I really can't blame them for feeling that way. It went over like a bomb in japan too, if anything they were even angrier than us over there.

Pair that with Sun and Moon throwing not only everything built up in X and Y away, but also throwing away the core premise of the anime and replacing the artstyle with something that in stills looked way worse, and I can understand why anime fans went nuclear.

You know, if they were going to reboot the movie continuity and completely restructure the show's format anyway, why didn't they just give Ash the W? It would've made literally no impact on how Sun and Moon played out.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

XY was the only series where Ash had a fully evolved team by the end.

And he had not one, but two Dragons, and the anime tends to make having Dragons a big deal.

And he had his own unique spin on Mega Evolution.

And on top of all that he actually made it to the actual for real finals of the League.

:sigh:

They had me. They really had me thinking he was going to do it.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Let's take a look at Ash's league results and what caused them.

Kanto: Ash's worst placement, but it's not because his team is at its weakest, it's not because Team rocket kidnapped him and exhausted half his team, and it's definitely not because Ritchie was a stronger opponent - rather the opposite. Instead, Ash loses because he's still a lovely trainer: He never even really tries to reconciliate with Charizard after it evolved even from Charmander. The fault was his and his alone.

Orange League: he wins because it's filler.

Johto: After everyone's character arcs have been fulfilled and it looks like they're gonna start something new, a Hoenn starter shows up. Ash, of course, is stuck here.

Hoenn: Ash can not defeat the strongest Pokémon of all: One wearing a hat.

Sinnoh: After The Guy Who Just Brings His Favorites beats The Competitive Battler, the ultimate opponent shows up, Guy Who Rolls In With Just Legendaries, and for the life of me I still can't understand why people are madder at Tobias than at how Paul just gets to stroll away without even showing some humility at the end of that match. Infernape was robbed.

Unova: After guy who Ash rushed to register only brings five Pokémon to the battle and is getting stomped, a mid-battle evolution happens and the reverse sweep is unstoppable.

Kalos: Ash narrowly loses to character introduced fighting champions and elite four members, they immediately team up in the following arc and there Ash has the upper hand. That arc itself is a nice send-off to "classic-style" Pokémon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I didn't realize those Uniqlo t-shirts would have ended up in Sword and Shield. There are some good designs, but they'd fit Sun/Moon's region more than Sword/Shield's. They should replace them with Monty Python looking Pokemon designs.

Monty Python is 60 years old and was a less big deal in Britain because they had other British comedy shows at the time. If they're gonna have British pop culture joke shirts they should all be Bake Off references.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Let's take a look at Ash's league results and what caused them.

Kanto: Ash's worst placement, but it's not because his team is at its weakest, it's not because Team rocket kidnapped him and exhausted half his team, and it's definitely not because Ritchie was a stronger opponent - rather the opposite. Instead, Ash loses because he's still a lovely trainer: He never even really tries to reconciliate with Charizard after it evolved even from Charmander. The fault was his and his alone.

Thanks for reminding me how dumb Ritchie is.

'Hey let's introduce the Devianart recolor of Ash, who's just like him and has all of the same Pokemon but is just better in every way!'

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm really enjoying all these gym themes (with vocals!!) in Black 2 :3:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Monty Python is 60 years old and was a less big deal in Britain because they had other British comedy shows at the time. If they're gonna have British pop culture joke shirts they should all be Bake OffPeep Show references.

ftfy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm sure that would delight the 250 people who watched Peep Show

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Gladion, there are many things I would do to help you, but digging a hole in the wintry earth with my bare hands so that you can bury the corpse of a Houndoom you've killed is not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Bee posted:

Pair that with Sun and Moon throwing not only everything built up in X and Y away, but also throwing away the core premise of the anime and replacing the artstyle with something that in stills looked way worse, and I can understand why anime fans went nuclear.

You know, if they were going to reboot the movie continuity and completely restructure the show's format anyway, why didn't they just give Ash the W? It would've made literally no impact on how Sun and Moon played out.

I couldn't tell you if you paid me what the hell anime writers are even doing anymore especially with the movies making new continuities unto themselves. And of course Ash still has to be the main character even in the reboots. Hell why wouldn't he be? It's like, no one was asking for any of this, there was literally no demand. I guess I'm just baffled as to what angle they're going for here. Clearly they think Ash and Pikachu are the money makers but they can't fathom what to do with them. It's getting more surreal as time goes on and the anime's hitting marvel comic book levels of narrative with it's: New timeline/alternate universe/Hey lets remake the first movie in 3-D and make Mewtwo's armor ten times shittier! themes. Seriously the poor bastard has a peacock tail of katanas coming out his rear end. Good god LMAO :magical: