Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Kaustik posted:

You could always level an alt Wizard to 27 and use them to gamble for it.

https://www.d3planner.com/game/58979/kadala

Explanation for anyone curious: Some Legendaries can appear before level 70 and if you are at exactly their minimum "item level" you can reduce the possible outcomes for gambling. In this case a level 27 Wizard only has 2 possible legendary rings, massively reducing the average cost to pull it.

You are a good person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

I forgot to include that you should do this with the expectation to "Extract the Legendary Power" in the cube and slot it in there.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kawabata posted:

Point taken, old habits do die hard for old goons. :(

But my tl;dr is: goons, do not pick Necro this season.

The only 2 builds available to push higher GRs (LoN Mages and LoN Thorns) are terrible. Mages has no survivability options and forces you to go full DPS by gr 95 or so, meaning forget about chill gr speedfarming forever: you'll need to manually avoid even the most inoffensive projectiles from neutral trash and Mortar/Thunderstorm elites will crush your soul. Thorns is basically a no go unless you have 30k Int or so and even then only works against certain elites. You'll have to do some insane
gr fishing with Thorns, even more so than with Mages. Currently Paragon 1200+, tried both.

Note than both builds have the potential to be top tier among all classes (especially Thorns, which was considered no.1 during the PTR iirc) but they're as fun as applying an ice pack to your scrotum.

I don't want to be a contrarian but gr 95 on my mage is pretty chill and I'm not even remotely close to Paragon 1200, how the gently caress do you even that already in season.

I just move forward and things die. It's very easy to do solo and fast enough to 3-man carrying a dead weight with a support monk so 2-manning a 3-person 95 PLing someone else was extremely chill.

Edit: Oh I assume you're talking about the Mage set, not Wizards, my mistake, fantasy names all blur in my mind. Still, if you managed to get Paragon 1200 that's the kind of speedfarming that's above and beyond what non-necros can do unless you've been full time at it because holy poo poo thats a lot of levels.

I tried necro and it really didn't seem that much fun.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 23, 2019

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Elentor posted:

I don't want to be a contrarian but gr 95 on my mage is pretty chill and I'm not even remotely close to Paragon 1200, how the gently caress do you even that already in season.

I just move forward and things die. It's very easy to do solo and fast enough to 3-man carrying a dead weight with a support monk so 2-manning a 3-person 95 PLing someone else was extremely chill.

I'm with Elentor on this, mostly because he was the one who PL'd me with his friend running me through GR95 with no problem, even with me deadweighting and himself on a jank Barb WW for some time. I can't speak to Necro because I have not and will not pay money for that class, but for the Wizard ladder everyone is running the same Vyr's build, all the way from rank 1 (currently tier 127) or rank 1000 (currently tier 107). Thorns Wizard is absolutely not what's being used, regardless of 1/2/3/4 player ladder as far as I have seen

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

two questions:

does the initial torment setting of the game matter for running GRs? like say i start on torment 3 and then select a level 30 GR, is that functionally any different than if i picked torment 7 and did a level 30 GR?

is there anywhere that details GR solo builds specifically for HC mode? i only feel alive when the threat of death is real and most builds seem to forsake everything else for DPS, but obviously running on HC i still have to balance DPS against being able to take at least 1 hit without croaking. are the builds the same with the caveat of "socket diamonds into everything" or are there actually builds that are more favorable for HC mode?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Haha, gently caress, did the GR45 without a set run... except I still had set pants on. :doh:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freaking Crumbum posted:

two questions:

does the initial torment setting of the game matter for running GRs? like say i start on torment 3 and then select a level 30 GR, is that functionally any different than if i picked torment 7 and did a level 30 GR?

is there anywhere that details GR solo builds specifically for HC mode? i only feel alive when the threat of death is real and most builds seem to forsake everything else for DPS, but obviously running on HC i still have to balance DPS against being able to take at least 1 hit without croaking. are the builds the same with the caveat of "socket diamonds into everything" or are there actually builds that are more favorable for HC mode?

The game difficulty settings don't matter for GRs.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Is there any reason for Monks to not have Exploding Palm on the skill bar at all times (bar boss fights), because that seems pretty darn good.

flatluigi posted:

Yeah, eventually they just leave. Don't play in areas where goblins can spawn at high difficulties if you're not doing damage enough to kill all parts of a goblin pack otherwise you'll get very sad

Ah, well I'm still at a low level playing classes for the first time and trying out the new runes/powers as they unlock, so my killing power can vary depending on the combination. I do try and sneak around and clear out space to kill goblins. I'm not terribly concerned about missing a couple generic goblins here and there at this point

My Unstable Scepter wizard on the other hand killed all of a Gelatinous Sire's spawn and that did make me happy.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is there any reason for Monks to not have Exploding Palm on the skill bar at all times (bar boss fights), because that seems pretty darn good.

Ah, well I'm still at a low level playing classes for the first time and trying out the new runes/powers as they unlock, so my killing power can vary depending on the combination. I do try and sneak around and clear out space to kill goblins. I'm not terribly concerned about missing a couple generic goblins here and there at this point

My Unstable Scepter wizard on the other hand killed all of a Gelatinous Sire's spawn and that did make me happy.

Wave of Light is better in every way. Except whrn leveling and you are under like level 40 something ish.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Dameius posted:

Wave of Light is better in every way. Except whrn leveling and you are under like level 40 something ish.

Ah, that would be me. Right now Wave of Light is ok, but super-expensive to cast. I guess I haven't unlocked the really good Wave of Light runes yet. At this moment, Exploding Palm clears out an entire group all at once (that is, if I can figure out which one is affected and properly target to kill them first). It probably seems really good because the rest of my killing power is not so good.

I'm leveling faster than upgrades to equipment is dropping, which probably is one reason my kill efficiency is all over the place.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Elentor posted:

Edit: Oh I assume you're talking about the Mage set, not Wizards, my mistake, fantasy names all blur in my mind. Still, if you managed to get Paragon 1200 that's the kind of speedfarming that's above and beyond what non-necros can do unless you've been full time at it because holy poo poo thats a lot of levels.

I tried necro and it really didn't seem that much fun.

Yeah sorry about the confusion, when I say LoN Mages I mean Necro's skeletal mages. 1200 paragon is quite hard at this point in the season but you can do it if you're at home sick (I am :( ) and have a couple of younger friends who are still very much into diablo and speedfarm grifts all day every day. I've never been this far into Paragon this early.

Anyway both Mages and Necros "walk around while everything dies" but the thing is Necros also die a bunch when they do that and god forbid you have a bad floor with many dead ends or multiple doors or narrow passages because that immediately fucks your rift, even doable ones mob wise.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have a LON DH setup that they like? I'm just saving everything ancient at this point, as I grind up complete Impale and Speed UE sets, but I figure at some point I'll dive in there and check out that motley assortment of ancient stuff.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

I've gotten ridiculously lucky, between hitting 70 and paragon 300 got the following ancients: carnevil, hellfire with good passive and 95chd, strongarms, Aquila cuirass, weapon, boots, gloves & mojo slots (all not great but who cares this season). Also picked up a bunch of sometimes hard to get regular legendaries: in-goem, tall man's finger, nemisis with crit, tasker & Theo and a few others. Haven't even done enough GRs to get all the gems, never thought I'd say this but thank you kadala.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

two questions:

There is some kind of website that shows skill and gear setups for hardcore leaderboards but I'm on my phone and can't find it. Many builds are identical, but with a cheat death. Idk I played a hundredish hours of hardcore but lost interest, I'm boring now :(

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

big cummers ONLY posted:

There is some kind of website that shows skill and gear setups for hardcore leaderboards but I'm on my phone and can't find it. Many builds are identical, but with a cheat death. Idk I played a hundredish hours of hardcore but lost interest, I'm boring now :(

I mean you can just look at leaderboards in-game and see equipment/skillsets, you probably won't care about anything that isn't current-season anyways

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Ah, that would be me. Right now Wave of Light is ok, but super-expensive to cast. I guess I haven't unlocked the really good Wave of Light runes yet. At this moment, Exploding Palm clears out an entire group all at once (that is, if I can figure out which one is affected and properly target to kill them first). It probably seems really good because the rest of my killing power is not so good.

I'm leveling faster than upgrades to equipment is dropping, which probably is one reason my kill efficiency is all over the place.
Yeah, leveling is basically a completely different game than endgame.

The most popular (I think?) monk build is the Wave of Light build, and what makes "builds" in endgame D3 is the legendary items you wear that buff specific powers (on top of the sets that give more generic power boosts). For WoL, specifically, there are four supporting items and in total they offer about a 140x multiplier on WoL's damage (if I've done my math right). Not only is there not similar support for EP, but if there was you couldn't wear all of it at once. That means that EP's damage will pretty much never live up to WoL's and so the skill slot would be put to better use with something that instead supports WoL (or survivability) in some manner.

But until you get there, use whatever makes you happy.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hey I don't play a lot of Diabolo. Is it expected that I should be running GRs and one shotting everything but dying to almost any damage as a DH?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I started necro with dreams of just speedfarming t16 but I hit a wall around t6 since I can’t find a thing to improve my build (or finish it)
What I’m saying is, let me leech gear someone.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AlternateAccount posted:

Hey I don't play a lot of Diabolo. Is it expected that I should be running GRs and one shotting everything but dying to almost any damage as a DH?

no, but there's a lot of different reasons why that could be the case depending on what you're using.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Sounds like you've got a lot of your damage items but not defensive items. Depending on the build you're using DH can be extremely tanky. Most of their popular builds aren't extremely squishy either.

