Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm so mad I'm going to imagine the two other players are Benioff and Weiss for all of James' remaining games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That feels like 6-7 episodes in a row where the single jeopardy daily double has been in the $1000 row. Moneysaver to let him find it early?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Feel bad for Liz. Not her day.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gaunab posted:

Feel bad for Liz. Not her day.
I don't think she played badly. She rang in on stuff she didn't know and didn't get lucky. You need to be lucky to beat Holzhauer. If you're unlucky you'll lose whether you ring in or not.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
It always bugs me when someone says "let's make it a true daily double" when they have less than the maximum allowed wager. I'm glad Alex finally called someone out for doing that tonight.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Vulture Culture posted:

I don't think she played badly. She rang in on stuff she didn't know and didn't get lucky. You need to be lucky to beat Holzhauer. If you're unlucky you'll lose whether you ring in or not.

You could sort of read her lips and body language at the end credits and she was basically saying just that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
James getting a run for his money tonight.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Was that rumor that James loses by the end of this month ever debunked or still considered reliable?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the daily double should force you into going double or nothing so people play to avoid it.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
2 dimes.......

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I need someone from the future to tell me when James loses, so I can start watching Jeopardy again.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I can't wait to see James in future tournaments so all the other brainiacs are forced to bet insane amounts of money lest they be left in the dust.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Iron Crowned posted:

I need someone from the future to tell me when James loses, so I can start watching Jeopardy again.

I'm actually with you on this. It's not really fun for me to watch some dude just steamroll people, I like watching and actual game. Once he gets enough of a lead, I just sort of tune out because nothing else said on the program really matters.

And for every nice thing he says, he does a douchy 'pro-gambler thing' like the Two Dimes thing or that dumb 'all in' hand motion like he's pushing chips.

Poque posted:

I can't wait to see James in future tournaments so all the other brainiacs are forced to bet insane amounts of money lest they be left in the dust.

This would be funny though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Was that rumor that James loses by the end of this month ever debunked or still considered reliable?

I have not heard anything one way or the other beyond my initial source.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Iron Crowned posted:

not actually a spoiler, just speculation:
ken's loss was leaked almost immediately, and this was at the very beginning of widespread social media--i think there's no chance james has lost and it hasn't leaked, at this point--you're probably good to tune out for the remainder of the season

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm going to pass an audition on my fourth try and be up against an 80 time champion, lol

Anyway the next dingus who actually gets one of the DDs away from James and bets anything but the house needs a beating.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Same.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zakharov posted:

I'm going to pass an audition on my fourth try and be up against an 80 time champion, lol

Anyway the next dingus who actually gets one of the DDs away from James and bets anything but the house needs a beating.

I said yesterday if he keeps winning that guarantees I'll FINALLY get called up this time just to be thrown into the meat grinder.

Best case I'll be the guy who beats him and then ends up in the red the next episode and doesn't even get to stick around for final and everyone will give me poo poo for the rest of my life for it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
When's the earliest time that new Jeopardy airs?

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
That final jeopardy wager tonight. WHY.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

When's the earliest time that new Jeopardy airs?

I believe a CBS station in Alabama airs it at 10:30am. Forgot the city though

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Island Nation posted:

I believe a CBS station in Alabama airs it at 10:30am. Forgot the city though

What is the Montgomery, Alabama, affiliate, a CBS station, which shows J! at 9:30 AM central, 10:30 AM Eastern?

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 24, 2019

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
He could've gone all in on that second DD :(

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

KING HOLZHAUER CLAIMS ANOTHER 😈😈😈

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Am I just paranoid in thinking the near-winners so far are ringers/company men sent in to keep the game exciting? They’ve made strange Final Jeopardy bets when there’s no reason not to go all-in.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Goreld posted:

Am I just paranoid in thinking the near-winners so far are ringers/company men sent in to keep the game exciting?

Yes.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
I wouldn’t go that far, but it was such a strange move in final - you know at least two things about James: he’s going to bet big, and he’s more likely than most to come up with the correct answer. If you’re playing for James to get it wrong because you assume you know nothing about Jazz, why not bet nothing? But he’s rarely wrong, so why not bet nearly everything? Why 10,000?

Maybe some jep strategy pro in here can help explain the potential reasoning.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
The way I explained it to my parents is "See, I don't know WHY you wouldn't go all death-or-glory in Final Jeopardy. You get it right, you double your winnings. You blow it, you're still walking off stage with a thousand bucks." My dad said it was better to bet enough so you'd have (Twice Second Place) + $1; I told him he had no sense of adventure.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I went all in on final for that exact reason. Like, sure, I could have hedged my bets a little and bet everything less a dollar or two or a hundred or whatever and I still would have won, and I knew that given what Erik would bet I still would have won, but gently caress it YOLO.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

There are some final Jeopardy questions that stump everyone. The 10,000 was enough that if Nate got it right and James bet nothing, he was ahead and not so large that if it it was a stumper James would win just because he he had the biggest pile remaining.

It must be head spinning to have a substantial lead and then have James find a Daily Double and quickly make up the distance.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Goreld posted:

Am I just paranoid in thinking the near-winners so far are ringers/company men sent in to keep the game exciting? They’ve made strange Final Jeopardy bets when there’s no reason not to go all-in.
Yes, rigging a game show is a huge deal and it wouldn't be worth it

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I wouldn’t go that far, but it was such a strange move in final - you know at least two things about James: he’s going to bet big, and he’s more likely than most to come up with the correct answer. If you’re playing for James to get it wrong because you assume you know nothing about Jazz, why not bet nothing? But he’s rarely wrong, so why not bet nearly everything? Why 10,000?

Maybe some jep strategy pro in here can help explain the potential reasoning.

$10k covers both the case where they both miss AND the case where James bets nothing (this obviously isn't going to happen, but who knows, maybe James is zorevophobic, why not cover the possibility). If James gets the question right, Nate can't win, so any number that covers a zero bet if correct and doesn't take him below James betting to cover and missing is equally fine. He has to wager at least $5401 and not more than... $14000, i think?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Spokes posted:

zorevophobic

The only source I can find for this word appears to be phobia.wikia so I'm gonna say it's not a real thing.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Laura's the first person that I've recognized from my audition. Shame that it was just to watch her get steamrolled.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The rumor I heard about how much money he winds up winning turned out to be bogus, so I have no idea.

Shame about Nate, at least this episode was more interesting to watch because it was kinda close.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
It's kind of funny that he was held to just under $2 million

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

enigmahfc posted:

I'm actually with you on this. It's not really fun for me to watch some dude just steamroll people, I like watching and actual game. Once he gets enough of a lead, I just sort of tune out because nothing else said on the program really matters.

And for every nice thing he says, he does a douchy 'pro-gambler thing' like the Two Dimes thing or that dumb 'all in' hand motion like he's pushing chips.

This would be funny though.

TBH I rarely get interested in the competitive aspect of Jeopardy; I'm just tuning in to try and answer the questions myself. James is at least interesting to me because he plays so aggressively compared to his opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

A Tasteful Nude posted:

That final jeopardy wager tonight. WHY.

I was baffled why both didn't go all in, because if it was me I would assume the other guy would be doing that. But neither did so I guess they were both right not to? I dunno.

christmas boots posted:

TBH I rarely get interested in the competitive aspect of Jeopardy; I'm just tuning in to try and answer the questions myself. James is at least interesting to me because he plays so aggressively compared to his opponents.

I'm also just enthralled by his mastery of so many different topics. He's just so quick and doesn't seem to have a weak area. He gets the pop culture stuff, the history stuff, geography, sports. It's really amazing to watch.

There's a good chance he's the most insufferable "Well, actually..." Guy in real life, but I'm having a blast watching him on tv.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 24, 2019