Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Midnight Voyager posted:

gently caress that first doctor, jesus. What's with these fucks and just refusing to believe symptoms or the word of their patient? She's a lesbian, Harold! She doesn't gently caress dudes! GO DOWN FARTHER IN YOUR LIST OF POSSIBILITIES.

When I was in high school, I broke a finger. The x-ray technician just kept trying to get me to admit I'd hosed before and might be pregnant. She did everything to get me to confess this, and when I didn't, she put the lead apron on me anyway. "Just in case". If you're gonna do it anyway, don't interrogate me about my lack-of-gently caress life!

When I was 16 I started having very irregular periods and honestly I didn't' give much of a poo poo because 3 months no period yay! I guess my step mom noticed and she dragged me to the hospital and they made me do x-rays and her and nurses were very badgering about if I did them then I'd harm my unborn child or they'd see it in the x-ray and then be mad about it.

Spoiler, I was a goddamn virgin. I told them that and they ignored me.

Also they seemed to find nothing at all because they left it at "x-rays look fine, keep on with your weird periods".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My job has me interacting with retired or semi-retired doctors that were the tops of their various fields.

It's amazing dealing with people for which reality its self could sooner bend and contort than ever see them wrong or mistaken about something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean hell, we're in the middle of a new drug crisis because docs love prescribing powerful opiates to anyone now, but seemingly especially old white dudes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

empty sea posted:

When I was 16 I started having very irregular periods and honestly I didn't' give much of a poo poo because 3 months no period yay! I guess my step mom noticed and she dragged me to the hospital and they made me do x-rays and her and nurses were very badgering about if I did them then I'd harm my unborn child or they'd see it in the x-ray and then be mad about it.

Spoiler, I was a goddamn virgin. I told them that and they ignored me.

Also they seemed to find nothing at all because they left it at "x-rays look fine, keep on with your weird periods".

last time i went to the hospital some years ago it was because i hadn't pissed in like three days, the doctor who came to see me badgered me for a good 20 minutes about whether or not i'd had sex with a bunch of dudes.

:smaug: "hmm nope never have"
:smuggo: "it's not illegal these days you know? i won't tell anyone if you admit it."
:smaug: "yeah i know i just haven't hosed a guy"
:smuggo: "are you absolutely sure?"
:smaug: "100% yes"
:smuggo: "you wouldn't be lying to me, would you? i'm here to help"

i dunno if it was his hosed up fantasy or what but he would not let it go. so eventually they tried drawing a sample from my bladder and they couldn't get anything, and when they did an ultrasound apparently my tank was just empty, despite drinking a gallon a day. and the next day it was fine, i could piss like a horse. to this day nobody knows where the three gallons of water i drank over those few days went :iiam:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus these women.

My husband turns into an anchor around my neck in the face of the smallest adversity. Should I stay with him?

My husband has the nails of a Chinese Mandarin and resembles a walking trash heap. How do I work through this?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I married a woman after she told me she killed her previous husbands for striking her. Later I struck her after learning that she fed honored guests crops stolen from a neighbor, now she's refusing to give me any of her long hair (which is her pride) with which i could use to restring my bow, which i am currently using to repel an army of bandit raiders. WIBTA if i just fuckin, stole some hair, or. . .

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
My boyfriend broke up with me and I think it’s all a huge mistake. How do I process this?

quote:

Okay, I want to cut to chase here. For the past year and a half, I have been dating this wonderful, but quiet, introverted, plagued with social anxiety and depression, geeky man, “Bob,” I met through a gaming group. Shortly after we started dating and he opened up about some THINGS I encouraged him to go to therapy and he started. We’ve been living together for a little over a year.

We had a rough July with some D&D fallout and friend troubles adding stress to our relationship but worked through everything. Can go into further detail on this but haven’t included for space.

One of Bob’s main mental health issues has been his inability to recognize feelings which he developed somehow as a coping mechanism in the course of his long-untreated depression (he described having outlooks I would think are depression since high school and we are early 30s). He started anti-depressants this May.

We went on vacation the first week in August, and it was lovely. And, on vacation, Bob was horny FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HIS LIFE. I thought this was awesome, and that it signaled that feelings and things were coming back to him. The next weekend, he was horny again! I was praising the heavens for this.

