Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

NikkolasKing posted:

Are you in the desert now? I'm trying to figure out exactly where you are. There is a time when Fran gets a status effect on her via plot.

And did you put the Manufactured Nethicite Larsa gives you on one of them? It halves all elemental damage but you have permanent Silence on whoever is wearing it.

Ahh, yeah, I’m in the desert right after you do the plot stuff directly after the Leviathan.

And yeah, I think I did equip that on at least one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fran's story beat should be way later iirc. Double check their equipment then interact with a save crystal.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So what was that one FF boss that was a roadblock to you when you were a dumb babby first playing the game?

X had a bunch of these - the Seymour fight on gagazet, then Yunalesca stand out for me.

VIII ultima weapon, think I ended having to cheese that with holy war spam.

VI the guy on top of Kefka’s tower - didn’t know about the usual strategies to deal with ultima so I kept track of his hp on paper, then used that summon that makes the whole party jump timing it so a jumper would get the kill while someone’s still in the air.

VII ruby weapon - only got it abusing the w item glitch to spam infinite tazers at it with one dude while Cloud double-cut it.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 23, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
At various times in my youth, I've been stonewalled by Atma Weapon, Demon Wall, and Yunalesca. I don't know if Angra Maniyu counts, being an optional superboss, but I remember fighting that fucker for ages. At one point I got bored, paused the boss fight, and played a few rounds of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Guardian in Chrono Trigger. My idiot child brain just couldn't figure out how to not get hit by Delta Attack over and over even though it's very simple. I also had a bunch of trouble with Giga Gaia, which is basically the same fight but harder.

For mainline FF games, I think the most stuck I ever got was Wrexsoul in FF3 SNES.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Motor Ball in FFVII completely nuked my first play through so bad as a 12 year old that I just gave up and didn’t touch the game for a few months. I ended up starting over from the beginning.

I vividly remember that I was level 11-13, constantly ran from battles, and ignored materia.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that FF7 uprezzing mod looks very nice

shame that making FF7 moddable is a pain in the rear end

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol, when I first played a Final Fantasy was VI, and I had not played anything like it before and I was so confused the Whelk was kicking my rear end.

My main wall in old rpgs was how long I could get on a rental, and if some other jerkoff hadn't deleted my file between rentals

Chrono Trigger was weird though because if anybody on the rental cart had beaten it then new game+ would just be there, so I'd load that up and see the weird shiny thing in the telepod at the beginning and that was all it took to never choose that option again.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

So what was that one FF boss that was a roadblock to you when you were a dumb babby first playing the game?

FF8 was my first ever rpg and i didn't understand the junction system at all, so the Demon boss at the top of the comm tower that blows away Biggs and Wedge was a massive block for me since I only had Attack commands. Thankfully a friend at school told me to equip my giant hulking monsters of death and destruction to unlock items and magic and eventually beat him.

FF9 was fine for me most of the way through until disc 3 when I forgot to heed Kujas warning about bringing magic users to Oeilevert and proceeded to bring all my highest level party members which were Garnet, Eiko and Vivi. Even though I managed beat the Ark, I was left in Kujas palace with my lowest level characters and no gear so the boss destroyed me. After asking around I decided to just restart the game and learned a valuable lesson about keeping backup saves.

FF7 I remember having a lot of trouble with demon wall but I think I just kind of gave up on the game for a few years cos I didn't beat it until years later when I had more time/focus.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Gologle posted:

The original novel though, as someone who read alot of her stuff before I even heard that there was a cartoon adaptation of her most prominent book, isn't that great.

I think you meant to say that the original novel is a lot better.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Whelk and Guard Scorpion are the you must be this old to play checks.

I guess they are more like look how cool and active ATB is, but let's be honest it mostly ended up keeping 8 year olds from playing unsupervised.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

NikkolasKing posted:

The back to back Calcabrina/Golbez fight in FF4. The SNES version of the game had a partial walkthrough in the manual that ends right outside the dwarf castle, so the dolls were the first boss fight where I had no idea what to expect and they wrecked my poo poo hard on my first attempt.

