Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mantis42 posted:

drat these Yellow Turban guys are tough as nails. The have special unbreakable units that will fight to the last if surrounded on all sides and despite the little bar saying my generals are even or superior they still lose duels handily.

Guan Yu solves that problem. :benevolence:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm playing Cao Cao. Xiahou Dun is failing me!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

drat these Yellow Turban guys are tough as nails. The have special unbreakable units that will fight to the last if surrounded on all sides and despite the little bar saying my generals are even or superior they still lose duels handily.

Having 'right' on your side makes the difference.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do hope they do something to stop the loving vasilization train.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah based on what you guys are saying, the vassalization stuff sounds bad. Maybe CA should implement a big diplomacy malus for when the liege and vassal rulers have opposing traits to make it so they rebel more often. It would make sense thematically too, since an heir with different traits taking over could cause huge unhappiness with a vassal

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Whoever designed the "this is how far you can move" visuals this time around should probably be fired.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah based on what you guys are saying, the vassalization stuff sounds bad. Maybe CA should implement a big diplomacy malus for when the liege and vassal rulers have opposing traits to make it so they rebel more often. It would make sense thematically too, since an heir with different traits taking over could cause huge unhappiness with a vassal

I'm only seeing vassalization from Yuan Shao, and I thought being able to do that early was his faction ability

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

vasslization feels like something that's gonna get nerfed into the loving ground come the first patch tbh

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The Duggler posted:

Whoever designed the "this is how far you can move" visuals this time around should probably be fired.

agreed, dont know why they made it worse than ever

i rerolled yellow turban as a change of pace and have been tearing it up as Gong Du. 3 veteran bros with heavy halberds, horse archers and hybrid melee archers. they also seem to get heavy shielded crossbow fighters though I haven't tried them yet.
In general the yellow turban seem to get some loving nice units which i didnt expect and although their veterans are supposed to be troop killers not duellers I've won every duel so far, though some by the skin of my teeth. meanwhile I have 2 other lawnmowers going around routing units.

Also get a more traditional tech tree for some reason :shrug:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
man, this game is loving awesome. Most fun I've had since RTW1, though I haven't played the WH titles.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cao Ren is much less of a beast than I expected him to be. Kinda a wimp, actually. Same for Dian Wei. I'm also sad that I think I just kinda, accidentally killed Xun Yu?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Having 'right' on your side makes the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYpJ37ulsnk

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I caved in due to the good reviews. I shall fight as the leader of the Black Mountain Bandits, Zhang Yan.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Still funny: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pl-GKxmA0o

Game has some jank still but nothing horrid. It’s the most fun history title yet so far, imo. Embracing the more fanciful aspects of the setting with Warhammery influences works really well for the game that TW is. It’s not like that isn’t what TW has always done, but this time they are acknowledging it instead of trying for that Hollywood Historical Epic feel. RIP Total Realism mods.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It hasn't been mentioned a lot but the music in this game is great.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Trade your leftover trinkets. Holy crap you can get so much for them

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Scott Forstall posted:

Trade your leftover trinkets. Holy crap you can get so much for them

Yeah, with a bit of trade attractiveness you get 1k each. And you get 3-5 per battle.

If some lord wants to have the worlds biggest Beanie Baby clay pig collection who am I to turn him down?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

caved due to my love of 3 kindoms poo poo. Cao Cao is a loving riot.

I need to get over there to kill that dude
"But I like him"
No you don't
"gently caress that guy!!!"

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Lmao a Radious overhaul is already out there for people who want even less unit diversity.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Anno posted:

Lmao a Radious overhaul is already out there for people who want even less unit diversity.

Yeah being out the gate first is very much his thing

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have been thoroughly disappointed by the AI in... well the last Total War game with non-poo poo AI may have been Shogun 2 or Medieval 2? It has been a while.

How is the AI?

I am not looking for tactical brilliance but Rome 2 and Warhammer had just... just abysmal AI and a complete inability to conduct or defend a siege.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Starting a campaign for real now and I don't understand how anyone picks not-Liu Bei. Even if he isn't your fave, his bros probably are if you're sane.

Liu Bei's campaign is loving rough. The AI gives absolutely no fucks and is going to triple team you no matter what, best to just run south as fast as possible. I no longer hold a single province in your 'intended' start or that Tao Qian handed over

Diogines posted:

I have been thoroughly disappointed by the AI in... well the last Total War game with non-poo poo AI may have been Shogun 2 or Medieval 2? It has been a while.