To get more defense use the Vengeance rune that gives 50% damage reduction and then there's a hand xbow that halves your Vengeance cooldown. There's a bracer that halves your damage taken when you use a generator skill. There's also the Unity ring which halves your damage taken once you put one on your follower and yourself and give your follower the invincibility token.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bamhand posted:

Sounds like you've got a lot of your damage items but not defensive items. Depending on the build you're using DH can be extremely tanky. Most of their popular builds aren't extremely squishy either.

To get more defense use the Vengeance rune that gives 50% damage reduction and then there's a hand xbow that halves your Vengeance cooldown. There's a bracer that halves your damage taken when you use a generator skill. There's also the Unity ring which halves your damage taken once you put one on your follower and yourself and give your follower the invincibility token.

Also the Elusive ring that reduces damage by 60% after vaulting is nice.

Post your build from battle.net and we can give suggestions. This goes for anybody struggling. For those not in the know (seems like a lot of new folks here) log into your account and "view profile" and post the link.

Here's my thrown together DH build to get the 6 sets of GR55 conquest as an example:
https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Larrymer-1390/hero/107860638

Kawabata posted:

But my tl;dr is: goons, do not pick Necro this season.

This is necro every season. It's pretty polarizing in the sets and play style offered. Can't say I'm a fan of it either but they can be silly powerful as well.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 24, 2019

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!

Snacksmaniac posted:

I started necro with dreams of just speedfarming t16 but I hit a wall around t6 since I can’t find a thing to improve my build (or finish it)
What I’m saying is, let me leech gear someone.

Ill help you out if youre euro.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Suburban Dad posted:

Also the Elusive ring that reduces damage by 60% after vaulting is nice.

Post your build from battle.net and we can give suggestions. This goes for anybody struggling. For those not in the know (seems like a lot of new folks here) log into your account and "view profile" and post the link.

Here's where everyone points and laughs :(

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/PreciousRoy-1665/hero/111061383

mewse
May 2, 2006

You've got elusive ring and aquila, that's good

Gem diamonds in hat/chest/legs

Dawn in cube and vengeance/dark heart gives 50% dmg reduction. Needs 36-37% cooldown reduction for perma vengeance.

Travelers pledge jewelry set gives dmg reduction as well

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I'm just a newbie idiot, so take my criticisms with a dose of salt.
Why are you socketing low-level Emeralds? By that point you should be able to craft the best ones. Your survivability is your issue, not your damage, so perhaps craft some high-level Amethysts or Diamonds for your gear.

At Paragon 270, you should probably have a lot of equipment choices. I guess you're using Squirt's Necklace for the critical hit damage? Why are you using the Ring of Royal Grandeur when you have the full 6 set items already? None of the other bonuses on it look to be specific to the ring.

Your follower probably isn't that important, but why no other ring for the Enchantress (I assume that's who you're using). I'm sure at least a rare ring could drop since she isn't immune to death.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 24, 2019

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Thanks on the gem thing. That's a derp. I literally just found and switched out jewelry for compass rose/travelers pledge. That got rid of RoRG and Squirt's.

Wouldnt I have to change set gear to run more Vengeance?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Thanks on the gem thing. That's a derp. I literally just found and switched out jewelry for compass rose/travelers pledge. That got rid of RoRG and Squirt's.

Wouldnt I have to change set gear to run more Vengeance?

RRoG lets you wear 5 set pieces instead of 6. So pick one between Visage of Gunes and Aquila to cube and wear the other. Dawn in cube for weapon slot. FoK is for the armor bonus buff, not to do more damage. You can cube a CoE or Unity for more damage or more toughness. Ideally you would wear one of those and cube your RRoG.

e: I see that you said you swapped in Travelers. In that case I'd recommend wearing the Elusive Ring and cubing RRoG.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 24, 2019

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Completed my GR70 with level 17 bracers because those were the only blood bracers that dropped ever :allears:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Suburban Dad posted:

Bro, I'm talking about with Sages on T16, pay attention to context. :v:

This is what happens when I skim & reply on public transit. Sorry!