But that weekend also, he had a “rough” therapy session and spent a day processing his therapy and I asked if I had reason to worry and he said “he didn’t know how to answer that” so I worried. We had a heavy conversation for hours the next day about what he was processing: that he thought, as a result of the D&D fallout, that I had told him he couldn’t hang out with some of his friends and thus lost access to like 10 other friends he made through them. When he finally used his words and got this out of his brain spin, I was shocked and horrified. I had never said or wanted anything like that, and I told him that I was so sorry he spent any time thinking that, that that was not true, of course he can spend time with those friends (I may not for a while). I became dubious of the quality of his therapist at this time, as he reported to me that things his therapist asked him to help him process were “What would happen if she reacted like this to something you did?” and “What other friends will you lose?” which to me seem like questions ANXIETY provides and not that therapist should suggest? We spent the next day talking about our previous lack of intentionality regarding time with friends and discussed making sure that we balance together and separate friend time and his needs for alone time for future.

The next weekend, he had a rough therapy session again, but told me that he was still processing and that I had nothing to worry about. We went to the Ren Faire with friends (3 hour car round trip) and he said he had a great time because we problem-solved stress creating car time well (Hamilton Soundtrack) and going to shows and sitting for longer periods of time made him happier and not as overwhelmed by people. On Sunday we cleaned a bunch of the house, and moved a bunch of my stuff to the attic. He was still processing.

On Tuesday, I got home from work after him and he seemed super weird. I asked him what was wrong, and we sat down, and he told me he thinks we should break up. I have been flailing and I don’t know what to do. We talked for like two hours, he could give me no reasons (I’ve read several of your break-up posts and get that he doesn’t owe me it and stuff), and we agreed to take some space and slow things down for two weeks and re-evaluate.

I love him, and I really believe we are great together and balance each other very well. He says he still loves me. I don’t understand why he shut me out for 5 days and then got to here, and I’m extremely worried that he’s making a mistake based on head-spinning as he hasn’t used his words to communicate any problems and the week before 1 day processing in his head had him believing he was forbidden to see his friends.

I’m becoming more at peace with the perhaps inevitability of this, but the other part: He said that he’s had his feelings coming back and that they’re not all negative (a worry I had), and that he’s felt contentment on our vacation and I don’t understand how things could turn so quickly without any obvious conflict.

I really want to be around when he gets happy back, and if I don’t make him happy, fine. I’ve never experienced a breakup where the problem isn’t known, and hasn’t been discussed multiple times before.

There may be nothing I can do, but if I can help him use his words, or I can ask the right questions about his therapist to find out if bad therapist, or if misogynist therapist, then that would be useful.

We have had serious conversations, and discussed serious concerns, and solved them in every case prior so I just don’t understand not giving me the opportunity too…

We’re almost done 1 week of space and I just want to try for longer. :-/

-Hurt, and about to be Homeless

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scathach posted:

poo poo, condolences. My mom just had a major spinal/organ moving surgery because her doctors told her for years that all her symptoms were just laziness (my mom was an EMT and hiker, and not overweight). She couldn't breathe because her spine was hosed up and pressing her organs where they shouldn't be. If they'd figured out fifteen years ago my mom wouldn't have had to undertake such a risky surgery.

Like dude what incompetent doctor misses that a heart is BEHIND a lung? It took a loving xray tech to save her life.

My mom spent 35 days in the hospital for gallstones that caused pancreatitis. It turns out she had them for years but was never given the scan that would actually reveal them, so she continued gaining weight and the doctors just told her she wasn't exercising enough or eating right until she suddenly collapsed in agony and had to be taken to the hospital. One nurse assumed that she had pancreatitis due to alcoholism for some reason and abused her (like wrapping her in the sheets so she couldn't move and insulting her) until she could break through the haze of pain and medication to tell a doctor.

She made it out of surgery with a roughly 20% chance of survival, complete with a vision of her mother telling her it wasn't her time to die yet while she was on the table. Then in 2016 she had what we thought was a severe case of the flu but turned out to actually be torn mesh from her surgery going septic, and the doctor told us that if we waited another day she probably would have been beyond saving. I still have to live with her because she's physically weak and suffers pain and the risk of damage to her internal organs if she bends over so there's a lot of basic household stuff she can't do. All because nobody gave her one particular scan.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

gently caress Your Website posted:

My boyfriend broke up with me and I think it’s all a huge mistake. How do I process this?