How is the AI?

I am not looking for tactical brilliance but Rome 2 and Warhammer had just... just abysmal AI and a complete inability to conduct or defend a siege.

I have yet to finish a single battle that's remotely even without having some significant casualties.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Xae posted:

Yeah, with a bit of trade attractiveness you get 1k each. And you get 3-5 per battle.

If some lord wants to have the worlds biggest Beanie Baby clay pig collection who am I to turn him down?

Unless you are in a hole, I’d rather trade them for favor and proxy wars. I get Cao Cao is easy mode but drat if it isn’t a blast to make your closest enemy get in a fight with your second enemy so they’re both weakened while you replenish and then roll in to mop up

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Diogines posted:

How is the AI?

It's bad op

E it's better than shogun 2s but shogun 2 has dreadful ai so that's not saying much

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Diogines posted:

How is the AI?

mixed. campaign ai seems good, knows how to create power blocks and backstab, can find your weak cities too. sometimes gives up places without a clear reason. very much plays like a dick. still competent play wins you 1vs1 as long as you dont get backstabbed

battle ai mostly fights competently but as long as your good at the game you should be able to win all but the most unbalanced battles. rarely it freaks out and just walks circles for 30 mins before attacking. a competent defense + towers will always devestate it

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

every tw's battle ai is garbage, it's like their thing. Game is good though

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The lady bandit betrayed me. :(

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
And after you carried your printer all that way...

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the whole dance back and forth helplessly trying to chase an enemy army routine really sucks when you have a set army limit

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
wut happened.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Diogines posted:

How is the AI?

ca has been justifiably travestied for its bad ai but honestly many of its games in semi-active development (everything subsequent to shogun 2) have improved by leaps and bounds over many years of patching. i'm playing an attila charlemagne campaign until three kingdoms is finished downloading and there's really nothing about the ai's behaviour for me to complain about. e: in most of these games the battle ai is pretty solid now while the campaign ai is still a bit screwy.

Zane fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 24, 2019

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mantis42 posted:

I'm playing Cao Cao. Xiahou Dun is failing me!

Same, but my Xiahou Dun's whooping rear end, got four enemy officer kills under his belt and it's only 194. Anyone know how to get his eyepatch?

Also, the unit markings turning black on snow maps is a godsend.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Same, but my Xiahou Dun's whooping rear end, got four enemy officer kills under his belt and it's only 194. Anyone know how to get his eyepatch?

Also, the unit markings turning black on snow maps is a godsend.

From what I saw on video it looks like it's caused by him getting shot at by arrows a bunch.

And yeah he's a beast for me. So Cao Cao. I loaned his car to xiahau Yuan for sick flanking action and have him dismount after charging in and he helps anchor the poo poo levies

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

You found the secret hardcore mode, Blind General. Fog of war all the time, everywhere.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Agean90 posted:

From what I saw on video it looks like it's caused by him getting shot at by arrows a bunch.

And yeah he's a beast for me. So Cao Cao. I loaned his car to xiahau Yuan for sick flanking action and have him dismount after charging in and he helps anchor the poo poo levies

1: There's an achievement for shooting arrows at Xiahou Dun
2: He solo'd a thousand of my troops in a bitter loving battle where all the other generals on both sides died (including cao cao, but he got better), and his entire force was dead or routed. His morale didn't even shake and he ended the fight with north of 700 kills

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well in fairness to Xiahou Dun, maybe I shouldn't have force marched him across the realm and then expected him to win a one on one duel.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

atelier morgan posted:

2: He solo'd a thousand of my troops in a bitter loving battle where all the other generals on both sides died (including cao cao, but he got better), and his entire force was dead or routed. His morale didn't even shake and he ended the fight with north of 700 kills

Sun Jian likes doing this too.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
UI feels weird at 1440p. also, information overload on campaign map.

game is pretty fun though

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Are people playing Romance or Records? I started a Cao Cao game on Romance, and I like it so far...except for the stupid ToB recruitment system where I have to dick around for 10 turns after recruiting guys to actually use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Devorum posted:

Are people playing Romance or Records? I started a Cao Cao game on Romance, and I like it so far...except for the stupid ToB recruitment system where I have to dick around for 10 turns after recruiting guys to actually use them.

You're the second guy who's posting that and it really confuses me. To people really wait for units to be at 100% replenished to think they're usable? :psyduck: