Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Was that Gina Torres narrating the trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

You know, we keep going to the well of Vulcans doing a Brexit, but if the Feds being sympathetic to the Romulans spurs some sort of Romula-phobia thing, it seems to me like ultimately you'd end up lose peace with the Klingons, Cardassians, maybe even Bajorans first as well as other various powers. I wonder if we'll see that sort of dynamic, just a big shift in non-Federation allegiances all around the quadrant after Romulus goes down, then maybe a fear-based return to authoritarianism for people like the the Cardassians. The Federation can still be at the sane and rational center of it all.

I know it may not matter to the writers, but I just have a hard time believing the Vulcans becoming isolationist xenophobes. Though this is the iteration of the franchise that gave us logic extremists, so who knows.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 23, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They should get Admiral Nechayev back as an antagonist. She was always into shady poo poo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What is the Federation's Australia?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm stoked that they're willing to do a teaser that looks 99% like a wine advertisement, it pretty well confirms that this isn't going to be the Action Picard from the movies. Now I just have to hope it's not all overdramatic and turns Picard into a Chosen One and all that.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Brawnfire posted:

The Tellarites?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm stoked that they're willing to do a teaser that looks 99% like a wine advertisement, it pretty well confirms that this isn't going to be the Action Picard from the movies. Now I just have to hope it's not all overdramatic and turns Picard into a Chosen One and all that.

What if Picard is the chosen one and the only one who can defeat a new invasion by those alien bugs that took over starfleet command (and were never seen again) and the only way they can win is by getting the old crew together (recently retired Riker, etc.) and hijack a mothballed Galaxy-class starship (because it's the only one that isn't compromised by alien computer technology or whatever) and blow up some kind of alien mcguffin or something? That way it's overdramatic AND Action Picard.

um Alex Kurtzman pls do not steal

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

FlamingLiberal posted:

They should get Admiral Nechayev back as an antagonist. She was always into shady poo poo.

She was really just doing her job.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Picard was promoted to admiral so the series is about his plans to commit genocide.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Picard uses warp 10 to find the sword of kahless and use it to reunite the Klingon empire.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

What if Picard is the chosen one and the only one who can defeat a new invasion by those alien bugs that took over starfleet command (and were never seen again) and the only way they can win is by getting the old crew together (recently retired Riker, etc.) and hijack a mothballed Galaxy-class starship (because it's the only one that isn't compromised by alien computer technology or whatever) and blow up some kind of alien mcguffin or something? That way it's overdramatic AND Action Picard.

As long as the bugs look exactly as stupid as they originally did and it turns out that crescent kicks really are the only way to fight people controlled by said bugs, I'm 100% down.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Enterprise-E is retconned to have always been a Galaxy class.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The show subverts expectations by having Picard die of auto-erotic asphyxiation in the second episode. After the entire Enterprise D bridge crew is murdered at a Klingon peace conference, the rest of the show follows the lives of Picard’s assistant and his shuttle
pilot with no clear trajectory.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Picard was promoted to admiral so the series is about his plans to commit genocide.
Yeah he becomes automatically evil when he gets promoted

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
In a shocking twist, it’s revealed that Worf survived the peace conference massacre only to be radicalized by his experience. The penultimate episode is Worf bombarding Risa from orbit, killing millions. 45 minutes of people screaming.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Kirk knew the Admiralty would corrupt him and turn him into Babby’s First Hitler. So he committed theft so Starfleet would bust him back down to Captain.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Picard put poison in all his wine, shipped thousands of bottles to various Federation ambassadors, and then went into hiding with the help of Thomas Riker.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

The penal colonies are in New Zealand, I think.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

The show subverts expectations by having Picard die of auto-erotic asphyxiation in the second episode. After the entire Enterprise D bridge crew is murdered at a Klingon peace conference, the rest of the show follows the lives of Picard’s assistant and his shuttle
pilot with no clear trajectory.

This isn't the Game of Thrones thread!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah he becomes automatically evil when he gets promoted

I'm trying to think of non-evil admirals. Obviously Kirk for his brief period of admiralty. Admiral Forrest in Enterprise was a decent guy. Uh... Admiral Ross is like the next closest I guess? He wasn't completely terrible.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Finster Dexter posted:

Only if its a shot for shot remake of Blues Brothers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm trying to think of non-evil admirals. Obviously Kirk for his brief period of admiralty. Admiral Forrest in Enterprise was a decent guy. Uh... Admiral Ross is like the next closest I guess? He wasn't completely terrible.
Hanson maybe? He leads the fleet that gets wiped out at Wolf 359

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Picard flew into the fire caves and saved Dukat who became his best friend , rest of series is hilarious rogue buddy cop dramedy

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hanson maybe? He leads the fleet that gets wiped out at Wolf 359

Nacheyev if you ignore the episode where she forces Picard to remove all the settlers, Nakamura since he only showed up to give Picard info, and the woman at the Academy who wanted to expel Wesley.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nacheyev if you ignore the episode where she forces Picard to remove all the settlers, Nakamura since he only showed up to give Picard info, and the woman at the Academy who wanted to expel Wesley.

I think Netcheyev works out because that episode made it pretty drat clear she was having to enforce a treaty she did not like and was taking what she thought was a "Needs of the Many" stance.

She did a great job of being the boss you didn't like, but I don't think it made her a bad admiral.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There was that one time they tried to make her likeable and the result was a vaguely sexist joke about her watching her weight.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Thom12255 posted:

Enterprise-E is retconned to have always been a Galaxy class.

This is the actual six-foot model used in filming:

:tinfoil:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She was an rear end in a top hat in Deep Space 9 ready to sell the Federation out to get an alliance with the dominion but wait I just remembered that was in a simulation nevermind.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Powered Descent posted:

This is the actual six-foot model used in filming:

:tinfoil:

What could have been.

Honestly, I would have been okay if the E was another galaxy class except they took the opportunity to modernize the look on the inside.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Here's a wild prediction:

What caused Picard to leave Starfleet was some sort of gross mismanagement on their part that saw the Enterprise destroyed, and the entire crew (except Picard for reasons) killed. He was promoted to Admiral in absentia after retiring from Starfleet due to the incident.

Nobody from TNG except him has been announced as part of the cast :colbert:

e: realistically though because of the way TNG ended, absolutely nothing from that future will happen, so we definitely won't see:

-Captain Beverly Picard
-Troi dead, so what
-Professor Data
-Admiral Riker
-IT WAS ALL A DISEASE-INDUCED HALLUCINATION
-an Enterprise with 3 nacelles

anything else I'm leaving out?

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 23, 2019

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Grand Fromage posted:

Not technically an admiral, but Commodore Mendez from The Menagerie was pretty chill. The only time we see him for real is a radio message along the lines of "You don't have to kill Spock. Do whatever you think is best with Pike."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Here's a wild prediction:

What caused Picard to leave Starfleet was some sort of gross mismanagement on their part that saw the Enterprise destroyed, and the entire crew (except Picard for reasons) killed.

Don't Frakes, Sirtis and Dorn beg to have their characters return every time there's a new Star Trek project?

It would be really funny if they killed them all off-screen.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Clearly what caused his departure was Wesley's confirmation as the Enterprise E's Communications Officer.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What Enterprise will we be up to in the Picard show? F? G? Have to assume it will show up at some point so that Picard can initially dislike the new captain and be a bit jealous but then after a space adventure they will bond.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Don't Frakes, Sirtis and Dorn beg to have their characters return every time there's a new Star Trek project?

It would be really funny if they killed them all off-screen.

Frakes is directing at least one episode of this one as well, so I'd be shocked if Riker doesn't cameo at least.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The admiral who showed up to the Drumhead trial, then walked out in disgust?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The admiral who showed up to the Drumhead trial, then walked out in disgust?

Oh yeah that guy is good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nechayev was good because suski was being a little buggy and she doesn't chuff it

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I don't want some big conspiracy type thing.

I'm hoping that he led the armada that was evacuating Romulus just in case they failed to stop the supernova. Picard ordered them to hold on a bit too long trying to evacuate as many as possible as it became clear the supernova was happening, and a bunch of ships got destroyed in the process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ah gently caress, the destruction of Romulus is canon now isn't it

It'd be hilarious if they went "nah we're cancelling JJ Trek as canon even as an alternate universe"