Why all these dumb fuckers going for bustedass lovely men?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Because women constantly get the message "you're not going to get a Disney prince, you're not perfect, nobody's going to be perfect, you need to compromise and put more work into it, you're lucky you have this one"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Resting Lich Face posted:

They always preface it by talking about how wonderful they are but I can't help picturing some skinnyfat guy with weird facial hair and a nasally voice who ends up being the only person to give this girl attention because she's kinda weird herself. Because every time I encounter a couple like this in real life they look exactly like this.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Anne Whateley posted:

Because women constantly get the message "you're not going to get a Disney prince, you're not perfect, nobody's going to be perfect, you need to compromise and put more work into it"

Thank random chance I'm asexual then. I can't imagine being some dumbass brainwashed into loving some brokenass piece of poo poo failure of a human.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
Can you live with your ex?

quote:

I recently finalized the ending of a relationship…I say finalized because I’ve been trying to break up with my ex since October, but she finally was able to accept it months later…no matter how many times I told her, “my feelings for you have changed,” “I’m no longer attracted to you,” et al. For the record, she’s not a bad person…hardcore Geek Social Fallacy carrier, yes, but a generally decent, well intentioned (if a little misguided a lot of the time) human being. When the ending finally hit her, we were able to talk more openly than we have in months and are working out all the transitional stuff without conflict.

The question is this…we rent an apartment together with me taking on the bulk of the expenses as I make more money. While I could likely move with ease, she’s not in the same position…she wants us to stay as platonic roommates for another year, continue to work on our friendship as we move forward with our separate lives. Most of my Team Me think I am nuts for considering it. I’m torn. I don’t want to be the person who says, “F You, I don’t care, I am looking out for me,” but I want to be sure that I – and she, for that matter – can move on with our lives and be okay with it. I’m at the point where if I saw her with someone else, I’d be totally happy for her. No jealously, no angst. I don’t know that I trust her to be okay in the same way. It worries me that she refused to hear the very explicit statements I was making with regard to wanting to end our relationship, and I worry about how that could pan out should I meet someone else. On the other, we do work together in terms of splitting things up around the house well, and have pretty much been platonic roommates for the last year of our relationship.

Is this worth it to save money and hassle, or should I run, run, run?

Thanks, Domestically Challenged

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

please don't put words in my mouth

i'm not saying you don't have problems that stem from sexism. i'm saying that the doctors themselves, man or woman, can be ignorant fuckwads to their patients because they're too big for their own britches. my reading of your other post was that doctors will treat you this way because they're men, but a woman doctor would not; i'm saying, either would because they think they're the hottest poo poo in the world

Cool I think maybe you just didn't fully see my post in context then. From my perspective it was this:

*Lots of women discussing their experiences centered around doctors being sexist around topics of sexual activity and health*
One poster: oh boy I am glad I've only been to expensive doctors in prestigious hospitals. I'm sorry people have to deal with crappy doctors!
Me: it's not about the quality of the doctor, sexism in medicine affects women no matter how much they pay or how hard they work to find 'one of the good ones'
You: actually I know a man who had a bad experience with a doctor, so there's no sexism in medicine, only elitism
Me: no, it's both.

Also women can also be sexist, and so female doctors can also be sexist but this absolutely doesn't mean that women don't deal with extra poo poo on top of the regular poo poo.

If your point was 'female doctors can be sexist too', that's fine and we agree. If your point was 'there's no sexist element to bad medicine, it's just doctors randomly being bad' then we disagree.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Can you live with your ex?

You can live with an ex. But they can't, because she's refusing to accept they're exes.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I seriously gently caress with that one posters if then conditionals about sexism and doctors being trash humans

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
Six months in and things are not good

quote:

I have been seeing this guy for the past 6months long distance. We visit every few months. This past visit was the longest we’ve spent together (3 weeks) and it was somewhat a rollercoaster. A few things went wrong here and there of course that was bumpy. Overall I felt disrespected, confused, and disgusted. I told my partner that the state of his apartment made me feel uncomfortable (he’s a borderline hoarder w/ no access to his kitchen, getting electricity off the grid, walking space is lessening) and he responded by saying it’s related to my trauma. I understood that, yet he did nothing to increase my comfort while I was there. The mess continued to be an issue while I was there (losing things, bugs, mice) and finally before I left I told him that I felt like my feelings weren’t being taken seriously. He didn’t take this well and acted standoffish towards me afterwards. I’m back home now, and I’m feeling much better to be in a de-cluttered space. It’s been a week and I’ve asked that he take some space for himself and get help. We chatted briefly about it. I tried to check in today and got no response. I only know that he’s alive bc of his social media postings (some of which have been passive aggressive) I don’t know what to do at this point. I’m ready to give up and call it quits……should I give him more time? If so how much time is enough?
DONT LET HIM GET AWAY HON HES THE ONE I CAN FEEL IT!!!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Why the gently caress do people do the whole long distance relationship thing?

Never loving works,

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Six months in and things are not good

DONT LET HIM GET AWAY HON HES THE ONE I CAN FEEL IT!!!

Why why why why why why

gently caress..... gently caress.

Never loving works,

It can work if there is going to be an end game of one of the two people moving in a determined set of time. If you are doing it with no end then yes you are right.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
My daughter (24F) is dating someone incompatible, please help!

quote:

First off, I want to let it be known that we are a family of Christians; I believe there is only one true God and that to be saved it must be through Jesus Christ. I have raised both my children “Paul” – 19 years old – and “Mary” – 24 years old – to be strong in faith and put their trust in God.

However, I fear for my daughter’s life. She recently confessed to me (this past summer) that she is seeing someone, let’s call him “Jim.” Jim is not who I want for my daughter and I worry that their incompatibilities and differences will lead to her being hurt.

One, his family is Catholic. We are a Baptist Christian family. I don’t believe in the teachings of Catholicism. Even worse, Jim is an atheist and does not believe in God and I feel that he will drag Mary down spiritually. This is the biggest thing that I am scared of, and while I have tried to tell Mary that she should break up with Jim for her own wellbeing, she will ignore me or pretend I didn’t say anything. It hurts me deeply that she would choose to ignore her own mother like this. She should know that God’s love is not to be taken lightly.

Secondly, We are a Chinese family and Jim is from an American family. I worry that the cultural compatibility will be an issue.

Three, Mary has a masters degree whereas Jim has only his bachelor’s. I feel that he will come to resent my daughter for having a higher education since he is the man in the relationship (and I have seen many relationships end because of this).

Four, I am scared that he will be a bad influence on Mary. He does not smoke or do drugs but according to Mary he does drink on occasion. Mary tells me she does not drink (she claims she does not see the point) but for how long until she gives into the temptation of drinking? What about peer pressure from hanging out with his family and his friends?

Five, I feel like Mary is settling in life and Jim is a result of that. Another example: She is in a marketing job and they are not paying her very well (only 40K and she has a masters degree). She says she loves it but I don’t think she does, I think she’s just trying to rebel against me. She doesn’t even listen to my suggestions that she move back home to Virginia (she lives in New York) to save on rent or so that I can help her grow.

Six, I am scared that Jim will pressure Mary to do sexual things. I have already warned her that her purity is an important gift from God, but I am so scared that she will ignore my pleas. And because Jim is a man, I am worried that he may rape her even if she says no.

Mary has always been very independent, but she is still young and not mature. I need help in making her realize that Jim is not a good person for her and that she will suffer in the long run as a result from being with him. If she does not break up with God, how can I help lead them back to God so that they can have a Christ-like relationship?

Thank you,
Concerned Mother
Later...

quote:

I saw your response on your website and thank you for writing back but I don’t think you understand. As I have said, while she is very independent she is not yet mature (she can be very selfish and I fear her being in New York has taught her to value the materialistic things of this world).

Even if you do not believe in God, we do. So please understand my very real fear that she is signing up to spend eternity in hell because she chooses an un-Christian-like lifestyle. Again, understand a mother’s love for her children. I will do anything I can to protect my children, and that means making sure that they are going down a righteous path. I am not selfish, if I was I would have demanded that she moved back to Virginia. I would have told her not to take the job she took. I would not have helped pay for her education or rent. Knowing this, can you truly say I am the selfish one? It seems like Mary is the selfish one who is using me when it is convenient or benefits her.

I want what’s best for my daughter. I have prayed many times and know that God has a plan for her, that she is to become a missionary one day and that she is to marry a man of faith. That man is not Jim. Mary thinks it is, but that is because Mary again is trying to run away from God. But as we know, we cannot run from God, for He is everywhere (like with Jonah and the fish). I just want to stop her from making mistakes in life that cannot be taken back.

I had written to you in hopes that you can provide good advice for me, but please understand that I am looking for good advice. Please help.

Thank you,
Concerned Mother

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Never loving works,
These people aren't people who were together and one of them moved away. They meet online and decide that they're dating. It doesn't matter that it never works because if you're someone who's willing to consider yourself in a relationship with someone you've never met you must not think there are any other viable alternatives.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry darling. At six months he's legally a tenant in your life. You're stuck with him for a few more years while the eviction process plays out.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy

Never loving works,

Facts. I tried it once. I only did it because she was the hottest girl I've ever dated.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

These people aren't people who were together and one of them moved away. They meet online and decide that they're dating. It doesn't matter that it never works because if you're someone who's willing to consider yourself in a relationship with someone you've never met you must not think there are any other viable alternatives.

It's also really easy to ignore red flags and keep this kind of relationship going, because you don't spend enough face-to-face time together to get that you're incompatible. Combined with the loneliness/romantic desperation of your average nerd, and you can get gangrenous pseudo-relationships lingering on for years.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Later...

this makes me angrier than the smug filthy garbage men

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
Here’s one woman who’s successfully moved on from a long distance relationship to dating a dude right in her neighborhood! Surely this will be a huge improvement!

quote:

So I’m seeing a Dude. We’re very new; I started dating him about two months ago but one month in, I went to Spain for a month and just got back.

I like this dude. He’s handsome, smart, and seems to have his head together. The sex is great. But! There are some issues, already. He lives across the street from me. My last relationship was long-distance for five years, and I’m quite used to my independence and need a lot of space. My ideal relationship: I see him maybe once or twice a week! We have amazing sex and fun times! We also occupy ourselves with our friends and work! We get closer from there over several months naturally, as we discover more about each other and realize how much we like each other! Maybe we wind up practically living at each other’s houses, at some point!

His ideal relationship (as it seems to me): I am literally over at his place allll the time, spend the night allllll the time, and am very very intertwined with him unless he’s at work, allll the time, from the moment of meeting him on.

We’ve had some issues around this already. He asked me randomly (I think it was on our third date) when I was going to “make time for him.” (on a date, when I was literally making time for him as we spoke). I say something complementary about the décor of his apartment; he replies with a snarky comment about how if I liked it so much I’d be there more. On our second date, he said if we weren’t spending Christmas together we’d “better be spending Thanksgiving together” (I was still trying to decide between several different options for Thanksgiving, all of which were friends / family who were not him, as we’d basically just met). Later, he said he didn’t say that thing about Thanksgiving.

So I just got back from Spain. I called him when I got back, and he wanted me to come out to a bar to meet him. I didn’t want to, because I was jet lagged and had a headache (did I mention I started having chronic headaches shortly after we met? Unrelated to him—I swear). I said no to the bar, and he said “I’m coming home to see you then!” Anyway, I was headachy, jet lagged and tired, and at first I said yes (because I really did want to see him), but then thought about it and called back to ask if we could reschedule for the next day because really I just wanted to go to bed and recover from the trip. He seemed upset and hurt, and made some snarky comments about how I “seemed to have a set bedtime.” I suggested meeting up the next afternoon and he seemed irritated by the whole idea. Anyway, I guess we are meeting up tomorrow afternoon but now he seems to have some sort of feelings about that.

I want to give him a chance, but I really don’t like this pattern. The headache situation is pretty bad; I’m very worried about it and am proactively trying to address it (lots of doctor’s appointments; I’m getting health insurance next week, etc.) In this situation, I seem to have less capacity to deal with relationship demands.

I’m not sure how skewed my perception is though; I’m not sure if a). my last long-distance relationship messed up my idea of what a “healthy” relationship or getting-to-know-you pace is, or b). if my headache is basically making me unable to be in a relationship; or c). if he’s being wayyyy clingy (or more accurately, would be more comfortable if I was wayyyyy clingy) and wanting to push this relationship along faster than I’m comfortable with.
He’s so great, everything about him is just great! Except the minor fact he’s a living red flag factory but we can work past that

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 24, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Later...

Like on the one hand she’s right, men can totally be capable of rape and he will absolutely drag her daughter into the tarry black pits of hell, but this entitlement about a 40k salary with a masters? Bitch, I know PhDs who make like 18k. A masters ain’t poo poo unless it’s in finance or you sell your soul to pharma and even then you’ll top out at 70ish. You need to let that 40k isn’t enough ship sail into the sunset.