My second attempt was still pretty rough, but I managed to limp across the finish line with only Yang and Rosa still standing. And then that ominous pipe organ started playing and Golbez showed up and a new fight started before I had a chance to recover from the fight against the dolls. Golbez summoned his Shadow Dragon, and Yang and Rosa were paralyzed and killed before I had a chance to revive Kain and Cecil, so that was another game over.

At that point, I was stumped. I briefly considered grinding to level up Rosa to get her the Life2 spell, but decided to try the fight one more time normally. I finally managed to beat the dolls with everyone alive, went into the Golbez fight... and despaired as he paralyzed my team and started killing them all off again, saving Cecil for last... :negative:

... and then Rydia showed up to save my rear end and cemented her position as my favorite character in the game. :unsmith:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

FF9 was fine for me most of the way through until disc 3 when I forgot to heed Kujas warning about bringing magic users to Oeilevert and proceeded to bring all my highest level party members which were Garnet, Eiko and Vivi. Even though I managed beat the Ark, I was left in Kujas palace with my lowest level characters and no gear so the boss destroyed me. After asking around I decided to just restart the game and learned a valuable lesson about keeping backup saves.

i almost did exactly this but decided it'd be silly to bring two white mages. so thankfully eiko was able to keep everyone in the desert palace crew alive long enough for them to do some unintentional power leveling

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

W.T. Fits posted:

The back to back Calcabrina/Golbez fight in FF4. The SNES version of the game had a partial walkthrough in the manual that ends right outside the dwarf castle, so the dolls were the first boss fight where I had no idea what to expect and they wrecked my poo poo hard on my first attempt.

My second attempt was still pretty rough, but I managed to limp across the finish line with only Yang and Rosa still standing. And then that ominous pipe organ started playing and Golbez showed up and a new fight started before I had a chance to recover from the fight against the dolls. Golbez summoned his Shadow Dragon, and Yang and Rosa were paralyzed and killed before I had a chance to revive Kain and Cecil, so that was another game over.

At that point, I was stumped. I briefly considered grinding to level up Rosa to get her the Life2 spell, but decided to try the fight one more time normally. I finally managed to beat the dolls with everyone alive, went into the Golbez fight... and despaired as he paralyzed my team and started killing them all off again, saving Cecil for last... :negative:

... and then Rydia showed up to save my rear end and cemented her position as my favorite character in the game. :unsmith:

Welcome to the Calcabrina Roadblock club. Yeah me and my dad died a lot to them, having to grind because no strategy guide to know that you need to keep Cecil alive. Also that and bad luck on the giant doll form with Yang poison claws forcing it to use the script to split up again.

Ultima Weapon/Atma Weapon was a problem when I first fought him, but not a issue at all in recent years. Same with Seymour Flux and Yunalesca, the other two ruthless roadblock bosses.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I just started FFXV, the start of this game is really good thus far and it looks AMAZING on PC on highest setting although I am getting some fps drops here n there. The soundtrack is legit already one of my favs only 3 hours in. Every track I've heard is so loving beautiful. Wish the music would play more often.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Not a boss fight per se but Kefka's Tower stopped me from beating FF6 in childhood because I never had the patience to grind enough levels to not just get loving wrecked every time I stepped foot in the tower.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’ll admit, back when I got the GBA port of FF1, Lich was probably my biggest roadblock. Once I got through him, the only other hitch I can remember was finding the caravan you needed to buy something from for the airship.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

Not a boss fight per se but Kefka's Tower stopped me from beating FF6 in childhood because I never had the patience to grind enough levels to not just get loving wrecked every time I stepped foot in the tower.

The people who do it with like three or four characters on their first playthrough are total psychos

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember in FF1, Astos was a real bitch I struggled with since he could use instakill attacks. Plus getting to him was difficult too.

First time I played FF6 I struggled with Kefka when you fought him in the battle of Narshe. I did a 3-2-2 party formation instead of a 4-2-1. I only ended up beating him because I triggered Sabin's limit break (my young brain couldn't comprehend doing blitzes). When I told my brother Sabin charged at Kefka like Goku and did a poo poo ton of damage, he didn't believe me.

I died many times to demon wall in FF7 and basically had to grind there for awhile. I hadn't had Aeris progress past L1 limit breaks since I kept her to healing, mostly. It also took me several times to beat Emerald Weapon before I decided to trigger lucky 7s.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I still usually die a couple times to FF7 Demon Wall, drunk on the power of enemy skills that don't do damage fast enough and taking a couple tries to remember how weird haste works.

I have never done Seymour Flux without a overdriven summon bomb. But Yunalesca has a bunch of viable strategies and she's just a giant troll fight like Safer Sephiroth where you can't wipe if you have confuse proof and a stack of Phoenix downs.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

The people who do it with like three or four characters on their first playthrough are total psychos

Honestly though it is pretty sad how underwhelming the final boss fight is even going in at like level 45 or 50. I don't think I even had to swap any characters out when I finally beat the game. I think that's the biggest problem with the various FF battle systems, fights are either too easy (either due to the fight design or people overleveling) or something comes across as way too hard. I definitely feel like out of all the games I've finished 13 had the most difficult and satisfying boss encounters but some of the regular fights were annoyingly difficult to the point I'd keep away from the game because I knew a long section of tedious fights was next up.

In comparison nothing in 12 has been too tough, but taking on some of the optional fights/hunts at a lower than typical level has been kind of fun. Also routinely swapping between my a team and b team so that I'm never way overleveled has kept it fresh. I think back when I played the og version of 12 on my PS2 I had three characters that were in the 40s and three that were low 20s when I finished the game.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The first time I beat 12, I took down Vayne with my party in their high 30s - low 40s with literally everyone armed with axes.

Strategy (or leveling) wasn’t my forte.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I feel like I had a really hard time with Lost Number in the Shinra Safe, but I played it a couple years ago and I don't even remember it being a roadblock at all so I'm going to say I was just young and stupid.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ya know none of the mainline games I can really remember having a problem with but ffta's final boss hosed me up a lot as a kid, like I remember when I finally beat her i only had Marche still alive. I have never had the much trouble again

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Oxxidation posted:

that FF7 uprezzing mod looks very nice

shame that making FF7 moddable is a pain in the rear end

It's not exactly smooth, but if you follow the guide it's a pretty painless process.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Compared to when I first started trying to mod FFVII back in 2009 it's come a very long way. This was the first PC game I had ever played and I wanted to try it because I had seen videos on YT of people with graphics mods where they made the characters actually look like real people. It blew my mind. I never got it to work. I did everything I was told to but my Advent Children Cloud had no head.

Several years later there was the Bootleg mod which was a program where you activated the various features you wanted to mod like which soundtrack you wanted, which models you wanted, which opening screen you wanted, and a lot more. It came with a torrent of all the mods that was several GB in size. It took forever to install everything and I got tons of errors several times and had to start all over.

7th Heaven and stuff seems so much simpler and quicker than any of this. And I can't even imagine what it was like to mod the game before 2009 and all the updated PC versions and simplified 'just click this one thing and it will instantly install the mod" programs. Must have been a nightmare.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

I did everything I was told to but my Advent Children Cloud had no head.

That's a feature.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay, let's see!

FF4: The first one I ever played, as FF2 US. I was like 8, so almost every boss past a certain point was a roadblock for me. The biggest ones for me were Baigan, the Magus Sisters, Calbrena, Rubicante, the Four Fiends rematch, and of course Zeromus.

FF6: I got stuck on the part leading up to the Floating Continent for a long time, where you fight a bunch of flying mecha followed by Ultros/Typhon and then finally Air
Force. Then the Storm Dragon kept kicking my rear end until I learned it was super-weak to thunder.

Chrono Trigger: The Twin Golem fight was the hardest for me, actually. The elemental counter-attacks were just shredding me. Eventually I discovered you could keep resetting their turns by repeatedly casting spells of different elements, and then I was able to win. Also, the Retinite fight late in the game was tough since you had to keep hitting it with water to weaken its defense.

FFX: Seymour Flux was a wake-up call; I was stuck on him for a while. And Yunalesca, holy poo poo, what a pain in the rear end she was.

Saint Freak posted:

I feel like I had a really hard time with Lost Number in the Shinra Safe, but I played it a couple years ago and I don't even remember it being a roadblock at all so I'm going to say I was just young and stupid.

You know, I did too. Once it gets to half HP and takes on its full physical/magical form, it suddenly gets strong as gently caress and it's basically a damage race at that point. It is weak to Stop, if I recall.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

asura in ff2, because i ran away from most random encounters and used weird strategies typically involving Jump timings and Cover to squeeze my way through the game. well, you can't beat asura without Wall (unless you have some kind of crazy rng luck).

actually i went through Land of Monsters at such a low level that i hadn't even learned Float yet

FactsAreUseless posted:

For mainline FF games, I think the most stuck I ever got was Wrexsoul in FF3 SNES.

even as an adult knowing the trick to that fight, doing wrexsoul the legitimate way is BULL. poo poo.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

I did everything I was told to but my Advent Children Cloud had no head.

Pictured: NikkolasKing

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

The White Dragon posted:

actually i went through Land of Monsters at such a low level that i hadn't even learned Float yet

That sounds... painful.

FF1 my first roadblock was the Wizards in the Marsh Cave. Once I did beat them, I would always get killed on the way back. Then I learned to stockpile potions. Left an impression on 9-year-old me.

FF4 was Calcabrina. gently caress those dolls.

After that I pretty much concerned myself with getting every ability/spell/item/enemy/etc so I was typically overleveled. Oh, to be a kid again.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

Ulio posted:

I just started FFXV, the start of this game is really good thus far and it looks AMAZING on PC on highest setting although I am getting some fps drops here n there. The soundtrack is legit already one of my favs only 3 hours in. Every track I've heard is so loving beautiful. Wish the music would play more often.

The Kingsglaive score is super good. It was my favorite album to listen to in the Regalia.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

Like, FFX is such a well-designed game. The Chocobo Eater is a test to see if you are keeping up with your sphere grid or if you have figured out how the battle system works. You can lose but it's to show you that you need to, well, git gud for what's to come. The real roadblock is the boss that comes after. SinSpawn Gui was a nightmare for me as a kid and I think a lot of people share that experience. I had no idea how to properly use the Sphere Grid or how useful things like Cheer were and it was all really lame and embarrassing on my part.

My favorite story about FF bosses and childhood is not knowing English when I played FF2 and struggling with Dark Knight Cecil a lot before an older friend told me Cure2s were available in Mysidia so I just doubled back, bought a whole lot of em, then beat the crap out of him without ever understanding my Paladinhood lesson because what the heck is a Parry

It's extremely fortunate that it's possible in that version because he has 1000 HP instead of infinite

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Hey folks, I'm gonna play Final Fantasy VII for the first time (not my first FF though) on Steam. Are there any graphical/performance enhancing mods for it or should I play it as is?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Max Coveri posted:

Hey folks, I'm gonna play Final Fantasy VII for the first time (not my first FF though) on Steam. Are there any graphical/performance enhancing mods for it or should I play it as is?

Just wait for the Remake. :laugh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Max Coveri posted:

the remako mod looks excellent but actually installing it is a bit of a task

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bregor posted:

That sounds... painful.

it sounds nasty when you know Float is a spell but if you don't then it's just a dungeon where you take the really long way around and once in a while you have to walk on a damage tile and then heal afterwards :v:

and run away from the arachnes because quake is fuckin scary but hey i've been running away from random encounters all game. i thought it was normal to run from monsters you didn't like to fight!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Don Gato posted:

Gizamaluke in FF9 kept wiping the floor with me as a dumb child because I didn't know how to get rid of silence or make his attacks hit less hard

This and once I brute force my way past it was Ark.

in X it was the Seymour fight in Macalania then the Seymour Gagazet fight then Yunalesca. How I got as far as I did being stupid on the sphere grid is beyond me.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Don Gato posted:

Gizamaluke in FF9 kept wiping the floor with me as a dumb child because I didn't know how to get rid of silence or make his attacks hit less hard

Also I really wanted whatever he dropped from stealing and would get obsessed with hammering steal because he obviously had something good if it was this hard to get.

I remember this kid back in high school got stuck on gizamaluke for like three Blockbuster rentals and I think he eventually burned out there. Meanwhile playing it on Switch, I had to try to not kill the thing while waiting for a steal to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

mateo360 posted:

This and once I brute force my way past it was Ark.

in X it was the Seymour fight in Macalania then the Seymour Gagazet fight then Yunalesca. How I got as far as I did being stupid on the sphere grid is beyond me.

I remember Ark being a roadblock for me too but I can't really remember why