Regarding Inna WoL being better than SWK WoL, sure! Innas is even better for Haedrigs, I think. If either of those suits are up for Haedrigs on a season start, I start monk.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

as a tal rasha afficionado that hates "blow a cooldown then run away for two minutes" builds, the vyr focus is killing me

bamhand posted:

Your downtime with Vyr's is pretty low. Stack CDR and Obsidian Ring does the rest. Plus keeping your stacks out of archon means you're not completely useless. Also you actually need to be building Chantodo stacks when you're out of archon mode so you shouldn't be just running away.

ended up playing with chantodo some since I got a lucky double-drop at like paragon 2 and ended up liking it more than I expected compared to what I expected from playing 2 minute CD builds from Necro, and then once I finally got the full Vyr set I basically barrelrolled straight from GR50 to GR75 with no sign of hitting an actual peak so point taken

at this point my only real complaint is that it seems to be 100% incompatible with sages so I'm still having to set up a TR set for proper DB farming

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A) Hey I’m gonna add the Wolfcryer newbie guide to the OP, any other suggestions for cleaning it up?

B) I’m gonna gently caress around with LoNBomb this weekend, what other Ring besides CoE works with ponysplosions?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've decided to build a "Team Fortress" Demon Hunter. The Helltrapper Hand Crossbow says it can only be found in Act 4/5 Horadric Caches. Does that mean it can't be gambled for at Kadala?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
If you don't care about GR pushing, the necromancer is pretty cool this season. LoN Iron Rose build is chill and fun and totally capable of doing well more than Guardian requires.

I've decided to build a "Team Fortress" Demon Hunter. The Helltrapper Hand Crossbow says it can only be found in Act 4/5 Horadric Caches. Does that mean it can't be gambled for at Kadala?
Correct. And, specifically, you'll want to farm A5 caches. The A4 ones can drop anything from all of the other acts, so your odds of getting what you want for time spent are much, much worse.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

ended up playing with chantodo some since I got a lucky double-drop at like paragon 2 and ended up liking it more than I expected compared to what I expected from playing 2 minute CD builds from Necro, and then once I finally got the full Vyr set I basically barrelrolled straight from GR50 to GR75 with no sign of hitting an actual peak so point taken

at this point my only real complaint is that it seems to be 100% incompatible with sages so I'm still having to set up a TR set for proper DB farming

You are correct.

TR Sages will still disappoint you in T16, whether it's solo or group play (unless it's just Explosive Blast that's weak, idk). That being said, you're not exactly dead weight either; my ideal farming strategy for T16 is to have one member of the group play a big-boy spec, and the other three can wear a Sage's build. Then each person of the team takes turns being the carrier while the other three get a payday. Rinse and repeat every 5 rifts or each night or however frequently you play together.

If you're rolling pubbie games, then that might not be the best strategy (I haven't tried yet)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
TR sages is alright if you go meteor instead of explosive blast. Squishy but you kill stuff pretty quickly.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just encountered The Lord of Bells and Josh Mosquiera as Rift Guardians practically back-to-back in Nephalem Rifts. The only reason why it wasn't technically back-to-back is that I accidentally loaded my level 8 gambling DH instead of my Level 60+ wizard and opened a rift only long enough to realize I picked the wrong character.

I also got the first piece of my "Team Fortress" gear - Tasker and Theo. I think I might have to re-roll it with my DH, though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zarin posted:

You are correct.

TR Sages will still disappoint you in T16, whether it's solo or group play (unless it's just Explosive Blast that's weak, idk). That being said, you're not exactly dead weight either; my ideal farming strategy for T16 is to have one member of the group play a big-boy spec, and the other three can wear a Sage's build. Then each person of the team takes turns being the carrier while the other three get a payday. Rinse and repeat every 5 rifts or each night or however frequently you play together.

If you're rolling pubbie games, then that might not be the best strategy (I haven't tried yet)

I've just repurposed the TR GR push build I usually use with sages/nemesis and cranked it back to T15 until I get better gear. Even when it was only +1 DB, it was something like "If you can clear T10 with sages faster than you can clear T13 without, do T10 with"; having Sages be double DBs means you can crank it even further down if necessary and still come out ahead.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
This game is horribly random, in the worst possible way, because I'm thinking it's deliberately loving with me.

I cobble together a terrible, but just about functional LON Carnevil setup with random ancients (mostly not the right item, never mind good stats), to see how it plays.

On the first lvl 60 grift to try it out, the important pants drop, and ancient too!

But no sockets. Ah well, easily fixed....haha, no.

I counted 22(!) single-socket rolls, plus God knows how many other trash options before getting two sockets, and now have next to no crafting materials left, and it's not even a very good ancient.

Still, Carnevil/darts does look like it might be fun once I get some more stuff.

I'm aiming for

https://www.d3planner.com/870922929

Is there anything should be changed with that?

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

Looted the following: Ancient Myken's Ball Of Hate, Ancient The Shame Of Delsere, and an Ancient Velvet Camaral.

UnLiMiTeD pOwEr

But for real though give me my stupid Wizard Hat and Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac so I can do sick drifts through Torment XVI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Probably going to level a second character soon. I'm looking for a build that doesn't have to micromanage buffs and isn't often resource-starved; what's out there?