But A+ on the whole corruption angle, behind you 100%

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Because they happen to not be lesbians and don't want to lead a life of abstinence

What I'm saying is that all men are bustedass and lovely

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Something isn't sitting right about this one with me. Yep, he has critical sadbrains, but assumptions like "She doesn't want me to be friends with these 10+ people" don't just fall out of the sky.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

gently caress that first doctor, jesus. What's with these fucks and just refusing to believe symptoms or the word of their patient? She's a lesbian, Harold! She doesn't gently caress dudes! GO DOWN FARTHER IN YOUR LIST OF POSSIBILITIES.

When I was in high school, I broke a finger. The x-ray technician just kept trying to get me to admit I'd hosed before and might be pregnant. She did everything to get me to confess this, and when I didn't, she put the lead apron on me anyway. "Just in case". If you're gonna do it anyway, don't interrogate me about my lack-of-gently caress life!

We've got enough computer touchers in here that a lot of people are familiar with the phrase "users lie." I'm guessing it works the same way with patients. I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure I'd rather cause some offense trying to sniff out a lie rather than accidentally irradiating someone's baby.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Xequecal posted:

We've got enough computer touchers in here that a lot of people are familiar with the phrase "users lie." I'm guessing it works the same way with patients. I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure I'd rather cause some offense trying to sniff out a lie rather than accidentally irradiating someone's baby.

People literally die from this poo poo, don't reduce it to 'causing offense'.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

HazCat posted:

People literally die from this poo poo, don't reduce it to 'causing offense'.

I'm not referring to the actual diagnosis errors, I'm referring to them pestering her constantly about potential pregnancy before doing an xray.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Xequecal posted:

'Everybody lies', etc. Though that probably didn't help since now every doctor thinks he's House just because he has a PhD, a lovely attitude and a pill addiction. Problem is when the doctor does exactly the opposite and refuses to budge from their initial baseless assumption and ignores all evidence and symptoms to the contrary, especially when said assumption comes down to 'she's a lying whore'.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Boyfriend Wants To Spend Time With Me Lady fundamentally has the same problem as the Six Black Chicks "This man loves my imperfect rear end so much he wants to eat dinner off it."

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Xequecal posted:

I'm not referring to the actual diagnosis errors, I'm referring to them pestering her constantly about potential pregnancy before doing an xray.

It's 'instead of doing an xray', though. This isn't just some uncomfortable gauntlet women need to go through before they get treatment. They regularly are refused (or never offered) treatments because doctors assume they are pregnant or sexually active or exaggerating their pain or lying for attention.

You're making it sound like it's acceptable or understandable for doctors to make these assumptions because 'better safe than sorry', but the actual real world application of this is women dying from treatable illnesses.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The intersection of this is that the US has childbirth mortality rates comparable to Third World countries for black women specifically to the point where Presidential candidates are specifically running on legislation to try to force hospitals to provide a better standard of care.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy

HazCat posted:

It's 'instead of doing an xray', though. This isn't just some uncomfortable gauntlet women need to go through before they get treatment. They regularly are refused (or never offered) treatments because doctors assume they are pregnant or sexually active or exaggerating their pain or lying for attention.

You're making it sound like it's acceptable or understandable for doctors to make these assumptions because 'better safe than sorry', but the actual real world application of this is women dying from treatable illnesses.

But to be fair there are so many dumbasses who lie to their doctors I dont blame them for skeptical.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I’m not a doctor lawyer so I’m not sure of the answer but if you lie to your doctor and get hurt because of the treatment you don’t get to sue them, right? Like, doctors aren’t this way for fear of malpractice lawsuits?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

I’m not a doctor lawyer so I’m not sure of the answer but if you lie to your doctor and get hurt because of the treatment you don’t get to sue them, right? Like, doctors aren’t this way for fear of malpractice lawsuits?

Lol they absolutely can sue and might even win.

They absolutely are the way they are because of malpractice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Homo Simpson posted:

But to be fair there are so many dumbasses who lie to their doctors I dont blame them for skeptical.

And yet they suddenly become much less sceptical dealing with white men and entirely happy to prescribe them the good pills.

There's a long, long medical history of doctors writing off all of women's problems up to influenza, depression and heart attacks as 'hysteria' and/or pregnancy, kind of one of the big triggers of original feminism was women being fed up of being told all their problems were either made up for attention or all in their heads.